Michael Edwards

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Deserves his own thread doesn't he? He's doing a stunning job isn't he? We were unsure at first but now we are seeing him doing the business in a professional, no-nonsense manner, really impressed with the job he's doing.

All our signings these days seem to be absolutely spot on. Virgil, Naby, Fabinho and now Fekir.

Awesome stuff, hats off to Michael Edwards and team.

auzziez

I don't believe in miracles. I rely on them
If he goes on at this rate (pulling off signings who then end to have a great time with us while all the dealings being financially beneficial to us on a longer term), wouldn't be surprised if he gets called Magic Edwards :-)

Strictly Armchair

He's doing a stunning job isn't he? We were unsure at first but now we are seeing him doing the business in a professional, no-nonsense manner, really impressed with the job he's doing.

All our signings these days seem to be absolutely spot on. Virgil, Naby, Fabinho and now Fekir.

The biggest compliment I can pay him, and this is in regards to the Fabinho signing, is that it had the hallmark of Peter Robinson's approach all over it. The SAS couldn't have done a number on someone any quieter than Edwards. If he is even half as good as Robinson was then we need not fret about any transfer biz during his time with the club.

Going off on a slight tangent, I'm wondering if we have found a new Geoff Twentyman in the scouting dept. too. It's all coming up roses now. Less is more seems to be the maxim now when looking at the number of players we're bringing in. None of the scattergun approach of the first half of the decade.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Deserves his own thread doesn't he? He's doing a stunning job isn't he? We were unsure at first but now we are seeing him doing the business in a professional, no-nonsense manner, really impressed with the job he's doing.

Can't not read those first two sentences in the style of Jimmy Hill.

Honestly don't understand why he wasn't given a chance to prove himself before being written off.

He's definitely hit a few home runs in the transfer market. Obviously we have to see how they Fab and Fek pan out on the pitch, but the off the pitch part has been exactly what some of has been wanting to see for years.

Limiescouse

Going off on a slight tangent, I'm wondering if we have found a new Geoff Twentyman in the scouting dept. too. It's all coming up roses now. Less is more seems to be the maxim now when looking at the number of players we're bringing in. None of the scattergun approach of the first half of the decade.
I think it was pretty clear Edwards and/or his team were identifying talent, even during the years in which the TC was getting slated. The difference between then and now is that we are more internally harmonious, with a manager acting symbiotically with Edwards rather than antagonistically, and a change in the perception of the club making us actually attractive enough to the players Edwards identifies.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Laptop mike strikes again.

He’s looking very very astute.

Certainly assisted by other circumstances at the club, but making the most of those circumstances is where we have failed previously.

Obviously any one of the three so far could fail, but they certainly seem picked from the top drawer at least.

I don’t watch nearly enough football nowadays, but going by reports, we also seem to have this hard edged winning mentality flooding back into the squad.

Me likely.

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
He’s not a ‘football man’ though.

He’s just a stats guy.

He’s a geek with a laptop.

Not good enough.

Said by those who don’t know anything about him
Your last sentence covers a large portion of football fans in general. Iv just posted in the owners thread, personally (apart from trophies) i couldnt be any happier with the club i love and its set up

King Kev

Edwards is doing a remarkable job. Working with Klopp and enjoying a good relationship with the manager certainly helps. If IIRC, Edwards was appointed on Klopp's recommendation, wasn't he?

I think our transfer strategy was one of the main problems under Rodgers. BR certainly seemed to prefer Premier League-based players. These were players he seemed to know more about. He also seemed to slightly prefer developing English talent. He was once saying that one of the main objectives of his career was to prove that English players were technically as good as anyone. So, for the TC buying players like Firmino was a priority while for Rodgers it wasn't.

It seemed they were at odds with each other. The TC were drawing a list of players for Rodgers to choose from. The latter felt he was being restricted in his choices. There was a mix of Rodger's own preferred choices along with TC's choice of players imposed on him. Rodgers often was clueless on what to do with the Committee's preferred players (Firmino, Balotelli etc..).

With Klopp, it seems there very much is a team work. It does also seem that with Klopp's pedigree, record in the transfer market and his ability to attract big players, he has more power to bring in players of his choice. If a player is one he has not scouted heavily, it is up to the committee to persuade him and he is open to that. But, at the end of the day, players are not being imposed on him, as was the case for Rodgers.

The current set-up is certainly working much better.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Edwards is doing a remarkable job. Working with Klopp and enjoying a good relationship with the manager certainly helps. If IIRC, Edwards was appointed on Klopp's recommendation, wasn't he?

I think our transfer strategy was one of the main problems under Rodgers. BR certainly seemed to prefer Premier League-based players. These were players he seemed to know more about. He also seemed to slightly prefer developing English talent. He was once saying that one of the main objectives of his career was to prove that English players were technically as good as anyone. So, for the TC buying players like Firmino was a priority while for Rodgers it wasn't.

It seemed they were at odds with each other. The TC were drawing a list of players for Rodgers to choose from. The latter felt he was being restricted in his choices. There was a mix of Rodger's own preferred choices along with TC's choice of players imposed on him. Rodgers often was clueless on what to do with the Committee's preferred players (Firmino, Balotelli etc..).

With Klopp, it seems there very much is a team work. It does also seem that with Klopp's pedigree, record in the transfer market and his ability to attract big players, he has more power to bring in players of his choice. If a player is one he has not scouted heavily, it is up to the committee to persuade him and he is open to that. But, at the end of the day, players are not being imposed on him, as was the case for Rodgers.

The current set-up is certainly working much better.
As far as I recall Klopp gave his blessing, but it had long been the plan to promote Edwards into that role (hence shadowing Ayre for 12-18 months)...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
It's the harmony at all levels which seems now to pay off (fingers crossed for Fekir, nothing done yet but it looks interesting so far). No internal dogfights, no egos clashing, no stupid leaks ruining our moves in the player market, no owners holding the club back through passivity/incompetence, or because of sheer greed. Everyone is pulling at the same string together, and that's the big difference. It's not about the individuals, but about the team (Klopp still the cornerstone of all this imo) and using everyone's expertise at it's best. And we've already seen that this mentality starts to gain traction on the pitch too.

I can't remember the last time I've seen such a display of unity within the club, coupled with genuine competence. Maybe in the eighties/early nineties, before Moores came in? That's really cool... fingers crossed that it can still gather momentum and last a long time from now on.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
As far as I recall Klopp gave his blessing, but it had long been the plan to promote Edwards into that role (hence shadowing Ayre for 12-18 months)...
Maybe the idea was we’ll have this lad shadow Ayre for 12 months, and if he is still competent at the end of that, we know we’ve got a real diamond.

Mascot88

Admin
Been part of the football industry since a teenager but not a football man... :eh?:
I think what’s meant is that he hasn’t left one in on their pacy lad early doors, got it in the the facking mixer for the big lad, or shown a bit of heart when he’s been under the cosh. Something like that. Also we don’t understand numbers and spreadsheets are for geeks.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
What can I say? Very impressive. (Visions of Commoli and the transfer committee fleet past) It wont always been this quick and easy, yet, when it works this well, you cant help but appreciate it.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
It's the harmony at all levels which seems now to pay off (fingers crossed for Fekir, nothing done yet but it looks interesting so far). No internal dogfights, no egos clashing, no stupid leaks ruining our moves in the player market, no owners holding the club back through passivity/incompetence, or because of sheer greed. Everyone is pulling at the same string together, and that's the big difference. It's not about the individuals, but about the team (Klopp still the cornerstone of all this imo) and using everyone's expertise at it's best. And we've already seen that this mentality starts to gain traction on the pitch too.

I can't remember the last time I've seen such a display of unity within the club, coupled with genuine competence. Maybe in the eighties/early nineties, before Moores came in? That's really cool... fingers crossed that it can still gather momentum and last a long time from now on.
Yes, I think this is possibly the reason, the trust between the manager, the owners and the committee really is helping us. Take Salah as a perfect example, Klopp trusted the committee who wanted him and it's reaped rewards.

Mascot88

Admin
Yes, I think this is possibly the reason, the trust between the manager, the owners and the committee really is helping us. Take Salah as a perfect example, Klopp trusted the committee who wanted him and it's reaped rewards.
To be fair, Rodgers was happy to take Salah back in Jan 2014. Might not have played him though :-)