Moses Simon (LW/RW) Gent

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpTheReds

Great. Competing with Brighton for a 23 year old. Guess I was overshooting with Everton.

"Liverpool will doubtless be the most attractive proposition for Simon but they are not the only Premier League club in for the young Nigerian.

While Brighton and Newcastle aren’t as glamorous as destinations, the 22-year-old would get more football with either of those sides and that could be a factor if they meet Gent’s asking price."

UpTheReds

Would rather spend £30m and get Malcom.
Rodrygo is the Brazilian I want. He couldn't come over now but it doesn't really matter. Santos won't sell him to Barca because they still owe them money on Neymar. Perfect time to swoop in.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Neither is this other guy from the look of it. Fortunately I don't think there's anything in this. Where was the Echo on Fabinho?
Yeah, that's not how these things work. Just because one transfer was kept in the dark doesn't mean they all are, the echo have reported many transfers before they have happened in the past. That said, I don't remember Ian Doyle breaking any of them.

I think the club have done well enough on recruitment in the last few years for us not to lose our shit when an 'underwhelming' link comes up.

LFCFFC

Interesting. Would be decent squad depth and at that price, wouldn't impact any of our other signings. Definitely not worth getting too stressed over in any case as there's still plenty of doubt over this eventuating.

I'm also very much in the camp of putting faith in our scouts, who have done a very good job in recent times. If they see something in him, why not?

UpTheReds

Interesting. Would be decent squad depth and at that price, wouldn't impact any of our other signings. Definitely not worth getting too stressed over in any case as there's still plenty of doubt over this eventuating.

I'm also very much in the camp of putting faith in our scouts, who have done a very good job in recent times. If they see something in him, why not?
Because wave bye bye to Harry Wilson in that case is why not. And for probably an inferior player. Belgian league is garbage and if he can't score even double figures in goals in it one time, I can't see on what basis the club could possibly invest.

This would be worse than the Assaidi signing. At least he managed 10 goals in a season in a better league, and the club was in worse position then. There's no excuse for it now with the club where it is, especially since we literally just saw the effect that not having a game changer on the bench to call on when you need to can have.

I'm going to continue to think that the people in charge of transfers at Liverpool are smarter than this until they prove otherwise haha.

Rodrygo is probably better this guy right now, today. And he can't even leave Brazil yet.

Last edited:

King Kev

Looks a strange one. Especially when Awoniyi, much younger than Moses, has been doing better during the second half of the season in that league, but is only set for another loan spell.

However, the club has been recruiting very well since a couple of seasons. So, I trust them to get it right.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Bit confused, if true the club must surely know something the rest of us don't. On the surface it seems like very much an emergency, squad depth, option. The question would then be "why not Wilson?"!

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Bit confused, if true the club must surely know something the rest of us don't. On the surface it seems like very much an emergency, squad depth, option. The question would then be "why not Wilson?"!
Maybe the league, goals and assists are not so important to become a Klopp target. Maybe Klopp is looking at other statistics (not sure which ones it could be tbh) and he sees something in his movement. Or maybe it's a character thing and Klopp was looking for a player with Klavan mentality (happy to be at the club even if he will be on bench all the time).

We weren't very lucky with the draws in the domestic cups in the last two years (mostly PL opponents). If this happens again this season Moses Simon is alrady destined to be our next 'forgotten man' come january.

His signing would surely mean the end of Harry Wilsons Liverpool career and it would also mean that we are very confident that Fekir will sign.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Because wave bye bye to Harry Wilson in that case is why not. And for probably an inferior player. Belgian league is garbage and if he can't score even double figures in goals in it one time, I can't see on what basis the club could possibly invest.

This would be worse than the Assaidi signing. At least he managed 10 goals in a season in a better league, and the club was in worse position then. There's no excuse for it now with the club where it is, especially since we literally just saw the effect that not having a game changer on the bench to call on when you need to can have.

I'm going to continue to think that the people in charge of transfers at Liverpool are smarter than this until they prove otherwise haha.

Rodrygo is probably better this guy right now, today. And he can't even leave Brazil yet.
Wow, and I thought my wife enjoyed a continuous whinge. :yawn:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
He looks ok. Makes sense if klopp is looking at buying two wingers as back up/rotation.
Having Moses, origi and Dembele/pulisic as back up is already an improvement.

Does make me wonder if Kent/Wilson and even woodburn have a chance. Maybe klopp doesn’t rate them. I’d have taken any of them as a substitute option last season.

GermanRed

He looks ok. Makes sense if klopp is looking at buying two wingers as back up/rotation.
Having Moses, origi and Dembele/pulisic as back up is already an improvement.

Does make me wonder if Kent/Wilson and even woodburn have a chance. Maybe klopp doesn’t rate them. I’d have taken any of them as a substitute option last season.
Fekir + Simon - nothing more than that for attack.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
There were strong suggestions right at the end of the season that Wilson would go out on loan again, which personally I hoped were untrue. However, if we really are looking at players such as this for rotation options, I can't see any other possibility. Trying to be positive, perhaps Klopp feels after another good loan playing regularly (which he won't get here) Wilson will be ready, while in the meantime Simon will have either shown he deserves a place or can be moved on to make way for Wilson reasonably easily for a fairly low price.

I'd like to also note that it feels really weird calling him Simon :think:

YeGra

Great, then let's sign Goduine Koyalipou out of Ligue 2 and hope he's the new Naby Keita/Riyad Mahrez talent there. Save about 9.5 million simoleons there, if not more.

Thinking you can sign a guy just to fill out the squad is how you end up with poor squad players. Liverpool did that for a decade or more.

If Liverpool is serious about trying to compete at the top of the sport, they don't sign guys like this. Look at Real Madrid's bench, that's what you want. This isn't what gets you there.
You exaggerate the proportions of someone's argument, you can make anything sound ridiculous. By that I mean, there's a big difference between signing Moses Simon and a player from Ligue 2.

Let me state my stance on this one: I am not excited by this transfer because I don't even know the guy. But if professionals who get paid to recognise talent think Simon is an up and coming talent, I am in no position to give a rational argument other than "I don't like it".

I trust in the work they do, and if Simon doesn't work out, I will then question their wisdom. But so far our transfers recently have given me faith in our ability. It wasn't like several years ago where our transfer window was effectively sign several Simons.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Sign all the Africans! Joking aside, it's great that AFCON has been moved to summer and that club can now take advantage of that. I'm pretty sure that Liverpool have previously been linked with Simon, that club's scouts have been following him intensively. I have to admit that I'm a bit underwhelmed having expected a more established name (yes, someone like Bailey would have cost a bomb but I felt he would have fit Liverpool like a glove). We can't expect every cheap transfer to turn out like Robertson (see Karius or Matip, for example).

That said, if reports are anything to go by, he's lightning quick, a good dribbler and has the right mentality. It's a good basis and he has Mane and Salah to learn from if he really wants to. Whether he can become a top player one day, it's too early to say. It seems like Liverpool want to cut out the middle man this time, there are quite a few players who have passed through Belgian league and took Europe by storm!

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
IF, and it's still a massive IF at the moment, we sign this guy it will be because the scouts have done their job, the comittee and done their job and Klopp has signed off on it all.

If this comes at the expense of Wilson, then it implies that Wilson has been deemed not good enough or has asked to go on loan again, or Klopp thinks he should go on loan again, or whatever.

They're not bloody stupid and just because we've targetted a player that basically nobody has heard of, doesn't automatically mean it's a shit move.

GermanRed

IF, and it's still a massive IF at the moment, we sign this guy it will be because the scouts have done their job, the comittee and done their job and Klopp has signed off on it all.

If this comes at the expense of Wilson, then it implies that Wilson has been deemed not good enough or has asked to go on loan again, or Klopp thinks he should go on loan again, or whatever.

They're not bloody stupid and just because we've targetted a player that basically nobody has heard of, doesn't automatically mean it's a shit move.
Or maybe Klopp would be more than happy if we can get ₤20m (maybe even more) for Wilson.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Or maybe Klopp would be more than happy if we can get ₤20m (maybe even more) for Wilson.
Maybe. Either way they'll be doing what they think is best. It makes the most sense to keep Wilson (club trained, home grown) but if we don't........well that speaks volumes.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
With these links, I have absolutely nothing to say and I will not blidnly say "Klopp must be right, sign him" (nobody has a 100% positive record with signings, it's simply impossible). Heard of him only recently when I was reading an article on Nigeria's team and likely tactics for Russia. I see he's another one who can apparently play on both wings and is two footed (depends how much)?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
While his goal output isn't as good, it's likely that if we are truly interested in Simon, then we're hoping he can make the same kind of progression as Mane. Goals scored aside, at the age Simon is now Mane was just finishing a season in the Austrian league and making his move to the PL... how many times since have we as fans said we should be signing the Salzburg version of Mane rather than the Southampton version - ie spotting their potential just before their big break.

That approach has risks (like Origi, if the player doesn't make the expected progress) but if you already have such strong first-team options then perhaps it's worth trying as the potential upside is high.

As for how it affects Wilson, I guess the main thing is that while he had a very good half-season in the Championship, that's what it was - a half-season in a lower league. Klopp is best placed to judge if he's ready to make the step up or needs more time in the oven as it were, so happy to trust him on that count.

Ron Swanson

If Klopp wants him I am fine with that the downbeatness when we signed a young Scottish LB named Robertson and look how he turned out. £10m in today's money is like £4.50 a bag of wotsits and a I.O.U for one back rub so well worth the gamble. Sturridge. Ings, Original and Lallana will more likely be moved on this summer so we need more depth in attack options getting this lad doesn't actually mean we are now not going to go for another attacking option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.