• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Southampton (A)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Martin Skrtel

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Daniel Agger

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Glen Johnson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Allen

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 109 79.6%
  • Raheem Sterling (for Coutinho)

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
WrongIslander said:
Luis. How anyone can vote Skrtel is beyond me. He would have been the reason Soton scored more than 1 if their finishing was better, he was garbage and we were lucky.
FFS? He certainly was not garbage.
Suarez was fantastic but we were on the back foot for almost 60 minutes of that match, had to scramble clearences, put in crucial tackles and hoof it clear to keep our clean sheet - Skrtel was the best defender on the pitch.

Maybe your nerves got the better of you as you watched the game and you were doing a lot of shouting at the TV blaming defenders but truth be told while we had a lucky break or two defensively we were abject in the first half and had a lucky break go our way offensively for the opener.
For long periods in the 1st half our midfielders didnt offer up much protection for our back four and the game wass stretched - Rodgers had us drop deeper in the second half and took of Coutinho who couldnt complete a five yard pass (he had a real stinker)

Drubas

I thought both Skertl and Agger were good. Agger was a bit more aggressive and solid defensively, and Skertl did his job defensively.

I think we had some problems with a stretched out team in the first, and we had a problem with Johnson the whole game.

WrongIslander

jimmydestiny said:
FFS? He certainly was not garbage.
Suarez was fantastic but we were on the back foot for almost 60 minutes of that match, had to scramble clearences, put in crucial tackles and hoof it clear to keep our clean sheet - Skrtel was the best defender on the pitch.

Maybe your nerves got the better of you as you watched the game and you were doing a lot of shouting at the TV blaming defenders but truth be told while we had a lucky break or two defensively we were abject in the first half and had a lucky break go our way offensively for the opener.
For long periods in the 1st half our midfielders didnt offer up much protection for our back four and the game wass stretched - Rodgers had us drop deeper in the second half and took of Coutinho who couldnt complete a five yard pass (he had a real stinker)
Seen the game twice, once with and once without emotion and he was nowhere near good enough and certainly not in the discussion for man of the match.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Genius, no question.

Involved in every goal, how can he not be the MOTM??

bes

Skrtel/Agger had great games, when both your full backs were ass like Flanno/Glen + playing a narrow diamond it leaves your CBs exposed. Agger did well aerially in the first 45 and Skrtel was solid all around. Soton were very dangerous and Im surprised they didnt score, yet Norwich on their only chance against us manage to deny a clean sheet lol

Suarez shined though

spizfromoz

Suarez is the complete forward. He scares opposition defences, lays off and creates like a No 10, scores like a No 9 and crosses like a No 11. How can he not get the MOTM?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
bes said:
Skrtel/Agger had great games, when both your full backs were ass like Flanno/Glen + playing a narrow diamond it leaves your CBs exposed. Agger did well aerially in the first 45 and Skrtel was solid all around. Soton were very dangerous and Im surprised they didnt score, yet Norwich on their only chance against us manage to deny a clean sheet lol

Suarez shined though
And the full backs.

Johnson was better than Flanagan, but then Flanagan had Shaw and others running at him. It's not an easy task when Lallana was drifting all over the place. Neither were 'ass'.

We didn't concede and we only let them have a few chances. Considering Lambert, Shaw and Lallana in particular were having really decent games I'd say we done well enough.

It's almost impossible to not let a side playing like Southampton were have any chances at all. We limited them though, and that was good enough.

That said, Suarez was obviously the best player on the pitch.

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
Joe Allen was hands down our best midfielder, which was all the more apparent given how anonymous Coutinho was, as well as Henderson for long stretches.

How he has fewer votes than Skrtel (and how Skrtel has as many as Agger) is beyond me.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
ubermick said:
Joe Allen was hands down our best midfielder, which was all the more apparent given how anonymous Coutinho was, as well as Henderson for long stretches.

How he has fewer votes than Skrtel (and how Skrtel has as many as Agger) is beyond me.
I guess it's natural though. A last-ditch tackle is more eye-catching and lasts longer in your memory than making the right decisions, picking up the right positions, covering for your teammates etc.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
SirBillShankly said:
Genius, no question.

Involved in every goal, how can he not be the MOTM??
Sturridge scored two and set up one last week and was overlooked.

I voted Suarez myself v Southampton.