• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Marko Grujić (CM) to Hertha Berlin, Borussia M., Eintracht Frankfurt...

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Hertha are keen to re-sign the Serbian international, with reports in Germany suggesting they would look to strike another loan deal, this time with an obligation to buy next summer. Liverpool, though, are aware of interest from elsewhere and would be unlikely to sanction such a move.

Two more Bundesliga clubs, Eintracht Frankfurt and Borussia Moenchengladbach, are keen on Grujic. Both, along with Werder Bremen, tried to sign him on loan last summer, while Champions League quarter-finalists Atalanta are another to have made enquiries.

Crystal Palace, too, are understood to have made contact with Grujic’s agent, while Aston Villa have discussed the possibility of a deal – though the Midlands club are more likely to go after Philip Billing, the Bournemouth midfielder, as they look to beef up Dean Smith’s squad.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
If Hertha really do want him back, it would be the perfect scenario for him. I watched all but 2 Hertha matches last season and I can tell you it looked like he played his best football under Bruno. Granted it was a smaller sample size than the two previous managers, but he had more freedom. Under Klinsmann and Dardai he was a little more typecast and fixed at the base of the midfield. Bruno's tactics allow Marko to get forward and roam a bit, akin to how we use Fab. I can also say, Marko's teammates loved him.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I kind of hoped that Liverpool would be able to get 25-30 million pounds for each of Grujić, Wilson and Shaqiri this summer but I guess that 20 million pounds would still be great (minus 20% that Crvena Zvezda are entitled to in Grujić's case). That said, club have basically already covered his transfer fee due to various loan fees, so it would be a successful transfer in financial sense. This is what Chelsea do all the time, I guess, but I never felt that any of Liverpool kids have been treated badly in terms of their development.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
And what a wonderful servant to Liverpool football club that would make him. Unlike some others, eh? Amirite? :p
If that's a sneaky pop at my stance on Wijnaldum what i said regarding him was: "and will deny us either a top class player on the pitch or a significant sum of money coming in."

Grujic going doesn't deny us a top class player on the pitch so let's hope it gets us a significant sum of money coming in.

iftikhar

Why are German clubs such paupers??? £20 million is peanuts these days.

I really, really, want Grujic and Wilson to be sold. They don't have any future with us and they deserve some clarity over their future.

rab

About time the guy got to know where he stands. Be good for his career and about time we moved on. Not sure we'll get the £20m we're hoping for, certainly not up front anyway. Although Hertha were after Weston McKenzie for a not dissimilar fee so who knows.

Better he goes now. Wouldn't want him leaving on a free and having people chase him out the door for seeing out his contract would we.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Disappointed that he looks like he's not going to make it at the club. Had high hopes for him, but clearly not good enough if we're considering him being sold.

A buy back/sell on clause would be good.

iftikhar

Because they dont have the money from tv deals that English clubs do.
I know very few clubs (not more than a dozen) outside England have significant spending power. But like I said, it's freaking £20 million.

jim bouki

Even the rumoured £13m Hertha were reportedly quoted seems a decent deal. £8m profit for a player who's played only a couple pre season friendlies for the club in 4 years is good business.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Even the rumoured £13m Hertha were reportedly quoted seems a decent deal. £8m profit for a player who's played only a couple pre season friendlies for the club in 4 years is good business.
And if you include the loan arrangement fees.
I cant really comment as Iv not followed his career. Seems a talented player but at present not considered good enough by the management. Either way we cant lose, we sell or loan him Or the management consider him an important part of or future...

iftikhar

Yeah £13 millions is good deal in the present context, maybe couple more millions in add-ons.

brush85

He looks tidy every time I see him but just not impactful enough, maybe, for us. He will obviously have a good 8-10 more years playing in a good league though.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If opening offers are coming in at £13m with plenty of clubs interested then I'm confident Edwards will get around £20m although some may be in clauses.

iftikhar

Maybe BMG can afford few more millions due to their CL booty, but I feel £13 millions is just about the amount the clubs interested in Grujic can afford.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
£13m is nothing tbh. If I’m not mistaken Cardiff wanted to buy him for at least £23m after they loaned him.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Hertha are also being backed by a millionaire who wants to turn them into a 'big city club' (his words).
That’s true, Lars Windhorst wants to snap his fingers (read: throw ridiculous sums of money around) and make Hertha "relevant" but there will be some restraint this summer. He let Klinsmann burn through close to €80M in this most recent January transfer window (a record amount for January) on ok-to-questionable signings. One of the players signed was Lucas Tousart, who was then loaned back to OL until the end of the season. He just joined the club and plays in the same position as Marko. The midfield numbers might not be in Grujic favor for a return. The club have several midfielders currently.

As a side note, Klinsmann had the balls to tell the world he "wasn't backed properly" when he quit via Facebook Live instead of telling Preetz and Windhorst first.

StevenAlonso

I rate this guy and could very well turn I to a very good player. His is passing is neat, has a wide range of passing and is a good header of the ball. Can score goals as well. Would definitely give him a chance before loaning or selling him especially when Ox is injured and we have let Lallana leave.

brush85

I rate this guy and could very well turn I to a very good player. His is passing is neat, has a wide range of passing and is a good header of the ball. Can score goals as well. Would definitely give him a chance before loaning or selling him especially when Ox is injured and we have let Lallana leave.
If you have Fab-JH-Naby-Gini-Milner-Curtis and maybe maybe, Thiago. Where is grujic getting those minutes, even if you leave Ox out?

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I'd be all for keeping him this season. This season because of the Covid pandemic is going to be shorter and have more matches played. We don't know how good he'll be under Jurgen because Klopp didn't coach him.

I like what i see of the player and at this point of time, It's better for him to play regular football(League Cup/Fa Cup/the odd substitute in PL) for us. If anything, That might ensure a better resale price coming into the next season.

Reactions: J_M