• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

MOTM vs Stoke City (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 51 31.3%
  • Glen Johnson

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Kolo Toure

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Daniel Agger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jose Enrique

• Lucas Leiva

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Iago Aspas

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • Raheem Sterling

• Total voters

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Mignolet made some basic errors and was unconvincing and nervy. Don't think he deserves MOTM despite the glorious penalty save.

The captain was good but misplaced a number of passes.

Toure was immense and hugely impressive as was Sturridge.

But my MOTM and our main man was undoubtably Lucas.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Gave it to Lucas, back to the Lucas of old today,great to see.

Plenty of other contenders though.

R

RedRiot

During the match, Enrique apart, I would have said Sturridge was our weakest player. He scored a great goal of course and that's what he's there to do, so you can't fault that. I did think (like he said in the post-match interview) that he didn't have the right boots on in the first half, so he was often where our attacks went to die because he couldn't maintain his footing. He also said he wasn't 100%, which I would agree with. To me he looked very much out of sync with the rest of the attack, often pulling out wide or dropping deep at the wrong time. I expected him to come off and Aspas to move centrally, but I think Sturridge was left on for his potential to hold the ball up, but I don't think he did that very well. None of this is a criticism of him as much as an observation because, aside from the boot issue which should have been addressed before halftime, the rest is all down to the short time he's had since coming back from injury and being back training with the team. I would imagine he'll look significantly better next week, and if we end up playing more on the counter against Villa, he and Coutinho might strike up that special relationship we saw last season.

My honorable mentions for MOTM (after Lucas) would be Henderson, Aspas and Toure. Mignolet was the Man of that Moment, but like others said, he looked understandably nervy for the first half hour or so and struggled with balls in the air.

Lalo

Exciting times ahead if Coutinho can keep on feeding our strikers like that. Probably not the MOTM but I could not help voting for him. Lucas and Gerrard were solid in midfield, but I can't wait to see how they will perform under pressure from better opposition. Kolo showed his quality, solid at the back, and he deserved a goal for his attacking performance but I hope he does not make those runs all season.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I chose Mignolet because of the psychological impact his double save could have on our early season, but there could be four or five players deserving the honors.

Kolo was great at the back and would have deserved a goal, Sturridge's shot was great and he looks definitely on the right way back, Coutinho was superb to watch, although a bit wasteful at times, Aspas had an impressive first game, Lucas looks back at his best alongside Gerrard's dominating presence, Henderson looked very promising etc. etc.

All in all, for me it's the whole team which gets MOTM, as ideally, it always should be.

MCS68

TIA New Signing
Continuo for me, the vision and technique he shows is unbelievable. He was being kicked from pillar to post yet never rushed into passes, didn't over react to the challenges being made and squared up to N,Zonzi(?)

Only negative definitely once chance to pass for a clear chance and shot instead, however, if it had of gone in I'd having been raving about it

artanisknarf

Everyone did well I must say.
Lucas edged it for me as he seemed he had the crazy back, the "none shall pass" attitude. Can see him and Cou getting into the Brazil squad.
Henderson impressed. He is not going anywhere, but Brazil.
Simon was quite good once he forgot the nerves. Massive saves. Very few keepers, maybe not eve Begovic can pull a save on Walters first half shot. That's a goal 95% of the time.
Aspas I like.
Toure just massive.
Agger good but tried to pull a Skrtel there at the end.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
Good allround display of the lads.

Lucas, Toure, Coutinho, Aspas, Henderson and Sturridge was all impreesive, but I will give my wote to Kolo Toure!
Great signing!

Mignolet was the man of the moment. but had nerves in the start of the game.- so he wont get the man of the match - but he won us two Points.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Difficult to vote a man of the match when the team won the game. Nobody stood out massively, just everyone working together as a unit.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Coutinho for me, he's on another level. Fantastic playmaker.
Mignolet deserve praise too, he won us the three points in the end. We should have lead by three by then, Almost screw it all up with the pen but then he stepped up, loved the way he jumped and punched the bar up to the kick, and the way the team celebrated him when he pulled that double save, that was the highlight of the game for me.

Bleeding Red

TIA Squad Member
Impressive all the way through the team on Saturday. The midfield looks well balanced, as did the attacking three. Arguably, it looked better balanced with Aspas, Sturridge and Coutinho than it does with Suarez. Food for thought. I'd go for Lucas though. He was crucial in pulling the strings and setting the tempo from the base of the midfield today. Honourable mention to Stevie G in that department as well.

gr_sounder

I'm just glad this is back the way it should be... with multiple players with games that could be worthy of being MOTM.

For me... it was a choice between
Sturridge: who I thought did a lot well and created a lot of chances (basically not just because he scored)
Mignolet: who was dodgy at times, but came through when we needed him the most
Lucas: who I thought was a controlling factor in the game throughout

In the end, I went with Lucas... possibly because I have a soft spot in my heart for those who go out there and do the grunt work that doesn't show up in the highlight films, but is often more important to the entire game than those flashes of brilliance... and on this day Lucas was excellent throughout.

YNWAGerrard

I picked sturridge on this one even though i think everyone played exceptionally well.
Simply because he virtually had no pre-season and and came out and scored an absolute cracker! He also played the full 90 mins which surprised me :)

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Coutinho for my MOTM (I still can't spell his name though without googling it)