• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

MOTM vs Stoke City (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 51 31.3%
  • Glen Johnson

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Kolo Toure

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Daniel Agger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jose Enrique

• Lucas Leiva

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Iago Aspas

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • Raheem Sterling

• Total voters

LFC7NH

It's simple, vote for your MOTM vs Stoke at Anfield!

I'll keep track of the total votes over the course of the season and see how they stack up against our player of the season voting.

Feel free to comment who you picked and why if you'd like, but keep all match discussion to the post match thread.

Nick_LFC

Bob and Phil from Brazil!
Picked Mino for obvious reason, Lucas is a close 2nd, he made some fantastic tackles and clearances today.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Mignolet, granted, saved the penalty and won us the 3 points but was shaky throughout. Lucas was my vote, he harried, won tackles, and was full of energy and effective.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
So many contenders but Stevie G was rock solid today.

auzziez

Although Mignolet was the difference between a draw and a win, I'd give it to Lucas. Bossed the midfield breaking their play. Looks like he's back to what he was like before his injury. For me he stood out in midfield.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Save a penno and the followup, save us two points on your debut... you've earned the MotM imo.

Herb

Lucas for me. Combative in midfield, good in possession and looks like he's came on since last season. Was the best performer across the 90 for me.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Toss up between Toure and Mignolet for me, but Mignolet gets it for the double save at the end. He saved two points for us today. Enrique was also very good.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I was torn between Lucas and Mignolet, I kind of wished they could share MOTM, despite Mignolet saving us 3 points, I think Lucas edged for me, he was fabulous in midfield and cleared many balls for us and kept the ball. He got my vote.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
Henderson for me

Should have scored two easily but for Begovic

A couple of great through balls for Aspas and Sturbridge and didn't stop running all game

He is really getting the BR system. He kept out his love child Allen out if the line up

Big things for Hendo😄

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
A few candidates for MOTM today. Yes Sturridge scored the winner and played well, he's turning out to be a great signing. Lucas was also on top form, and Kolo was immense. Good games for Aspas and Coutinho too, Hendo deserves a mention too.

However, our Belgian keeper gets my vote for the penalty save and blocking the follow up effort. He was nervy in the 1st half, but thats to be expected. When the pen was conceded I knew Migno would save it, something which I never really had with Pepe.

Great win though and how it remained 1-0 was down to Stoke's excellent goalkeeper. Thoroughly enjoyable game!

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Could have been anyone of half a dozen players. We didn't really have a poor performance from anyone.

Gave it Mignolet because he recovered from a nervy start to win us the game.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Think everyone rated at either 6-7 out of 10. Maybe Agger gets a 5

Mignolet made a few gaffs in the first half though he did make up for it later so will give it to Sturridge as the winner deserved to win any game. Edges Coutinho who coped pretty well with some physical treatment

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
I voted Sturridge. After a none-existant pre-season, and having only played 3 games since injury, and all this week, I think he played remarkably well. He scored the important goal as well.

Honourable mentions to Coutinho, who I think is a little magician, and Lucas who looks much more like his old self and who I thought played very well. Alos made a very important goal line clearance.

i know Mignolet saved the penalty but he was a very poor first half, flapping at a couple of crosses, and almost getting caught in possession by Walters.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I think Coutinho was the unsung hero of that game. Kicked from the first challenge, if you can call it that, more like ran through. He could have bottled it and shirked it after that, but was really our outlet ball all afternoon. To that he kept running Stoke and causing them problems and keeping the pressure up. So for me:

1. Countinho

Mentions for Sturridge and Mignolet.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
It had to be mino!, fucking brilliant, made our day, you know it was extra special when the team hugged him. Aspas was brilliant, coutinho as usual brilliant. Glenno for me was out freaking standing! gosh, the runs, the interception the dribbling. I cant point out one single player who didn't perform. I felt sturridge was a bit casual after scoring. But its ok! 3points, great start, come on lads, more of the same!

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Mino gets me vote. Made some super saves in both halves of the game to give us the win. We did not completely dominate midfield with Nzonzi making it hard for us. So many chances created but the finish was sometimes not enuff to beat Bergovic at goal. Hence Sturridge would be me close second with the sweet strike of his.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I gave it to coutinho, every time that kid touches the ball things happen, it changes the complexion of the game, immediately putting stoke on the back foot.

I can accept he would not get the champers from most peoples point of view. But from overall impact on the game, he's the one for me.

I do have to ask though, why levia is getting so much love, I watched the full game and still just can't see it, I see a footballer playing quite well, but again, continuing to defer responsibility when in possession and some reasonably silly fouls......

I can accept that being at the game might give you a different perspective of his off the ball work. Watching from the couch though, I just think the LL love in continues to be way over the top.

R

RedRiot

redbj said:
I gave it to coutinho, every time that kid touches the ball things happen, it changes the complexion of the game, immediately putting stoke on the back foot.

I can accept he would not get the champers from most peoples point of view. But from overall impact on the game, he's the one for me.

I do have to ask though, why levia is getting so much love, I watched the full game and still just can't see it, I see a footballer playing quite well, but again, continuing to defer responsibility when in possession and some reasonably silly fouls......

I can accept that being at the game might give you a different perspective of his off the ball work. Watching from the couch though, I just think the LL love in continues to be way over the top.
Lucas was immense. He was constantly pressing, particularly in the first half. His work rate off the ball was incredible and he allowed us to regain possession countless times high up the pitch. Of course, it wasn't just him, but he was the primary force breaking up a lot of Stoke's breaks and attempted moves out of their own half. Compare that to Gerrard (who did a very good job dictating play with the ball) who sat deeper than Lucas for much of the game and didn't press nearly as much. Both played an important role in the way we played. Plus, Lucas made some very nice passes of his own. Our midfield was on top for 75% of the game and Lucas was the primary reason. The fouls he conceded pale in comparison to the number of times he successfully dispossessed a Stoke player, or forced a Stoke player into a situation where he was dispossessed. If you're mostly watching the ball, you're not going to see what Lucas is doing, because you're probably not paying attention to which player is doing the closing down. But in today's match, Lucas was relentless. As the poster above said, he looked like the Lucas of mid 2011-2012 again.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Interesting points, can I ask, we're you at the game or on the couch?

I think he was higher up the pitch, and pressing very very well, but closing down players does not a man of the match make to me.

Am hoping this convo doesn't degrade into a 2009 style Lucas debate.

Again, played well, as did everyone just about, but I'm not sure if I can use the 'awesome' or 'immense' moniker for the performance.

R

RedRiot

I was on the couch. I guess a match-goer could chime in, but the fact that we didn't give them time to breathe on the ball for the opening half hour was largely because of Lucas. I could see that as I watched.

Rastafenian

Hello to everyone, long long time reader, finally signed up to comment as I feel positive about this current season and the direction the club is going.

As a goalkeeper myself my vote goes to Simon Mignolet. Loved how he imposed himself in goal while waiting for the peno. Fair do's he flapped early but you dont get bigger than butterflies than on debut at Anfield.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
RedRiot said:
I was on the couch. I guess a match-goer could chime in, but the fact that we didn't give them time to breathe on the ball for the opening half hour was largely because of Lucas. I could see that as I watched.
Lucas was literally everywhere and broke up move after move of Stoke's and pushed them into the Stoke of old later on into the match, he also passes us out at the back a hell of a lot better than he has in the past (something I noticed in pre season).

I do tend to agree with most no one really played badly bar the silly Agger mistake at the end and most chances were unlucky to be saved.

It's certaintly how we should approach each and every game, somedays it just won't happen but 9/10 it will.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Lucas was great today and fully deserves the MOTM. Was surprised that he wasn't singled out on match of the day for his performance, but there you go...

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
craig bellamy's golf club said:
Lucas was great today and fully deserves the MOTM. Was surprised that he wasn't singled out on match of the day for his performance, but there you go...
Not surprising actually. The DM holding role is the most undervalued one in football. You very rarely, if at all, see YouTube comps of great interceptions, tackles etc. Goals, assists, saves, any amount, but tackles - no.

It's a vital role, but it's not eye-catching. Take Lucas out of the team and you could drive a bus through our midfield. :rolleyes:

Clive

Sturridge looked sharp and MoTM for me.

I agree Lucas was good and did the hard work well with minimal fuss. He was my other consideration.

Surprised so many have voted Mignolet, as he looked vulnerable at times today. Hopefully that save kick starts his LFC career as I said in the other thread.