• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Arsenal (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Martin Skrtel

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • Kolo Toure

• Aly Cissokho

• Steven Gerrard

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Jordan Henderson

• Raheem Sterling

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Daniel Sturridge

• Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Joe Allen (for Sturridge 66')

• Jordan Ibe (for Gerrard 76')

• Total voters

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Everyone one the players played so well, even cissokho was great.
Gave it Sterling, just for the fact that so young and he just tormented them from the start.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Coutinho for me.

He might not have been the best player on the park, but love IS blind you know.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Another vote for Coutinho, and an almost perfect display of counter attacking link play. The pass for Sturridge was the ball of the season. He absolutely ran a midfield we were all sure we'd get overrun in.

Sterling was brilliant, but I couldn't not think about his incredible wastefulness in front of goal. If he can sort his composure, we're going to have the complete forward.

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
Mascot88 said:
The pass for Sturridge was the ball of the season.
It wasn't just the pass, though. He was the one who won the ball in the first place on the edge of our own area, carried it forward (almost Gerrard-esque, there) and then made the all-new "that pass". And lest not forget that win-back, shimmy, carry through the middle and ball to Henderson (that he should have done better with).

Just a virtuoso performance from a guy in an area of the park we've all been very, very, very worried about.

Clive

Raheem for me. Tough choice. We could well have Gerrard, Hendo, sterling and Sturridge starting for England in Brazil!

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
I gave it to Skrtel cos he scored the first two which really set us on our way. They were the most crucial moments in the game. To be two up so early was unreal and have us the momentum to go on and batter them. A centre back bagging a brace against the lead leaders deserves the nod in my opinion.

Sterling a close second he was incredible. Coutinho comes in third he was lethal as well his through balls are straight out of ea sports demo clip haha.

Just shows that we aren't that dependent on sas as good as they are. We have others who can raise their game.

Ynwa, still buzzing!!!

yiannos33

Believe
So many choices. I have to say Skrtel. Solid in defense, but the 2 goals put him on top for me.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Clive said:
Raheem for me. Tough choice. We could well have Gerrard, Hendo, sterling and Sturridge starting for England in Brazil!
Odd thing is with the talent that England have with a decent coach who plays a passing attack way England might be good, shame Roy's in charge.

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
Skrtel's contribution in the first ten minutes created the launch pad for the game. He was immense all game really so just pips Sterling for me

Verbal80

Mascot88 said:
Another vote for Coutinho, and an almost perfect display of counter attacking link play. The pass for Sturridge was the ball of the season.
If Henderson has scored his chance when Phil dribbled past four Gooners then played him in, THAT would've been the pass of the season.

Though the Sturridgd one was awesome

Redaido

TIA Youth Team
Coutinho for me. What impressed me most was his ability to break up play by intercepting passes and relentless harrying of the Arsenal midfield, a side to his game which has improved hugly recently since his position has been centralised.

Would love to see his get a goal against fulham, think it would set him off on a scoring streak and maybe even get him into the Brazilian Squad for the World Cup.

Like many posters' have mentioned the whole team deserves a prize after that performance.

The important thing now is to approach the Fulham game in the same way and steam roll them in the first half !

snape

TIA Youth Team
Choosing a MOTM from a match like this must constitute cruel and unusual punishment. It's like having to tell your children which of them you love the most.

The only way to properly do this is to tell each of them privately that they are the one.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
I will go for Skrtel as he got 2 goals and defended well against a good attack.
I will not go for Raheem as he could have passed the ball a couple of times and we would have got more goals.Henderson and Suarez were both unmarked and he shot and missed.I know he wanted a hat trick but it is important to make the right decisions as to shooting or passing.

KraznyIvan

Voted coutinho but skrtel deserves it as well. Sterling was great but a little profligate. Suarez so deserved a goal. BR better tell everyone to give him the ball against Fulham as I dont want his confidence dented.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
KraznyIvan said:
Voted coutinho but skrtel deserves it as well. Sterling was great but a little profligate. Suarez so deserved a goal. BR better tell everyone to give him the ball against Fulham as I dont want his confidence dented.
Haha a low confidence Suarez doesn't exist, he's one of those players that always believes they can do everything, luckily he can :)

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
ubermick said:
While Skrtel was good, and two goals are a nice haul from a centre back, and Sterling was excellent, I gave it to Coutinho. Sterling did what you would expect of a player in his position, as did Skrtel, but Coutinho was given a different brief - he's a number 10, he's supposed to lurk just behind the forwards, swagger about the pitch in the opposition half, but today he was more of a box to box midfielder, and had an absolutely perfect blend of work rate and creativity. Was going gaga over him in the derby and thought that was his best performance in a Liverpool jersey, but this eclipsed it today. Was just magnificent.
What he said.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Gave to Cou too. Without his workrate i feel the midfield would have not been as effective. And what he did/does with the ball gives me a semi.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
If I was of the "everybody wins, praise the one who tried the hardest but wasn't the best" persuasion, Hendo by a country mile. He was the embodiment of a midfield engine room. Energy, agression, power, pace and touch. He was an absolute terrier all match and didn't let them settle for a second. A* for effort and all round play.

Sterling gets my vote though, he turned the game into a thrashing with Skrt a very close second. Honourable mentions for pretty much the whole squad.

As a side note, if we'd signed either of the players we chased in the window, Sterling might not have been on the pitch. Every cloud, my friends, has a sterling silver ligning :)

The Eternal Optimist

TIA Youth Team
Luiz for me - he was out of his normal position given a task for the day and I thought he was spot on in attitude, commitment and performance.

kwala

TIA Regular
Has to be coutinho for me. I just love watching him play. His ability to link the play and be that transition to attack just elevates us to a new level. Vison, passing, dribbling, retaining possesion he has always had in buckets, he is now adding a real work ethic into his game, tracking back, closing down, and winningback possesion, and is then the fulcrum for our rapid counter attacks. When he starts adding goals consistently, he eill be a world beater!

Worth the enterance fee all on his own.

WrongIslander

Sterling. Deserves it, Arsenal had no answer to him and unlucky not get his hat trick.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
The Eternal Optimist said:
Luiz for me - he was out of his normal position given a task for the day and I thought he was spot on in attitude, commitment and performance.
Chelsea game? Wrong thread haha

Elta

TIA New Signing
As others have mentioned, it is a very tough call. I ended up with Coutinho, just ahead of Sterling. The reson being the agressive pressing, passing and attacking play he showed. It put Arsenal on the back foot throughout the blitz twenty minutes. It was his game, that the rest was built upon.

Honourable mentions to Sterling, Suarez, Skrtel, Gerrard, Flanagan, Henderson and Sturridge. One could probably make the case for having ten players in here :))

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Skrtel for me, he was immense, bagged the first 2 goals setting us on our way, the second was a fabulous header, Hyypia would have been proud of that one, the guy is playing like a captain.

LiVeRp0oL89

Voted for Sterling but i'd give it to 3 or 4 if I could. Incredible performance.

We had a plan and we executed it perfectly. There was a moment at around the 15 minute mark where Jack will rushed back to deflect a cross out for a corner. Aside from the fact he was screaming at the defence to get it together, his face pretty much summed up his team at the time.. stunned. We we're relentless and had Arsenal on the ropes in the first round, they had no answer.

We know the class of the SAS but it really is brilliant, and important at this stage of the season, to see the likes of Sterling, Coutinho and Henderson performing at their current level. These guys are the ones who will make that extra difference for the top 4 and long may it continue.. Or for 13 more games specifically ;)

cw37

Got to give it Skrtel. 2 Goals for a defender. That alone sways me into saying him.