Michael Edwards

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Parry had fuck all to do with getting Gerrard to stay.. A certain gangster going round to his family may have swung it though.
Of course he didn't have anything to do with it. Just as he had fuck all to do convincing Torres, Alonso and Reina.... :think:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Of course he didn't have anything to do with it. Just as he had fuck all to do convincing Torres, Alonso and Reina.... :think:
The story I understand was that Parry fucked off on holiday when Gerrard was expected a contract offer, leaving him thinking the club weren’t arsed about him.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Balotelli, Benteke, Moreno, Mignolet, Bogdan..... and the list goes on.

Again - did he do his job? Yes. Should we be having his picture on a flag together with the quartet of Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish and Rafa? Nah....
Balotelli, signed 2014. Edwards was Director of Technical Performance. Mostly an internal role, not the main external contact for transfers. Balotelli pushed by Fallows and Hunter, not Edwards.

Benteke, signed summer 2015. Rodgers pushed for this signing, against the wishes of Edwards - it was Rodgers' one last hurrah and also a final nail in his coffin.

Moreno, signed 2014. see above re Balotelli. Edwards was Director of Technical Performance. Mostly an internal role, not the main external contact for transfers. Moreno pushed by Hunter on recommendation of Iberian scouting team.

Mignolet, signed June 2013. Edwards was Head of Performance and Analysis. Had a more junior role and was only just about to be promoted to Director of Technical Performance. No external responsibilies re transfers.

Bogdan, signed June 2015. Again, Director of Technical Performance. Mostly an internal role, not the main external contact for transfers.

It's the transfers from 2016 he should be judged on.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
(...)

@Hope in your heart, just in case everyone isn't clear - Parry, Purslow and Ayre are not Director of Football/Sporting Director. DoF/Sporting Dir handles the footballing operations, those three handles more than that. Lastly, have you ever heard me singing praises at those three idiots even when we came close to winning the title?
To be fair, I haven't seen you singing praise at anyone in all those years... ;-)lol

Noo Noo

I think the biggest and most important change here is simply that everyone is working in the same direction.

Edwards / Klopp have clearly discussed what Klopp wants in a player and then Edwards and the scouting team go and find them. Klopp clearly adds his weight and has attracted these targets into the club. Could Edwards do the same job with another manager? I'm certain he could but questions would arise about the link between that manager and Edwards. We've already seen that the system breaks down when you get a manager that struggles to build a side, changes their mind tactically, or really doesn't know what they want. Klopp on the other hand (as with many top managers) has some core principles and tends to stick to them. Lesser managers may not.

Above everything what gets me is how ridiculously easy it appears to be. There's a plan, everyone buys into it, everyone implements the plan together. Makes you think why it wasn't thought of before? Actually this is, for me where Klopp has earned his onions. He's got everyone on the same page pulling together.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Gerrard was leaving, irrespective of Parry, until other none-football parties got involved.

I'd hazard our Spanish manager had a lot more to do with 3 Spanish players joining us rather than Parry did.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Firmino and Gomez were the first he played a significant role on, as I explained. The responsibilities were still largely shared during 2015 so it's easier to judge him from 2016.
So it depends on who you explained we should judge him on because you claimed you know his job the best? Got it...

To be fair, I haven't seen you singing praise at anyone in all those years... ;-)lol
You forgot Dalglish.... the one guy I can't seem to criticise. Physically can't do it, fingers won't let me type, brain not forming words and mouth won't say it. Just don't know why....

Kopstar

★★★★★
So it depends on who you explained we should judge him on because you claimed you know his job the best? Got it...
Well, it's certainly better to judge someone on the job and responsibilities they actually have rather than on the job and responsibilities you imagine they have, no? Imagine attributing the signings of Balotelli, Mignolet, Moreno etc to Edwards? That's laughable but nonetheless, you tried. 10/10 for effort.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Well, it's certainly better to judge someone on the job and responsibilities they actually have rather than on the job and responsibilities you imagine they have, no? Imagine attributing the signings of Balotelli, Mignolet, Moreno etc to Edwards? That's laughable but nonetheless, you tried. 10/10 for effort.
Of course having imaginary relationships are definitely an advantage in justifying a point and dismiss other's opinion.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Of course having imaginary relationships are definitely an advantage in justifying a point and dismiss other's opinion.
That's right, I've imagined the whole thing. Will now need to explain to my wife what I've really been doing when I've been away 8/9 times over the last four years.

I don't know Fallows, I've met Hunter a few times, I know many of the club's external advisers and members of the in-house legal departments at several other clubs including their external advisers...as you know if you bothered to corroborate something I mentioned to you by PM a couple of years ago. Do I know everyone? No. Do I know everything? No.

But every now and again I give detail about issues that hopefully clarify things for people and every now and again you whinge because it contradicts the narrative you've imagined for yourself.

@Kopstar are you actually Melissa Reddy? Like by coincidence..

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/level-up-behind-the-upgrade-in-liverpools-transfer-strategy-191274

Excellent article! She really is one of the best writers around.
When was this published? I can't see a date. Will give it a read.

[Ah, I see about half an hour ago - the naughty little plagiarist ;-) Yeah, that's pretty much how it went except I haven't interviewed anyone on the record so no quotes from me, haha]

Last edited:

gr_sounder

So far, to date, Keita, Van Dijk and Mane had all came out saying Klopp spoke to them is the convincing factor for them to jump to our camp. Unless the players are lying.... Like I said without Klopp talking to the players, would we be able to get them across as easily? Only way to tell is to see the result after the man call it a day.

For now, I am going to say Klopp is the defining factor. Yes I admit I am bias towards Klopp in this matter.
But no player is ever going to come to a team "because of an administrator" (Edwards in this case)

Players may come to Liverpool for the city, the club, the manager, or other players.

Teams will work with Liverpool because of the efficiency and trust and fairness of the administrator (Edwards in this case).
So as long as the teams are happy to work with Edwards and he strikes good and fair deals... his role is fine.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
But no player is ever going to come to a team "because of an administrator" (Edwards in this case)

Players may come to Liverpool for the city, the club, the manager, or other players.

Teams will work with Liverpool because of the efficiency and trust and fairness of the administrator (Edwards in this case).
So as long as the teams are happy to work with Edwards and he strikes good and fair deals... his role is fine.
Again, not saying he didn't do the job. I am just saying all the "He's Thanos" and magic wand waver, was the reason all this influx of great players. I am not denying the fact that he works well UNDER Klopp's guidance and directions. Not one bit. I am just stating that Klopp is the most prominent in getting all these big guns across.

Some even gave him credit for selected players only at selected years, and those who failed - "Shaggy time". Now that I do have problems with....

Kopstar

★★★★★
Again, not saying he didn't do the job. I am just saying all the "He's Thanos" and magic wand waver, was the reason all this influx of great players. I am not denying the fact that he works well UNDER Klopp's guidance and directions. Not one bit. I am just stating that Klopp is the most prominent in getting all these big guns across.

Some even gave him credit for selected players only at selected years, and those who failed - "Shaggy time". Now that I do have problems with....
Ok, ignore Firmino and Gomez then if you don't like the fact he was more involved in those deals than the other signings of 2015. Ignore them entirely and just go from 2016. The only reason those deals were relevant was because of the claim that Edwards couldn't arrange signing quality players without Klopp.

What you tried to do was to say that he was responsible for the questionable signings before 2015 in an attempt to dismiss his current importance. Laughable.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What you tried to do was to say that he was involved in signings before 2015 in an attempt to dismiss his current importance. Laughable.
I dismiss his over exaggerated importance.... there's a difference. I am not geared up to suck up to someone whom I do not know. He's not my imaginary buddy. My comments did strike a cord that seemed to have you irritated.... I am baffled.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I dismiss his over exaggerated importance.... there's a difference. I am not geared up to suck up to someone whom I do not know. He's not my imaginary buddy. My comments did strike a cord that seemed to have you irritated.... I am baffled.
You're baffled that I would be irritated by you suggesting that what I take the time to set out is a figment of my imagination?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.

I don't think anybody on here has over-exaggerated his importance. Why you fail to acknowledge what a good job he is doing has me baffled.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Or you are a serial troll who loves winding people up.

If you don't care for Edwards, why pollute the thread with what are basically wind up posts against those who are happy with the job he is doing?

You post a lot in here for someone who doesn't care much.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I don't think anybody on here has over-exaggerated his importance. Why you fail to acknowledge what a good job he is doing has me baffled.
He is doing his job which I acknowledged, no argument from me there. But if you look the last few pages, you'd see where I am coming from.

Or you are a serial troll who loves winding people up.

If you don't care for Edwards, why pollute the thread with what are basically wind up posts against those who are happy with the job he is doing?

You post a lot in here for someone who doesn't care much.
Ah yes.... the owner of the forum has spoken. One who don't share your view and has an opinion to express is a wind up. I think you need some prozac, you are way too easily wound up....

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Ah yes.... the owner of the forum has spoken. One who don't share your view and has an opinion to express is a wind up. I think you need some prozac, you are way too easily wound up....
You just accused another poster of basically lying. That's not expressing an opinion, it's offensive and baiting (Bait - deliberately annoy or taunt (someone).)

Absolutely nothing to do with me or my posts.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
To be fair to Eddie, there was a pic of Edwards as Thanos earlier in the thread.

Clearly tongue in cheek though.

Red over the water

We're a funny lot. Not just LFC fans, but the human species as a whole! When things are going poorly, we want to know who is responsible. When things are going well, we want to know who is responsible. Usually it's a cast of characters and various circumstances on both sides of it.

In this instance, I like the Klopp 75% and Edwards 25%. It's impossible, without working directly with them, to know, but as a fan I am over the moon we have Klopp, and I'm happy that Edwards is a professional and he's doing a good job. Klopp has the name and the cachet. He is world renowned and plenty of players want to play for him. And then on the other hand in such a competitive world, especially at the top end, you still have to get deals over the line, and identify the right targets and all the rest of it.

Well said to whoever pointed out that they were glad that it seems like we're all pulling in the same direction. It's a cliche, but it's true, and the results we're seeing are down to that.

Klopp has such standing in the game, and he is so comfortable in his own skin, that he's happy to share the credit and point to the team-first ethic. This applies on the pitch and off it. He knows he has talented colleagues, and they all have the necessary latitude to make their own telling contribution.

Long may it continue!

PS - I don't want to bash former managers, apart from Roy Hodgson obviously; but that is one of the key differences between Brendan and Jurgen. Hopefully Brendan learns from his experience at Liverpool, as much of it was good, but the idea of being the sheriff in town and not really wanting to collaborate with other experts is increasingly anachronistic.

Last edited:

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Sigh.....

Is it really worth the argument lads?

Not to piss on anyone’s chips but no one knows the role or influence or descions that Edwards made (good or bad). I bet you could ask the people directly involved at this time and you would get wildly different answers. Rodgers version of the truth, would be very different to Edwards version, and would be very different to what Henry belives.

Truth is not black and white and there was a full on PR war shifting blame and responsibility. Ultimately though it was decision making by committee and however the events unfolded, no one walks away with much credit (including the owners).

This does not mean that anyone is lying or misinformed, but it also does not mean views or information is correct. It’s one sides perspective of the truth.

My take is Edwards shares some of the responsibility for poor past windows. He has learnt and share some of the responsibility for the positive ones we see today. The biggest aspect to this is a clear vision and direction offered by the manager.