• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Luis Suárez (FW) to Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Manchester City line up £40m bid to lure Luis Suarez from Liverpool FC

by Ian Doyle

MANCHESTER CITY are poised to make a huge push to lure Luis Suarez away from Liverpool in the January transfer window.

City manager Roberto Mancini is keen to bolster his striking options with his team having struggled to replicate the form that earned a dramatic Premier League title last season.

And the Eastlands outfit are ready to turn his attentions to Liverpool’s in-form Suarez, with City likely to be rebuffed in any attempt to sign in-demand Atletico Madrid forward Falcao given the Colombia international’s believed preference of a move to Chelsea.

Mancini wants to restructure his forward line and is looking to move on Mario Balotelli having lost patience with the Italian, with both Milan and Balotelli’s former club Inter interested in signing the firebrand forward.

Moneybags Paris Saint-Germain, managed by Carlo Ancelotti, are also monitoring Balotelli, who has yet to find the net in the Premier League this season.

Liverpool will not encourage any bids for Suarez, who only signed a new long-term contract in August after arriving in a £22.8million deal from Ajax in January 2011.

But City are acutely aware of the financial restraints Fenway Sports Group have imposed on Brendan Rodgers and could test the water with a bid in the region of £40million.

Last week, Rodgers admitted chances of keeping the Uruguay international at Anfield for future seasons will depend on to what extent the club can bolster their under-strength squad.

The Liverpool manager, who is intent on signing “two or three” players in the New Year, had said: “That’s the task for everyone here – the manager and the board – to sell the club moving forward.

“I have had great support from Luis since I have been here. Both on and off the pitch he’s really bought into what we are trying to do.

“The way of working suits his style and it’s up to us as a club to keep moving forward and, when you do that, top players want to be around.

“He loves the club, he loves the football and everything about the training. He seems to be in a good place. It’s up to us as a club to add players that can help support him and move us on.”

Suarez has been in outstanding form this season, his equaliser that earned a 1-1 Premier League draw at Chelsea last Sunday his 11th strike of the campaign in all competitions and moving him alongside Manchester United’s Robin van Persie in the leading scorer stakes.

It’s not the first time Mancini has courted members of the current Liverpool squad. The City manager was keen on both Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger during the summer, only for the Anfield outfit to resist the interest – rejecting two bids for Agger – before the duo reaffirmed their commitment by signing new long-term deals.

http://www.liverpool...99623-32234117/

OhYaBeauty

How is this anything near reliable enough to start a thread?

Journo's thought process: Suarez is good. Manchester City buy good players for large fees. Suarez to City for 40m.

lol

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Utter bullshit, of course, just lazy journalism of which there is a lot around nowadays.

Nikola

Admin
How is this anything near reliable enough to start a thread?

Journo's thought process: Suarez is good. Manchester City buy good players for large fees. Suarez to City for 40m.
It is Liverpool Daily Post and it is close to the club and Liverpool Echo endorsed the story on their Twitter feed. Also, City have the money and we have already sold one world class player in January not long ago under this regime. Until Suarez himself denies it, it will remain open.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
"could test the water with a bid in the region of £40million."

Not only will Suarez be going nowhere as the story basically rebuffs it's own point, it made up the amount out of thin air, I thought the Echo reporters rubbished it on their twitter accounts as just rumour.

I also bet Falcao doesn't go to Chelsea til the summer if ever.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I'm not sure why anyone would be adamant that Man City wouldn't make the attempt to buy Suarez. Leagues top scorer, on a struggling team, a player who would work magic with Tevez and Aguero, they are having trouble with one of their current strikers, they as a team are scoring a lot less than they were last season and they have buckets of money.

Doesn't mean that theres a chance in hell we'd accept it though. We just signed his extension, given his current form I think anything under 50mp is just testing the waters.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I doubt that we will sell Suarez in January ... However, there is a realistic possibility that he will be on the market in the summer ... I know that people will have difficulties accepting this, but we are a mid-table selling club at the moment, and we will be one as long as FSG are in charge ... I can't see him going to Man City, but the European big boys will certainly make a strong push for him in the summer ...

LFC7NH

We sold a declining Torres for 50 million. Suarez must be worth 100 million plus.

Not that I would accept even that, of course...

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Real though the interest may be, I can't imagine us accepting an offer for him. Would be game-over for the owners and they know that. I fully expect Rodgers to come out and absolutely rubbish the notion of us letting Suárez go.

Thought experiment: Balotelli and Dzeko for Suárez-- yes or no?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that I would say yes to that.

Nikola

Admin
I guess that nothing is impossible in football today, as much as I hate to admit it. As a kid, I didn't think that Owen will ever leave. As a slightly bigger kid, I thought that Torres would stay when Kenny got back, especially after enduring torrid days with Hodgson. Now... I can tell that Suarez looks damn happy, fans love him, I don't think that there's a song that is sung more often and louder to a player than his song (and the other one about the fictitious time when he gets a pen). However, I won't be believing blindly that he will stay even if we don't get into Champions League soon or if owners accept a huge offer for him from another club.

LFC7NH

Real though the interest may be, I can't imagine us accepting an offer for him. Would be game-over for the owners and they know that. I fully expect Rodgers to come out and absolutely rubbish the notion of us letting Suárez go.

No thank you...

Quality over quantity. They're good players, yes, but Suarez is a class above them.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Rodgers has already said that any player has a price ...

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
We tell them we want £100m, if they agree to pay....we tell them to be quiet....sign players we want under the pretence of no cash....cha-ching.

I'd want £100m minimum though.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I think it only makes sense to sell a player who just signed a new contract if you can get more than what your giving up. For Suarez I would need a top 5 striker in the world plus enough money to buy another decent player, around 10-15mp.

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
I'd die a little inside if Suarez left us, especially for a Premier League team and also after how this club has stood by him.

Luckily, looks like BS.

lfc.8

Suarez for £40m no chance. £50m no chance.

Far too good a player. But this just shows why we need to strengthen the team. We need to add a few quality players so we can compete. 4 transfer windows so far with these owners and we've only bought 1 world class player. 4 transfer windows and we're still no where near Champions League football. Simply not good enough.

What world class player would come to us after selling Suarez along with no champions league football. Wouldn't be easy.

I don't see Suarez going to another English club, but if Barcelona or Real show interest, it may be different. But still we shouldn't be selling our best players. We need to build on from what we've got. Investment is needed.

OhYaBeauty

Nope. But I'd think about Tevez-Balotelli.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I don't see Suarez going to another English club, but if Barcelona or Real show interest, it may be different. But still we shouldn't be selling our best players. We need to build on from what we've got. Investment is needed.
Agreed 100% ... FSG need to show ambition, and they need to do it fast ... Otherwise, Barca and Real Madrid will be knocking on our door on July 1st ...

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Otherwise, Barca and Real Madrid will be knocking on our door on July 1st ...
Speaking only as a football fan and not a Liverpool supporter, seeing Luis with those kinds of players around him would be absolutely magical. Luis and Cristiano? Luis and Iniesta? Would almost make it worth it.

Almost...

ptt

2020, head of the table.
£50m and Tevez wouldn't be too bad a deal. No chance though. I'd rather he went abroad though and I think he'd prefer to get away from our media and its opinion of him.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Speaking only as a football fan and not a Liverpool supporter, seeing Luis with those kinds of players around him would be absolutely magical. Luis and Cristiano? Luis and Iniesta? Would almost make it worth it.

Almost...
Personally, I still think that Luis can be surrounded by top class players at LFC, if only FSG can pull their finger out of their arse ...

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
Every player in any team have their price, but 40 mil is nowhere near it. Don't get me wrong, he is without a doubt liverpool a best player at the minute and I would want to see him leave, however 60 mil would buy a hell of a lot of good players. If fsg were to give it all to Rodgers and dip into their pockets a bit with it you could build quite an impressive team. On the other hand, spend the money like Kenny did and we would cement our place in mid table next season

LFC7NH

Every player in any team have their price, but 30 mil is nowhere near it. Don't get me wrong, he is without a doubt liverpool a best player at the minute and I would want to see him leave, however 60 mil would buy a hell of a lot of good players. If fsg were to give it all to Rodgers and dip into their pockets a bit with it you could build quite an impressive team. On the other hand, spend the money like Kenny did and we would cement our place in mid table next season
I can't tell if you want him to stay or go :huh:

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
I can't tell if you want him to stay or go :huh:
Would like him to stay however I can understand why fsg may be tempted. I think Rodgers has big plans for him and I can't see him letting Saurez go unless a transfer request is handed in ala Torres

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
I will say this once, and once only before i retire to my transfer window cave f'cking earlier than i thought.

If this happens, FSG can go do one and i will never, ever watch the epl again. This league is going to hell in a handcart and we are becoming the next Arsenal. Selling our top players to rivals.

Money has officially ruined this once great game.................

lancashirelad

Well now its been picked up by the telegraph, and the mirror and it will be in all the papers tomorrow morning, that still doesn't make it true of course.

To slightly misquote Chruchill
"A transfer rumor gets halfway around the world before Luis has a chance to get his pants on"

ptt

2020, head of the table.
The best footballers are like the best wines, their prices are exponential. I player (or wine) that's 20% better than something that's already very good will be twice the price or more. I've argued before that having one world class player in an average squad is a waste for all involved as he could be effectively be swapped for 2-3 excellent players who would, in combination, be worth far more to the team in terms of goals and performances. Improving a team like Barca would in the main cost £40m+ per position. Improving our squad would in the main cost £15m+ per position (spent wisely)

There is, I think, a good argument that Suarez's value would be better converted to several very good players to strengthen our team. Or it might be a pile of fetid dingo's kidneys. I think we'll find out too.........

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Every player in any team have their price, but 40 mil is nowhere near it. Don't get me wrong, he is without a doubt liverpool a best player at the minute and I would want to see him leave, however 60 mil would buy a hell of a lot of good players. If fsg were to give it all to Rodgers and dip into their pockets a bit with it you could build quite an impressive team. On the other hand, spend the money like Kenny did and we would cement our place in mid table next season
You do realize that Kenny was the one that has signed Suarez in the first place? So, if we go by your estimation that Suarez is now worth 60 million, that we have sold Adam for 6 million, and that we can get at least 50 million for Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Enrique and Coates, it turns out that Kenny has actually made us a profit ...

Status
Not open for further replies.