• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Southampton (A)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Martin Skrtel

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Daniel Agger

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Glen Johnson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Allen

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 109 79.6%
  • Raheem Sterling (for Coutinho)

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

LFC7NH

Suarez for me!

Updated MOTM table through Swansea match:

Points column = 5 points for most votes in a match, 3 points for second most votes in a match, 1 point for third most votes in a match
Total votes = Total number of man of the match votes received

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Suarez, who else? The man made both goals and score one himself. Constant menace and superb finish.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
The Post.
That early shot from Lallana goes in, and we have an entirely different match.

Second vote to Sterling.
Perfect substitution and tactics by BR.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Suarez

Props to the defenders...definitely second in the ranking (Dagger/Skrtel)

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Mignolet for the save which kept us in the 1-0 game. Solid game and a VERY important away win with a blank sheet

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Hard to decide between Mignolet and Suarez. If it wasn't for that brilliant save in the first half things might have gone a different way.

Went with Suarez, because that man makes football beautiful.

Bobbinho

Mignolet for me today.

Clean sheet, some smart clearances, great save to keep us 1nil up....could easily have struggled if that had gone in...

Well played.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Suarez. Sterling a close second. But a special mention for Rodgers - what an improvement against a bogey team over these months.

Coutinho quite convincingly the worst.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
So many games, we need a different poll - Man of the Match Other than Suarez - Mignolet gets that for me.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
alphakilo said:
Suarez. Sterling a close second. But a special mention for Rodgers - what an improvement against a bogey team over these months.

Coutinho quite convincingly the worst.
Coutinho appears to struggle against bigger physical players. They pressed him hard today and banged him around.

Defuz

No one player thrilled me today, but a few impressed. Sturridge worked hard up top. Sterling came in with a nice burst and goal, but not much else beyond a capable body in the middle. Allen started really well, but settled down and didn’t particularly excel. In the back, Johnson held his own with a dependable performance, and Skittles made some nice plays. But as a choice has to be made, I’m going with Suarez for his goal, his usual work rate, and two assists, if you count the PK.

Defuz

Semmy said:
Coutinho appears to struggle against bigger physical players. They pressed him hard today and banged him around.
He was atrocious this game. Not only did he have problems against the bigger players, but he played like it was a practice session that didn't matter and that he didn't care. Frankly, as the season moves forward, he moves backwards. As it stands today I'm very disappointed, and look forward to us picking up someone after the season resigning Coutinho to the bench with, hopefully, some incentive to work harder.
indianscouser said:
Aspas. Had to be him.
So you're the one! :p

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Couldn't go past Luis for this, scored one and involved in the other two, what a game for him.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Suarez was instrumental and totally deserved it tonight, credit to the backline and Joe Allen who broke up the play so much.

Am I right in thinking that is our first league clean sheet away since Spurs another game Joe Allen played in, Brendan got his tactics spot on

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Luis was a class apart. Scored one, created one and won a penalty. Other than that, was a pain in the arse all evening, and never stopped running - even after being caught on the ankle and clearly in pain late on.

If that isn't a MOTM performance I don't know what is.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Luis for me, no question here. Special mentions for Mignolet and Gerrard, also a special one for Sterling when coming on. The rest of the team performed on a 7.5/10 level, which was good enough on the day to dispatch this very good S'hampton team.

Two players went a bit through their match today for me though: Coutinho and Johnson. Luckily, they were carried through the game by the other players.

KraznyIvan

Luis was imperious. Agger a close second for me. Impressed with Joe Allen as well. Hell. Anyone other than Sturridge or Flanno probably.

jimbo

TIA Regular
Luis no question , goals win games and made all 3!!

Huge credit to Southampton , proper football team!

Redaido

TIA Youth Team
Skrtel all the way. A great CB's performance didn't give lambert an inch, was dominant in the air and first to everything. He set the tone for the whole team. Its good to see him back to his best after a few shaky weeks as we'll need him to but in similar performances for the last 10 games!

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Dragonshadow said:
Joe Allen for me.
I voted for Luis but I thought Allen had a good game too. Skrtel, Agger and the Keeper were the other standout performers.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Suarez was the difference in quality of that there is no doubt, but without the vital interceptions, tackles and clearances made by Skrtel we would have conceded a number of goals. His concentration levels for 90+ minutes were spot on (for once) & his first half performance showed that even when under pressure, when Skrtel is "at it" there are few better center halves. Thats why I gave him the nod for man of the match. That 30 minute period after we scored the first was hard to watch but Mignolet & Skrtel were often our last line of defense and Skrtel made the right choice each time be it clearance to row z, a pass wide, back or down the field. Lets hope that he can maintain those levels under much less taxing circumstances for the remainder of the season.
Honerable mention to allen for a fine performance where he offered protection to a less than fit looking Glen Johnson.

GJ needs to be at the top of his game to play left back - he needs fitness, games and confidence to get back to his high levels. Easy to criticise him but he is one of the best full backs in Europe when fully fit.

WrongIslander

Luis. How anyone can vote Skrtel is beyond me. He would have been the reason Soton scored more than 1 if their finishing was better, he was garbage and we were lucky.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Can't look past Suarez for this one. Sterling deserves a mention as well, everything clicked when he came on. Mignolet was also very good.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Suarez by a mile but it was also a good defensive display. I liked the way we just shut them down completely in the second half. Allen made a big difference in the midfield. Skrtel/Agger both played well. Mignolet made a critical save in the first half and was generally more confident and dominant than he's been for a long time. When he came out for the corner and punched it away I thought I was dreaming. I'd like to see a bit more of that.