• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Cardiff City (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glen Johnson

• Martin Skrtel

• Mamadou Sakho

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Lucas Leiva

• Joe Allen

• Raheem Sterling

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Philippe Coutinho

• Luis Suarez

Votes: 86 72.3%
  • Martin Kelly (for Flanagan 55')

• Daniel Agger (for Coutinho 83')

• Total voters
Personally I don't like giving sympathy votes and try to judge players on how well they actually perform vs how well they performed above our expectations of them. In that respect no one came close to Suarez today.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
liverpool_singh said:
Personally I don't like giving sympathy votes and try to judge players on how well they actually perform vs how well they performed above our expectations of them. In that respect no one came close to Suarez today.
Aye, Henderson, Sterling, Allen et al have all been getting votes recently but it's obvious that Suarez is the main reason we're winning matches. No matter how well any of the above play they still don't come close to his level, he's on another planet.

Being completely objective, he's been our best player for almost every single game he's been involved in this season.

Defuz

Luis. He's a marvel to watch at the peak of his powers. Raheem starting to look more promising and draw more attention. Flannagan make s me say Enrique who, and Hendo is rising to the occasion. Looking forward tremendously to the Man City game.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
The positive discriminationists will always look to share the votes about as the same person can't win every week as it's "unfair". Well balls to that, Luis by a country mile again.

Rooster

What a hit son
Positive discrimination? What rot.

There was a case for Hendo and Sterling.

dxb_red

ILLOK said:
Aye, Henderson, Sterling, Allen et al have all been getting votes recently but it's obvious that Suarez is the main reason we're winning matches. No matter how well any of the above play they still don't come close to his level, he's on another planet.

Being completely objective, he's been our best player for almost every single game he's been involved in this season.
i think thats very unfair on Henderson...he's been magnificent recently, completed 92% of his passes on Sat and he played a massive part in all 3 goals...yes, Suarez scored 2, but it was Hendo that put the ball on a plate for Luis to bury it...it was a man of the match performance, so to disregard him and suggest that he is not deserving of even a mention is wrong...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
dxb_red said:
i think thats very unfair on Henderson...he's been magnificent recently, completed 92% of his passes on Sat and he played a massive part in all 3 goals...yes, Suarez scored 2, but it was Hendo that put the ball on a plate for Luis to bury it...it was a man of the match performance, so to disregard him and suggest that he is not deserving of even a mention is wrong...
It is not exactly on the plate, the first goal still needs a good connection to the ball and Suarez finishing was top notch. It's not as if it was a tap in ala Sterling. The second was a back heel which Suarez still let's it run across, dragged to his right a bit before hitting his superb curler past the keeper. Again not ball on plate. It was an assist nonetheless, but try not take away credit from Suarez finishing.

Nobody disregard Henderson's and Sterling's contribution. But everyone who voted for Suarez believe that without Suarez in such form we would not have won the game. Hence the man of the match vote is so lopsided.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
dxb_red said:
In the last 2 games Henderson has been magnificent, you're right (wasn't before that).

In those two games Suarez has 4 goals 3 assists and has generally been outstanding. It isn't unfair on Henderson to say he hasn't been as good as Suarez at all, Suarez is the most inform player in world football at the minute.

dxb_red

ILLOK said:
In the last 2 games Henderson has been magnificent, you're right (wasn't before that).

In those two games Suarez has 4 goals 3 assists and has generally been outstanding. It isn't unfair on Henderson to say he hasn't been as good as Suarez at all, Suarez is the most inform player in world football at the minute.
Yeh i totally agree that Suarez's form over the past 10 games has been other worldly, but i didnt actually think the Cardiff match was one of his best...he took his goals superbly, and unselfishly set up Sterling, but he also played a lot of stray passes and lost possession a fair few times...his pass accuracy was 73% and his completed 'take on' rate was 1/10...he had 3 moments of brilliance, where as Hendo played well throughout and was involved in all 3 goals...

again, please dont take this as me having a dig at Suarez...he is phenomenal, and his goals on Sat were world class...but some people are suggesting that his performance was head and shoulders above Henderson's and i dont think thats the case...

dxb_red

lfc.eddie said:
It is not exactly on the plate, the first goal still needs a good connection to the ball and Suarez finishing was top notch. It's not as if it was a tap in ala Sterling. The second was a back heel which Suarez still let's it run across, dragged to his right a bit before hitting his superb curler past the keeper. Again not ball on plate. It was an assist nonetheless, but try not take away credit from Suarez finishing.

Nobody disregard Henderson's and Sterling's contribution. But everyone who voted for Suarez believe that without Suarez in such form we would not have won the game. Hence the man of the match vote is so lopsided.
apologies if it appeared that I was taking away credit from Suarez, that wasn't my intention...they were absolutely 2 world class finishes...but with regards to your comment that we may not have won if Suarez wasnt in such fine form, I think the same could be said for Henderson...his movement, passing and pressing in center of the park has been vital for us in the last few games, and had he not stepped up his game in stevie's absence, i think we would have really struggled...

Dos07

TIA Regular
Suarez for me.
Simple, we wouldn't have won without him.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Rooster said:
Positive discrimination? What rot.

There was a case for Hendo and Sterling.
Let's agree to disagree. Suarez had put in MOTM performances in the past 3 games by a margin of about 19.4 billion miles. Yes, Hendo and Sterling have been very good but not a patch in Luis.

dxb_red

ptt said:
Let's agree to disagree. Suarez had put in MOTM performances in the past 3 games by a margin of about 19.4 billion miles. Yes, Hendo and Sterling have been very good but not a patch in Luis.
Hendo has 1 goal and 3 assists in his last 2 games...and actually, if you watch the highlights of the last 2 games, he was heavily involved in 6 of the 8 goals we've scored...against tottenham, he set up suarez for the first, scored the second and played the backheel to suarez that led to the third...against cardiff he set up the 1st, played a beautiful ball that led to the 2nd and set up the 3rd...on top of that, he's helped out defensively and dominated the midfield in both matches...so to say that he is '19.4 billion miles away' and 'not a patch' on Luis is wrong...Luis has been in sensational form this whole season, but in the last 2 games, Hendo has given him a run for his money...

WrongIslander

I'd say you could chose Henderson or Suarez and you wouldn't be wrong.

Yes Suarez is on another planet but Henderson lately isn't far behind at all and in this game against such a hardworking midfield as Cardiff's to play as Henderson did was another marker that he's going to be a world class player sooner rather than later.

The only thing that gives it slightly to Suarez for me (and it is close) was that third goal. Henderson was brilliant but Suarez did something breath taking as well as being brilliant and that just shades it.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Suarez for me but in terms of stepping up when needed Hendo also in with a shout. Super performances from Luis are almost the norm but the increase in Jordan's productivity and contribution is massive. This is a kid who was almost given to Fulham to get Dempsey a little over a year ago and now he looks like justifying the fee that was paid for him. He looks like he is playing with confidence and has the shackles off now that Stevie is not in the side. His range of passing yesterday was almost Gerrard like and his tireless running is of huge value.

spizfromoz

First time I've voted for Luis. (I don't always get around to voting). The thing is, he's not scored a rubbish tap in yet, has he? His movement, his generosity in getting others involved has put him at another level. This time last season, doubt he'd given Henderson the time of day up forward let alone a goal scoring chance. When he arrived, he terrorised opposition defenders and created chances for others mostly. Then he was our one striker scoring loads of goals. Now he's both with a more settled and balanced attacking combination. Awesome and he's still all ours.