• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Mohamed Salah: Welcome to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
Ad-free Member
Indeed. I suspect Salah is - for the time being at least - our new record signing. Quite why the club want to keep it as Andy Carroll for as long as possible I don't know!

But, in seriousness, we've probably rounded down a lot of figures to avoid accusations from some that we've overpaid, though in today's market I don't see it as a problem even at the higher figure given by Roma.

Looking forward to seeing him in action.
Not having Salah as record signing could lessen pressure on him. I reckon if he starts well they would use the term "record signing" liberally.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Who cares if Carroll is still our record signing on paper, it was stupid but it's in the past now and it's only good for crappy sites with clickbait headlines. I naturally hope we paid for Salah what Echo are reporting, but then again we're likely to break this record again at least once this summer.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Is it me or does Peter Moore look a bit like Eddie Jones the England rugby coach.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Peter Moore @PeterMooreLFC·5m

"...and as you go screaming down the left wing towards the away fans in the Annie Road end, with Bobby and Phil trying to keep up with you"

I'm starting to like Peter Moore
He does seem to have a bit of character, which is a nice surprise for one of the suits.

Or at least one that doesn't scream "mid-life crisis" *sidelong glance towards Ian Ayre*...

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Differing reports on the fee. Roma have issued a statement saying the sale was 42m euros, which equates to £36.9, which makes him our record signing. They also say there are 8m euros worth of future add-ons.

Liverpool believe the total value of the transfer is £34.3m according to the Echo.

Re Roma's statement, the Echo goes on to say:

"It’s not definitive of course but the fact that giving false information to the markets can result in significant penalties and even constitute criminal offences, it is unlikely that it is not an accurate reflection of the details of the deal."
Could be as simple as how a club books what the agents receive. Roma may net 34.3M from LFC, directing LFC to make payment of that difference to his agent.

Limiescouse

They are sharp...

Ever notice how no one ever makes sexy defender boots...
I think old fashioned plain black ones look really sharp these days given the contrast with the nonsense everyone else has on their feet. I once got my hands on a pair of limited edition brown leather Puma Kings, and they were the sexiest things I've ever worn. The looked great with a suit as well.

I think a lot of the enthusiasm over this move is that it just makes so much sense, and we have far too few of those in recent years. Klopp wanted a player with pace who could play the wide attacker role. He fits the bill. He wanted one who was well rounded enough that he can score goals. He fits the bill. He needs players with a certain mentality, and Mo certainly seems to fit that bill. What I like about him though, is for all the focus on his pace and traditional winger qualities, so many of the goals he scores are almost traditional CF goals, with him succesfully attacking the box from his side of the pitch when the ball is on the other side. Years ago, me and @Zinedine Biscan coined a term for these sorts of modern forwards. They're not wingers, because that conjours images of players like Waddle, players who think their responsibility is to simply beat a defender and get in a cross. They are certainly not wide mids. But they are also not strikers either. They are "Stringers" - players who ostensibly start wide, but play with the instincts of a striker. He really fits the bill very well.

I'm also pleasantly surprised with how good his English is.

It might be a bit early to post this but the hype is bound to die down at some point so here goes:

Salah will certainly improve us and add depth, but I'm not sure he should be starting. The prevailing train of thought amongst supporters is that Wijnaldum makes way, Coutinho drops back, and both Mane and Salah start as wingers. That is a bit oversimplistic I think. It's mouthwatering, sure, but it totally ignores midfield balance.
This itself is oversimplistic, as worrying about who should be "starting" is a false dilemma.

Last edited:

Jase

They are sharp...

Ever notice how no one ever makes sexy defender boots...
I remember the day (not that long ago really) when wearing anything other than plain, black boots was like painting a bullseye on your ankles for every defender on the other team.

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
I can see how we're going to play now. Coutinho will move centrally, Firmino in the no9-10 and Mane and Sarah will tear in and around wide positions. Love it! Really really love this move. Now a left back who can defend and we are close, really close.

Oh, and welcome Mo!

"...Mohammed, the Egyptian superman..."

liver1

What I like about this as well is that Klopp has said hes been monitoring Salah ever since he was at Basel, so he knows his game. This isnt just a case of hes had greats stats recently, lets get him. There was a reason for monitoring him before he matured as a player.

The same goes for Mane when he was at Salzburg. Both players were being watched before they hit the big time. Its probably no coincidence that Klopp has his ear on the ground with young players in the German, Swiss and Austrian leagues.

It goes to show that these are not flavour of the month signings but long term targets.

Now who else has Klopp been monitoring as a young player at Salzburg, before his breakout season? Naby Keita :)

Last edited:

Makati Red

Banned Users
Just seen his first interview what a top bloke and a real LFC character and I really hope he makes it here besides my reservations.

For me he really improves the match day squad and time will tell if he improves the match day 11.

Welcome and good luck, hope you make it

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
He does seem to have a bit of character, which is a nice surprise for one of the suits.

Or at least one that doesn't scream "mid-life crisis" *sidelong glance towards Ian Ayre*...
I always thought Ayre was ok. It was Rick Parry before him that used to grind my gears!

But yes, Peter does seem a huge improvement on both.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Now we have a pacey team, finally. We lacked pace last season without Mané.

It looks like we are playing much like City: 4-1-4-1 with two creative midfielders (Hendo as DM and Coutinho + Keita/New buy able to defend and bring balance, but really good creating chances), two speedsters in the wings and a Striker (Firmino) not that fast but able to create space for the team. Attack 4-3-3 and defend 4-1-4-1. Amazing counter-attack.

This season we will be much improved.

PLEASE, don't get me wrong when I say this, but Salah went the Cristiano Ronaldo route. United's Ronaldo was able do dribble like hell, lots of tricks and whatever, but he was not that direct. His end product was pretty good, but it could be better. Then he decided to change his playstyle. No more dribble, only direct football with speed and power. The result was almost no tricks or dribbles, but many goals and assists.

Salah from 2/3 years ago was not the best when it comes to end product, but right now it's just full speed, direct football, assists and goals. He has no time to waste doing another stuff and that's why Klopp went for him. That's my guess.

That's why I prefer Salah over Gelson Martins, for example. Too much dribble, too much skill but the end product is not there. When we think about Klopp's way, it's dead simple thinking about Salah, the perfect fit.

And one more guess: Mané might be going to LW, where he did play for Salzburg.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
PLEASE, don't get me wrong when I say this, but Salah went the Cristiano Ronaldo route. United's Ronaldo was able do dribble like hell, lots of tricks and whatever, but he was not that direct. His end product was pretty good, but it could be better. Then he decided to change his playstyle. No more dribble, only direct football with speed and power. The result was almost no tricks or dribbles, but many goals and assists.
Good shout, @Koon - see your point.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
You don't see them playing together or not as touchline-hugging wingers? They'll definitely start either side of Firmino as a default. Not as traditional wingers of course.
Not as traditional wingers. I honestly haven't seen Salah play ( Video clips on youtube don't count ), so I can't estimate how he is willing to track back and help the defense, or can he play other positions. I know Mane can play CF or as 2nd striker, so maybe we will see different formations, but in general I doubt wewill see a 4-3-3 with Mane and Salah both playing wide either side of a CF.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
It's a good sign that he is a chelsea reject (allegedly).
That can only mean he is going to thrive here.

@Mascot88
Photoshopped. Fake news. So sad.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
We are his 4th club in 4 years. He needs to settle down to develop his career.

Let's enjoy his game while we can.

I can't wait to see him play for us.

We need silverware to keep our top quality players. Hopefully he will deliver for us

nikz200

Look im all for being negative on a transfer. But frankly its hard to be negative about this one. We have been crying out for another winger to add pace on this team and not shelve the burden on Mane and i think Salah is pretty decent at that. He was 21 last time he was in england and we know the chelsea style of play caters to only certain types of players. Look at Kevin Debruyne and Lukkaku who were stifled there. Other than that, he was a sucess in switzerland, he was a sucess at fiorentina and at Roma he was a sucess and Roma play a very expansive style of football with a formation similar to ours. And its not like Salah is 28 plus years of age where we have to wonder if he can still learn how to play in a new system. I would say he is at the perfect age to learn a new style of play.

Sturridge and Coutinho made their names playing for us , before that they were 'potential talents' that either of their big clubs would take a chance on. Coutinho struggled in the Serie A and La Liga before finding his footing with us, alot of us at the time questioned if those two players , i would argue that both have come good. So lets just wait a game before we get all negative and be happy we have a UCL experienced player with requisite talents we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.