• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

MOTM vs Aston Villa (A)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Glen Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kolo Toure

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • Daniel Agger

• Jose Enrique

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Lucas Leiva

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Philippe Coutinho

• Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Iago Aspas

• Aly Cissokho

• Joe Allen

• Total voters

LFC7NH

Feel free to comment on who you picked and why, but keep all match discussion to the post match thread.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I've gone for Studge due to his worldclass goal and chasing back at the end of the game.

Could quite easily have awarded my vote to Gerrard or Toure. Gerrards performance was his coming of age in that deeper role, seemed like it's clicked with him, he made so many contributions defensively - really was a pleasure to watch. It's a shame he can't still play further up the pitch but he was class yesterday, showing Lucas how it's done...

Herb

Voted for Toure as he covered well for Agger on a few occasions, handled Benteke well and was the first CB we've had since Sami who actually headed the ball away.

JackleCube

Gerrard, thought he did a better job of shielding the back four than Lucas, even though that is Lucas' predominant role; a real selfless performance.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Mignolet for me. Even though he didn't have to save a pen, but he did enough to keep us at bay in the second half and tail end of first half. We retreat and we are testing him quite a bit yesterday.

fcukManU

still a dani pacheco stan
Sturridge for the goal, work rate/effort in the match, and the attitude in the post-match interview. Very pleased with Daniel.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Picked Sturridge.His goal was excellent but as the game wore on his work rate defensively helped us no end.Toure and Gerrard had an excellent game as well.

LiVeRp0oL89

@LFC7NH

Like these MOTM polls you do!

Have you thought of keeping a record of the total number of votes every player gets this season.. Maybe split them according to which competition the game was played in..? Could add up who wins the most polls as well.

Would be interesting to know come the end of the season :D

Colin

TIA First Team
Who are these people picking Mignolet?

We LFc fans are sometimes accused of using emotion to cloud our judgement

How in the hell is Mignolet the MOTM here?

He made a good save against Benteke. He was solid, although he does flap at crosses which is concerning.

He wasn't the MOTM, ridiculous chat.

YNWAGerrard

I was in two minds between Gerrard and Sturridge. Wish I could've picked both. But ultimately I've gone for Gerrard. He set an example for the team and made some important interceptions!

Defuz

Toure got my nod for being the rock in the back. He was a great force there and I love his presence in opposing penalty areas for corners and set plays. Sturrdige was close as he naturally had the match winner again and for his defense to wind the game down for us, but Toure, from start to finish was the picture of consistency and dependability. Priceless.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Toure for me. Much needed intensity at the back. Truthfully walked the line at times but it is good to see that threatening aerial presence. Just might turn out to be one of the better BR purchases.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Sturridge because of a world-class finish and all-round work rate. Toure a close second. He is showing the importance of having experience in the side. Led by example throughout.

WrongIslander

Toure, Sturridge, Toure, Sturridge, Toure

Sturridge. Took his goal brilliantly, showed real hunger and was willing to work for the team out of position.

Toure a very close second.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I went for Toure though it could have been Sturridge or even Mignolet all 3 were vital in us getting the win yesterday and without one of them we may have lost.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Colin said:

(...)
I am one of them. Especially his save from a shot from Benteke at the end of the first half, which really came out of the blue after we had dominated them to the hilt, was fantastic.

You can recognize really good goalkeepers when they have had to do next to nothing during a part of the match, but then suddenly pull out a great save when needed. That was it, he kept us in the game at that moment, and during the second half, continued to be there when needed.

Great match from the lad, and certainly deserves some posters giving him the MOTM.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Voted Toure. Thought he was absolutely brilliant in keeping Benteke as quiet as he did. Is proving a brilliant bit of business

While I think we still another powerful CB I think Kolo is going to be hard to drop if we do get one.

Dos07

TIA Regular
I've gone for Kolo. A bit rash at times but keeping Benteke scoreless will do for me.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Colin said:

We LFc fans are sometimes accused of using emotion to cloud our judgement

How in the hell is Mignolet the MOTM here?

He made a good save against Benteke. He was solid, although he does flap at crosses which is concerning.

He wasn't the MOTM, ridiculous chat.
Could be because of the 2 outstanding saves he pulled off from Benteke? How are they any different than 2 goals being scored in a 2-1 win?

YNWAGerrard

NZred said:
Could be because of the 2 outstanding saves he pulled off from Benteke? How are they any different than 2 goals being scored in a 2-1 win?
Not taking his side but I could see Reina making them saves on one of his better days :p

NZred

The Red From NZ
YNWAGerrard said:
Not taking his side but I could see Reina making them saves on one of his better days :p
One thing that used to frustrate me about Reina was his constant inability to cover his near post. Too often he got beaten. I am of the opinion Reina wouldn't have kept out that Benteke effort near the end for this very reason.

LFC7NH

LiVeRp0oL89 said:
@LFC7NH

Like these MOTM polls you do!

Have you thought of keeping a record of the total number of votes every player gets this season.. Maybe split them according to which competition the game was played in..? Could add up who wins the most polls as well.

Would be interesting to know come the end of the season :D
I'm keeping track of the votes and once I can come up with a good way to post the results I'll try updating the list after each match.

I was thinking of possibly doing a points tally, 3 points for whoever gets the most votes, 2 for second and 1 for third. Or maybe it would be better to just keep track of overall votes?

Any suggestions?

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Gerrard really stood out for me with vital blocks and headers, protecting the back four with honor!

Migno Man was worthy of a nod too, as was Sturridge with an excellent goal.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
As much as I am a fan of Lucas especially of his character and resilience, I am curious who is the one who voted him MOTM for this match :D :lol:

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Went for Sturridge, world class finish.

Though Glen Johnson was poor at times.