• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Melbourne Victory vs Liverpool FC (Wednesday: 24th July)

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
therealkeano1 said:
Today showed that we missed coutinho and if we can keep saurez we will be challenging as the two of them will open up any team. I will say that Luis Alberto will have to pick up his performances as to me Suso looks like a better player. Aspas could be the find of the year. I really want the season to start.
It's early pre season days but thinking ahead to when the serious football starts, we shouldn't have to rely on just one player for attacking ideas and creativity.

Enter Eriksen perhaps?

LiVeRp0oL89

EdWood said:
It's early pre season days but thinking ahead to when the serious football starts, we shouldn't have to rely on just one player for attacking ideas and creativity.

Enter Eriksen perhaps?
Eriksen should of been signed weeks ago.. I really don't get what we're doing there. Your right in saying we shouldn't have just one 'star' player so to speak. Yet that's how we've operated for years. One in, one out.. depressing really. The club won't get anywhere until it starts fielding three or four star players.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
EdWood said:

Enter Eriksen perhaps?
I know its pre season but today when we were attacking we didn't look like breaking them apart until saurez came on. Every team needs that x factor and we have two players that can see a pass or do something special. Not many teams have it. If we got a third it be amazing

lovepool

lfc.eddie said:
I wish you'd read the other post I quoted before jumping in like a hero. If you are looking for "likes", like some, just let me know, I'd be happy to click your post.
No need for the sarcasm its just you seem very negative towards fellow supporters

Melbourne was buzzing all day with Reds supporters and it was a pleasure to be a part of it

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
lol just watched the melbourne rendition of YNWA , quite a lot of people not knowing the words which was amusing...They picked it up for the chorus though - well done, spine tingling it was :)

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I missed the match but I hear that there is some worry about his lack of celebration from the goal he helped create.

From what I've noticed (and I mentioned it last season) there is only one scenario where Suarez is truly happy: When the team wins and he scores. When the team loses or when the team wins without him scoring he usually doesn't look happy.

Now if he scores to put us ahead and doesn't smile that big goofy grin and do his celebration, then I'll be very worried.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
To be fair to Suarez (or myopically biased toward him), he did fly from Uraguay to Australia a couple days ago and according to BR participated in a double practice. Having done the trip from USA to China a couple times, I know I basically fell asleep in the middle of the afternoon every day for about two weeks no matter what I was doing because the time zones were completely reversed. He was playing this game at what would have still felt like the 4:00AM side of an all-niter.

Him struggling to adapt to that could just as easily explain his looking completely disinterested as sulking or actually being disinterested.

Kinzer

I'll repost what I posted in his 'transfer' thread, if you can call it that, since it's germane to the current discussion, and then share some general thoughts on the match:

Have to say, after reading the reaction about Suarez's shameful behavior on the pitch before I watched a replay of the match, I was expecting an absolutely disinterested, listless and nonchalant performance from him. What I saw was a player who pressed when the ball was in his zone, repeatedly called for the ball and tried to play in his teammates, and then at the death set up a goal. Not bad for 20 minutes of play. Sure, he wasn't as energetic or as cheerful as usual, but then, it was the dead end of a nothing friendly that was already over, and the man had just changed his sleep schedule by about 20 hours in 3 days, which wouldn't do me any favors either. He didn't look any less hungry than players looking to prove themselves like Aspas, or a player reportedly desperate to maintain a place at the club in Downing.

Much ado about nothing, from what I saw. I'll admit that the TV isn't the best way to judge and those in person may have seen things that I couldn't. It wasn't vintage Suarez, but he nutmegged, backheeled and twisted around players and got an assist. It may have been 75% Suarez, but it was still good and I'm not convinced from what I saw that his display had anything to do with the transfer situation. I know a lot were burnt by Torres, but maybe give the lad more than 20 minutes of the end of a friendly to demonstrate how committed he can remain to playing at Liverpool, whether or not he absolutely wants to be here.

As for the match, I thought we played some decent stuff at times although like in Indonesia, we weren't playing at full intensity. However, Gerrard, Allen, Sterling and Ibe all looked good at times in the first half, with Allen in particular impressing me with his versatility all over the pitch and his ability to break up play. Gerrard was also clearly enjoying the adulation (and maybe recognizing he only had a few more of these tours left) and really put in an impressive, creative and energetic shift, capped by a goal that was a joy to watch for the 45 seconds during which it was being built up. Borini impressed a bit more in the second half and showed some invention and some intent. I think he failed in the first half to get himself involved as much as he should have, but he had some nice chances in the second, although I still don't think he has much confidence in terms of his status in the squad right now.

Jones isn't the best keeper in the sense that he's a "gathered it at the second attempt" type more often than not, but he didn't have much to do anyway. Thought Johnson was generally poor even though he put in a lot of work. Same for Enrique, as he and Sterling never seemed to get on the same page, and Raheem's play was much better than Jose's. Hendo deserves mention for seeming to grow within the squad to the point where he is starting to take on a box-to-box role and be aggressive. I can't remember too many situations where I thought he made the wrong choice, although he had opportunities to slip players in, in that role it's usually considered acceptable to take a shot if it opens up and he had some decent efforts on target that were to my mind justified.

The second raft of players didn't stand out much for me, although it's still a joy to watch Alberto carrying the ball and looking for a pass. It was a bit staid in the last 25 minutes, so a lot of what they did didn't come off and so we had chances to put things together but didn't look to always be on the same page or completely focused, which I don't necessarily see as a problem at this point.

Interesting to see that when Agger came on, Lucas gave the captain's armband to him after receiving it 10 minutes prior from Gerrard. I guess we know who the VC is. I would have been happy with either choice - they both deserve it. Enjoyable if somewhat pedestrian match at times. Still think the team is a bit sapped from travel and training, but I'm enjoying for the first preseason in a long time that in spite of all of that, we're still winning our games, which we've often failed to do against similar opposition in years past. One more out in Thailand and then we get back to European competition and we can start to see really where the squad is at and how the first XI is taking shape.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I couldn't watch this game due to a jobcentre appt (how dare they expect me to look for a job when Liverpool are playing!! WTF!) but the pictures of the fans in the stadium are amazing, can't believe the amount of fans there, its mind blowing!

nowthen

TIA Youth Team
most impressive thing about the game was the 3 youngest players on the pitch. Ibe, wisodm and sterling. All three were really good. Are any of them over 20?

Kinzer

nowthen said:
most impressive thing about the game was the 3 youngest players on the pitch. Ibe, wisodm and sterling. All three were really good. Are any of them over 20?
17, 19, and 18, respectively. Reason enough to be extremely happy with what our academy has done recently, ignoring Kelly altogether, who is a great young player in his own right.

nowthen

TIA Youth Team
You are right Kinzer, its great to see players break through from the academy. We have 3 excellent prospects there. Its good for the rest of the academy as well to see 3 players like this given the opportunity. Lets them all see that it is possible to make that break into the first team set up. Think thats important.
Was really impressed with wisdom today. hes a unit. Good pace too.
And hopfeully Kelly will get an injury free run now. Was impressive last year when he managed to stay away from injuries.

ras

I wouldn't read too much into Suarez not celebrating as enthusiastically as some posters here would like. He didn't score the goal himself, and he did hug Aspas after the tap-in.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Well I have a mean hangover but wow was it worth.

When all 95k people sang the song I had tears running down my face, truly one of the great moments in my life and to see Stevie score was just the icing on the cake.

Hard to put into words how much it meant for all of us, massive thanks to the club and hope to see you again one day.

OhYaBeauty

Hope in your heart said:
Great post OYB.
mattyhurst said:
Cheers for the review Oh Ya Beauty.

Yeah I thought it was more of the Allen I remember at Swansea, really hope the lad can push on as I know he is good enough.
TheSweetSilverSong said:
Respect for a great coverage of all friendlies so far, makes me look for it every time we play a game, one more reason to visit the site!
Quality judgement, without seeming to be biased or looking only for positives or negatives, a fair share of both.

I have watched the game, and when I was reading your report I thought most of the times it was describing what I was thinking during the game! Also had some great insight to several issues, and you are monitoring important factors and topics that matter before our season begins!

Keep up the great work and thanks for a great read!! :)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the recognition.

Amateur Hour said:
@OhYaBeauty

What did you think of Lucas's play? I know it was only a half hour but in my opinion he looked superb, never stopped running and seemed to be in the perfect position all night as usual. That being said he did run away gingerely after one of his tackles (I'm very paranoid given his injury history).

After he came on and before the rest of the subs it was obvious the team struggled to get forward, but he still bossed the midfield and Victory really never got any decent offense the rest of the game. I agree Wisdom MOM, but I thought he was the best of the subs.
I thought he played well without doing too much special. He wasn't challenged overmuch by the Victory; they had lots of energy and fighting spirit but weren't even close to his quality and it showed the way he broke up a few attacks. I've always held that his distribution is superb, and he often kick-starts attacks from the back with good forward passes that are not particularly flashy, but find creative players in forward positions. That's his game; he uses clever positioning to intercept balls rather than tackle and then gets the ball moving forward.

He did that in Melbourne and was relatively good at it. I'd like to add that I think he's gaining back some mobility that he had pre-injury and I think he'll still improve over the course of this season as he gets closer and closer to pre-injury level. He might never get all the way back, but I'm certain he'll become more mobile than he was last season when he returned from injury.

the kopite son

TIA Youth Team
SoueysTash said:
lol just watched the melbourne rendition of YNWA , quite a lot of people not knowing the words which was amusing...They picked it up for the chorus though - well done, spine tingling it was :)
Was sitting right next to the "Kop" area and I thought who the hell bought those tickets! Not everyone got involved in the singing and some of those that did didnt know some words, made me laugh.

I guess there was a fair few who dont support liverpool, I went with 9 others and only 3 of us are fans.

lovepool

nowthen said:
Wisdom has been excellent so far and unless we sign another CB then we should keep him in the squad. Hopefully he can become the athletic, Ledley KIng Sol Campbell type, CB that would be the ideal partner for Agger

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Yeah, Wisdom looked very good on the ball. Allen looked good, too. Thought Sterling was beaten early in the first half by the MV right back who impressed me more. Problem with these friendlies is some of the combinations don't really work. I liked Borini's movement to the spaces, but the delivery wasn't there from anyone. Henderson who I like, looked a little tentative to me. Seeing him up close makes me wonder. Kid just lacks assertiveness or something. Guess that's what pre-season is a try out.

lovepool

Henderson improved last season but he is still poor in possession and doesn't offer us much when in possession. He work hard and give energy to the side when played as part of a midfield three but I do not know why Rodgers plays him in the 10 role. He isn't creative and offers little goal threat.

Libero

Have to say it was a pretty remarkable night, and who knows when my city will every get to host my team ever again. YNWA was spine tingling, hearing a whole stadium sing the song, and for those who didn't know it the lyrics were up on the big screen lol

Federation square was packed with reds who marched to the ground from there, a sea of red swept through the city it was something that I'll remember for the rest of my life. It was also very fitting that Gerrard scored, every corner of the ground he got an amazing reception which was good to see.

As for the game itself it wasn't bad as far as pre-season games go, I was actually very surprised with Melbourne and how well they kept the ball in periods. Ibe impressed me the most as did probably Wisdom, he had a couple of dodgy touches but in general was fairly solid without really being tested though. Not sure where that leaves Kelly, as I wanted to see him play CB.

I don't have much hopes for Borini, he just seems like he doesn't fit for me, but then again he did not get much service either. Aspas on the other hand looked good, he is also very lightweight, probably more so than Borini but he seems like a clever footballer with some nice touches hear and there and was good to see him get another goal so early in his career.

All in all pretty chuffed with the last few days. Ill try and upload some photos when I have more time.

auzziez

Just saw on the off site the video of the fans signing the anthem before the game. Absolutely amazing. Probably the best ever pre-season environment i've seen yet. Thanks a million to all the Aussie lads!!!

auzziez

won it at-a-turk stadium said:
Amazing YNWA

Gets me thinking if only Anfield was much bigger
Spot on. Just imagine 20k more fans singing few years down the line. There are gonna one hell of European nights when we are back there.

Amazing night yesterday. Only ruined slightly by the fact that I had a very bad case of the flu and could barely concentrate or stand up in the last 20 mins. The atmosphere was better than I expected and a great rendition of YNWA by the crowd. Our seats were right next to where the players were as well which made it even better!

I thought Wisdom played really well and was my MOTM. Skrtel also looked pretty good and Gerrard with brilliant link up play and finish for his goal. Ibe was a constant threat but his decision making at times could be better (although that will come with experience).

Melbourne Victory played really well at times for an inexperienced side and created a few good chances. I thing that did frustrate me at times was the huge gap that would sometimes appear between our defence and attack with hardly anyone in the middle. I think that created less opportunities for us to pass the ball around and retain possession in key areas as opposed to passing the ball around at the back.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
liverpool_singh said:
Amazing night yesterday. Only ruined slightly by the fact that I had a very bad case of the flu and could barely concentrate or stand up in the last 20 mins.
Ha maybe Suarez had the same dose of flu as you..

Clive

I've been having trouble putting it all into words. Here goes.

Flew down Tuesday night and stayed with a mate. The number of reds in airports, taxis, cafes, trams and on the street was amazing. I had assumed there would be a core of fans at the game with a heap of others there just out to see a big premier league team. Man I was wrong...

The Hyatt hotel is right in the city, you can't miss it. Princess Mary of Denmark was staying there last time I was in Melbourne. There was at least a couple of hundred of reds outside the hotel all day. Waiting for players to come out for autographs and photos. I went past a couple of times and had a chat to a few fans. They had no idea what was going on, but were happy to sit around in the cold hoping for a glimpse of their reds.

The merchandise shop at Federation Square was choc a block all day, 10 deep just after it opened at 9 am. They must have made a killing! I came away with the ubiquitous tour scarf!

Had a great afternoon at the Imperial hotel, waiting for my mate to finish work. Lots of songs, watching old LFC videos of FA cups and European nights, having a yarn with fellow reds. Great fun.

The march from the city to the MCG really built up the atmosphere. Everyone in a good mood no dramas.

But it was YNWA that really hit home how many reds were in the stadium. The video speaks for itself. I tried to soak it all in, and completely forgot to take a video or photo. Lots of emotion, lots of tears from grown men!

The game itself was a bright affair, against a tidy young team. Hats off to Postegoglou for a good performance given they haven't played competively since March in the long A league off season.

The goals to Gerrard and Aspas crowned a solid performance by the reds. Allen was my MotM , but I liked Gerrard in the deeper roll (as described in OYB's review). The Suarez performance was odd but didn't worry most of the reds in the stadium.

I was really proud of the club and its supporters. it was an inspired move to bring the game to the MCG and im sure a commercial success. Gerrard was class after the game and also Rodgers comments:

Rodgers told reporters: "It'd be disrespectful to start with anything other than the crowd. It was a huge honour. I want to put on record a huge thank-you to the people of Melbourne and Australia.

"They can be very proud of what they put on here tonight. The 'You'll Never Walk Alone' at the beginning was a real tear-jerker.

"There are not many clubs who could do what we've done in the past week - 83,000 in Indonesia and a sell-out at the MCG. It was our first time here and I'm sure we'll be back again.

"The hotel has been mobbed every day since we've been here. And the sheer passion and intensity that the people have is amazing.

"Throughout today, I'd been getting messages from family members who are out here for the game, and they were saying that Melbourne has just been a sea of red all day.

"I knew it was going to be a special night, but it's not until you go out there and you really see how vocal the supporters were and the incredible 'You'll Never Walk Alone' [that you realise].

"It's a day that hopefully many of the supporters over here in Australia will never forget."

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Comments in the media seem to suggest the two clubs are trying to work out some kind of ongoing relationship where they would tour here every 4 or 5 years.

Foxsports.com.au has the story on its front page at the moment, seems the interest is very strong.

Amazing the reach the song has had here, every mainstream news channel was leading with the story today, even the Footy show, a devoted Aussie rules footy show known for some harsh opinions regarding real football where showing highlights and talking up the historic nature of the event.

When I checked the video on YouTube this morning there where 3000 views, it is now approaching 200000.

What a night, so proud of everyone who was there did the club and the game proud, this will be a real shot in the arm for the game here in Oz

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
EveryGameNoExcuses said:
Comments in the media seem to suggest the two clubs are trying to work out some kind of ongoing relationship where they would tour here every 4 or 5 years.

Foxsports.com.au has the story on its front page at the moment, seems the interest is very strong.

Amazing the reach the song has had here, every mainstream news channel was leading with the story today, even the Footy show, a devoted Aussie rules footy show known for some harsh opinions regarding real football where showing highlights and talking up the historic nature of the event.

When I checked the video on YouTube this morning there where 3000 views, it is now approaching 200000.

What a night, so proud of everyone who was there did the club and the game proud, this will be a real shot in the arm for the game here in Oz
an on-going link would be great, escpecially if it involves coaching courses for youth coaches in Aus, as that has been severely lacking for the last 10 or so years

TassieRed

TIA Regular
Just a couple of piccies from the game last night. I'm still buzzing.

Me and Mrs. TR soaking it up.

Mrs. TR getting into the swing of things.

Now that's a really RED red all rugged up from the cold!

A poor unsuspecting news reporter clearly out of his comfort zone.

A "river of red" marching towards the G

Overflowing into a sea of red inside the ground

Lap of honour by the boys.