• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Manchester City (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Martin Skrtel

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Mamadou Sakho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glen Johnson

• Steven Gerrard

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • Jordan Henderson

• Raheem Sterling

Votes: 59 42.1%
  • Daniel Sturridge

• Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • Luis Suarez

• Joe Allen (for Sturridge 66')

• Total voters

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Sterling and Coutinho were the eye catchers, both were immense, better and contributed more than the much lauded Silva and Nasri, but i voted for Raheem for his composure for the goal, his goal-line clearance and brilliant running with the ball and his determination and strength defensively. Awesome display from our pocket dynamo.

WrongIslander

Coutinho and Sterling are both up there and it's hard to separate either but being ultra critical I'll say that Sterling edges it.

Yes folks in the most pressured league game of the last 20 odd years our kids of 19 and 21 were fucking brilliant.

The future is very bright indeed.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I so wanted to give this one to Stevie, just for the tears and huddle after the final whistle, but decided to be be objective/
Sterling takes it. he was unstoppable in both halves. Skrtel, Gerrard and Coutinho a close second.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Monstrous performance by Sterling, simply notched a level up. His pace is frightening, and his positional sense has improved a lot.

To be fair skrtel, coutinho,Sterling all had a stellar performance and all were imo Man of the match.

KraznyIvan

Coutinho from Gerrard. I thought that Raheem was excellent first half but fadef in the second and we really could have used a good counter attacking goal to kill the game off.

Coutinho turned defence into attack many times and managed inch perfect passes so often. With Hendo having an offday he was out best creative attacker.

Stevie gave everything and made a goal. I dont think that either conceded goal was really his fault but I think that as captain he was leading from the front and didnt do enough to settle the lads in the second half.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
this one is easy for me... Gerrard

I know both Sterling and Coutinho are deserving but Gerrard had a complete match from one end to the other other and lead his team with everything he got being the best a captain can be. He had a beautiful cross to Skertel... he made several runs back to make crucial game saving tackles... he showed the passion I haven't even seen him show before at the end... I don't see how anyone can be MOTM over Gerrard to be honest. I guarantee you every player on the team and manager would pick Gerrard MOTM. so I will do the same...

:)

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Sterling and by-a-mile for me. Special mention to Coutinho as well ...and a very special mention to Flanno too.

Just (as regards Flanno), from the next 5 minutes between Silva's (and btw just how good is David Silva!!? He basically single-handedly changed the game in City's favour from about the half-hour mark (and for about the next 50 minutes in a very sustained effort) - from City being-on-a-hiding to almost total domination of us and of relentlessly pinning us back ...and just a simply wonderful player is Silva!!) almost-goal on Aguero's cross on 75' , Flanno was just magnificent for us.

Just preceeding Coutinho's goal, Flanno himself beat Milner in the air to set-up Coutinho's LW run (then in-field) and Zabaleta's (belated) booking that eventually saw us gain the throw-in that led to Kompany's howler and Coutinho's wonder strike. Then, just seconds after the restart, Flanno really clattered into Milner on the sideline for a throw-in and he then won the ball - not once or even twice, but about 4 times in the next 3~4 minutes. We were hanging on for dear life most of the second-half and then got a goal out-of-the-blue ...and then young Flanno really was setting the tone for us in the last 15 minutes - of we shall not be passed! The 3~4 minutes after we got our (miracle) go-ahead goal (and it was something very much against the run of play) , Flanno was our clear inspiration and our catalyst in the we-shall-not-be-beaten stakes. City really didn't threaten us after that ...and I thought that the few minutes after we scored were crucial myself. City still had lots of time to rectify the 3-2 ... but Flanno just defined our attitude at that moment.

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Oooh this is a close one! I went for Raheem, he is becoming Mr Consistent, every time he has the ball, I feel so sure that he's going to turn the player and go and sure enough he does. The Magician was well, Magic and i'll never forget that finish but Sterling edged it for me, if he can start to really finish everything off he creates, then we are more than an exciting prospect in the champions league next year.

spizfromoz

Coutinho for me. I had to rub my eyes a few times to confirm he played that well as a central midfielder. His speed across the pitch and the intelligent way he stole (or tackled) the ball off players (the agricultural tackle may be a thing of the past when you've got feet as fast as his). Thought he stunned the City midfield. He dropped back deep quickly and that movement forward whether carrying the ball or passing was sublime. I dismissed him as a CM when he played there last season. I'd have laughed at a midfield three of Gerrard, Coutinho, Henderson. I was wrong. He can be a devastating No. 10 but a very good CM when called upon.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
have to give it to Raheem Sterling for getting the momentum going with the 1st goal (one that shows his maturity) and the goal line clearance header which could have tipped the balance to Citeh had they scored that early.

Cou a close second with his brilliant pressing causing problems and a predator's goal to win the game.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Coutinho got my vote over Sterling. They both had outstanding games for their Age!
But Courtinho worked his socks off and put numerous tackles in and generally did a lot of the 'dirty' work that he ain't renowned for..... oh and that finish :)

All Day

TIA Reserve Team
Barely went with Sterling. Was very close to a split vote between him and Coutinho. It was 51% Sterling and 49% Coutinho.

Both of them played an absolutely fantastic game. It has been interesting to see both of them flourish in essentially new positions with Coutiho in the CM and Sterling as the attacking mid. Both had amazing goals, both contributed massively on defense, and both ran their socks off.

What tipped the needle a little bit for me to Sterling was really about two moments. First one was that pass that Sturridge should have buried. The vision and skill to fit that pass it was amazing. Should have been 2-0 at that point if Sturridge was on form.

Second one was not a big point in the game but there was one point early in the first half when a ball was bouncing around the middle of the pitch and Raheem out jumped Yaya Toure for a header. It was one of those who wants it more moments and the 5'7" Sterling got up and out jumped the 6'2" Toure. Not likely to happen often but it was impressive. At that point I knew he was up for the game.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
If you add Raheem and Cou's ages, you get my wife. I'm pretty sure I love her more but I wouldn't like to have to choose. Our best player's against City, the ones who drove us to the win are kids.

The future's so, so, SO red :)

Raheem for me by about 1% from Cou.

BrennansRed

Went for Coutinho, couldn't pick between him and Sterling at all and Sterling is ahead on the poll so....