• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Newcastle (A)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glen Johnson

• Martin Skrtel

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Mamadou Sakho

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Kolo Toure

• Aly Cissokho

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Jordan Henderson

• Victor Moses

• Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Luis Alberto (for Sakho 63')

• Raheem Sterling (for Johnson 83')

• Total voters

steve10

TIA New Signing
Suarez by a mile- the rest bar Gerrard shouldn't even be considered.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I gave it to Suarez, Gerrard did ok especially after the break the rest well bar a nice cameo by Alberto awful but typical after a break it seems

captain chaos

TIA Youth Team
Started off well, had good hopes for Hendo but alas didnt work out - makes me appreciate more the dirty work that Lucas does to give the team a platform to project from

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Skrtel.

Ignoring him is getting such a cool thing to do.

Thought enderson was fine, if Lucas pressed and had the same intentions as he did in ame, the walls would be covered in spunk after every game.

captain chaos

TIA Youth Team
redbj said:
if Lucas pressed and had the same intentions as he did in ame, the walls would be covered in spunk after every game.
This

Juvenile superlative posts like this aint warranted or appreciated, it's a totally disproportionate response to my post.

All your post does is provoke division and disdain
Used to be a good site this free of knobheads..

redbj try find another tree to piss on

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Saurez for me, too many were missing really, but thought Skrtel was fine and I liked Alberto's cameo as well.

redbj

Meh, just a bit of a poke, that's all, if you paid attention in class you'd see I'm fairly level headed when it comes to Lucas, probably an anti, but hey, at least I contribute to other stuff.

I can understand your frustration though, after everything you've managed bring to forums over the years.....

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Gerrard.

No idea how Suarez is winning it. Fair enough he did have a big hand in both goals which shouldn't go unnoticed but he gave the ball away every other attack and generally looked off the pace.

I disagree with redbj and thought Henderson was poor. Was so disheartened with his two efforts, the dipping volleys. Anyone who plays football will know how easy a technique it is to execute yet he was fucking miles off with both attempts, the 2nd being particularly bad as he had so much time to set himself. Played some nice passes in fairness, one ball in particular that was slightly reminiscent of Gerrard's ball to Sturridge at Sunderland.

Skrtel was the best of our defenders overall. Not many great performances to pick from.

Bobbinho

Gave MOTM to Gerrard for his overall performance, how the hell anyone can give it to Suarez is beyond me.

redbj

ILLOK said:
Gerrard.
No idea how Suarez is winning it. Fair enough he did have a big hand in both goals which shouldn't go unnoticed but he gave the ball away every other attack and generally looked off the pace.
I disagree with redbj and thought Henderson was poor. Was so disheartened with his two efforts, the dipping volleys. Anyone who plays football will know how easy a technique it is to execute yet he was fucking miles off with both attempts, the 2nd being particularly bad as he had so much time to set himself. Played some nice passes in fairness, one ball in particular that was slightly reminiscent of Gerrard's ball to Sturridge at Sunderland.
Skrtel was the best of our defenders overall. Not many great performances to pick from.
You've been spot on with quite a few things of late, so I suppose you were due to be wrong at some stage.

To clarify, I don't know exactly how I should have worded it, but Henderson to me wasn't great( nor were the team), but the intent was there to Harry the ball high up the park and move it forward with intent.

The fact he botched a few efforts is actually a positive, at least he was up there to do so.

Haven't got a problem with his efforts or game today, not blown away or anything.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
redbj said:
You've been spot on with quite a few things of late, so I suppose you were due to be wrong at some stage.
lol touche

RaoulDuke

Hardly-Known Member
Matt said:
Can the person who voted Sturridge please reveal yourself?
I wanted to vote for glen johnson.
But now that fans who make 'unusual' votes are prompted to reveal themselves I do not dare to do it...

TheSweetSilverSong

Gerrard easily for me. Great passing rate, some great magic passes (that had gone in by strikers we'd be talking about amazing assists), and his 100th goal to boot.

Most of the rest below their normal standard.

Glad to see Sturridge score even when he's playing bad, but I remember not giving it to him in some games where he did score and didn't play bad, can't see it here.

markwillo91

Gerrard by a country mile our best player. Agree with lots of others that Suarez kept giving the ball away, didn't have the greatest of games but still played a part in both goals.

Was really impressed by Alberto's little cameo, played a couple of brilliant low crosses into the box and tidy on the ball.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Yeah. The captain no question. Even a declining Gerrard is better than most other players.

Such a shame that the barnstorming runs and long range goals are a thing of the past, watched his goals on LFC TV again yesterday, his freekick at St James' in 2008 was ridiculously good.

Think Skrtel deserves a mention, he was decent aswell.

Zoran

Yeah Stevie purely because of the chances created, was better as the game went on but he provided more than enough chances in a crucial period when we should've won it but our finishing was poor. Love it when goalkeepers provoke him before penalties, brings the best out of him and raises his concentration that little bit more (Helton did the same with Porto against us in 2007).

Also agree on Skrtel that he had a good game, did his job when it was needed.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The reason I gave it to Suarez is without him we don't score he might give the ball away and not chase back but he was key in both goals in periods were we looked lost otherwise.

I would certaintly join in the praise of Alberto's cameo, he looked pretty dangerous when he came on, might be developing into something special.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
gave it to Gerrard as well, Sturridge despite his goal was a bit off.

but for what it's worth, I'd like all of our players to have shit games like he's had yesterday, if you know what I mean.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Matt said:
Can the person who voted Sturridge please reveal yourself?
I was calling for him to be taken off at half time. Goal or not he was very poor. Thought Albertos distribution could have come in handy against ten men for a longer period than the last twenty or so.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Take Sturridge off when we have 3 centre backs on the pitch and no senior forwards on the bench? no, that would have been wrong, despite how he was playing.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
ILLOK said:
Take Sturridge off when we have 3 centre backs on the pitch and no senior forwards on the bench? no, that would have been wrong, despite how he was playing.
Moses who was quite lively and he could have been pushed further forward and let Alberto knit things together in that AMC role, this would have been the thinking. Plus we changed the backline to a back 4 which could have been done as soon as they had man sent off. So I don't think it would have been wrong. It would have been well warranted in my opinion.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
Not only did Daniel score one after we were down 2-1, but he was the one who spotted Luis with that amazing long curly over-head pass. The unbelievable pass, that will unfortunately never be credited as an assist to Stevie's goal, (when in fact it was the reason we scored).

Folks on here say that he should have been taken off. Keep smoking what you have been.

I'm one of the 2 who voted for Daniel. Daniel salvaged the point.

Rooster

What a hit son
The Skirt for me closely followed by Gerrard.

I really like what I see from Sakho, a very good buy and will keep getting better. Alberto well done for the brief spell.

But not exactly an inspiring all round performance.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
LFC-Orlando said:
Not only did Daniel score one after we were down 2-1, but he was the one who spotted Luis with that amazing long curly over-head pass. The unbelievable pass, that will unfortunately never be credited as an assist to Stevie's goal, (when in fact it was the reason we scored).

Folks on here say that he should have been taken off. Keep smoking what you have been.

I'm one of the 2 who voted for Daniel. Daniel salvaged the point.
Well a vote for Sturridge as Man of The Match is basically saying "I haven't a clue" if you ask me. He had a very poor game, couldn't hold onto the ball,lost it countless times, decision making, when he did control it he held onto to it for too long, made no runs at all, never looked for it as much as he ususally does. He was a shadow of himself.

How you make him Man of the Match is beyond me.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
He wasn't man of the match but the idea of taking him off and putting Moses (who was awful) in his position instead is equally as silly.

He made the first and scored the 2nd. That's the reason you keep your best players on the pitch even if they're having off days. Taking off the league's top goalscorer when the opposition is down to 10 men and you're only drawing is madness.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
ILLOK said:
He wasn't man of the match but the idea of taking him off and putting Moses (who was awful) in his position instead is equally as silly.

He made the first and scored the 2nd. That's the reason you keep your best players on the pitch even if they're having off days. Taking off the league's top goalscorer when the opposition is down to 10 men and you're only drawing is madness.
What you suggested in your previous post was that because we had 3 defenders on the pitch and no striker on the bench made him untouchable?? So no matter how bad a player is playing he stays on because of this, very narrow minded. Change of tactics and personnel could have sorted that out. Defender and sturridge off and alberto and sterling on go 4-3-3 with moses and sterling either side of Suarez. We were very late to make changes when it was clearly not working for us, even against ten men.

Drawing madness ? What substituting a player who is having a bit of a stinker? Yes he scored but it was hardly his own making Suarez made it for him, on a plate. The fact he lost the ball 9/10 times it went to him was the key for taking him off imo. We needed to keep the ball and stretch them a bit. And Sturridge didn't help us to to do that. We should have beaten them comfortable after they went down to ten men. Saying he salvaged a point for us is looking at it very positively. I think he was one of the main reasons we didn't go on to win it. Different ways of looking at it.

I don't expect Sturridge to be lethal every game he plays but the days he's not playing well we shouldn't be afraid to change it and sub him off. Giving players an untouchable status is dangerous territory.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Not wanting to substitute Sturridge for Sterling is not giving him an untouchable status though is it? Come on, let's be sensible and stop putting words in my mouth.

Sturridge has about 10x the amount of goals and 2x the amount of assists (or more) than Sterling has in 10-15 less games at this level. Even on an off day he is a far more effective attacking player than Sterling. Subbing off one of your best players because of an under par first 45 for a kid who's been in poor form for going on a year isn't the percentage play there. And what about Moses? he was the worst player on the park.

I just think you're trying to be a bit too clever or controversial to be honest.