Michael Edwards

Sweeting

No issues with any of the business done deal by deal. We have also been selling players who are of little use and upgrading them.

But the issue is that the squad is not deep enough and is going to end up too light if we keep selling players and don't replace them.
That point can be argued on Clyne but I don't think Solanke has been part of the squad all season has he?

As an aside, we are the best selling club in the world. Spurs have the reputation for being tough negotiators but who else consistently sells players for well above market value (and still maintain their "good to deal with" reputation encouraging repeat business)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
It's a bit of a funny time to be making the point that the squad isn't deep after winning every game in a jam packed December.

We're probably a wide forward short of having good depth in every position. It's a pretty good state of affairs, that.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
No issues with any of the business done deal by deal. We have also been selling players who are of little use and upgrading them.

But the issue is that the squad is not deep enough and is going to end up too light if we keep selling players and don't replace them.
Not the case with Solanke. The lad has not played a single minute this season. That isn’t depth - it’s surplus.

If we were discussing Clyne, I’d tend to agree. But Solanke is one who we can let go. He needs games at this point. A year where he can’t even get on our bench is going to really set him back.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Not the case with Solanke. The lad has not played a single minute this season. That isn’t depth - it’s surplus.

If we were discussing Clyne, I’d tend to agree. But Solanke is one who we can let go. He needs games at this point. A year where he can’t even get on our bench is going to really set him back.
That is a fair point regarding Solanke, but should both the club and player fought more and instead of selling so quickly, instead have tried to get him game time via a loan to the Championship till the end of season, and if he proves good enough then a premier league loan for next season.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
That is a fair point regarding Solanke, but should both the club and player fought more and instead of selling so quickly, instead have tried to get him game time via a loan to the Championship till the end of season, and if he proves good enough then a premier league loan for next season.
We have a buy back clause (or first refusal). Best of all worlds really.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
We have a buy back clause (or first refusal). Best of all worlds really.
Didn't know that, but great news - I have a feeling that with some decent game time and confidence once he gets a couple of goals he could be a pretty solid player

lfc.8

Didn't know that, but great news - I have a feeling that with some decent game time and confidence once he gets a couple of goals he could be a pretty solid player
'A pretty solid player' these days just doesn't cut it where the ambition is to win all there is.

£19m is great business. A little surprised by the amount but it will only further prop up what we can spend either this window or in the future.

Last edited:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
'A pretty solid player' these days just doesn't cut it where the ambition is to win all there is.

£19m is great business. A little surprised by the amount but it will only further prop up what we can spend either this window or in the future.
Heard this morning that 19M is the 3rd highest fee paid for an English striker, which if true is pretty mind blowing, especially for a player with only 1 senior goal and so few games played.

Also, in regards to your comment about a pretty solid player these days doesn't cut it, sometimes you do need that sort that will be happy being involved with the squad and able to do a job when needed. You can't always have multiple world class players for 1 position if the first choice is going to play 90-95% of games, and from what I've seen of Solanke he seemed like the sort of player that would not cause a huge disruption when not playing.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Got us the best part of £30m for that useless lump Benteke aswell didn't he?
The fees for Benteke, Sakho, Coutinho, Smith, Stewart and Ibe were all excellent bits of business.

Personally, I don't think Ings, Solanke or Ward were particularly overpriced. They're all good, young, homegrown players.

Magnus

Not to that price. We sold him for an impressive amount of sterling pounds.

Maria

I was so critical of Michael Edwards post and what he was supposedly doing, i still feel really bad. I have been eating humble pie since last year. I was led astray by the football media journalists, social media etc.

I am so sorry Mr Edwards:((

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
So if barca sell coutinho and we miss out on 30m or 40m in these unfulfilled add ons is that Edward's fault?

Kopstar

★★★★★
Of the £36m payable in add-ons we've already received £9m. If Coutinho plays another three games we'll receive a further £4.5m. When Barca qualify for the CL for next season, a further £4.5m so that's half of the add-ons certain to be paid already by the end of this season.

The rest will be payable if Barca win the CL this season (£4.5m) and another if they win it next season (£4.5m). If Coutinho makes 75 appearances (£4.5m) for Barca and then also on making 100 appearances (£4.5m).

Despite his travails I'd think it likely he'll play at least 75 times before he moves (if he moves) and Barca are in the mix, at least, for the CL over the next couple of seasons. Those add-ons I'd say are the least likely, which the club would have recognised from the outset.

Still, even if the club *only* end up getting £128.5m that's still a bloody good deal.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
So if barca sell coutinho and we miss out on 30m or 40m in these unfulfilled add ons is that Edward's fault?
Nope, cause I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he managed to get them included in the next deal we do with Barca

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Does anyone know if there's a Barca sell on fee for Coutinho? Presume it would be a percentage of total transfer fee we would receive.

Might help with any shortfall from the performance/appearance related clauses, should he be sold.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Does anyone know if there's a Barca sell on fee for Coutinho?
I doubt we inserted that clause, we kinda know he isn't going to go anywhere else which will generate profit for Barcelona. When you duped someone into paying that sort of money for a player, you don't go push your luck too much. Just walk away with a smirk on your face outside the door. lol

Kopstar

★★★★★
Edwards' next trick this summer will be keeping the wage bill the same (including the cost of renewals) whilst simultaneously improving the first team options.

I fancy there to be a lot of outgoings.