• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs Sunderland (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Martin Skrtel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daniel Agger

• Glen Johnson

• Steven Gerrard

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Jordan Henderson

• Joe Allen

• Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Philippe Coutinho

Votes: 45 61.6%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Raheem Sterling (for Sturridge 77')

• Total voters

LFC7NH

Coutinho MOTM for me. Until 20 minutes to go almost all the attacks were flowing through him.

Current MOTM Table through Cardiff Game:

Points column = 5 points for most votes in a match, 3 points for second most votes in a match, 1 point for third most votes in a match
Total votes = Total number of man of the match votes received

lovepool

No real stanout performance with Skrtel Coutinho and Suarez doing well. I gave it to Gerrard who broke the deadlock and dictated play well and his pass to Suarez was sublime

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
There is a case for Coutinho, as his creativity was the crucial element to go past this stubborn Sunderland team.

But on the basis of his overall game, and his goal, I give it to Gerrard. A real leader on the pitch, and a great dominating midfield performance.

Bobbinho

Has to be Gerrard for me, unlocked the game with that free kick, up to that point the game was becoming a tad frustrating to say the least...., significant goal, drove us forward, was disciplined & the long pass to Suarez was incredible....

MOTM performance.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Gerrard for me also, someone touched on it in the match thread - he was a real vocal leader, something we've not really seen before. Good time to be improving in this area.

Coutinho did well however he didn't start turning it on until the second half for me...Gerrard was ever present.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Coutinho for me. Generally speaking I thought it was a more or less solid performance from everyone, but in the second half he was our creative spark and the one who stood out. Skrtel had a good game as well.

koptician

We'll go again!
norwegian wood said:
Coutinho for me. Generally speaking I thought it was a more or less solid performance from everyone, but in the second half he was our creative spark and the one who stood out. Skrtel had a good game as well.
Don't forget, it was his pass that set Luis free and the foul (for which there should have been a red card) from which Stevie scored. First half.

LFC7NH

brightonpete said:
It was between coutinho and suarez for me,went with Phil cos i haven't given him a vote for an age,and there was a hot Brazilian girl at the bar.
As good a reason as any! lol

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
There is a case for Coutinho, as his creativity was the crucial element to go past this stubborn Sunderland team.

But on the basis of his overall game, and his goal, I give it to Gerrard. A real leader on the pitch, and a great dominating midfield performance.
Not only the breakthrough goal but the way he drove the players on from start to finish - he showed in the final 15 minutes of the game how instrumental he is to the team. This season is so important for the club, nobody gets that more than Steven Gerrard and he is putting it into effect on the pitch.

He is without doubt the best player, everything taken into account, the club has ever had, and that is saying something when you think of the greats that have once been part of the LFC family.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Oh captain, my captain.

My MOTM not for his goal, but mainly for the last 15 minutes. Kept cool, guided and lead the team, he was the one that got the team through where usually we got shafted, and managed not to get a yellow card while doing so.

Interesting, Gerrard has had more MOTM performances since he moved to the holding position than in the start of the season. I guess you can lock that thread now.

Herb

I went for Coutinho. Don't think anybody really stood out but the way he finished the first half and started the second set the tone for our win.

BrennansRed

Tough call between Gerrard and Coutinho.. Went for Cou in the end he stepped up well and against a seriously parked bus his creativity still shined through.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Coutinho for me. Gerrard was actually very ineffective defensively. Good free kick though

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Coutinho or Gerrard - but I went for Coutinho. Some of his little bits of trickery to find himself half a yard were incredible. I'd love to see one of those Mostar compilations of him.

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
Yep, Coutinho. Despite the lad really needing some time on the training pitch practicing his shooting.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
LFC7NH said:
Coutinho MOTM for me. Until 20 minutes to go almost all the attacks were flowing through him.

Current MOTM Table through Cardiff Game:

Points column = 5 points for most votes in a match, 3 points for second most votes in a match, 1 point for third most votes in a match
Total votes = Total number of man of the match votes received
Interesting that Coutinho has 120 votes but only 4 points?

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
Coutinho for me.

Really needs to work on his shooting though but he makes up for that with creating chances and his passing.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Gerrard for me, his leadership was crucial in a game where it seemed to be needed, not to mention that pretty decent goal!

spizfromoz

Coutinho defined the creativity of this side in this game. Fact is, we have the players to unpick a side that in the past might have won or taken points because they needed them in a relegation battle. Coutinho also makes me think we have more than 11 first 11 players in the side now. If we build on this for next season, we'll do well again.
God that feels good to write. :)

LFC7NH

Dublin_Kopite said:
Interesting that Coutinho has 120 votes but only 4 points?
Yup bit of an anomaly there. He's gotten the 3rd most votes on 4 occasions so far. Looks like he'll get a few more points after this match though. ;)

Zoran

Coutinho was our best player in the second half when it looked like we had more spaces, first one he was not as good (went a bit missing off the ball if we're talking about details). Gerrard tried to be calm and clever and kept that throughout the game, was in the right places a couple of times when it was nervy. But I'll go Coutinho.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Am I the only one who thought Gerrard faded away with 20 mins to go??

I thought he disappeared and around that time of dominant spell from Sudnerland he as nowhere to be seen really.

Coutino MOM for me with Suarez a close second. Gerrard was quality in the first half.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Coutinho for me too, agree that Gerrard seemed much more subdued and our entire midfield was generally less aggressive on the tackle - might have to do with the yellow card situation.

I thought we were strongest straight down the middle of the pitch (if you think of the strikers operating wider). Coutinho for me was our best player, almost never lost the ball and popped up in the right places in both attack and defence. Agger and Skrtel were also imperious; the conceded goal cannot be put on them and they dealt with everything that was thrown their way. Gerrard too was effective, though quiet at times; kept things ticking and that's what you'd expect from that position with the ball.

Reactions: bes