Michael Edwards

Strictly Armchair

I don't know how much input Edwards had in the transfer business in the summer of '16 (he wasn't appointed to the role of Sporting Director until November of that year) but it's reasonable to assume it must have been substantial. For many years a number of us grumbled that we were being hosed when selling players as a number of the fees we brought in were frankly pisspoor.

From the summer of '16 onwards however a lot of the outgoing business has been very impressive. £15m for Ibe, £11m upfront for Joe Allen and practically getting our money back on Benteke can hardly be criticised. Likewise last summer the fees for Kevin Stewart (£5.5m upfront) and Sakho (£26m) are amounts which are not to be sniffed at. Let's not forget the £6m loan fee + wages which we squeezed out of Wolfsburg for Origi's loan too, along with wringing every last Euro out of the shits of Catalunya for the sale of Coutinho. The £12.5m just received for a player who has only made three appearances for us is bordering on a con trick. You have to wonder if Aulas at Lyon was shocked at what he was dealing with when we went in for Fekir. Maybe our lot suddenly made him feel very old. We now look like a hard nosed bunch of buggers in the transfer market. We haven't done biz this well since the days of Peter Robinson.

Just to prove that he isn't a certified miracle worker we have taken a hit on Balotelli while Markovic has been nothing other than a cash sucking limpet. You can't win 'em all though.

Edwards seems to put in a fair shift and I think I may have worked out how that is so. There are two of him. We have actually appointed the Proclaimers as our transfer gurus. Would you walk 500 miles to deal with this man?
https://d3j2s6hdd6a7rg.cloudfront.n.../0001/30/thumb_29616_default_news_size_5.jpeg

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Just to prove that he isn't a certified miracle worker
I don't want to use those other names as a stick to hit him with, however.... to prove that point...
Barcelona and Bayern Munich rivalled Liverpool for Keïta’s signature last summer but, even before witnessing the team’s exhilarating run to the Champions League final, he was convinced Anfield should be his next step.

“It’s true there were other teams involved like the ones you mention but a big part of my decision was the role of the coach,” he says. “We had good conversations. The words he spoke to me about this project really convinced me. I could see how the club was developing and I spoke at length with Sadio [Mané]. Sadio is like a brother to me. We had nine months together at Salzburg and built up a good rapport. We have been great friends since that time. He told me what a great club this was and how the team was progressing and had great potential.”
Coming from the horses mouth... Keita. Van Dijk said the same and I am mighty sure the others like Alisson and Fabinho would share the same feeling too.

Edwards worked very well with Klopp, and Klopp is more than willing to listen to his recruitment team, but you are absolutely right that he is no miracle worker. Which is why I give a lot more credit to Klopp's stature than this wand Edwards apparently been waving - according to some of the people who seemed to be hell bent on loving him.

If and when Klopp leaves us, with a couple of titles intact and we now have a manager with lesser reputation, and we still recruiting the way we do right now, I will have no problems at all singing all kinds of praises to our "Director of Football". I leave it at inverted comas because his job should also entails a lot of footballing operations, succession planning for coaches and managers should be one of the top job in his list. Playing style and blueprint is the other.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I don't know how much input Edwards had in the transfer business in the summer of '16 (he wasn't appointed to the role of Sporting Director until November of that year) but it's reasonable to assume it must have been substantial. For many years a number of us grumbled that we were being hosed when selling players as a number of the fees we brought in were frankly pisspoor.

From the summer of '16 onwards however a lot of the outgoing business has been very impressive. £15m for Ibe, £11m upfront for Joe Allen and practically getting our money back on Benteke can hardly be criticised. Likewise last summer the fees for Kevin Stewart (£5.5m upfront) and Sakho (£26m) are amounts which are not to be sniffed at. Let's not forget the £6m loan fee + wages which we squeezed out of Wolfsburg for Origi's loan too, along with wringing every last Euro out of the shits of Catalunya for the sale of Coutinho. The £12.5m just received for a player who has only made three appearances for us is bordering on a con trick. You have to wonder if Aulas at Lyon was shocked at what he was dealing with when we went in for Fekir. Maybe our lot suddenly made him feel very old. We now look like a hard nosed bunch of buggers in the transfer market. We haven't done biz this well since the days of Peter Robinson.

Just to prove that he isn't a certified miracle worker we have taken a hit on Balotelli while Markovic has been nothing other than a cash sucking limpet. You can't win 'em all though.

Edwards seems to put in a fair shift and I think I may have worked out how that is so. There are two of him. We have actually appointed the Proclaimers as our transfer gurus. Would you walk 500 miles to deal with this man?
https://d3j2s6hdd6a7rg.cloudfront.n.../0001/30/thumb_29616_default_news_size_5.jpeg
We are selling really well now. Something that's been overlooked a bit in the giddiness of some of the signings. I thought the fees for Ibe and Sakho were good but the one for Ward is outrageous. Not a lot of 'deadwood' knocking about either which is a consequence of having a clear vision of the sort of player we want.

It's obviously easier to secure your targets when you're allowed to pay over the odds (VVD, Alisson) but, yes, things have improved significantly over the last couple of years. Whether it would look quite so rosy if we had a different manager is debatable. We don't get VVD and Alisson without Klopp so it really doesn't matter how good Edwards is at his job if the players don't want to come here in the first place.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I couldnt careless about Edwards. He's just a suit . good if he can do his job but personally I only care about the football

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It's obviously easier to secure your targets when you're allowed to pay over the odds (VVD, Alisson) but, yes, things have improved significantly over the last couple of years. Whether it would look quite so rosy if we had a different manager is debatable. We don't get VVD and Alisson without Klopp so it really doesn't matter how good Edwards is at his job if the players don't want to come here in the first place.
Selling part, it's going through market rate I supposed. We are hitting at the higher end of transfer curve where everyone is expecting to pay higher than usual. He did sell nonetheless, so for that, I applaud him.

But Director of Football's job has more than just buying and selling players in his portfolio I am sure. And for the buying side, you are absolutely right about the manager's part. Nearly every player that marched into our club since 2016 has been saying the same thing - buying into the manager's enthusiasm and idea. Will Edwards be able to perform like this even if we are willing to pay over the odds for players if it was Rodgers in charge? I doubt it.

I don't mind giving praises and accolades to our people in the club, but over rating them made my appraisal cheap. :-)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Is he Director of Football though? I’m pretty sure that isn’t his job.

I don’t think that twitter thread is a million miles off, despite taking a much more cynical stance than I think is necessary.

Edward’s success was always going to be reliant on a manager who can clearly articulate a playing philosophy, and enable him to plan recruitment effectively. I feel that a lot of the problems a few years ago were with Rodgers not having a clue what he wanted. While I agree you can’t completely disassociate Edwards from the Benteke deal (for example), I think you have to give Edwards some slack when you consider the blueprint wasn’t the best, and Rodgers was largely managing week to week.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
If anyone is questioning Edwards' effectiveness as a part of this set-up... ask yourselves, if everything else was as it is now but you brought back Ayre or Parry in place of Edwards, do you think there's any way our transfer business would look as good as it is now? Not just in terms of who is being brought in, but how quickly and decisively we're moving and how painlessly on the whole things have happened for the last couple of years.

Parry would still be on the beach, for one.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
If anyone is questioning Edwards' effectiveness as a part of this set-up... ask yourselves, if everything else was as it is now but you brought back Ayre or Parry in place of Edwards, do you think there's any way our transfer business would look as good as it is now? Not just in terms of who is being brought in, but how quickly and decisively we're moving and how painlessly on the whole things have happened for the last couple of years.

Re parry, that was bizarre wasn’t it.

I swear I sometimes think I remember things wrong, but he did, didn’t he?, he took leave at the busiest time of the year for his role.

It was surreal.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Re parry, that was bizarre wasn’t it.

I swear I sometimes think I remember things wrong, but he did, didn’t he?, he took leave at the busiest time of the year for his role.

It was surreal.
He really did. And that's when we weren't missing out on signing the like of Ronaldo, Simao, Dani Alves etc because he was haggling over the last £500k. On the old forum me and Limie used to post on we called him Clown Shoes Parry.

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Parry and Ayre plays very different role to Edwards. They both have minimum involvement in scouting for players as they are both CEO and Managing Director (Parry). It is like comparing an attacking midfielder to a out and out striker. Attacking midfielder needs to provide assists, score goals and at the same time defend, while out and out striker just make sure the ball goes behind the net (classic case, don't go using Firmino the unorthodox striker as an example).

The CEO's job will have to come up with a budget from the P&L that we could spend, and making sure the revenue stays afloat while cost not escalate. He or she are in charge of managing the overall company's bill of health, while DoF only the footballing operation side. Can't compare. Even though I don't have high regards for both Parry and Ayre.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Parry and Ayre plays very different role to Edwards. They both have minimum involvement in scouting for players as they are both CEO and Managing Director (Parry). It is like comparing an attacking midfielder to a out and out striker. Attacking midfielder needs to provide assists, score goals and at the same time defend, while out and out striker just make sure the ball goes behind the net (classic case, don't go using Firmino the unorthodox striker as an example).

The CEO's job will have to come up with a budget from the P&L that we could spend, and making sure the revenue stays afloat while cost not escalate. He or she are in charge of managing the overall company's bill of health, while DoF only the footballing operation side. Can't compare. Even though I don't have high regards for both Parry and Ayre.
At the end of the day all three are there to sign the players the manager wants, and two of them did a piss-poor job of it and it wasn't simply budgetary. If Edwards is combining that role with playing an active role in the scouting or at least the analysis of targets then he's doing even better. And he's not a DoF, his title is sporting director.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Right, a bit of a run-down from me but first a caveat; I've met Edwards a few times although we've been at the same events more often than I've had the opportunity to speak to him.

The mistake the twitter thread makes is by suggesting he has had the same influence over identifying targets and transfers during the whole time he's been here. He hasn't, his influence has grown. However, he's never been in a position where he alone could 'allow or disallow' players on a particular list. The suggestion, therefore, that Benteke or Lallana had to be "allowed into the list" by Edwards is bollocks. All members (not Ayre) were able to suggest names from where a list would be formed through discussion by all those on the committee.

Anyway, as a summary:

He joined Liverpool as Head of Performance and Analysis in November 2011, brought over by Comolli from Tottenham. He has always been rated by those who he has worked for and has progressed solidly up the ranks.

He was in that role when Dalglish was sacked and Rodgers came over. It's well-known that FSG wanted to implement a Director of Football structure that Rodgers resisted and instead FSG went on to create the now infamous committee. However, the committee needed to be recruited and FSG relied heavily on Edwards to help identify who in the industry was highly thought of. Fallows and Hunter were quickly recruited from City and they, together with Ayre formed the original transfer committee alongside Rodgers.

The transfer committee proved to be a disaster mostly because there was no unity of vision and everyone constantly had to make compromises. Rodgers would be insistent on certain players whereas the recruitment team were driving others. It wasn't helped by some poor decisions from the recruitment team, not least Aspas, Ilori, Markovic and it's no surprise that the Iberian scouting team was overhauled a couple of years later. However, they were working to a blue-print of Rodgers' choosing so there were many of those who were perplexed at the treatment of Markovic, in particular.

After the 13/14 season Rodgers was able to push for more of his 'picks' and got Lambert, Lallana, Lovren over the line but the following season was a disaster. Rodgers came close to losing his job but Klopp could not be persuaded to go straight back into management so Rodgers held on but it came at the cost of re-shuffling his coaching team (Pascoe was thrown under the bus and O'Driscoll and McAllister were brought in).

Approximately a year earlier (June 2013) Edwards had been made Director of Technical Performance - a promotion, of sorts, but one largely still dealing with improving internal functions as opposed to a huge amount of external involvement. However, by autumn of 2014 FSG, on the recommendation of Ayre and Gordon, began grooming Edwards for a more influential role. Training him up on contracts, negotiations, transfers, regulatory issues, elite player performance plans, FFP, solidarity and training compensation mechanisms, work permits etc. Matters he had not previously been concerned with when his focus was on the technical performance side.

Not long after Rodgers was being told he had X months to save his job FSG were making Edwards Technical Director (August 2015) - whilst that was an almost indistinguishable change in the title of his role (Director of Technical Performance), his scope of responsibilities were elevated, taking on a more prominent role externally. It was a clear sign as to where FSG were placing their faith. Rodgers made one final push for Benteke, a signing totally at odds with the objectives given to the recruitment team. Meanwhile, the recruitment team drove the purchases of Firmino and Gomez, Firmino being the first deal where, a couple of months before his official promotion, Edwards played a prominent role in negotiations with Hoffenheim and Bobby's agent.

A few months later Rodgers was gone and Klopp came in. The internal politicking was a thing of the past. Klopp was not only used to working in a collaborative system with regards to recruitment, he welcomed it. By January/February of 2016 the club were already contemplating promoting Edwards to the role of Sporting Director. He attended more and more industry events where the leaders in their field would talk about the most recent changes to the regulatory environment or new approaches to contractual and performance issues, incentives, etc. He was already a highly respected analyst of players but he was now being groomed as the lead contact for Liverpool negotiations. The summer of 2016 saw Ayre cede the majority of his responsibilities to Edwards and it was the smoothness and efficiency with which he completed the deals that year (both ins and the impressive values he secured for outs) that convinced Klopp and FSG that he ought to assume the more prominent role of Sporting Director.

He was then appointed in November 2016 with Ayre leaving his position as CEO (and external point of contact together with Gordon) a few months later. With Ayre's football responsibilities now handled by Edwards (effectively reporting to Gordon) it allowed FSG to go for a more commercially-orientated appointment as CEO. Hence it was never going to be a David Dein type appointment although I had no idea it would be Peter Moore. A few days after Moore's appointment came the van Dijk fiasco. Edwards was furious. He and Klopp had got the transfer to the stage where it was pretty much done. Edwards, you may already have surmised, keeps his counsel. He doesn't blab, he doesn't talk to the press, he's very professional, very respectful of the need for confidentiality, very respectful also of boundaries. I was concerned that this may count against him in some respects, I doubted whether he would have the necessary street smarts to be a success in his elevated role where he would have to mix with some real sharks as agents and DoFs of rival clubs. However, he's so far proven me wrong. Since VvD he's had even greater control over the recruitment process with the result that almost nothing comes out of the club anymore.

He and Klopp make an excellent team. Without either they would not be as effective. Edwards is very good at knowing value and assessing options. He's very good at knowing how to balance a transfer agreement and player contract, he's picked that up incredibly quickly - I think helped by his huge experience in player analytics. He leaves little to chance, is thorough with his research and is very particular about what and how he communicates. [I'm talking broad-brushes here from the opinion he's given me on the few occasions I've spoken with him and also from what I have heard about how he operates from those who have worked with him (I haven't).]

At the same time he (and any DoF or Sporting Director) rely on being able to sell their project to any potential target. Klopp makes Liverpool a much easier sell. Edwards is very good at the detail, he's very good at getting deals to the stage where they can be completed, very good at working through issues (Keita, VvD are classic examples) but, of course, Klopp is the ultimate pull. I would describe it as Klopp is ultimately the one that gets the players but Edwards is the one that makes sure it's the best deal from the players that he already knows are attainable.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Great post Kopstar. It was also an interesting point about Edwards relying on Klopp and vice versa. Both very good at their respective jobs but neither one a miracle-worker. Put Rodgers back in above Edwards and we wouldn't be as good at transfers as we now are (or be as attractive a draw), and put Ayre or Parry under Jurgen and suddenly we're back to fiddle-fannying about and missing out on prime targets due to indecisiveness, penny-pinching or baffling timing of annual leave.

We're lucky to have both, imho. What happens when one or the other leaves is an unsettling prospect also.

RedForever2014

What pleases me at the moment is that stats are being used to augment the identification process, not drive it entirely.

There is more to a player than his numbers, there are other factors to consider when acquiring individuals and blending together a side and squad.

I am optimistically sceptical about the regime of which Edwards is part.

I understand the need for financial management, but want to see over an extended period of time that football success is the key driver.

Red over the water

Were doing well at the moment. Edwards has played and is playing an important role in that. Thanks for the post Kopstar.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
So far, to date, Keita, Van Dijk and Mane had all came out saying Klopp spoke to them is the convincing factor for them to jump to our camp. Unless the players are lying.... Like I said without Klopp talking to the players, would we be able to get them across as easily? Only way to tell is to see the result after the man call it a day.

For now, I am going to say Klopp is the defining factor. Yes I admit I am bias towards Klopp in this matter.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
On another note, can anyone else remember when Rodgers was asking Gerrard to text players out of the blue to see if they'd come to Liverpool?

Barmy.

I think we can all agree that whatever your views on the individuals involved and the parts they play, that we're a far slicker operation these days. And long may they last.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
So far, to date, Keita, Van Dijk and Mane had all came out saying Klopp spoke to them is the convincing factor for them to jump to our camp. Unless the players are lying.... Like I said without Klopp talking to the players, would we be able to get them across as easily? Only way to tell is to see the result after the man call it a day.

For now, I am going to say Klopp is the defining factor. Yes I admit I am bias towards Klopp in this matter.
Why opposing them, mate? Klopp is all about teamwork, he has said it time and again. Obviously, looking at the results so far, he works well with Edwards, and that's all we really need to know on the matter! :-)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Why opposing them, mate? Klopp is all about teamwork, he has said it time and again. Obviously, looking at the results so far, he works well with Edwards, and that's all we really need to know on the matter! :-)
Not opposing, just that we have never had a care about anyone else other than the manager, the player and the fans. I didn't say they don't work well, just that giving him that crown as the best thing since slice bread is a bit over stretching. Like I said, if we have Rodgers here instead of Klopp will the result of buying these names be different? I firmly believe it will....

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Not opposing, just that we have never had a care about anyone else other than the manager, the player and the fans. I didn't say they don't work well, just that giving him that crown as the best thing since slice bread is a bit over stretching. Like I said, if we have Rodgers here instead of Klopp will the result of buying these names be different? I firmly believe it will....
I don't agree that we've never had a care for anyone but the manager - both Ayre and Parry copped massive flak for their handling of transfers, so I don't see why it's reasonable to complain when they're being messed up but unreasonable to give praise where it's due. Is Edwards solely responsible for transfers? No, and I suspect he'd be the first one to say so. But he is a big part of them nonetheless, and that side of our business is as good as it's ever been - in my time supporting the club in any case.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
@lfc.eddie, as Zinedine says, Ayre copped a lot of flak, especially from you if I remember well... ;-) As for Parry, we used to call him 'Parry the Snail', remember? g+h got more than their deserved amount of flak, and their horrible lackey Purslow too.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I don't agree that we've never had a care for anyone but the manager - both Ayre and Parry copped massive flak for their handling of transfers, so I don't see why it's reasonable to complain when they're being messed up but unreasonable to give praise where it's due. Is Edwards solely responsible for transfers? No, and I suspect he'd be the first one to say so. But he is a big part of them nonetheless, and that side of our business is as good as it's ever been - in my time supporting the club in any case.
Parry was never given credit on getting Torres over, convinced Gerrard to stick around, bought Alonso and Reina. He gets a lot of flak for not giving the extra 2m for Simao and Alves. Peter Robinson a name I bet 90% of the current fan base won't know who he is without using Google... That's part of the job as a suit in the club. When shit hits the fan, they have to deal with it. When things are all good and dandy, the players and the manager gets all the accolades.

As for my stance. I am not opposing to what he's doing. I am not saying he is shit. I am putting more compliments on Klopp than on edwards with what we've been able to achieve in the transfer window lately.

@Hope in your heart, just in case everyone isn't clear - Parry, Purslow and Ayre are not Director of Football/Sporting Director. DoF/Sporting Dir handles the footballing operations, those three handles more than that. Lastly, have you ever heard me singing praises at those three idiots even when we came close to winning the title?

Kopstar

★★★★★
I don't think anyone's ignoring the significant (crucial) role that the Klopp effect has on recruiting the best players. Nor should we ignore the fact that the club is now spending absolute shit loads of money on them either. I understand the scepticism about framing Edwards as a genius in circumstances where he has a manager most players want to play for and huge stacks of cash - totally valid.

But he's also one of the main reasons why we're pursuing these players with little resistance from rival clubs, why he's leveraging attractive deals in terms of directly with the players but also with their clubs. The confidence the club has in Edwards translates to him being more patient than someone otherwise might be. Someone less inclined to take the first offer, someone happy to wait and play the long game. Would Edwards have gotten all of the players without Klopp? Almost certainly not but he managed to get Firmino with Rodgers. He would have gotten Mane without Klopp, Wijnaldum, Robertson and AOC as well I'd bet. Where Klopp made a real difference was in pursuing the players who would otherwise absolutely have had high-profile rival suitors - those like Keita, VvD, Fabinho and Alisson. Edwards played an important role but yes, Klopp would have been the decisive figure in getting those players to come to Liverpool.

Klopp + an average scouting / negotiating team will still work.
One point though - Ayre / Parry / Comoli were terrible. But that's not an average level though. That's probably at the bottom level - if you want to say in manger terms - relegation zone trash.

But Edwards + an average manager - I am not sure will work well.
so I would say our successful transfers are due to 75% Klopp and 25% Edwards.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
But Edwards + an average manager - I am not sure will work well.
so I would say our successful transfers are due to 75% Klopp and 25% Edwards.
Balotelli, Benteke, Moreno, Mignolet, Bogdan..... and the list goes on.

Again - did he do his job? Yes. Should we be having his picture on a flag together with the quartet of Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish and Rafa? Nah....

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Parry was never given credit on getting Torres over, convinced Gerrard to stick around, bought Alonso and Reina. He gets a lot of flak for not giving the extra 2m for Simao and Alves. Peter Robinson a name I bet 90% of the current fan base won't know who he is without using Google... That's part of the job as a suit in the club. When shit hits the fan, they have to deal with it. When things are all good and dandy, the players and the manager gets all the accolades.

As for my stance. I am not opposing to what he's doing. I am not saying he is shit. I am putting more compliments on Klopp than on edwards with what we've been able to achieve in the transfer window lately.

@Hope in your heart, just in case everyone isn't clear - Parry, Purslow and Ayre are not Director of Football/Sporting Director. DoF/Sporting Dir handles the footballing operations, those three handles more than that. Lastly, have you ever heard me singing praises at those three idiots even when we came close to winning the title?
Parry had fuck all to do with getting Gerrard to stay.. A certain gangster going round to his family may have swung it though.