• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Manchester City (A)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glen Johnson

• Martin Skrtel

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Mamadou Sakho

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Aly Cissokho

• Lucas Leiva

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Joe Allen

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Raheem Sterling

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Victor Moses (for Coutinho 68')

• Iago Aspas (for Lucas 82')

• Total voters

LFC7NH

MOTM table through the Cardiff game:

Points column = 5 points for most votes in a match, 3 points for second most votes in a match, 1 point for third most votes in a match
Total votes = Total number of man of the match votes received

Libero

Sterling for me, thought he was very good and put in quite a mature performance and I think that is the result of a few good games under his belt. Unlucky not to score but overall his play and confidence was superb.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Joe Allen was our overall best player today. He was everywhere and our CM did a decent job of not allowing City any space.

LiVeRp0oL89

Sterling gets MOTM for me.

Damn, he's really stepped up recently! The kid has only just turned 19 and is looking like one of the most dangerous wide players in the league :D Needs to work on his composure in front of goal but that should come with age. His game intelligence was another issue a few games back but he's already showing signs of addressing that. I think playing up top with Suarez has really benefited him and he should make the most of it while he has the chance.

PS. That offside call was one of the worst, if not the worst, i've ever seen. If we are allowed goal line technology, surely we should be allowed replays for incidents as big as that! Shocking officiating in the PL.. but its no surprise sadly.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Likewise sterling. Showed today not only the expected pace but also a very deft touch when he sent in a couple of lovely clipped lobs which almost led to goals. He's on a good run of form and has surpassed last season

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Lads, whoever voted for Lucas, the joke is wearing very fucking thin. The idea of MOTM is about an honest appraisal of performance, not a fucking X Factor popularity contest. This kind of fuckology ruins the spirit if a very worthwhile thread.

LiVeRp0oL89

Johnny T. said:
Lads, whoever voted for Lucas, the joke is wearing very fucking thin. The idea of MOTM is about an honest appraisal of performance, not a fucking X Factor popularity contest. This kind of fuckology ruins the spirit if a very worthwhile thread.
I'm sure i've seen a previous poll on this site where you can see who's voted for who..? (think it was about who should be Vice Captain). If so, maybe just apply it to all polls?

Oh an i'd be more offended by the Moses vote personally..

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
jordan for me, he was superb from start to finish, if there is a more improved player in the PL i have yet to see him.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Henderson for me, thought he was really excellent.Full of energy and intelligent prompting.

Sterling was decent again, looks a real threat these days, but like Coutinho, his finishing let's him down badly, his miss in the 2nd half was terribly disappointing, should have done a lot better i think.

Skrtel also did really well, although his positioning for Kompany's goal was disappointing, but the Belgian is a serious handful.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Suarez, purely for the amount of clear cut chances he created.

The ball round the corner for the goal, the touch to Coutinho and the cross to Sterling.

Sterling himself a close second.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Johnny T. said:
Wasn't me, i voted for Suarez but i could understand the Lucas vote a damn site more than the Moses one. Everyones entitled to their opinion but that is clearly a joke.

Voted Suarez because he was involved in all the attacks again and some of his touches were sublime. Set up sitters, especially the Sterling one. Sterling could easily have gotten MOTM from me but for that miss, played excellent otherwise and interacted with Suarez and Cou well.

WrongIslander

Henderson, you couldn't ask for any more from the lad and to do that against Fernandinho and Yaya? We've got the real deal here lads. Great performance. Allen was impressive also but bit light in the tackle and as usual panicked when he got near their goal.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Sterling for me, that miss wasn't half as bad as some are making out, I've seen them missed quite a bit, I've even seen Luis miss one or two of them.

Secondary he made the goal and should have had a second, plus he was a constant threat compare him to Moses on the other side is like comparing Gold to Wood.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
brightonpete said:
Stirling,Skrtel and henderson were my stand outs,not voted yet.Thought cissokho did well considering,don't think folks should be getting to worked up over who gets votes, only a bit of fun.
Thought henderson had another good game for you guys. He been a great form this season.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
brightonpete said:
Stirling,Skrtel and henderson were my stand outs,not voted yet.Thought cissokho did well considering,don't think folks should be getting to worked up over who gets votes, only a bit of fun.
Ok, it's only a bit of fun. But then, the acting the bollox stifles proper discussion and debate. Jokes and jibes are fine, so let's make the MOTM thread into a comedy affair. Maybe twin it with a stupid nickname for Jon Flanagan thread.

I am voting for Lucas next time.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Tough call between Suarez and Sterling that one. Nothing in it really. Went for Sterling.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Johnny T. said:
Ok, it's only a bit of fun. But then, the acting the bollox stifles proper discussion and debate. Jokes and jibes are fine, so let's make the MOTM thread into a comedy affair. Maybe twin it with a stupid nickname for Jon Flanagan thread.

I am voting for Lucas next time.
On the overall scheme of things the polls are a pretty accurate reflection of where the players are at. Over the course of the entire season I wouldn't say Lucas has been worse than Johnson. The other players ranking below him have all played less regularly. The single case that could be made is for Coutinho, who has on average turned in slightly better performances than Lucas IMO, but that's about it.

Besides Coutinho, an underwhelming Johnson and the ever-changing left back, Lucas ranks far below every other established regular (Suarez, Henderson, Mignolet, Skrtel, Sturridge, Gerrard, Sakho*). I'd say that's a very accurate assessment of his performances relative to his teammates so far. One could give more credence to this kind of interpretation, over isolated anomalies that in truth have demonstrably negligible bearing on the overall message.

Then again, when it comes to restoring "balance" on these forums (by calling out the extreme that one vehemently opposes), it's each to his/her own I guess.

Herb

Suarez was the clear choice for me yet again. Gave Lescott a torrid time and was all over Kompany as well. Was unlucky not to get on the end of many chances in the game but he created a substantial amount and could have had numerous assists but for some poor finishing. Sterling played well, made a few exceptional passes and some good runs off the line but his miss was the crucial moment in the match and imo it feels wrong to give him motm considering.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
alphakilo said:
On the overall scheme of things the polls are a pretty accurate reflection of where the players are at. Over the course of the entire season I wouldn't say Lucas has been worse than Johnson. The other players ranking below him have all played less regularly. The single case that could be made is for Coutinho, who has on average turned in slightly better performances than Lucas IMO, but that's about it.

Besides Coutinho, an underwhelming Johnson and the ever-changing left back, Lucas ranks far below every other established regular (Suarez, Henderson, Mignolet, Skrtel, Sturridge, Gerrard, Sakho*).
A lot of blame being placed on Coutinho, considering he isn't a winger but is being played there.

Think back to when he was injured and how many posters noticed our lack of chance creation

he needs to be in the middle of the pitch nestled between the CM and forwards. Where he is most effective and free to roam. Penning him on the sideline is a restriction of his vision and exposes his lack of long-pass ability. Utilizing him in a role where he has not been successful is asking the wrong questions of him

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
alphakilo said:

Besides Coutinho, an underwhelming Johnson and the ever-changing left back, Lucas ranks far below every other established regular (Suarez, Henderson, Mignolet, Skrtel, Sturridge, Gerrard, Sakho*). I'd say that's a very accurate assessment of his performances relative to his teammates so far. One could give more credence to this kind of interpretation, over isolated anomalies that in truth have demonstrably negligible bearing on the overall message.
Suarez, Gerrard, Lucas, Coutinho and Sturridge are probably (still) by far our best performers this term. Johnson and Skrtel probably just behind these overall.

That's not in any way meant as a slight (by me) on how Sakho, Hendo, Mignolet, Sterling and Allen (both of them lately) have done. Actually, the gap in level between our more experienced players and the younger ones has been much reduced this season, which is great to see ...but there is still a small (but evident) gap. Most of that gap is probably experience-based, but there is a very significant gap still.

Hendo (for example) has excelled of late and is very much improved too this term ...but he's still very far from "being there" just yet. For all the love Hendo is getting from LFC fans - he will still need to kick-on a whole lot more (and also to do so massively) to rank amongst our best 5 players atm ...let alone make the EPL's Top 10~20 list. That's not a criticism of his effort (in any way) ...it's just his challenge over the next 2 seasons, if he's to really make it at LFC.

lovepool

Pete there is no way on this earth Lucas or Johnson have been as good or better than Henderson Mignolet or Sakho. Both of them have been inconsistent at best.

How you could have either ahead of Mignolet, who has been fantastic until City, can only be done to you been charitable at Christmas

Canuck33

Banned Users
Semmy said:
Joe Allen was our overall best player today. He was everywhere and our CM did a decent job of not allowing City any space.
You're kidding, right?

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Canuck33 said:
You're kidding, right?
not kidding at all. Its my opinion, I know how difficult it is to do what Allen did on Thursday