• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Match Topic: Sunderland (a) 15.09.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Tricky place to go at this moment, we can usually struggle in fixtures like this just days after the international break, especially when we need to see how much can Gerrard and Suarez give to us today. Sunderland have had 2 tests where they faced teams who like having possession so they'll know how to set up today and will look to improve on that trying to get their first win.

Just hope Brendan gets it in picking the right team and that we don't give the ball away as we did against Arsenal. Johnson's a doubt which again proves his issues to play 3 times a week, Kelly out, so there could be a possible start for Flanagan? Hope Glen can make it and we field our best back line. Shelvey or Henderson could get a start ahead of Sahin I feel and Sterling should keep his place.

As for Sunderland, looks like Adam Johnson's a doubt. But really their team only has 1-2 doubts, they'll probably have Craig Gardner at right back again and either Rose/Colback at left back. If Johnson doesn't play then it will probably be Rose with Colback moving back into midfield and Larsson moving back to the right wing. Gardner's an interesting one, remember him playing against us for Villa under O'Neill at the opener of the 07/08 season (Gerrard free kick to win it in the last minute and Torres' PL debut). He actually played well that day although we didn't have much to offer offensively down that side with Arbeloa at left back and Riise as winger. But if I remember well Craig wasn't such a big fan of O'Neill and it will be interesting to see how he does now.

As I said, hopefully we can be technically better in the last third than we were against Arsenal, if Suarez is having his day he can cause real problems to their slow 2 CB's in O'Shea and Cuellar, especially with them lacking understanding and experience in playing together with the full backs.

Think there won't be much goals in this one and that the first goal could be very important. Head says we'll either draw or lose, but it will depend on our key players being in mood physically up to the level enough if we can snatch it.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
I think this could be another tough match for us.Sunderland under o neil are a decent side and have strengthened in the summer whereas we now have a weaker squad,although our first 11 is a good team in my opinion.Hoping for a good performance but with only 1 draw so far the result,and goals,is all important.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I think this could be another tough match for us.Sunderland under o neil are a decent side and have strengthened in the summer whereas we now have a weaker squad,although our first 11 is a good team in my opinion.Hoping for a good performance but with only 1 draw so far the result,and goals,is all important.
Yeah I agree completely. I think we direly need three points, but I guess a point is the very minimum. Don't forget we've got the Mancs next week and it's very possible we could go 5 games into the season with 1-2 points. When the fixture list came out originally I was much more excited than I am now.

But I digest. This is a tough place to go, especially lacking a cutting edge up top. Let's just hope Suarez has his shooting boots.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
For the love of Christ play Borini central with Suarez one either of the flanks

yiannos33

Believe
We need to start strong and not waste our chances if we want 3 points.
Good to see the forum up again,keep up the hard work.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
SAFC 1st team vs #LFC Mignolet, Rose, O'Shea, Cuellar, Gardner, McClean, Colback, Cattermole, Larsson, Sessegnon, Fletcher

Subs: Campbell, Kilgallon, Ji, Meyler, Bramble, Westwood, Saha.

Bench: Jones, Enrique, Sahin, Assaidi, Henderson, Downing, Carragher.

So no Suso in the end. Oh well.

kwala

TIA Regular
None to confident about this game as I just can't see where our goals are going to come from.

We desperatley need to get a win though. Hopefully all the Hillsborogh revelations will put an extra 10% in the players .

Anthony

I don't think we are weaker, but I do think we are failing up front and that will continue until we buy a true goal scorer or until Suarez figures out where the goal is. As great as Suarez is he isn't getting us goals. Sunderland have a very well rounded squad and are managed very well. Tough game, but I think (always) we'll bring home 3 points

redalways

TIA Regular
Why Carragher on the bench again? Am I the only one who doesn't understand that move? I would very much rather we put Suso or Coates on that bench...

Artrain

Interesting no Enrique in the starting eleven. Is there a problem with him?

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
The Blessed Brendan is about to take us on the greatest winning run in the history of LFC. So great,TIA fainted at the thought and swooned out for over a week. 3-2 to The Blessed Brendan's Red Battlers.

kone

TIA Squad Member
The Blessed Brendan is about to take us on the greatest winning run in the history of LFC. So great,TIA fainted at the thought and swooned out for over a week. 3-2 to The Blessed Brendan's Red Battlers.
Amen ;-)

Bruce

TIA New Signing
Even with our very poor run in the competition this year and last year I'm really looking forward to this. The love for Liverpool is something that'll always be there I guess. Come on Reds, happy to see that Sterling is still in the team, nice Brendan.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Why Carragher on the bench again? Am I the only one who doesn't understand that move? I would very much rather we put Suso or Coates on that bench...
Coates will most probably start on Thursday.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I must admit I am never quite comfortable with Glen at left back. Enrique is obviously fit so I assume BR just does not really rate him.Would have been nice to see Suso on the bench but I am sure he will get his chance soon.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I'm trying to be confident but its going to take a win and a goal from open play before I get ahead of myself.

sanjay_sai_rpt

Klopp the shit outta every team!
Aaaaaaahhhhhh! At last the forum is back alive! 30 mins to kickoff now... We are 19th in the table as of now after QPR's draw... desperately need a win..

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I think that Enrique still has issues with his knee. At least that's what i read a few days ago.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Aaaaaaahhhhhh! At last the forum is back alive! 30 mins to kickoff now... We are 19th in the table as of now after QPR's draw... desperately need a win..
I didn't dare look at the table, I really hope it makes slightly more comfortable viewing in a few hours!

NZred

The Red From NZ
Omigod. I feel like I've won the lottery the forum is back!

So who is losing their job of that debacle?

zooz

TIA Youth Team
Tottaly agree. Pretty pointless. Also if we're crying for goals why aren't having Pacheco on the bench instead of Henderson?!

1dragon

TIA Regular
Pleased that Assaidi is on the bench, at least we have an option to fall back on this time.

Enrique has probably just recovered from an injury, hence he is on the bench. Other than that, hope the players put in 100% and that we can record an overdue win.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
We drew with the champions at Anfield playing very well. We lost to Arsenal at anfield playing relatively ok. We lost to West Brom totally in shambles. Should we panic, we should not. Afterall, our starting fixtures are really tough ones. But there will be no excuses for every match. Tonight if we lose again, though its only 4 matches in, there needs to be some honesty out there about why. I am fully behind Rodgers because I am for giving people chances and I think one season is what he needs to at least prove himeslf but, questions need to be addressed. He has been very good talking but now lets see that translate to the playing. Cmon you REDS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.