• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Manchester United v Liverpool - Sunday 16th March - 13.30 kick off

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool travel to Old Trafford next Sunday for a game against their bitter rivals in a match that has massive significance on the outcome of this season. Not since the 4-1 demolition of Fergies United in 2009 has this fixture had such an importance attached to it. Controversies aside. A win for Liverpool and a title challenge is well and truly on, doubters will begin to really believe its possible. A win for United and some much needed wind will blow the sails of David Moyes reign as United manager. His ship hasn't left the dock all season. That could all change with a win on Sunday.

Team news seems to be good for Liverpool with Lucas and Sahko returning to full fitness and taking part in a recent U21 match. They will more likely to options from the bench than starting 11. They will both be welcome defensive additions to the team and give Rodger's plenty of options ahead of Sunday. Jose Enrique is still the only one that has yet to return to fitness so its a clean bill of health for Liverpool which after an international gameweek is a blessing.

The big selection dilemma seems to be what six starts ahead of the back four- Gerrard starts, and so does SAS. The other three spots are between Allen, Henderson, Coutinho and Sterling.

I think if we can control the middle against a poor United midfield we can win this game. Joe Allen has impressed since returning and Raheem Sterling showed the importance of what an impact sub can bring to a game against Southampton so I'm predicting a similar line up v Saints. Possible Sterling in place of Coutinho but either way Allen, Gerrard and Henderson start the game IMO.

Mignolet, Flanagan, Sktrel, Agger, Johnson, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge.

4 - 4- 2 with Henderson right and Coutinho left. Watchful of United's traditional wingplay.

YNWA. Come on you redmen.

http://youtu.be/1Rfihh4xrjU

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
Oh, how the tables have turned...

Just like we had to play to cost them the title (not for us to win the title), now they are there just to inflict the necessary pain to prevent us from success.

We've won it 5 times. We've won it 5 times.

Will comment more when I can. In the meantime some of the newer, international fans might find this educational. Especially the parallel about the industrial revolution/shipping rivalry between the 2 cities, and how now it's mainly all about football....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4tS-6yAeeA

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Our most important game so far this season.

Winning this, and we take United out of the top 4 fight. Hammer their confidence against Olympiakos. Put pressure on both Asernal and Spur playing after us who either will trail us by 3 points or 9 points

Losing it... nah... we only have one option: win this!!

Red83

Under Rodgers we have been a very clean team, the only way utd can get anything from this game imo is to get into a slug fest, because we should out play these guys of the park, so i hope the boys keep composed and just treat it as a normal game.

Only just discovered this site, gotta say this is exactly what i have been looking for...bit of an internet noob

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
We need to win this and I'm sure we will.
That said, it wont be over till the final whistle, absolutely certain the Mancs are going to up for this if for no other reason than to make life difficult for us.

Don't expect BR to make many changes at all to the team that thrashed Soton.

TheSweetSilverSong

WellRedKev said:
Liverpool travel to Old Trafford next Sunday for a game against their bitter rivals in a match that has massive significance on the outcome of this season. Not since the 4-1 demolition of Fergies United in 2009 has this fixture had such an importance attached to it. Controversies aside. A win for Liverpool and a title challenge is well and truly on, doubters will begin to really believe its possible. A win for United and some much needed wind will blow the sails of David Moyes reign as United manager. His ship hasn't left the dock all season. That could all change with a win on Sunday.

Team news seems to be good for Liverpool with Lucas and Sahko returning to full fitness and taking part in a recent U21 match. They will more likely to options from the bench than starting 11. They will both be welcome defensive additions to the team and give Rodger's plenty of options ahead of Sunday. Jose Enrique is still the only one that has yet to return to fitness so its a clean bill of health for Liverpool which after an international gameweek is a blessing.

The big selection dilemma seems to be what six starts ahead of the back four- Gerrard starts, and so does SAS. The other three spots are between Allen, Henderson, Coutinho and Sterling.

I think if we can control the middle against a poor United midfield we can win this game. Joe Allen has impressed since returning and Raheem Sterling showed the importance of what an impact sub can bring to a game against Southampton so I'm predicting a similar line up v Saints. Possible Sterling in place of Coutinho but either way Allen, Gerrard and Henderson start the game IMO.

Mignolet, Flanagan, Sktrel, Agger, Johnson, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge.

4 - 4- 2 with Henderson right and Coutinho left. Watchful of United's traditional wingplay.

YNWA. Come on you redmen.

http://youtu.be/1Rfihh4xrjU
Great opening post WellRedKev, enjoyed reading it.

Also agree with your line-up and the idea of Sterling as an impact sub.

Regarding Utd's traditional wing play, I'd actually say I'm hoping for it at this point. It's what exposes their weaknesses at the point:

They have no delivery route through the middle, which makes their attack predictable. If we concentrate in nullifying their flanks, they are far less dangerous. If they go ahead and try to win this game in their traditional game, they'll have a huge midfield problem of uncovered space and with our 4 man midfield we should be controlling the game and become dangerous on the counter.
My fear is if Utd comes watchful of not conceding and play an attrition war, trying to get goals on the counter, which will see them cover their weaknesses and actually be dangerous.

One on one, we are much more threatening than Utd, and have the better team and better playing style. But Utd's approach to the game is what will make this game easier than it looks, or much harder than it looks. I hope they play their proper game, because in that case, unless we seriously underperform, we should win.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Picking Cissokho over Johnson is an easy one for me. United attack down the flanks and chuck cross after cross in, and Aly is the only player we have who bothers to cut them out. There is then a question of whether is Flangan or Johnson who takes the RB slot, but the Scouser has the shirt and has done nothing to give reason to take it from him.

Skrtel and Agger in the centre, mindful that it's a partnership that Rodgers obviously doesn't fancy. But this game, of such intensity and importance, might have come a bit too soon for Sakho.

As we've been going 433 (and I don't think we'll see the diamond here) Rodgers has to make a decision how to arrange Suarez and Sturridge, and it's a question of whether United's defence will succumb most to Sturridge's pace or Suarez's ingenuity. I don't think Moyes has any interest in playing a high line, or giving space to get around the back, so I would start Suarez in the middle - although it's a given that they will move around a bit.

The only question left is Coutinho v Sterling v Allen and it's anyone's guess. I'd favour Sterling with Allen in midfield, as I think a calm head in the middle of the park in a derby game is essential, and the three lads up front will drag them all over the place.

LFC7NH

Mascot88 said:
Pretty much agree with this lineup but wonder if Rodgers will start Lucas instead of Allen. He played the full 90 in the U21 match on Friday, I assume to gain match fitness. Also agree on Cissokho over Johnson. He'll be more than useful in blocking some of their 100+ crosses.

Any word on Sakho's fitness? He played 70 minutes with Lucas on Friday but came out with what looked like a cramp.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Mascot88 said:

Picking Cissokho over Johnson is an easy one for me. United attack down the flanks and chuck cross after cross in, and Aly is the only player we have who bothers to cut them out. There is then a question of whether is Flangan or Johnson who takes the RB slot, but the Scouser has the shirt and has done nothing to give reason to take it from him.

Skrtel and Agger in the centre, mindful that it's a partnership that Rodgers obviously doesn't fancy. But this game, of such intensity and importance, might have come a bit too soon for Sakho.

As we've been going 433 (and I don't think we'll see the diamond here) Rodgers has to make a decision how to arrange Suarez and Sturridge, and it's a question of whether United's defence will succumb most to Sturridge's pace or Suarez's ingenuity. I don't think Moyes has any interest in playing a high line, or giving space to get around the back, so I would start Suarez in the middle - although it's a given that they will move around a bit.

The only question left is Coutinho v Sterling v Allen and it's anyone's guess. I'd favour Sterling with Allen in midfield, as I think a calm head in the middle of the park in a derby game is essential, and the three lads up front will drag them all over the place.
I'm in agreement. We'll want to use the ball well and Allen gives us more composure on the ball. Coutinho tries things and that's good, but when he loses the ball that can put us on the back foot. We can risk that against smaller teams, but with Rooney, RVP, Mata and Januzaj to worry about, we'll want to keep possession well in the middle of the park.

Sterling at left wing should help keep Rafael on his toes. Also, if there's a player to lose his head and get sent off, it could be Rafael. All the more reason to put our fastest winger on him and annoy him a bit. His defensive game isn't his strong suit. Sturridge will also have Evra's ticket punched, so playing him on the right is excellent. He can beat him for pace out wide or cut in onto his stronger left foot and Evra's weaker side. Suarez down the middle will occupy two or three players, with Henderson and Allen to provide runs from deep.

kopite1982

United will probably go 4-4-2 with carrick & fellaini in the middle. Januzai/mata on the wings & the 2 upfront. I feel rodgers can go back to playing both sterling/coutinhio in this with gerrard/hendo occupying the middle. Can see goals yet again. Tough to call this one. Its probably there biggest game of the season yet. Saying that, its probay ours.

"Weeeeeeee are liverpool la la la la la"

lovepool

Evra and Rafael have been poor defensively this season and I would definitely start Sterling to use his pace to get in behind them. We are a far better side than Utd but it will still be tough to get a result there. A draw wouldn't be a bad result for us but obviously we will be going for the win.

This is the first United side in 20 years to have a lack of pace in the team. RVP Rooney Mata and Januzay are all good players but none of them have the pace to get behind our defence. Normally you would be worried about some like Giggs Kanchelskis or Ronaldo running beyond our defenders the current arrack Utd have all like the ball played into their feet. RVP is the obvious danger man so hopefully we can keep him quiet and his sulk continues.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Red83 said:
Under Rodgers we have been a very clean team, the only way utd can get anything from this game imo is to get into a slug fest, because we should out play these guys of the park, so i hope the boys keep composed and just treat it as a normal game.

Only just discovered this site, gotta say this is exactly what i have been looking for...bit of an internet noob
really fancy liverpool to win this . you have far better team then them at present. only luck and bad finishing on your part will stop you winning this game

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
We've gotten 3 points out of games this season when the oposition didn't have enough firepower to make us pay for some of our sloppy defensive play. Van Persie, Rooney and co. won't be so forgiving. Need to keep it tight at the back and we should be able to counter and put these guys away. Smalling, Jones, Evra, and the little Brazilian shit shouldn't be able to cope with our attack so it should be exciting if nothing else. I'll sign on for the 1-4 scoreline.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
The manure will have recovered a bit of confidence after this weekend's result, but they certainly won't be relishing a visit from one of the Premiership's form teams. Moyes has regularly got into difficulties against us over the years which also bodes well. Playing at old toilet they'll have to force the game which will play into our hands very well. The home fans will get on their backs if they sit deep and defend so they'll have to come at us, leaving themselves open to our devastating counter attacks.

I can't ever remember going into a manure game with as much confidence. A point would be honourable but the manager and players must know that they've every chance of getting all three. I expect us to win.

JamieTheRed

Watching a few of the youtube vids that have been posted gets me real excited for the weekend. Especially the first one, haven't heard that chant in a while!

I think if we attack and press with the same intensity from the kick off like we did at Spurs, and to others at home this season, we could quieten the crowd big time. If they were to go a goal down it would turn to nervous energy. With the way their season has gone I think they would be hoping not to be on the end of an embarrassing thrashing rather than thinking they can get back level.

As has been mentioned they lack pace these days and lack a real skillful pacey player who can get a crowd up and create an atmosphere. As long as we keep a decent shape it's all about concentration on marking when they try to throw a few crosses in. I really wouldn't expect intricate passing from them on the edge of the box with quick flicks and stuff to be successful.

I feel confident in this, a slump is a slump but there's a reason they're 6th (7th) and were 2nd. We're a better team.

0 - 2

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Mascot88 said:
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
I'm in agreement. We'll want to use the ball well and Allen gives us more composure on the ball. Coutinho tries things and that's good, but when he loses the ball that can put us on the back foot. We can risk that against smaller teams, but with Rooney, RVP, Mata and Januzaj to worry about, we'll want to keep possession well in the middle of the park.

Sterling at left wing should help keep Rafael on his toes. Also, if there's a player to lose his head and get sent off, it could be Rafael. All the more reason to put our fastest winger on him and annoy him a bit. His defensive game isn't his strong suit. Sturridge will also have Evra's ticket punched, so playing him on the right is excellent. He can beat him for pace out wide or cut in onto his stronger left foot and Evra's weaker side. Suarez down the middle will occupy two or three players, with Henderson and Allen to provide runs from deep.
The more I think about it, I've got to go and do a 180 on the bit above in bold. I'd start with Coutinho in for Allen exactly because he tries things and because UTD are somewhat fragile we ought to be going in there trying to do what we did to Arsenal. Hit them hard and early. Coutinho's creativity and pressing will be a key part of that in the early stages. If he and Henderson can harry Carrick and Fellaini into mistakes we can win the ball back early in their half or near the halfway line and look to punish them with Sturridge and Sterling's pace and Suarez's ingenuity.

Allen can come on at some point in the second half to help sure things up and keep possession and see out the game.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
The more I think about it, I've got to go and do a 180 on the bit above in bold. I'd start with Coutinho in for Allen exactly because he tries things and because UTD are somewhat fragile we ought to be going in there trying to do what we did to Arsenal. Hit them hard and early. Coutinho's creativity and pressing will be a key part of that in the early stages. If he and Henderson can harry Carrick and Fellaini into mistakes we can win the ball back early in their half or near the halfway line and look to punish them with Sturridge and Sterling's pace and Suarez's ingenuity.

Allen can come on at some point in the second half to help sure things up and keep possession and see out the game.
I have gone back and forth on this as well. I am not quite as confident as most seem to be, still a lot of talent and pride in that ManU team. It is not as if we crushed them at Anfield, and we already have one loss this season at OT.

We might actually be fortunate that they have a shot at Olympiakos midweek, because otherwise I think this game and the Manc derby would be about all they had left to play for this year. On the one hand, getting out in front early could push a potentially fragile team over the edge (the Coutinho option). On the other hand keeping it tight and holding them off for the first 20 minutes when they must certainly come out hard is classical away play, and would set up our counter better.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Has a draw written all over it. Sure the over the top reactions will be all over the post match thread.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
As others have stated, this is a massive game for us, and I also think we can't underestimate the opposition. Although United have been dire this season, when it comes to facing up against us form goes out the window. They have quality players like Rooney, Mata and RVP.

As others have stated, they are a team that attacks from the flanks. Thankfully they haven't got a big target man to worry us too much beyond Fellaini if he makes late runs in to the box (or up for corners/FK's).

I think this is a game for us to win in the middle of the park, so like many in here, I feel the inclusion of Allen will be important. He's not as dynamic as Coutinho, but he doesn't lose the ball as often.

If we control the middle of the field then we will be able to get our counters off nicely when United press forward. On form we should win this comfortably, but I suspect it will be a lot tighter.

I can't see us not scoring however with SASAS playing.

I'm in agreement with those suggesting Cissokho should start at LB, but as much as I love Flanno, I'd like to see Johnson at RB to see if he can get forward and link up with Sterling/Suarez.

I'd like to see the following starting XI - Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Cissokho, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge. The bench should be strong too with Lucas and Sakho hopefully being included alongside Flanno/Glen/Aly and Coutinho (if he doesn't start).

Will be an exciting Sunday afternoon and I for one can't wait. If we want to dream about the title we have to get three points at Old Toilet.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Arminius said:
I have gone back and forth on this as well. I am not quite as confident as most seem to be, still a lot of talent and pride in that ManU team. It is not as if we crushed them at Anfield, and we already have one loss this season at OT.

We might actually be fortunate that they have a shot at Olympiakos midweek, because otherwise I think this game and the Manc derby would be about all they had left to play for this year. On the one hand, getting out in front early could push a potentially fragile team over the edge (the Coutinho option). On the other hand keeping it tight and holding them off for the first 20 minutes when they must certainly come out hard is classical away play, and would set up our counter better.
I hear you, and that's the thinking that I'm torn on. BR gets paid to make these big decisions so hopefully whichever he chooses, the players are drilled well and execute well on the day. I can see the logic on both sides, so either way it will come down to execution on the day and then hindsight will kick-in.

It won't be an easy match so a lot will come down to who wants it more. I see a close encounter with the winner being the side that takes their chances better. Let's hope SASAS have a good day!

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
Does anybody know if there's truth to the story on RAWK that Howard Webb is to referee the match?

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312428.0
Official announcement should be made today, I'm pretty sure that thread/rumour is just a wind-up, since it was started last week. No easier way than to get us all flustered and bothered than the prospect of facing Webb at OT, he'd have far more impact on the match than any tactics or players from their side will have.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Bonnar-Of-The-Kop

Keeping It Simple
Tetteh_Dalglish said:

I understand where you are coming from but I'd start Allen. Don't get me wrong, I think Coutinho is class and what he did vs Everton/Arsenal was a joy to watch. However, these were home games and at Old Trafford we can't afford the lad to have another game like he did against Southampton. I don't know why, but away from home he seems to struggle to play his game and with United more than likely to try and disrupt us any way they can, Allen would probably be the better call.

Big Si

Flanno Skrtel Agger Johnson/Cissoko (can't decide)

Hendo Gerrard Allen

Strurridge Suarez Sterling

Hopefully, should be enough to take the points....

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We are clearly not a team that plays super well in recent weeks when we attempt to control the midfield. I say let then pin us back, have Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez ready to pounce on a counter. We did that against Wenger boys and it worked. We did that against the old Everton of Martinez and it worked. We should follow that trend and do the same against the New Everton of Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.