Michael Robinson - RIP

KMD1951

Just heard the terrible news on TalkSPORT that Michael Robinson has passed away age 61. Member of the treble winning team of 1984. Very good player who possibly just lacked a little bit of self belief to make it an Anfield. RIP.

RodM

That was out of the blue. The one thing I always remember about Michael Robinson is that he didn't tuck his shirt in, so if he was fouled he would always pick himself up and pull his shirt down which gave the appearance that he was about to deck the offending player.

I think he was only with us for the one season. I thought he was pretty decent -I seem to recall that he came on for Dalglish in the Euopean Cup final.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Last edited:

Red over the water

Genuinely sad to hear this news. I remember him at Brighton, with us and then onto Spain. Was it Osasuna? I’m not looking it up! Never a great player, but a good pro, a solid player who led the line well (given the strikers we have had over the years, to get to wear that red shirt is an amazing achievement, so I mean absolutely zero criticism of him as a player).

Back in the day the template for ex players was to hang up your boots, maybe buy and run a pub, or get a job as a pundit, or possibly in the game as a coach or manager.

Michael Robinson started a second life in Spain, embraced the culture, mastered the language, and then revolutionized the art of presenting. He added depth of insight and gravitas to the role and plenty have tried to copy him since but haven’t made a mark in the profession in quite the same way.

Never knew him, but knew him, if that makes sense. A bright fella and a charming man, who gave so much. Proud to say he was one of us, and he would be proud to say the same.

Condolences to his family and loved ones. 61 is no age but he packed at least two full lifetimes worth of achievement into the one life he had.

YNWA