Manuel Akanji (CB) Basel

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I

On a side note, I do fear that such a transfer might suggest that Clyne's injury is a debilitating one, meaning that Gomez is penciled in to play as right back, but surely he'd buy a natural right back and move Gomez back to his natural role?...
I dont know how likely Gomez is to return to being a CB. Has Klopp said anything about that?

I think we have been linked with potential RB signings, but i dont know how genuine the link was and it is probably a position that may be kept as is if we are going to busy shopping as much as is now being rumoured for the new spine. We are already facing losing Coutinho and Emre, while Milner is likely to go in the summer and Hendo may be losing his race to stay fit long enough to fight for a regular start. Also, Klavan doesnt have long left on his contract does he? Add to this, Studge, Origi and Ings may be allowed/looking to leave and perhaps a new keeper also being lined up then keeping Gomez as an option for fullback if Clyne isnt back maybe necessary.

big noyd

highlights show a big strong kid with pirlo's first touch who is comfortable on the ball

would love to see it happen

Not sure I agree with this. If our first choice is going to be VvD and Matip with this kid as third choice then he'll play loads. Look how much Klavan plays now because of Matip and his injury issues. It's not like VvD will play every single game either. I don't know many better coaches on the planet to develop a young talent under. That's under the assumption that, due to him being young, he's being targeted as 3rd choice. That may be a mistake. Look what Klopp did with Subetic and Hummels at Dortmund. Both real young, promising but under the radar players Klopp saw matched what he needed in CBs and brought in as first choice. Although not guaranteed it's a possibility he might be planning the same here. Matip would then be a huge boon as an experienced, reliable 3rd choice to bring in if this kid needs to be taken out for a game here or there due to a patch or two of shakiness during his development. With Gomez or Klavan around as 4th option (depending on what happens with Clyne and the RB position) we could be extremely well set up in CB for years to come.
Exactly my point and It isn't arrogance - we are behind the top PL teams - and have been behind Spurs in transfer dealings for a feew years - with Klpoo we have elevated ourselves to the top 4/5 in real terms - World wide we are still behind Utd, City, Chelski and the top 2/3 in most of the top divisions - We need to be active and improve the squad - we also need UCL football to satisfy the players/fans/management and owners

The reality is we are close to being on the map again and have to capitalize

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Yup, officially confirmed by Blick, a Swiss media which is reliable enough to be believed. According to them, he goes to Dortmund for € 21,5 millions. A big, big move for the lad, hopefully he'll do as well there as he did at Basel.

As for this thread, it's now officially closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.