Mohamed Salah (RW/LW) AS Roma

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, May 31, 2017.

?

What will Salah be leaning on?

1. A wall

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. A rack of boots

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Alby Moreno

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. The 'This is Anfield' sign

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Klopp's manly embrace

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. A bit of Melwood

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  7. A desk with a dummy contract on it

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. A suitcase full of cash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A flight back to Rome, dejected and alone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. That bar that Del Boy fell through.

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eythor

eythor New Member

Another way of looking at it is that we struggled massively against sides who sit deep and don't press. His experience from his current league might help him in that regard.

2. Hazem

Hazem New Member

I am pretty sure that Salah will adopt very well in EPL
    Everyone says that the way Liverpool plays is suit him
    ANd with his pace and intelligence, he can easy score and create chances from behind the defenders
    But this will depend on klopp , who should understand how to get 100% from Salah and don't waste his power by defending
    And I do trust klopp very much
    Second the mid field players , who must linked well with Salah and give him the right pass in right time
    If no one will pass the ball to Salah , then he will look useless
    Good luck to Salah and Liverpool , it's seems the deal is already done

Maria, Livvy and redfanman like this.
  3. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Do you not think his style of play (searing pace, running at players, great one on one ability) is actually far more suited to a "helter skelter" higher tempo game with less emphasis on defence?

He doesn't exactly come across as a diva that won't press or chase back either. To me, the worry is whether he will be able to help us open up the teams that do sit back with two banks of four? If his arrival gives us that threat on the opposite wing to Mane and allows Coutinho to go deeper centrally then I hope that will open teams up more.

We needed a wide forward type, not seen many better that I'd say would be attainable. I'd have him over Gelson Martins 100 times in a 100

Arminius, Chewbazza and redfanman like this.
  4. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

they don't tend to "park the bus" in the italian league they just try to keep their shape and that is different from what struggled against - teams defending their 18 yard box. italian league defenders try to intercept the ball rather than get a foot in and if you're good enough to play the ball into the space or pull them out one on one you can cause them problems . teams we struggled against tend to have 3 on 1 and when we move the ball they quickly retreat back into their shell . it's a very different style .

Lalo and lfc.eddie like this.
  5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

That only happens to one or two players, and even then if there were runners from deep would break that barrier with ease. Our struggle is more of what you mentioned, keeping shape but not coming out to intercept. The crowded out the mid section of the 18 yard box with two banks of 4, while leaving the extra man running down and chasing players whenever our player get close to their final third with the ball. If we have two players on each flanks with pace, and a great finisher of a striker, that could spell trouble for such defence as we have shown in our first half of the season when everyone was on fire. And that's us with Mane alone, imagine two Mane's.

FGred and redfanman like this.
  6. Klopptinho

in theory he should be a success but the lack of players that have made the switch from the italian league to other european leagues and been just as successful is few and far between . In the premier league he is going to use far more energy in pressing tracking back and being asked to make runs and not get the ball than he will playing in italy . when you can conserve the majority of your energy for just attacking it is very helpful - anyone who has ever played football at any level at all knows this :tongue: (eden hazard for example!)

we do need that wide player i agree and from what i am reading it is £35m but that is made up of Add ons which seems to me very sensible - some where talking £40m and to just pay it which is where a lot of my reservations started . i mentioned earlier about risk to reward - fed up of us buying players that we then lose money on massively.

i'm unsure on the two banks of four park the bus tactic but if the fee is based upon him being a success then it's worth the risk i guess.. it will imo take him time to adapt - different styles of play can make some players look like world beaters and others like sean dundee .

i can see the benefit of allowing coutinho to drop deeper as we saw in the last game or two towards the back end of last season. i can't think of many wide players that would be realistic targets either i just don't want fans/supporters turning on Salah because he is not producing straight away or not to the same level . I am offering up the reasons before the incident has occurred - firmino took about 6 months to adapt properly from the bundesliga and that is far more similar a league than serie A. Mane has the pace over the first 2 yards from a standing start that is frightening for defenders.

7. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Is Salah this year's Zielinski?

legalalien and redfanman like this.
  8. LFC_5

LFC_5 Active Member

Well fuck me more twists from salah 's agent ..

It's amazing what one fan picture, along with a stab-in-the-dark caption, will lead many to believe... #fakenews

Looks like this still isn't sorted

9. Klopptinho

those teams we have struggled against are much more compact in holding a shape . it is different from holding your line and position - not all of them are successful in doing this in serie A either some are pretty erratic in defending because their players just aren't very good lol but they don't choose to play park the bus . the Italian style is ingrained upon them from generation to generation . In england it is acceptable to have no intention of scoring and defend your box from minute 1 to minute 95 if need be - retreat into the box and block everything and everyone - if he can adapt to that mentality and be as good as mane then brilliant . I won'r expect it immediately though.

Italian managers have adapted brilliantly to the premier league though using similar tactics to the serie A top teams but top serie A players haven't adapted to playing the premier league way . It's just bugging me that no matter how much quality he seems to have he is from Serie A :unhappy::unhappy::?::?::?: i honestly hope i my fears do not come to fruition and that he is a major success obviously! but i can see crespo shevchenko cuardado brolin etc etc although Lombardo did ok for palace so there is a chink of light in my despair lol life would be so much simpler if i didn't remember ancient stuff lol

Irishanfield likes this.
  10. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

Na think that was two years before his name was Salah.

11. rab

rab Well-Known Member

But surely if Italian leagues are all about being organised in defence he'll have been used to tracking back. Using that reasoning any player who hasn't played in a high press side like Klopp likes to play would be unsuited. What would makes Martins or Brandt or Inaki Williams better prepared for our pressing game?

In terms of worrying about resale value I honestly am not fussed. If he flops we'll lose some, if he's a success and here until he's 30 we won't make our money back. I don't think any fan should be thinking about future profits on players before we've bought them as it smacks of a mindset that there's bigger and better things to go onto if you're a success at Liverpool.

First things first we need to actually sign the guy. Then let's see how he settles before we worry too much. But what we do know is ready made quality costs big money and just because it's Italy doesn't mean he's any more or less likely to be a success than someone from France, Spain or Germany. Or England for that matter.

12. GermanRed

GermanRed Well-Known Member

Mohamed Salah's agent has tonight hinted that his client's move to Liverpool isn't done yet.

Just after it was thought the Roma winger was set to complete his move to Anfield, he tweeted saying it is fake news.

"It's amazing what one fan picture, along with a stab-in-the-dark caption, will lead many to believe... #fakenews." he said.

13. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

We know :-)

Scott Jones likes this.
  14. Klopptinho

please don't throw names into a debate that have never been mentioned by me nor have i said that anyone else is ready made or perfect for a high pressing energy game . my point is purely based upon the fact that players who have done well in the italian league rarely transfer that form to another countries football style .Even world player of the year Kaka didn't make the same impact at real madrid. shevchenko abysmal at chelsea . erik lamela great at roma...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-do-so-many-big-serie-signings-flop-premier-league

i don't really like to link articles that are not my own words but it's not just myself that has questions about serie A transfers.

15. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

I do hope that we again didn't lowered the price after agreeing a fee.

It is my opinion, just so you know Eddie. Not a fact. IMO.

tobfon likes this.
  16. MerahRed73

MerahRed73 New Member

Salah is overprice!! LFC better pursue players such as Lemar or even Costa.

17. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

A sentence that has the word "hope" in it cannot be a fact, since it is something that has not happened. Just so you know that too....

Klopptinho and redfanman like this.
  18. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Both Joyce and Reddy now confirming the deal is very close this morning. I guess this one is over the line for 35m pounds. I'd say it's a good deal for the money and look forward to seeing how he does next year.

I just hope to fuck this is not our one major purchase of the summer done, ideally we need at least another two equivalents to Salah (in terms of quality, not position) to strengthen the squad this summer.

19. spizfromoz

spizfromoz The Ancient Home of Austerity

Ok, looks like another piece of the jigsaw taking its place. Pace and genuine goal threat. He was ok in his limited chances at Chelsea. Another Mourinho victim. So I'm not concerned about the Serie A to EPL switch. Normally I would be. I like this, not only for depth, but I wondered how much better we'd be with another wide forward and Coutinho in the middle and Firmino creating chances and spaces as a No 9-10. He only had Mane on one side and Cou on the other. But I think Cou will now take his place at CM. One more part of the jigsaw right there. I doubt we'll buy a CM. But I do hope Hendo comes back fit. Now a LB and we're very very close. CB good too. But LB and wide forward, CM were my biggest concerns. Of course, it has to happen, yet

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  20. rab

rab Well-Known Member

I mention those names as those are other wide players we've been strongly linked with this window or last. Could add Promes to that too if you like.

Would we have the same Italian concerns if it were Chiellini, Dybala or icardi that we were in for? I get that there's been some prominent flops from Italy but there's also a lot less players coming from Italy than Spain or France. And for every Torres or De Bruyne there's a soldado or schurrle.

Ultimately it's about the player himself, not the league he's coming from.

21. coldbeatle89

coldbeatle89 Member

First post here. From Atlanta, USA. I'm a REALLY big fan of Salah- he's fast as all get-out and I feel like him opposite Mane would be dynamite. Around 35 million seems about right and I think it would be a great value.

22. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Someone please just tell me my phone is going to beep today and this will be over...

23. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

Not today I reckon... but conceivably tomorrow, which would be fab.

redfanman, SBYM and Celtic Dragon like this.
  24. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Everywhere you look, sources are saying he'll be here for a medical tomorrow. We can only hope, but lets wait and see!

redfanman, SBYM and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  25. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Well thanks to @Lowton_Red we wasted our weekend waiting so thats the least you and I deserve I would think.

26. Makati Red

Makati Red Banned Users

Well his agent says its all BS

27. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

And when have you known an agent to EVER tell the truth to the press?

redfanman likes this.
  28. GermanRed

GermanRed Well-Known Member

I bet this Thread will reach 50 pages before the transfer will be confirmed.

Fee (+add-ons) and personal terms have been agreed so you guys should all calm down a bit.

RedBadger1848 likes this.
  29. Klopptinho

we'll keep going round and round in circles lol i don't want to keep repeating myself . i consider myself to be knowledgeable when it comes to football and i would be far less concerned if he was coming from the German Bundesliga because of the style of football . in the italian league that extra second on the ball can make a player look a world beater because he has time to get his head up and find the right pass or look where the space is to run into - in the premier league .. you've been tackled and dumped on your ass in that second .

i won't be rushing to this forum or any other to jump on him if he does make a slow start or not adapt. there will be those that do , that have probably said , pay the £40m! look at his stats! lol one of the major reasons for the lack of players coming from italy is a lack of quality and that the ones who have come have invariably flopped .

i don't want the guy to be a flop i am just offering my knowledgeable opinion on the different styles of football between the two leagues and why being a success in one doesn't always lead to being a success in the other.

i want him to succeed and i ll be delighted if he does .

30. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

I warned you, I told you not to wait by your phone, but would you listen? No, typical of you youngsters of today, no respect for their elders, none what-so-ever, and where do you think you are going? Get back here, I haven't finished. And stop slamming doors.:unhappy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.