• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

MOTM vs West Brom (H)

Who's your MOTM?

• Simon Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glen Johnson

• Martin Skrtel

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mamadou Sakho

• Kolo Toure

• Aly Cissokho

• Steven Gerrard

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Luis Suarez

Votes: 118 81.9%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Lucas Leiva

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Daniel Sturridge

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Martin Kelly (for Johnson 62')

• Joe Allen (for Gerrard 86')

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Luis Alberto (for Suarez 89')

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Suarez, obviously.
Skrtel was solid throughout too.

Edit:- Just voted and saw the 4 votes for Lucas.
:)

R

RedRiot

I voted for Lucas only because Suarez was so obvious and he'll win anyway. Lucas was the next best, and performed better than Henderson did against Palace, when everyone was raving about him, so it seems strange to dismiss him when if he'd been wearing a 'Henderson' kit he'd be mentioned in nearly every post.

Suarez was brilliant. He's clearly elite even in the category of world class players and it's a shame we're not going to be able to hold onto him beyond this summer. At least we'll get a shedload of cash and hopefully replace him with someone like Costa. Shame he didn't score that overhead, would have really cemented the performance in lore.

RedRiot said:
I voted for Lucas only because Suarez was so obvious and he'll win anyway. Lucas was the next best, and performed better than Henderson did against Palace, when everyone was raving about him, so it seems strange to dismiss him when if he'd been wearing a 'Henderson' kit he'd be mentioned in nearly every post.

Suarez was brilliant. He's clearly elite even in the category of world class players and it's a shame we're not going to be able to hold onto him beyond this summer. At least we'll get a shedload of cash and hopefully replace him with someone like Costa. Shame he didn't score that overhead, would have really cemented the performance in lore.
But the title of this thread is Man of the Match vs West Brom. It's not asking about the 2nd best player.

Sure you have every right to praise Lucas (as I thought he did well too) but in my opinion there is no question that Suarez was the best player on the pitch yesterday and deserves the vote.

R

RedRiot

liverpool_singh said:
But the title of this thread is Man of the Match vs West Brom. It's not asking about the 2nd best player.

Sure you have every right to praise Lucas (as I thought he did well too) but in my opinion there is no question that Suarez was the best player on the pitch yesterday and deserves the vote.
I guess I'll keep in mind to toe the party line then next time?

Nah, I loved Suarez's performance, but our midfield was what won the game, particularly the shape. Give credit to Brendan - or Lucas, who performed best as part of it.

These are rarely unanimous, so I'll stick by my vote. I seem to not be the only one.

RedRiot said:
I guess I'll keep in mind to toe the party line then next time?

Nah, I loved Suarez's performance, but our midfield was what won the game, particularly the shape. Give credit to Brendan - or Lucas, who performed best as part of it.

These are rarely unanimous, so I'll stick by my vote. I seem to not be the only one.
No you just have to toe to the point of this thread. The midfield may have performed very well but no one out of Lucas/Gerrard/Hendo stood out above any other (and yet Gerrard and Hendo combined have not received a single vote yet).

Honestly before I even opened this thread I knew how the votes were going to pan out. It seems to me that some of Lucas's most ardent supporters are so hard headed about supporting him that anytime he has a decent/good performance they feel the need to vote for him above anyone else.

You hardly ever see that for other players in the squad.

R

RedRiot

liverpool_singh said:
No you just have to toe to the point of this thread. The midfield may have performed very well but no one out of Lucas/Gerrard/Hendo stood out above any other (and yet Gerrard and Hendo combined have not received a single vote yet).

Honestly before I even opened this thread I knew how the votes were going to pan out. It seems to me that some of Lucas's most ardent supporters are so hard headed about supporting him that anytime he has a decent/good performance they feel the need to vote for him above anyone else.

You hardly ever see that for other players in the squad.
So you're saying these things are always unanimous? When Sturridge scored and assisted two goals that won us the game against Palace, he won MOTM unanimously? Or was it Henderson, whose performance was actually not on par with Lucas's today?

You know, it is possible to have a reasoned opinion on Lucas and his level of performance that doesn't involve boosterism. He was great today. Like I said, people raved about Henderson when he wasn't as good against a much poorer side. I don't see why one can't reasonably hold that Lucas was our best player today. He was heavily involved in all of it, from defense to offense. Most passes, most tackles, most interceptions, joint-most long balls completed. He was immense. Best midfield performance of the season probably.

Next time there's a unanimous vote in one of these things, be sure to PM me. And find out who the other people are who are voting incorrectly and let them know what's required of them.

RedRiot said:
So you're saying these things are always unanimous? When Sturridge scored two goals that won us the game against Palace, he won MOTM unanimously? Or was it Henderson, whose performance was actually not on par with Lucas's.

You know, it is possible to have a reasoned opinion on Lucas and his level of performance that doesn't involve boosterism. He was great today. Like I said, people raved about Henderson when he wasn't as good against a much poorer side. I don't see why one can't reasonably hold that Lucas was our best player today. He was heavily involved in all of it, from defense to offense. Most passes, most tackles, most interceptions, joint-most long balls completed. He was immense. Best midfield performance of the season probably.

Next time there's a unanimous vote in one of these things, be sure to PM me.
No it doesn't have to be unanimous but this game was as close to being unanimous as it could be. What I am 100% sure of though is that it certainly wasn't a 2 man race between Suarez and Lucas as it's panning out to be in this thread. Suarez was heads and shoulders above any other player on the pitch with others like Sturridge, Gerrard, Lucas, Hendo etc also playing well but at a similar level. However, there are 6 votes for Lucas so far and 0 votes for the rest of the players combined (besides Suarez). Something doesn't seem right to me.

R

RedRiot

I think you'll find across various other platforms (not just on this insulated little world) that Lucas is being pretty roundly praised for his performance. There's no real mystery to be solved. But yeah, Lucas had his best game of the season (and the best of any midfielder probably) so there must be something afoot.

Maybe wait until more than 20 people have voted to decide if there's a conspiracy. I mean, even Johnny T. has admitted he was very good yesterday. Surely that's evidence enough that he's good enough for a few votes.

I've seen people routinely say in these things, "So-and-so was great, but I had to go for..." and never be pulled up for it. Why now that I decided to do the same am I being called out? Are you even a moderator or just someone who likes to dictate what people should think?

I really don't understand what the obsession is on this site with turning everything into a Lucas debate. So I rated Lucas. It's the first time this season, since Stoke at least, that I've voted for him. I thought he was great. That's it. Someone probably loved Skrtel's performance and will vote for him. Same for Gerrard and Henderson. I think Lucas is getting votes right now because he was very good. We can (and obviously do) all have different opinions. I personally will carry on with my right to express mine.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
I feel sick
For the record, Lucas was excellent yesterday, aside from the penalty, but NOT man of the match.............obviously

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
I went for our world class Luis for this one. Easy choice.

Special mentions to Sturridge Gerard and Lucas.

Poorest was hendo unfortunately.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Has to be Luis but good to see Lucas playing so well also.
Quite a few good performances, hope they can all keep it up.

TBFS

Suarez was undoubtably MOTM. Half the squad put in MOTM performances on a normal day but yesterday wasn't normal, it was a "Mr Crazy Masterclass" Well done Luis, please stay but please also stop the insanity.

kwala

TIA Regular
Suarez. Sensational. He actually seems to be better this season!! I didn't think that was possible after the season he had last year!!

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Suarez was man of the match. Lucas played very well, his best in a long time. But he wasn't man of the match.

Anyone still want to rename Suarez " The Cunt" on the site?? Thought not.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
kwala said:
Suarez. Sensational. He actually seems to be better this season!! I didn't think that was possible after the season he had last year!!
I think it helps when he has someone he can work along side and share that goal scoring burden. Some may say our midfield won the game, but with Sturridge on a hot streak, defenders will be wary of him. 4 players can't keep 2 super quality strikers at bay. He has more freedom and less bodies to fend off. Hence he looked good. Sturridge presence helps a lot.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Just a pedantic little question Red Riot. You have a tenner to spend on a bet, in a race where there is a serious clear favourite. Do you A) back the fav and win some money, or B) back your favourite horse who clearly won't win, but who deserves your loyalty anyway?

WrongIslander

Johnny T. said:
Just a pedantic little question Red Riot. You have a tenner to spend on a bet, in a race where there is a serious clear favourite. Do you A) back the fav and win some money, or B) back your favourite horse who clearly won't win, but who deserves your loyalty anyway?
Just because the horse is favourite it will win? Someone better tell the horses that.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
........and yet another thread descends into a 'love him, hate him, just don't ignore him' Lucas debate :)

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Wrongislander, you are a child. You don't understand the analogy in the question so stay out of it.

WrongIslander

Johnny T. said:
Wrongislander, you are a child. You don't understand the analogy in the question so stay out of it.
I understand it perfectly, you gave a shit analogy.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Poor little Wrongislander. Stay out of it please. Question was to RedRiot, in a rhetorical manner, you failed to understand it that's all. Maybe Postman Pat is on the telly, that should suit you better than listening to the adults talking.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Must admit, I find it difficult to see past luis