Mamadou Sakho (CB) Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by kipland007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Enough of all this right and left sided CB nonsense....what I want to know is who is our out and out best RCAM for teams playing through the central channels with the low block game

2. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

I think that would be Gerrard.

3. redbj

you obviously didn't get the hipster football memo.

Gerrard was a rogue, positionally un sophisticated, narcistic Hollywood ball lover who failed to fit into any system this club could produce.....

lfc.eddie and legalalien like this.
  4. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Of course it's important, it was absolute horror watching Skrtel as LCB in some games when he had to do it. Remember Arsenal away in 2011 under Kenny (think it was a draw, Kuyt equalizing late on from a penalty), made so many mistakes in leaving space while trying to do everything with his right foot. More technical/mobile CB's who are right footed are often more suited to do the LCB role. Of course, you sometimes get opposite cases like Ferdinand (RCB) and Vidic (LCB) par example, so it's not a rule of course (can depend on other factors as well, other players around them, maybe if Evra is more comfortable on the ball than whoever on the right, who mainly starts in midfield, etc.), but something that needs considering as well.

Must say I expected Lovren to remain at RCB and Matip play as LCB last summer in pre-season, but from the first game it was opposite. Both of them are the ones who can do a job (slightly better or worse, depends) on both sides.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  5. Icedagger

Icedagger New Member

Sakho made his bed. My heart says give him another chance, but my head says it's only a matter of time before his immaturity lets us down. Again. Just like missing the Europa league final because of pills, or his stupid celebration with benteke, or his stupid middle of the night tweets, or etc...

6. Sold Heskey

Sold Heskey Freedom ain't free...

Yep, I think Sakho has reached the point of no return which is a shame as he probably is our best defender

costared likes this.
  7. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

I really don't get this myth about him being our best defender. He is in my view very overrated

redfanman, Krimson and lfc.eddie like this.
  8. redbj

He probably isn't overrated.

He's rated highly, and for a lot of fans, who want only the best for LFC, it hurts, so every claim like the one you poor scorn over, is met with derision.

It's simply not good enough in my opinion to just blank every rating of sahko with 'overrated, cause I said so'

He's definately superior to klavan and Lucas, Gomez has a long road to be compared....lovren, at best, can try and claim some parity, but that's a bit of a stretch.....which just leaves Joel matip.....

And don't take this the wrong way, I like the player and think he should be our first choice....but if sahko is overrated, what exactly is matip....he's quite good, calming.....but he's getting a status at LFC slightly above what I saw his performances require.....simply for not being 'any of the above' to be honest.

The statement was that sahko is currently our best defender....in my mind...and probably most on here...only Joel matip gets to challenge that statement....and that's not by this huge margin, If at all....that everyone wants us to believe.

Every single one of them is injured too much, too.

9. Flobs

Flobs FADA

It really is so easy to say a player is overrated or whatever with out saying by whom or why. I mean what is it a player is overrated at doing? or what is it that makes him good?
    There's a lot these days made over technical ability (which shouldn't be scoffed at) however there have been some bloody good defenders who were not particularly good technically though easily made up for it in commitment, concentration ..;;
    Having said that LFC need defenders with good technical ability due to how they (Klopp) wants to play.
    I prefer to say I like a player and I like Sakho and I like Moreno. :tongue::wave:

norwegian wood, redbj and Scott Jones like this.
  10. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

You might need to also look at the double pivot in that trequarista position....

Barnestormer likes this.
  11. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

The post I was responding to stated that he was our best defender. He is not.

I then stated I think he is overrated, a view I have held for a long time. I did not say any of our defenders were top notch, I don't believe they are.

Matip in my view is the best we have but he needs to improve significantly to become top drawer.

That is not pouring scorn over anyone else at all

redfanman and Glenn Hysén like this.
  12. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

Not having a pop at anyone but Sakho is leaving the club so how well he is rated is irrelevant really. Personally he never totally convinced me and his injury record is always a concern but is he a better Pro than Lovren or Matip? Klopp seems to think not and his is the opinion that matters. Anyway good luck to him wherever he ends up.

13. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

You say he is not like it's categorical fact but it's only your opinion. A settled, fit, in form Sakho is at least as good as Matip has shown and in my opinion better. Matip has been promising in his first season, but we are much stronger defensively on the right than on the left, and when Sakho was playing for us we were even weaker. Matip last season had better players around him, helping him than Sakho has ever had and there's still a question. So it's not a myth like you claim, it's a debate based on opinions.

redbj likes this.
  14. Red Skip

Red Skip Red Skip

My sense is that Klopp has become dissatified with Sakho will his lack of professional attitude and not his ability as a footballer.

Maria and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  15. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Yes! we got that and done it to death thank you. :yawn:

16. lightdrizzle

lightdrizzle TIA Reserve Team

Im sure VVD valuation has gone up today, but with Palace 2 nil down at half time against Huddersfield, i bet those Palace fans will screaming for the chairman to splash the cash on Sakho.

treboeth and Alright Now like this.
  17. vishal-lfc

vishal-lfc TIA Youth Team

It's a shame Sakho is not in the team with THAT defence against Watford!

18. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Even if he was allowed back in the squad, he would not have played because he is still unfit.

19. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to Sakho. I honestly don't rate him as highly as some. Problem is that if you put him in Zonally for either Matip of Lovren and he stands there like they did then the first goal still goes in.

20. Isle

Isle Active Member

I happen to share your view. I like Matip as a player but IMO he's overrated by supporters. No 'fancy advanced stats' to back that up, just the eye test. He's a finesse player that does well operating with the ball in space but I wouldn't say he's overly physical or a cerebral assassin when play breaks down and chaos ensues. Again, I do like him, I want to make that clear. The other thing I've noticed among supporters is that Matip seems to be off limits to any constructively critical discussion, without someone being offended. Very odd.

EDIT: Anyway, the thread is about Sakho. It's becoming egregious asset mismanagement to simply let the player rot.

21. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

Watching Palace losing 0-3 at home and their defence looked really shaky.
    Expect them coming with a bid for Sakho very soon.

Halftime Ice likes this.
  22. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

Ours wasn't too solid at Watford!

Halftime Ice likes this.
  23. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

Yes, but Sakho is finished for Liverpool with Klopp at the helm and that is the end of the matter.
    And I don't think he deserves to be back at the club showing zero respect last season.

24. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

Never say never. I thought Moreno was finished as a footballer he now appears to be our first choice Left back, and good on him for having the resolve to refuse to leave and fight for his place.

Sakho certainly appears to be finished here, but you never know. He is a as good as or better than all our defenders. If he is not gone by September or VVD is not signed, we'd be stupid to not involve him in at least the league cup games.

Personally I'd be delighted to see a chink of light appear for him. Pretty sure he'd smash the door open.

25. Anfield rd Dreamer

I've also said a few times that I disagree with punishment without the chance of redemption. He's had a year from hell and nearly all the "crimes" he committed were individually not that bad. Mostly all happened in a very short time frame too. He went from first on the team sheet to off in the reserves within a couple of months! It all escalated really fast. Hes been punished now. I see no reason why he cant be taken back into the side on Klopps terms?

kwala likes this.
  26. Halftime Ice

Halftime Ice Well-Known Member

But would he stand there? Watching him play for Palace last season,it was the fact that he was on so alive to danger in the box that made them so hard to beat. Add to that his strength,determination and leadership makes him a starter ahead of both the other two for me. We really are too nice at the back,not to mention generous.

27. Halftime Ice

Many would say Lovren is unfit.:-)

treboeth and Scott Jones like this.
  28. Anfield rd Dreamer

People seem to think players aren't allowed to react to danger with zonal marking. It's untrue. You need players with a bit of intelligence that can read situations and communicate with each other.

T.C.B and Halftime Ice like this.
  29. Halftime Ice

I think our defenders just like to ball watch tbh, it's a new ball this season with pretty pattern's,so we are even more fucked.:-)

30. Anfield rd Dreamer

Need someone in there to, at the very least, shout "Hendo man on the run" and stuff like that even if they aren't dealing with the danger themselves. As well as being statues on replays our guys usually have their mouths shut too.

RedSeven, Halftime Ice and Red Armada like this.