Mohamed Salah (RW/LW) AS Roma

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, May 31, 2017.

?

What will Salah be leaning on?

1. A wall

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. A rack of boots

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Alby Moreno

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. The 'This is Anfield' sign

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Klopp's manly embrace

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. A bit of Melwood

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  7. A desk with a dummy contract on it

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. A suitcase full of cash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A flight back to Rome, dejected and alone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. That bar that Del Boy fell through.

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

I heard John himself slipped the drug into Sakhos herbal mint tea so he could sell him on and replace him with Gibson from a relegated Boro.

2. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

I doubt very much Klopp has ever promised a player, past or present, a starting 11 position. In fact I would question any manager who would bring in a player with such demands, as it suggests the player doesn't have the stomach to fight for his spot.

Can won't be demanding a starting position as he will know it needs to be earned. If he however is regularly on the outer fringes of the starting 11 all season next year he will probably look elsewhere next summer, and that would be fair enough. It would mean he hasn't shown enough to be regularly starting for us (which can only mean the guy starting in his place has been doing his job!) so it will probably be better for his career if he moved on then and I would be fine with that.

As for Nicol, he would fit right in on a football fan forum, and he really highlighted his lack of managerial ability with his comments. Salah is likely an inferior player than Coutinho, but its very possible that Salah could keep Coutinho from playing as left forward as Salah might just bring better scoring opportunities to the team overall. That is not suggesting Salah is a better player than Cou, and in fairness whatever happens we will almost certainly fit Cou in somewhere else anyway, but Salah just might be better as a wide forward due to keeping width. Anybody suggesting he will be a guaranteed bench player should check out Exhibit A: Victor Moses.

3. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

Where's the part about AFCON?

redfanman likes this.
  4. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

5. prest

prest Banned Users

The bottom line is that we'll lose him and Mane every time AFCON is played, which if I'm not mistaken is every fortnight for a month. Is it really worth it for a player who didn't want to come here and already flopped in England?

I'd rather we bought Quaresma. lol

6. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

You make some strong points here, but I am going to stick with my opinion that as much as the media love to whip us up in a frenzy... Salah is a lesser version of Mane that we'd pay more money for that what we already have in that position.

This one doesn't make sense to me on a few different angles. If we're going to splash £35-40mil on someone, it should be of higher quality in a position we need to bolster.

Gazmaninaus likes this.
  7. spooky

spooky TIA New Signing

So every two weeks for a month

Mark Thurgood and redfanman like this.
  8. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

I would say that you are very much mistaken.

redfanman, Alright Now and spooky like this.
  9. Zinedine Biscan

No, as written it looks like a month every two weeks, which is slightly alarming. I guess the competition runs concurrently, constantly throughout the season.

It's amazing any European clubs sign African players with that kind of international commitment.

redfanman, Livvy and spooky like this.
  10. spooky

spooky TIA New Signing

No wonder Matip retired

11. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

It's why we're the only side on for Salah. Roma are thankful to have found someone so dumb to do business with. Damn you Ian Ayre (Rick Parry...and so on).

spooky likes this.
  12. big noyd

big noyd Well-Known Member

why does it seem as if the people complaining about the fee or claiming they'd prefer gelson martins are largely the same people who would throw be throwing fits over cheapness and lack of ambition and the need for proven players if martins had been the first name to emerge as a winger/wide fwd target?

salah is almost two years younger than doug costa, and had about as many goals for roma last year as costa had in his last 3 in a lesser ukrainian league

afcon 19 is ludicrously distant. how many mgrs will watford sack between now & then? 5? mane's pace/threat was sorely missed at the end of last season, when he was hurt. and there should be more games next year. beyond that, mane played quite a bit on the left for soton, anyway

the fee roma is seeking is so outrageous that inter wants significantly more for an older, inferior player in perisic

eythor, Livvy, steveee and 2 others like this.
  13. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

Some folk still can't get their head around the craziness of this summer's hyper-inflated transfer market, and as the Chinese buy up more clubs that condition could become the norm unless FIFA or UEFA decide to step in and do something about it, if they indeed can.

LaurazRed and legalalien like this.
  14. steveee

steveee TIA Reserve Team

that's how it always is year after year with many on the internets.. I would pay no attention to these people. . and yes once we do eventually sign someone .. then there will be many complaining about the fee saying we overpaid. and about 93% of those who will say that are also the same ones who complain about us being cheap and not paying the extra money to land someone. it's not as bad on this forum as it is in the comment sections on this site

ps. salah > perisic you are correct.... but i would take either

15. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

According to Sky in Italy, "Roma are expecting Liverpool to come back with an improved offer for Mohamed Salah (this weekend)".

Don't spoil your weekend staying in sitting by the phone lads.:rolleyes:

Scott Jones likes this.
  16. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Always remember Bolasie went to the bitters for £28mil.

Limiescouse likes this.
  17. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Bit fooken late to be telling us now then innit!! :((

SBYM likes this.
  18. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

No good...

He is useless every Easter. Something about the sins of all mankind, or some such shit...

Scott Jones likes this.
  19. prest

prest Banned Users

Apparently my jest was misinterpreted. I thought the lol was enough of a clue, but I guess not. I've been one of the few saying Salah is a fantastic signing. Thought it was clear I rated him.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  20. Zinedine Biscan

Bit too subtle, I fear!

21. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

the issue for me personally is that historically Serie A form does not transfer over to other european leagues . Salah may well be fantastic but it may also be that the italian lifestyle and style of football suits him and enables him to play to his full ability. those who don't believe that a football club looks at the downside and what if it does not work out .. will we be able to recoup all or some of our outlay are deluded . we are not talking about a few quid down the back of the settee (sofa/couch) if it goes awry. i think we are being sensible . If we were to pay £40m for Salah and he flops then we will be lucky to get back half of that - probably £22m so a potential £6m gamble rather than an £18m gamble .Please bare in mind that no transfer is guaranteed to be a success. If he is a success then we may well double his value - risk to reward . just because we have money to spend does not mean we should let everyone dip into our pockets .

i'd like also to state that i am not being a negative bastard and that i just want us to pay the best price for LFC and not for the selling club . Being the record signing for a club our size will add extra pressure on his shoulders and the media scrutiny of his every touch will be immense and from the supporters that wish to beat FSG with any stick they can find . i am not saying do not sign him - sign him for the right price !!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  22. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

He performed for Basel, he did for Chelsea, so that's three leagues he's played well. You'd argue he's come of age at Roma which a lot of players will as they grow etc. I think him coming back to the EPL he will have a huge point to prove as well.

23. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Prices have gone up since we signed Mane. Even if he is a lesser version of Mane that doesnt prevent him being an excellent signing at that price - what would it cost to buy Mane now?

24. Klopptinho

yeah a huge point to prove - that is my point . he didn't perform as well as expected at chelsea and neither did cuardado and both have done well in their italian league ventures . no doubt salah has ability but if you honestly look at the players that have left serie A and been a success elsewhere having been a big star in italy .. there are very few . the game over there is so slow and tactical . i wouldn't pay £40m without it being full of addons for him being successful - not just him but any player from the italian league apart from a few defenders and a few keepers . it's not personal with this particular player it is based upon my knowledge of football over about 27 years

25. Klopptinho

if you're bidding then it is £200m . we know you have it in spare change :tongue:

Alright Now and redfanman like this.
  26. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

Do Roma need to sell some players by end of June because of FFP?

27. NJLFCJake

NJLFCJake Well-Known Member

28. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

Sorry lah, but Sky only posted the update at 5:19pm.:-(

Maria and Wyld@Heart like this.
  29. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

hard to say, as he hasn't returned from knee surgery. He may never return the same player.

30. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Cheers, thanks for that. Fucking Sunday morning here and everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.