• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Everton (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Martin Skrtel

• Kolo Toure

• Aly Cissokho

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 64 53.3%
  • Jordan Henderson

• Raheem Sterling

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

LFC7NH

Went with Sturridge... his two goals were taken fantastically and put it out of Everton's reach.

That being said, you could make an argument for Suarez, Sterling, Stevie, Coutinho, Flanno, Hendo, Kolo, Skrtel, Aly and Mignolet.... ;)

Current MOTM Table:

Points column = 5 points for most votes in a match, 3 points for second most votes in a match, 1 point for third most votes in a match
Total votes = Total number of man of the match votes received

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Not even difficult...some great performances but Gerrard is really growing into his new role and a goal to cap it

Coutinho (much improved)
Sturridge (looks like he's gaining form)
Suarez (every game!)

All bodes well for the finale of the season, we can do this :)

RedSeven

On the one road
So many players had a good game but gave it to the captain.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Flaninho was impressive as was Coutinho, Hendo, Skrtel and Sturridge but my vote has to go to the captain, thought he was marvellous, plenty of life in my favourite ever LFC player still. We keep saying our midfield is weak, is it? We bossed Spurs, now Everton with injuries. We are very close to really challenging i think.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Dan Sturridge, just for that over the shoulder lob. Sheer class.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
Stevie was the MOTM for me...clearly Sturridge is in the discussion...but considering how well Stevie played in a relatively new position gives him the edge.

He shut down a lot of Everton's possession, blocked several shots and intercepted many passes. His work rate ahead of the CBs made their work easy and allowed the team to maintain the clean sheet.

All that combined makes him MOTM-worthy in my view.

Bobbinho

Without a doubt Stevie gets this, a Masterclass of a performance, inspirational, IMO was the driving force behind the result, great team performance as well, but Gerrard was boss for sure.

RMP

TIA First Team
Steven Gerrard for me please, I really don't understand why some aren't pleased with his form this season

yiannos33

Believe
If there was a team on the voting I would of voted for team.
Superb performance from everyone.
Gave it to captain fantastic, but any of the starting 11 will do.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
For a guy that has been shit on all year regardless of giving all he has had, Aly gets my vote. Clean sheet and shut thae door on that Mirallas bastard all day long

we scored 4, they got fuck all. Did his role to a job and he deserves some plaudit

I just used the word plaudit. Give me a MOTM too for shits and giggles.

YMWA my friends

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Gerrard for me, considering it was the derby, considering he is trying to master a new position, considering his goal, considering him letting Sturridge take a pen as well. The mans a legend. He takes flak, sometimes deserved, sometimes over the top but he keeps remind us what a player he is, even at 33.

RedorDeadFamilia

I went with Dani...the FLICK!!! It was priceless to see Howard's face after it went in....GET IN THERE!!!!!

Canuck33

Banned Users
Semmy said:
look no further. He earned his stripes today, deserves just rewards
Sorry, just noticed that. How could I've missed that? Speaking of stripes, do they have those on return tickets?

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Canuck33 said:
Sorry, just noticed that. How could I've missed that? Speaking of stripes, do they have those on return tickets?
I am sure that any ticket has stripes on it, just unsure when it expires. Consider how long our FB shortage will last, I am okay with April if we don't buy in Jan(which I hope they do)

Canuck33

Banned Users
Semmy said:
I am sure that any ticket has stripes on it, just unsure when it expires. Consider how long our FB shortage will last, I am okay with April if we don't buy in Jan(which I hope they do)
Sorry, pal. Cissokho's return ticket should expire at the end of this month, and we should not be liabe for the fare. He stank today just as bad as he stank in his last outing. Go on, give him your vote. Just hold your nose.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
I went with Sturridge on the two goals, but I easily could have gone with either Gerrard or Coutinho. Our midfield was stupendous today. What a great, glorious match.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Canuck33 said:
Sorry, pal. Cissokho's return ticket should expire at the end of this month, and we should not be liabe for the fare. He stank today just as bad as he stank in his last outing. Go on, give him your vote. Just hold your nose.
to each their own. Who ya gonna play this weekend when we don't sign any FB.

people can shit on him every match, but I reckon you gotta build a player who is struggling. He is a loanee replacement and will never be a regular startingXI, but we have NO ALTERNATE right now so I am glad he is here and will give him due commendation when he earns it.

If you'd rather send him back to Valencia tomorrow and take your chances, go ahead. I will pass on that idea, and thank him for a game well played today which could be a huge result for our season.

But I digress, just a drunk footballer who doesn't know shit. Carry on with your bad self. Let me know how it works for you when you ship Aly back "at end of month" and have to field a team on the weekend.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Semmy said:
to each their own. Who ya gonna play this weekend when we don't sign any FB.

people can shit on him every match, but I reckon you gotta build a player who is struggling. He is a loanee replacement and will never be a regular startingXI, but we have NO ALTERNATE right now so I am glad he is here and will give him due commendation when he earns it.

If you'd rather send him back to Valencia tomorrow and take your chances, go ahead. I will pass on that idea, and thank him for a game well played today which could be a huge result for our season.

But I digress, just a drunk footballer who doesn't know shit. Carry on with your bad self. Let me know how it works for you when you ship Aly back "at end of month" and have to field a team on the weekend.
I liked your post for all comments until the last paragraph. When you have a good contribution, leave it at that, let the nonsense fall to the bottom on its own.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Upstate_Chad said:
I liked your post for all comments until the last paragraph. When you have a good contribution, leave it at that, let the nonsense fall to the bottom on its own.
sorry, I let him get under my skin. Too much celebratory post-match enjoyment.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Skrtel had a very good game. The midfield two were very very steadying. I would have given it to Sterling had he finished with more composure on his chance. And for that reason, Sturridge just edged him out for this one. Clinical and composed. Sterling has improved so so much, the fact that I think he has more impact on this game than Suarez did, who by all standards were excellent too, shows how much Sterling has improved. I think he is laying a big claim in the first team picture from now on. It will be hard to drop him too regularly.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Sturridge was fantastic in the first half. Probably our best player in the first half. Second half not so much. Especially considering how his penalty miss cost me fantasy points, I am going to give my MOTM to Stevie who bossed the game from start to finish. He looked up for it today and Mada was right in saying that his job in front of the back 4 made their jobs much easier. His positioning, his last ditch tackling, his leadership, and composure on the ball. All outstanding. The question is whether or not he can keep up these sort of performances as a DM when it isn't the Derby. Nevertheless, the outright MOTM for me. But I could understand why others would give it to Sturridge or Coutinho. Heck pretty much everyone played well today. Even the much aligned Cissokho and Mignolet (as of late) did very well in defense.

bes

Stevie had an amazing game but I gave it to Daniel, his work rate while playing LB/LW was brilliant.

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Semmy said:
For a guy that has been shit on all year regardless of giving all he has had, Aly gets my vote. Clean sheet and shut thae door on that Mirallas bastard all day long
we scored 4, they got fuck all. Did his role to a job and he deserves some plaudit
I just used the word plaudit. Give me a MOTM too for shits and giggles.
YMWA my friends
What a load of crap, this post and cissokho. I've watched the game twice and I'm sorry mate but he was terrible, just like the last two games. The bottling two challenges higher up the pitch first half, the lazy attempts at challenges, the piss poor passes, if we weren't so good as a team his complete inability to resemble a professional footballer should have stank up the ground once more. What a lump.

Motm has to be Stevie, Daniel can't get it for the way he forgot to include his team mates in search of a third and personal glory and finishing the toffees for good and what a stupid penalty but his all round play was awesome and amazing finishes and I feel a little dirty saying anything negative after that game.

Anyone that says Gerard can't play dm, give him a few games anywhere but goalie and he's that good he can give you a solid performance most weeks, today was world class. He'd be a better choice at rb than Johnson this season, IMO.

OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty said:
Some statistics and thoughts on our players during the match:

Mignolet: Four saves. Four very, very good saves. Shots that would have gone in against any lesser keeper. One could perhaps gripe that he doesn't do a great job of saving the ball and getting it out of danger areas, but the fact of the matter is he's very, very good at shot stopping.

Flanagan: I keep thinking we'll eventually see him get exposed for his lack of top-class quality. And each time he proves me wrong. He's brilliant; he mightn't have had the most impressive game but he seems to play like a player with multitudes more experience than he actually has. Decent game from him but to me the best part was the pure, beautiful potential that he's showing. He can be great if he plays like that consistently. One tackle, two interceptions and four clearances doesn't really show how good he seemed tonight.

Skrtel: Fucking immense. Two tackles, three interceptions, won every one of his aerial duels, and had twelve clearances. His passing was crisp. 9.5/10, excellent game.

Toure: Not as good as Skrtel, but that's damn near impossible. Still managed to win 80% of his aerial duels (very impressive) and provided the assist for Sturridge's wondergoal.

Cissokho: Looked a bit like the player from Porto tonight. Defensively solid, nowhere near as sluggish as he's been. If he can replicate that performance (I have my doubts) he'll be worth his wages. Did manage three tackles, but still looks shit in attack.

Gerrard: I've been one of the vocal supporters of Gerrard in the 1 role in a 1-2 midfield. I think he's got the vision, the passing, and the defensive ability to pull the role off perfectly. And I know there have been times where it's looked like not working out and I think those times may come again. But he was ace tonight in that role. Five accurate long balls, excellent job of keeping the passing going, two tackles, an interception, five clearances, and 100% aerial duels. World class numbers, before you remember his goal and his excellent corner-kick key pass to Henderson. 10/10, perfect.

Henderson: Could have scored a couple of times, but he always looked good when he was on the ball. Probably the best player we had in keeping up the passing game tonight and it showed in his 92% pass success rate. Managed a couple of interceptions as well, which shows how good his pressing was. Quiet game, but any other match and he might have been one of our better players.

Coutinho: Is he back? That ball for Sturridge was beautiful, vintage Coutinho-vs-Newcastle stuff. He had four key passes in addition to the assist and four successful tackles. I thought there was no possible way a player as slight as he could succeed in the 1-2 formation, as he likes to play further forward. Not only did he succeed, he excelled. Great game, 9/10.

Sterling: Nikola, I remember you asked at some point in the past few weeks you'd have to pay to get a winger who can consistently deliver what this kid has done since that Tottenham game. My answer: 30 million. The amount of successful breaks instigated by his dribbling, the defensive contribution, the passing and movement has been absolutely sensational over the past few months and it was no different tonight.

Sturridge: World-class player, no doubt about it. That second goal was as good as any I've seen from Suarez, and it was no fluke. He's a great striker, and like Suarez he can drop off and play through the midfield. He might lose some points with me for the poorly taken penalty and a few instances of selfishness, but it was a fantastic showing from him. What's better, his words in the presser were perfect, saying he was disappointed with himself, not the players or manager, for missing the penalty and then being selfish with Suarez. Great attitude (wtf you on about, Chavs?), fantastic player, good game.

Suarez: What makes him so dangerous is that he's talented in every aspect of football. He's a good defender, midfielder, and forward (and hell, he can play 'keeper too!) He can take excellent set pieces (Stevie's goal), he can tackle (his goal), he can score, he can press, and he never gives up on anything. One goal, one assist, and an almost 90% success rate. How can you ask for any more? 9.5/10, damn near perfect.
Kind of gave my run-down on how I saw it here. Bolded the players who I thought were in with a shout for MOTM. Skrtel had a damn near perfect game, as did Suarez and Coutinho was much improved. But none of them really compare to what Gerrard had in this match. The goal, the passing, the defensive work, the passion and the leadership. MOTM, all the way: Stevie.

Feels harsh having Danny miss out, but when everybody else played so well, it's fair to nitpick.

Bonnar-Of-The-Kop

Keeping It Simple
Gave it to the skipper. He just edged Studge for me. Although every player gave 100% Stevie was a colossus at Anfield. Ran the Midfield like the seasoned pro he is and got us on our way. Legend.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Could almost give it to anyone tonight and you won't hear me complaining. Great performances all over the pitch, think we outplayed them in every way possible.

I'll vote Gerrard but it could be one of many.