• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Man Utd v Liverpool ( EPL 24/02 1405 ko)

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
4-2-3-1

Alisson
Milner VvD Fabinho Robertson
Henderson Wijnaldum
Salah Shaqiri Mané
Firmino
Confidence and form are critical factors in football, probably even moreso than individual quality. United are on a high and I think we will respect that, particularly as this is a horrible place to go even when times are bad for United.

Imo we will line up quite defensively in midfield in a 433. If Klopp goes with Trent which I don't think he will, then I fully expect a Hendo, Gini, Milly midfield. But whatever the case for RB, pushing bravado aside for the time-being, I don't see a spot for Shaq in the starting lineup for this particular game - A very emotive away game against an in-form, attacking, United. Not unless one of the front 3 are injured (ill). I think any of Gini-Hendo-Keita or Gini-Fab-Keita or Gini-Fab-Hendo will work if Milly is deputising at RB.

sms1986

Klopp's had his press conference, comments from the BBC site -

Klopp is first asked about Fabinho and what position he will play: "His natural position is midfield but he can play centre half and that makes him valuable for us," he says.

"We will see what happens but he is a midfielder and we will use him more in that position."

"Sunday's game is a big one. It is a difficult one. They are physically strong and defend well and attack well.

"They scored brilliant goals against Chelsea and are full of confidence. We will go there and try to get a result there."

How different is this game to December's game? [the last game of Jose Mourinho's tenure] "It looked there was a difficult time but they found a solution and everything has changed. We see Pogba in outstanding shape and they are now full of confidence and it makes a big different. Sometimes you need changes and this time it was the manager.

"They are different but still United and can still defend deep and can put the pressure on in key moments."

More from Klopp on the importance of the game:
"I cannot write your stories - we are just preparing for a football game.

"We cannot make the game bigger because it is a decisive moment.

"We all have to show we are ready for the game and win it. That is difficult, but it is possible. There is so much talk before football games but we have to play it.

"We have to concentrate on football. We are a well-organised team with a lot of potential."

Injury latest - Back to wrap up the final few bits of Jurgen Klopp's news conference.

On the injury front, Dejan Lovren and Joe Gomez are out for the Reds but the German says everyone else is in training.

Rhian Brewster is doing little bits of training and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is doing more but is not yet ready to play.

"Usually about now I get a message to say someone is ill so I'm still a bit nervous," joked Klopp.

And there is praise from Klopp for United interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who he believes will be the next permanent manager at Old Trafford.

"It must be one of the best records that a manager has ever had coming in mid-season," he says.

"The potential that this Manchester United team has is really good. He came in and found the right words and I’m really happy for him to show his quality.

"There is no doubt that he will be the manager next year."

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Confidence and form are critical factors in football, probably even moreso than individual quality. United are on a high and I think we will respect that, particularly as this is a horrible place to go even when times are bad for United.

Imo we will line up quite defensively in midfield in a 433. If Klopp goes with Trent which I don't think he will, then I fully expect a Hendo, Gini, Milly midfield. But whatever the case for RB, pushing bravado aside for the time-being, I don't see a spot for Shaq in the starting lineup for this particular game - A very emotive away game against an in-form, attacking, United. Not unless one of the front 3 are injured (ill). I think any of Gini-Hendo-Keita or Gini-Fab-Keita or Gini-Fab-Hendo will work if Milly is deputising at RB.
Not bringing Shaqiri on vs. Bayern and not speaking about him at the moment - i think Klopp is planning to surprise ManU with starting him. He scored two goals against them.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Was about to post my lineup, but saw it was going to be exactly the same as yours so instead I shall just agree. I'd probably switch Fab and Hendo around, though my main job for Hendo would be to stick to Pogba and upset his game, so really just position him wherever he can best achieve that.

With them missing their main pace out wide, I think taking Pogba out of the game would give us an excellent chance of controlling this one and getting something from it.
I'm not bothered too much about Pogba, I think he's extremely over-rated and I believe he will go missing as is his tendency in the big games. All of our midfielders are more effective and better players imo. I want to see Fabinho slightly higher up the pitch than Hendo. Hendo plays some lovely long balls from deep and offers our defence good protection and Fabinho's creative, chipped little passes into our attackers are a threat.

Feeling quietly confident about this game.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
"There is no doubt that he will be the manager next year." - Yes Please !

Meanwhile over on Red Cafe those deluded Manc fuckers now somehow see the likelihood of Lingard playing as reason to be confident of them winning.

Oh , and our midfield can't defend apparently ....... maybe they think Fabinho still plays for Monaco.

As I said , deluded fuckers.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Not bringing Shaqiri on vs. Bayern and not speaking about him at the moment - i think Klopp is planning to surprise ManU with starting him. He scored two goals against them.
That's just not happening.

We will probably see a midfield of Fabinho, Wijnaldum and the captain. I would think Keita will get onto the pitch before the little Albanian to.

LeoT

I had a dream that 10 mins into the match Mane went 1 on 1 with De Gae in the box, side stepped him then DeGae grabbed his foot before he could strike the ball, this was rewarded with a penalty and a red card because it was a deliberate foul that prevented a goal scoring opportunity.
Their other keeper came on and collided with the post whilst diving to save the penalty (which Salah scored), then was taken off with a neck/shoulder injury.
I lost count with the score line, I think we were winning by about 8 or 9 nil by the time I woke up. (Ashley Young is a useless keeper)

Back to reality, I expect a tough match, but (unusually for me) I do think we'll win this one.
I would play a physically combative mid-field, no creativity, just quick thinking ball players.
Our attack is ample creative enough to make and score a couple of goals, and our defense tend not to concede.

Trent - Matip - VvD - Robertson
Hendo - Fabinho - Milner
Salah - Firmino - Mane​

It will end ManU 0:2 Liverpool (goals for Milner & Smalling OG).

Foldy

We have to come out guns blazing and show our intent, get them on the backfoot and intimdate the shit out of them. If they control play they'll just slow the game down, looking for niggly fouls and they'll play for set pieces. So expect Utd players going down around and in the box like Fredrick Zoller has turned up with his rifle. Think this will be a messy tight game and yep I expect a refereeing clanger.

santana

what is man city weak point ?
it is the spaces !
suppose man city play 433 and you play 442 if you want to beat man city you play 334 so there is no space and you turned them to an ordinary players !
man utd is a heavy slow team so you use a faster midfield ( fabinho - gini - ketia ) and i'll pick milner instead of fabinho because he is faster but fabinho can cover trent better and send better long balls !
pick this midfield and you will smash the slow heavy man utd !

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
what is man city weak point ?
it is the spaces !
suppose man city play 433 and you play 442 if you want to beat man city you play 334 so there is no space and you turned them to an ordinary players !
man utd is a heavy slow team so you use a faster midfield ( fabinho - gini - ketia ) and i'll pick milner instead of fabinho because he is faster but fabinho can cover trent better and send better long balls !
pick this midfield and you will smash the slow heavy man utd !
I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm loving this guy.

Keep it up, @santana, you're doing the LORD's work.

maxpain17

This is that one fixture that I and most of us still look for when the fixtures list is announced at the beginning of the season.

For me, we need a big performance from our full backs in this game. Especially Trent, he does seem to get really nervy in big games and I remember how Rashford ran riot in our last fixture at old trafford.

As far as our midfield is concerned, I hope this time boss has learned from the man city defeat and don't go for the controlled option of Gini/Hendo/Millie. This midfield only works till u have a clean sheet, otherwise it really lacks guile and creativity to hurt the opposition.
For me...midfield will be Gini, Hendo and Fab. Get Keita on later to add that spark if we are chasing.

The front three have to really up their game and I really hope we switch Mane and Salah on the flanks and Bobby in the middle for these last 12-15 games. Play to your strengths and bring your 'A' game out. These games are decided by fine margins and those who bury their chances when they come by will decide the game.Hence, we need to be very clinical when the chances come by.

There's also the other issue which tends to happen alot. Whenever, you take our front 3 out of the game...we really don't have any outlet to hope for a goal. The only way we can do this better by making sure there are runners from midfield. Most importantly, boss needs to set the tone of bombing more bodies in the box. At times, we hardly see 1 or 2 red shirts in the box. Having more bodies in the box not only increases our chances in the game but also creates a havoc in the opponent's mind during defending.

Lastly, I just hope Boss believes and sets this team for a win. This game could really set the momentum for the rest of the season and can be a defining game in terms of carrying confidence in the final stretch of the seaaon. We need to be brave and have a go at it. No more running for controlling the game...one touch, pass n move with pace and don't let the opposition any chance to believe.

1dragon

TIA Regular
The form book goes out of the window for these sort of games. It boils down to which team wants the win more. Us or them? We have title aspirations, while Man Utd can only look to influence who gets the title come May. With this in mind, I think we should go for players with the mental fortitude to withstand the pressure. In addition, I think over-loading the left flank looks like a good strategy, given that Man Utd is likely to be weaker on that flank.

Alisson
TAA-Fabinho-VVD-Robertson
Henderson
Milner-Kieta
Salah-Firmino-Mane​

TAA at RB instead of Milner for me. Rashford is likely to start at LW to utilise his pace. Fabinho and VVD to give us a solid backline to fall back on. Kieta, Robertson and Mane to overload the left flank. Since Matic plays on the left for them, it will leave Dalot and Herrera exposed. No Lingard also means that they have one less player to defend.

Alright Now

@Alright Now Any chance of you traveling to England again for this game please? I still believe you made those Shaq deflections possible in the Anfield game. United were completely distracted by your bobby chants! :tongue:
I’m in if you all fund it, @Red_Jedi buys me Indian food, @Scott Jones keeps me safe, @indianscouser is not allowed to make subs, and @SBYM agrees not to sit next to me.

By the way, this may come as a surprise, but I can’t breathe and I’m nervous.

RedForever2014

The Fabinho dilemma is interesting, it says a lot about both him and Matip that Fab's the better centre half. Won't do Matip's confidence any good if he gets dropped for a midfielder.

Personally I see TAA as a risk at right back, but Milner could equally come unstuck against tricky wingers.

The midfield the other night didn't exactly set the world alight, but after City away I wouldn't be using Hendo, Gini and Milner together.

Definitely wouldn't be starting Shaqiri, doesn't have anything to offer over Keita.

I'd probably go with;
Alisson
TAA Fabinho VVD Robertson
……...Hendo
Gini...………..Keita
Salah..Bobby..Mane

Maybe use Matip, Milner and Shaqiri midweek.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
Their defence is wank,we'd have to put in a very poor performance to not score against them,keep tight in defence and we'll beat them comfortably,2-0 to us.
Under Moronio they would have been no match for us.
Now I‘m not so sure.
I hope you are right, but a draw doesn‘t seem impossible at the moment.

Alright Now

The Fabinho dilemma is interesting, it says a lot about both him and Matip that Fab's the better centre half. Won't do Matip's confidence any good if he gets dropped for a midfielder.

Personally I see TAA as a risk at right back, but Milner could equally come unstuck against tricky wingers.

The midfield the other night didn't exactly set the world alight, but after City away I wouldn't be using Hendo, Gini and Milner together.

Definitely wouldn't be starting Shaqiri, doesn't have anything to offer over Keita.

I'd probably go with;
Alisson
TAA Fabinho VVD Robertson
……...Hendo
Gini...………..Keita
Salah..Bobby..Mane

Maybe use Matip, Milner and Shaqiri midweek.
Didn’t Jurgen already say Fabi would be back in midfield? Plus, hopefully playing well against Bayern already did Matip’s confidence a world of good. Finally, I’m not sure what setting the world alight means, but I thought the midfield showed very well against Bayern.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Once upon a time, this game mattered. It mattered to us. Beating them was the only possible ammo we had against their fans who relentlessly reminded us of their success and their “perch”.

The thing is though that thanks to a succession of magically inept managers, they have sunk to levels that previously only existed in our most furtive dreams. They’ve had some moderate luck of late but that’s just the dead cat hitting a trampoline. Matters to them so much, so much more as this is their cup final wheras to us, it’s just a step to greatness. Go on Liverpool, to glory and fame :)

Sunday will be the day when we make good on our claim of the perch. 3 points, the top of the table, a manc club in crisis and we’re fundamentally back.

Not a salmon of doubt about it.

Last edited:

Obanite

Full time coo
Oddly enough, if Jose was still in charge I'd be me worried about this. I think United will be more open and chuck the ball about a bit. Space will open up for our front three. If they score early, it might be a tough afternoon... but I'm going for us 2-1. This is the sort of game we need to win if we expect to win the title. No ifs, no buts.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
We need to win this match, IMO. I'm not panicking about this season yet, but we haven't had a really compelling win since 2019 began.

United have turned it around since they hired Ole, but we clearly have the better team this season. It would be a huge confidence boost to batter them at Old Trafford. It would send a message to City, certainly.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
My squad selection:

-----------------Alisson-------------------

Trent -- Matip -- Virgil -- Robbo

------Fabinho------------Hendo-------

-------------------Keita---------------------

Salah---------Firmino----------Mane

I want to put Keita in attacking positions to help break down the United back line, with Hendo and Fabinho providing cover for our back line when the fullbacks fly up the wing to help to assist in the attack.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Their defense is so poor, but I'm unwilling to believe it'll all work out for us, a la March 2009.

We must ensure we don't concede, and even if we just get a draw we'll be set. In the meantime, let's remember Rafa's big day.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Hmmm clouded the force is for this one.....................

So no-one is making a point of how rusty we are then, how mid-season breaks maybe do exactly that, give you a rest but break momentum? Sometimes stopping to collect is the worst thing you can do. Whatever groove we were in from December has flattened, and we go into the cauldron, with the arch enemy, and I read Old Blended Malt is giving the team talk before this one. One team is clearly battle ready. Could do with some marching strength best grade British army amphetamine.

We could of course turn them over in rampant Klopp blitzkrieg style but, difficult to see the result is.