• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Manchester City (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Martin Skrtel

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Mamadou Sakho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glen Johnson

• Steven Gerrard

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • Jordan Henderson

• Raheem Sterling

Votes: 59 42.1%
  • Daniel Sturridge

• Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • Luis Suarez

• Joe Allen (for Sturridge 66')

• Total voters

LFC7NH

I'll go with Stevie for his shear passion, leadership and defensive work. Could just as easily be Sterling, Skrtel or Coutinho too.

Current MOTM Table:

Points column = 5 points for most votes in a match, 3 points for second most votes in a match, 1 point for third most votes in a match
Total votes = Total number of man of the match votes received

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Coutinho, as soon as I saw that tackle he made on Nasri, I know this kid has a score to settle. He scored against them when we were I Etihad only to see us giving them 2 back, and now he scored again and this time it's our winner. Coutinho, definitely stand out in this game.

Zoran

Coutinho edges it for me in the end.

Sterling was also good, very well taken goal (not usual to score like that from that type of situation), little steps, changes of direction, like a gazelle.

The two little guys were just quality and made the difference today in periods when we played well. I hope this gives Philippe the confidence to reproduce the off the ball stuff he did more often now. Just needs that bit of consistency, that is his next mission. Scored the winning goal with a quality shot at the time when City looked more likely to get the winner. Kompany made the error and he was there to punish it. 5 goals now and big game/crucial time goals as well... Everton, City away, Fulham away, Spurs and now City again.

Gerrard with a couple of crunching tackles and great leadership.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
It's either Coutinho or Sterling. Sterling probably had the better first half, with his dribbling and pace a massive problem for City, but faded a little as Man City took charge. Coutinho was strong, combative and aggressive in the first half - making a statement that the manager needn't turn to Lucas or Allen when he wants more control in the middle - but had more influence that Sterling in the second half, eventually scoring the winner.

So Coutinho, with Sterling not far behind.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Coutinho and Sterling were phenomenal!

The two of them were on a par with the three of Silva, Navas and Nasri.

Really top class performances the two wouldn't look out of place in any team based on today.

Lucas

Agree with everyone, it could have been anyone of Skrtel, Gerrard, Sterling or Coutinho but Coutinho edged it. His pressing was phenomenal, and some of the best this season. He was absolutely relentless when City were in possession, and I lose count of the amount of times he hounded Nasri into a misplaced pass or he stole the ball.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Definitely Coutinho because of the similar reasons as the other posters mentioned plus he gave us the crucial goal to win the match but Skrtel a close second. He was amazing today defensively as well as offensively.

Herb

Big Phil Coutinho for me, he was like a man possessed all game. A few thumping challenges on Nasri, the winning goal, covered a lot of ground when they were stretching us from side to side, really showed up the biggest of big games today.

RedLaw

JFT96
Went for Coutinho in the end but could easily have given it to Sterling or Gerrard. We've definately put the lie to the claim we're dependant on SAS to win games. Sturridge having a week or two out the team might be a blessing in disguise. We're more than capable of beating Norwich without him, he hasn't been firing of late and we'll need him back to his best for Chelsea. Suarez needs to learn to calm the f*ck down in these big games, could easily have been sent off today.

Personally am absolutely lovin' seeing our young players develop under Rodgers. Sterling looks even better playing through the middle than he did out wide. Can't wait to see this team develop over the coming years.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
So hard to choose just one, but Coutinho had to have it. Sterling, Skrtel, Flanagan, Gerrard, and Mignolet all had a decent claim. Sterling even cleared the ball off the line in addition to getting a goal - which is as good as scoring, isn't it? Flanagan didn't put a foot wrong all afternoon against some very experienced and fast opponents. Skrtel for the most part was excellent, though he nearly cost us a penalty with that stray hand. But that shouldn't take away from an otherwise strong performance. Gerrard led bravely and put in quite a shift. City are an very good team and we had to be on point today.

But Coutinho embodied the fight, the spirit as well as the quality that we have become all about. Getting stuck into tackles, closing players down, using the ball well, running at defenders and eventually getting the crucial goal. Excellent performance from him all round. I really hope I get to see him play in Brazil this Summer.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I went with Coutinho -but could just have easily voted for Raheem
Great damn day

Bobbinho

Sterling for me, would have given it to Cou but his first half wasn't all that where as i think Sterling provided a threat for the full 90mins, great goal, made it look simple, confidence player who is growing stronger by the day....

Big shout out to Stevie who probably should get my vote, but the young Raheem was Sterling today & deserves all the praise coming to him.

yiannos33

Believe
I have to say Sterling. He was everywhere today. Scored a goal,saved a goal at the end of the first half.
Coutinho,Skrtel,Gerrard,could also claim motm.

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
mattyhurst said:
I turned it off at 2-2 so up to that point it was Srktel
I don't know how you could turn that match off. What a quality game. Both teams had there moments.

We Probably should have finished the game off in the first half tho.

Sterling was immense. Coutinho, just brilliant and Stevie just a true world class player!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Coutinho for me ,but what a game,Sterling was great early, Skrtel another great game and Stevie, what do you say?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Went with Stevie.

Probably the first person in history to get Mott for one covering run to left back and a post game team huddle.

And I don't care......

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Coutinho with special mention for sterling.

What a game!! I am buzzing. At work still half lit from the emotions and alcohol yesterday.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Druss said:
I don't know how you could turn that match off. What a quality game. Both teams had there moments.
We Probably should have finished the game off in the first half tho.
Sterling was immense. Coutinho, just brilliant and Stevie just a true world class player!
For the neutral perhaps, Going for a walk settled my nerves, I destroyed a remote control last week.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I think Skrtel once and for all should have put all doubts about him being good enough for us to bed. He has been outstanding this season. Not without his faults, but he has taken on the challenge very well this season and is the outstanding CB for me. However, this game, he did make a couple of mistakes especially the one where he totally allows Aguero to run past him only for Silva to miss putting them 3-2 up by inches. So I gave it to Sterling who by all honesty is going to take some dislodging from the team. I still think we need to buy someone who is ready for the first team so as to give options and competitions but if Sterling continues to play like that together with Suarez and Sturridge, it will take some hell of a player to dislodge him from the first 11. And Coutinho is probably showing the fruits of coaching. Previously he was tentative at times and unlike Sterling, he does not track back and does not show aggression well. But in the last few weeks, he has improved on that, he has become more hardworking, running to and fro, going in strong despite his minute stature. I think that surprises opponents a bit because people will think he is all so delicate and twinkle toes but he shows he has aggression to go with his creativity. Great player for us and kudos to BR and team for getting this out of him.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
mattyhurst said:
For the neutral perhaps, Going for a walk settled my nerves, I destroyed a remote control last week.
One word for you then, while watching the game -----> WEED. :)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
lfc.eddie said:
One word for you then, while watching the game -----> WEED. :)
Haha I have had to drop the alcohol as the tension makes me drink too much, if Liverpool do go on to win the Premier League this season I will get drunk that evening.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Watching the game again, just got home from a 13hr shift and was forced to watch the game on my S4. Stupid ipads

Coutinho. If ever a more timely goal..

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
mattyhurst said:
Haha I have had to drop the alcohol as the tension makes me drink too much, if Liverpool do go on to win the Premier League this season I will get drunk that evening.
I am still drunk, walking into my office this morning. It's part and parcel of being a Liverpool fan these days, you going to need super strong will and liver.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
Coutinho - the best all round performance I have seen from the lad - keep it up!!
Also thought Sterling played superb, as did skrtel and flanno handled it well too (again!!!)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
That's a hard one again, we are lucky chaps...

I'll go with Raheem, because his early goal put us on our way, and he displayed his talent in an unbelieveable manner when considering the quality of the opponents. The way he played with Hart and Kompany to score his goal was otherworldly stuff at that level, and he generally terrorized the sh*t out of man city's defence, time and time again. So much pace to burn, but more importantly, so much game intelligence in such a young man... fantastic really.

I agree with everyone else that Coutinho would be a worthy MoM as well. What a winner that was... what about that utter delight when it went in. Brillant, brillant, brillant. He was also instrumental in his pressing work and his passing game throughout the match. I hear Phil Scolari was at the game. Now, that performance will give him some food for thought I guess!

And of course, Gerrard would deserve it as well. The sheer desire to keep them out, to score that goal on a corner (wondersave from Hart), and then that perfect corner on Skrtel's head... just wow. Fantastic tackle to deny a chance at one point, and a relentlessness which is truly unique. And he managed to do all of this without getting a yellow as well... hats off to this truly great player.

Special mention as well for Henderson, who despite his late red card, did some key work with his pressing and running. Some fantastic opening passes as well from him.

Johnson (extremely unlucky on the own goal, not his fault at all) and Flanagan, who offered all the width we needed while being very solid defensively, shouldn't be forgotten, and of course a thought as well for the central defence pair, who both had their wobbly moments, but who wouldn't have them against the likes of Silva, Dzeko, Aguero etc.

Finally, Mignolet made a couple of key saves in key moments, which is the thing you'll ask from a good keeper in this kind of games. Couldn't do much on the first city goal, which was a class collective move, and absolutely mightless on Johnson's own-goal. Excellent performance.

But again, it's the team which really gets MoM from me. They look so tightly knit together, and that's the spirit which put them through again. Hopefully they can get this up until the end. Fingers crossed, lads! :)

(our weak point was our usual strong one for this match: Sturridge being off the pace and unlucky with his decisions, also missing a sitter from a wonderful Sterling-cross, and Suarez, while being his usual nuisance and making a superb assist for Sterling's goal, being a bit too nervous and anxious to get decisions from the ref. It could have cost him and us dearly, but thankfully he got through the 90 minutes without more than a yellow)

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Sterling for me edges it with a classy goal and a header off our goal line that stopped a sure goal. Phillipe and Stevie also immense
and many other notable performances.