• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Michael Edwards

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Why can't all this tricks and trades being done before Klopp? I wonder..... He isn't a football man, that much is true.

Manager (Klopp), players and fans. Holy Trinity.
I have never understood how the 'not a football' man trope got traction. He was a youth player at a high level all the way up to the age of 18, did a university degree, played non-league all along until he was almost 30, and almost immediately started working in football when he completed his degree. The only sense in which he is not a 'football man' is that he did not make it as a player into the professional ranks.

It is like saying the only 'horse men' are the jockeys.

Limiescouse

I have never understood how the 'not a football' man trope got traction. He was a youth player at a high level all the way up to the age of 18, did a university degree, played non-league all along until he was almost 30, and almost immediately started working in football when he completed his degree. The only sense in which he is not a 'football man' is that he did not make it as a player into the professional ranks.

Because he has a computer. And he wears glasses.

Sweeting

He has a degree and is not obese.

Noo Noo

Bizarre. I bet he watches a whole lot more football than these guys do as well.

Anyway, we still need Klopp to make these new players gel but jees things haven't been looking this positive in years

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
His job is a lot easier than it might be when he's working with a manager who knows how he wants to play and the type of players he wants to achieve that. Edwards was part of the Transfer Committee under BR and no one could really say that was a success. We ended up with a bizarre squad of players. Benteke/Firmino in the same window? Not sure how anyone thought they belonged in the same team. It just shows that it's the manager who ultimately makes or breaks a transfer strategy.

There's a logic behind everyone we buy now. Obviously Edwards has to get it over the line and he's done well in that respect. For me, it all links back to Klopp and having a manager with a clear vision who is also patient and prepared to wait to get the right player.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
This man is really one tough geek. Literally took the " no man is bigger than the club" to a next level by signing Fabinho from out of nowhere before Emre Can could get his way with a release clause.

Best part of it? Emre Can's contract ends at end of June 2018 but this man decided to part ways with Emre Can (with Klopp's blessings, of course) at the start of June, leaving Can and his agent no chance to make a U-turn at all.

Emre Can is now set for a club who has not made it past the quarter final of CL 17/18.

UpTheReds

Can't not read those first two sentences in the style of Jimmy Hill.

Honestly don't understand why he wasn't given a chance to prove himself before being written off.
I do. It's spelled 'C-o-m-o-l-l-i'.

After him, many were down on the idea of using data to inform transfer decisions.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I think it was pretty clear Edwards and/or his team were identifying talent, even during the years in which the TC was getting slated. The difference between then and now is that we are more internally harmonious, with a manager acting symbiotically with Edwards rather than antagonistically, and a change in the perception of the club making us actually attractive enough to the players Edwards identifies.
I think there is also a difference about the mold/attributes of the player which is sought from Edwards and co by the staff team - during BR era and now.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Not sure if this is a thread about self flagellation or a patting yourself on the back. Perhaps I am wrong but I can only remember Makati red being anti Edwards and he was not the sharpest tool.

A bit of perspective it is 8 years ago FSG bought the club, and our transfer strategy has been shit for much of that time. Edwards has been involved in transfers for much of that time.

Everyone part the transfer committee during Rodgers era will get flak. Everyone involved in the comolli transfers will get flak. No one comes out smelling like roses. Be it the managers, scouts, or negotiating team.

We have underperformed in transfers in every metric for years. We are now over performing. Edwards is part of that and rightly should be celebrated. However let’s not pretend people were daft for wanting David Dein or Txiki Begiristain after several years of failed transfers.

I was fairly non-fussed as I principally blamed Rodgers. Likewise the biggest improvement I put down to Klopp brining unity and direction ( think this is my first post on Edwards). Let’s not make this a thread about being right and knowing he would be successful :rolleyes: let’s make it about the performance of Edwards, and how we are better approaching transfers eg the quality of player, our negotiation approach, being prepared to walk away or wait.

Flobs

FADA
Not sure if this is a thread about self flagellation or a patting yourself on the back. Perhaps I am wrong but I can only remember Makati red being anti Edwards and he was not the sharpest tool.

A bit of perspective it is 8 years ago FSG bought the club, and our transfer strategy has been shit for much of that time. Edwards has been involved in transfers for much of that time.

Everyone part the transfer committee during Rodgers era will get flak. Everyone involved in the comolli transfers will get flak. No one comes out smelling like roses. Be it the managers, scouts, or negotiating team.

We have underperformed in transfers in every metric for years. We are now over performing. Edwards is part of that and rightly should be celebrated. However let’s not pretend people were daft for wanting David Dein or Txiki Begiristain after several years of failed transfers.

I was fairly non-fussed as I principally blamed Rodgers. Likewise the biggest improvement I put down to Klopp brining unity and direction (this think this is my first post on Edwards). Let’s not make this a thread about being right and knowing he would be successful :rolleyes: let’s make it about the performance of Edwards, and how we are better approaching transfers eg the quality of player, our negotiation approach, being prepared to walk away or wait.
I think that what happened before was due to dysfunction between various people at the club and that surely involved Edwards at some point as well.
With Klopp everything fell into place and our transfers are now functioning in a coherent manner.
it is clear that Klopp was/is the principal reason we have turned the corner however blaming just 1 person for what was going on before isn't coherent as before Klopp we had major changes in personnel that didn't change a thing.
Good post btw! :)

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Nah, pretty sure Eddie was all out for him being Satan’s evil step child..... which is fun to watch now...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Haha, isn't it typical that someone opens up such a thread, everyone gets romantic, and boom... an important deal falls through... lol

This thread gets closed. After all, we don't want to jinx other deals this summer, do we? ;-)

( and we don't want this thread to descend into an abusing contest either... )

Sweeting

I think what’s meant is that he hasn’t left one in on their pacy lad early doors, got it in the the facking mixer for the big lad, or shown a bit of heart when he’s been under the cosh. Something like that. Also we don’t understand numbers and spreadsheets are for geeks.
The fucking weirdo has never drank a pint of wine. I mean how the fuck can you trust a football club to a "man" like that?

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I write from an uneducated point of view in terms of how we and other clubs go about their transfer business. I obviously understand the general aspects but buying a football player is a lot more complex than popping down the local shop and handing over the listed price.
All i can say is in my opinion over the last few years we have become very shrewd in our business. Okay the VVD transfer was a bit embarrassing/messy but we got our man. This has much to do with Klopps approach as much as the negotiators. How many other managers would panic and sign someone just because. Klopp has shown he is happy to use what he has got until he gets what he wants and i admire that.
Additionally we have also managed to negotiate successful sales. Securing good prices where as in the past we got the short straw.

Again this is one of my alcohol influenced, posts where i go off on a tangent. However my point here is, Michael Edwards has so far done a good job, but to be able to do a good job you need the trust of your employers - FSG. Your hand is made so much stronger when they trust your decision. If you have to keep refering back to them for backing you appear weak a Pawn. So as much as Michael Edwards and his team need praise for the job they are doing, i think praise should also be given to FSG and Klopp because you all need to be on the same page.

Iv posted a link from the Echo regarding Edwards. Not sure if its been posted before but you have to admire/envy the guy!!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/michael-edwards-liverpool-fsg-klopp-12124673

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
From the Echo article linked above:

His relationship with Rodgers was known to be somewhat strained with the Ulsterman making his view on sporting and technical directors plain after he was appointed.

Rodgers said: “For me coming in, I was always going to work with a team of people, rather than a director of football. I always think the manager is the technical director. He is the man who oversees the football development of the club, and I believe you should take on that responsibility when you are manager.”

Edwards' relationship with Jurgen Klopp however is said to be “terrific” and his appointment to the new role is seen as an “obvious” one internally.

That's it, he seems to have a solid enough common sense. I'm sold on him. :)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
There is a bond of trust, the Salah deal for instance, it was more a recommendation from the committee/Edwards and Klopp trusted their data and information to bring him in and what a signing.

Rodgers thought he was billy big bollocks, you don't get that with Klopp, Klopp understands the idea of a team.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Depends who it was....The relationship between those on the committee and Rodgers was never workable. People say it's Klopp who is getting these signings and it's part right, but Klopp as manager is part of the attraction, what Klopp has done and especially last season is another factor.

I did feel when we showed we were back in the big time we might see some of these type of players arriving, and it's bore fruition.

C

Caradoc

I’m not remotely interested in what’s happened in the past when it comes to FSG, Edwards or Klopp. All I care about is what’s happening now and it seems to be working fine. The blame game is for when things are not working fine (if at all :think:).

auzziez

Depends who it was....The relationship between those on the committee and Rodgers was never workable. People say it's Klopp who is getting these signings and it's part right, but Klopp as manager is part of the attraction, what Klopp has done and especially last season is another factor.

I did feel when we showed we were back in the big time we might see some of these type of players arriving, and it's bore fruition.
With Keita and VvD we already know they knew what it would mean to them joining us. Fabinhos interview to Telegraph, posted on one of the threads, suggests he was made aware of our interest even before the last season was over. Specifically when he spoke about our playing style, transition from defence to attack etc.
It's like, unlike those directors who speak about their upcoming movie, Klopp just showed the boys a trailer and left it to them to decide what to do.
What we achieved last season was definitely a contributing factor, but the time we approached the new signings would have played a significant role in convincing them to join us.