Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Allen (for Gerrard 86')

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Luis Alberto (for Suarez 89')

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Yes, speaking of Sturridge, I'm surprised he doesn't take more free kicks. That effort just needed a touch to end up in the net. We don't have too many left footed free-kick takers, so he ought to be looking to put in those inswingers from tight angles more often. Some might go untouched and nestle into the far corner.

And his shot that nearly broke the bar was absolutely outrageous. You could tell he was desperate to get on the score sheet, and just before he scored what was perhaps the goal of the game (which is saying a lot given the quality of Suarez's first), I was about to say "come on Daniel, don't be greedy, pass the ball"! He sure shut me up!!

To think he has that sort of finesse in his finishes in addition to the power he gets in his shots. He really has the potential to be an immense striker for us if he keeps this sort of form going. An absolute joy to watch.

R

RedRiot

alphakilo said:
I voted Suarez.

RedRiot, I understand why you feel Lucas is hard done by on these boards, but surely if you admit that you're "only voting for Lucas because Suarez is so obvious" while also stating that Lucas was "next best" after Suarez, you should be voting Suarez? Not because everyone's voting for him, but because you yourself said he was even better than Lucas?

I mean, I understand the motivation, but trying to restore the balance on Lucas in this vote will only fuel the fires. Be true to yourself man, you don't have to let stuff get to you so much.

Then again, if you re-watched the game and felt Lucas was even better than Suarez, I respect your opinion. (but cannot agree on this occasion :D)
I just saw this. I see people say this in MOTM threads every week. That one player was clearly superior, but they're giving it to another player because of x, y or z. I just don't understand why it's different for Lucas. I didn't make special point of emphasizing that he showed his critics or anything. I just praised the player and thought he was instrumental in the result and the performance. He was immense. If Suarez didn't get the third goal (even though it was the least spectacular) I'm not sure he's seen as the universal MOTM, particularly since Daniel had a lovely goal as well. People like to vote for goalscorers when we score a lot and that makes sense, but I think Lucas deserved a vote and I'm clearly not alone.

Anyway, I deleted my vote for him and gave it to Martin Kelly. It makes a lot less sense but for some bizarre reason I'm sure it's a lot less controversial. Hope Martin personally gets back to his best and starts getting time with us. Maybe yesterday was the beginning of that.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
Agreed.

p.s: it's double t.
(And no, not TTeteh or Tetehtt or some other clever variation :D)
I've given up on correcting people calling me Mascott. I think it's a condition of membership here that the ’T' on your keyboard has to be sticky.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
RedRiot said:
I just saw this. I see people say this in MOTM threads every week. That one player was clearly superior, but they're giving it to another player because of x, y or z. I just don't understand why it's different for Lucas. I didn't make special point of emphasizing that he showed his critics or anything. I just praised the player and thought he was instrumental in the result and the performance. He was immense. If Suarez didn't get the third goal (even though it was the least spectacular) I'm not sure he's seen as the universal MOTM, particularly since Daniel had a lovely goal as well. People like to vote for goalscorers when we score a lot and that makes sense, but I think Lucas deserved a vote and I'm clearly not alone.

Anyway, I deleted my vote for him and gave it to Martin Kelly. It makes a lot less sense but for some bizarre reason I'm sure it's a lot less controversial. Hope Martin personally gets back to his best and starts getting time with us. Maybe yesterday was the beginning of that.
Why did you change your vote? It's a forum - don't let random people you may never ever meet affect you so much.

That aside I do agree with you re the outcome of this vote if Suarez didn't score the hat-trick. Goals loom large in people's mind. He scored a hat-trick! Which just has a certain ring to it - and you get the match ball! how can you not be MOTM if they gave you the ball? Does a DM/defender/keeper ever get the match ball? A 'keeper could save 5 penalties and doesn't automatically keep the ball. A defender could eat the opponent's world class striker but he won't get the match ball. Makelele had a position named after him - but he never got to keep a match ball, despite being crucial in many wins.

That bias naturally affects how people vote. (How many defenders or DMs ever win WPOY?).
We love to see goals - it's obvious how talented a guy is when he scores for fun and does it with flair and finesse. The work of a DM is less glamorous, less obviously worthy of an ovation, and much harder to appreciate without some tactical understanding. I personally think Michael Carrick is horribly over-rated, but the role he plays for UTD is huge. (I just think there are several better DMs/deep-lying playmakers out there than Carrick - he's just the best England has so he gets overhyped).

Anyway - going off tangent. If whoever made the poll didn't want to give people the option to vote for anyone but Suarez (that would have been funny actually!), they wouldn't have listed all the players. You're within your rights to vote for whoeverthef*ck you want to. Don't let people get to you.

Reactions: bes
R

RedRiot

It's not a big deal, it's all "academic" anyway as there's only one winner. Martin needs some support from the internet. I'm still surprised Alberto got two votes and my vote for Lucas was the one that created a stir. He's a fantastic player, but I'm not sure he even touched the ball! :lol:

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Johnny T. said:
Suarez was man of the match. Lucas played very well, his best in a long time. But he wasn't man of the match.

Anyone still want to rename Suarez " The Cunt" on the site?? Thought not.
To be fair, he's still a fucked up in the head selfish shithouse............................................but for now he's our fucked up in the head selfish shithouse.

Let's not pretend he's not plotting his move to nicer climes next summer, but be thankful that by banging in the goals he'll increase the transfer fee we'll receive for him

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Gave it to Suarez, but the midfield played so well today and defenders having to to pay attention to Sturridge as well, really points out that it was a team effort.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Dane said:
To be fair, he's still a fucked up in the head selfish shithouse............................................but for now he's our fucked up in the head selfish shithouse.

Let's not pretend he's not plotting his move to nicer climes next summer, but be thankful that by banging in the goals he'll increase the transfer fee we'll receive for him
But Dane, we're all selfish in the head selfish shithouses. I'm planning to write an article for the site on the topic of how hypocritical our hatred of players who want out is when we frequently show players who aren't good enough little to no respect, some call the names, some say they don't deserve to wear the shirt, and when they're sold, some say "good riddance" etc. The club similarly doesn't bat an eyelid when we get rid of players who are deemed inferior to LFC standard, and we cancel contracts and sell players as we see fit. As fans, we have no problem with this. Why should we be all up in arms when a 26 year old player decides he wishes to play at a higher level than we can offer him? If we can callously get rid of players who we deem are surplus to requirements, why are we so sensitive when a player deems us below the level they wish to play for?

We only have to think of the way various former players have been treated: from Djimi Traore, Jan Kromkamp, and Voronin to even the manner in which Pepe Reina's was shamelessly shipped out by the club, having to hear it from Napoli that we had agreed to loan him out. Reina's treatment was a departure from how we typically treat good players, but the way we fans mock and insult weaker players gives us no right to take the moral high ground when a world class player decides he's better than the level we are playing at and deserves to play in the Champions' league.

I was as angry as any of us when Suarez was pouting and disrespecting his teammates (and the shirt) by not celebrating his goals and playing in a half-arsed manner in Australia. I was just as frustrated to hear him moaning to the press about his "exit clause" not being honored and the gentleman's agreement he had with the club being dishonored, and even furious when he went so far as seeking an outside 3rd party to opine on the clause in question in his contract. But if we take off our red-tinted glasses for just a second, and imagine ourselves as an immensely talented player in a foreign country with a contract written in, say, Portuguese which our agent informs us has a release clause, and we believe (wrongly) that the club has agreed to sell if we fail to qualify for the Champions' League, it's then a little easier to understand how frustrated and annoyed he was - he genuinely felt he had been lied to, deceived and mistreated. And many of us would act out of anger and frustration if we felt deceived, mistreated and lied to.

One thing we'd probably all agree about Suarez is he wears his heart on his sleeve. He doesn't hide how he feels. And he felt deceived. Whether that was his agent's fault or the club's fault or just a case of important details lost in translation, we'll never know. But if you or I felt as mistreated as he felt, we may react similarly or worse.

Suarez is a raw natural force of nature. He's unfiltered. So perhaps we shouldn't have been surprised.

Anyway, in professional sport, everyone has to be selfish. The club and the players. I'm glad the club told him tough luck and forced him to honor his contract. But my takeaway from it was just a reminder that there is really no loyalty in football. The club shows no loyalty to players who aren't good, and top players show no loyalty to clubs who aren't as good as the player's ambitions. We fans also show no loyalty to players we deem aren't good enough to wear the shirt, so we shouldn't jump on some moral high ground when the shoe is on the other foot.

And for all the folks who will talk of the club showing Luis loyalty during his two suspensions, ask yourself if it was Pennant who had bitten someone or Voronin who had been accused of racist speech, would any of us have jumped to their defense? Would the team be wearing t-shirts with their pictures on them? If you really believe the answer to either of those questions is "yes", then I have a $billion dollars from a dead Nigerian politician's stash, locked in a swiss account and I just need you to send me your bank account information so I can send it over to you and we can split it 50/50.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Dane said:

Oh, and I'm actually hoping we get to the CL (or miraculously win the league) and he decides to stay!
I can imagine a few big signings next Summer, possibly one or two good additions in January, convincing him that we have the potential to do really well in the CL next year. And if he continues to enjoy his football and his partnership with Sturridge continues to flourish or even finds a new gear once Coutinho returns, perhaps he'll see no reason to jump ship.

lovepool

Dane said:

So are you praising him or criticising him?

Or is it more comedy gold?

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
It just shows how peop-le see things differently, rightly or wrongly.

For me Henderson was our worst player without being too bad. He was poor imo without stinking the place out. But yet he has two votes on here for being Man of the Match!!

if scoring a hat trick and hitting the bar doesn't get a white wash MoM nomination on here then I don't know what will!

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
No brainer this one... Allen, clearly.

WellRedKev said:
It just shows how peop-le see things differently, rightly or wrongly.

For me Henderson was our worst player without being too bad. He was poor imo without stinking the place out. But yet he has two votes on here for being Man of the Match!!

if scoring a hat trick and hitting the bar doesn't get a white wash MoM nomination on here then I don't know what will!
He even won the praises from Owen and Hansen. Sure, he misplaced some passes late on but his work rate to win the ball back was excellent as per usual.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
It's all subjective. Loyalty to favoured players outweighing honest appraisal. Suarez was man of the match, blinkered to see it any other way.

But hey, it's all about opinions.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
I just don't see the issue here. Clearly Suarez was the man of the match, anyone can see that, and clearly he's going to win, but nobody should be telling anybody else who to vote for.

Perhaps Gerrard and Hendo got votes in light of Funguson's comments?
Perhaps other players got votes for successful returns from injury?
Perhaps people just really love Lucas?

Just vote for whoever you want, justify your own vote if you like, but don't try and dictate who others should vote for and REALLY don't get upset if someone votes for someone you don't think they should. I would be willing to bet that many on here actually get less involved when it comes to deciding who should run the country.

RedLaw

JFT96
Christ, judging by some of these reactions you'd think someone had said they didn't think Suarez was a top top player...

Suarez was my MOTM, but Lucas showed he was back to his best and totally bossed the midfield. Don't see a problem with voting for either of them. Think there's far more important things to get upset over than an internet poll which will be forgotten about by next week.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Quagmire81 said:
Suarez by a landslide... Anyone voting for anyone else, should take a long look at themselves in the mirror, seriously.
I voted for Suarez myself, as he's the obvious choice, but your second sentence is unnecessarily dismissive. Everyone has a right to his own opinion without having to endure that kind of jibes.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
The funny thing about Suarez scoring goal... is Sturridge just found the need to push on that extra to worthy of SAS. He wasted a lot of chances, but admittedly was clipped too many time around the box, hit the bar one before finally have a sublime goal.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
RedLaw said:
Christ, judging by some of these reactions you'd think someone had said they didn't think Suarez was a top top player...

Suarez was my MOTM, but Lucas showed he was back to his best and totally bossed the midfield. Don't see a problem with voting for either of them. Think there's far more important things to get upset over than an internet poll which will be forgotten about by next week.
You'd think that's what happen eh.....

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I voted for Allen as a protest against tactical voting :p.

Its a simple thing MOM poll, lets not skew results by voting for your 2nd or 3rd choice. I have no problem with people voting for their first choice (if they believe it was Lucas), but if people are purposely trying to manipulate the result (against their own footballing opinion) how can it be described as anything but agenda driven ?

It puts a completely different slant on things he people start voting tactically.

Lets say hypothetically Gerrard was my MOM, but viewing the results its a two horse race between Henderson and Lucas. Would it be right for me to vote for Lucas to help him win ?

Yes politically people do vote for those that are not their first choice, but what is their motivation ? Typically its as protest (Monster Raving Loony Party), to prevent another from winning (eg voting Labour at next election,even if values are Lib Dem to block conservative government), or to help try make a statement (Green party).

Lets keep it simple, and vote honestly.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
all too easy to pick luis because of the hat trick etc etc but i go for his strike partner englands number 1 striker danny sturridge, his movement and vision are a delight to watch and his goal was reminiscent of KD at his best. one of the best bargains we have ever signed.......

i_still_miss_fowler said:
I voted for Allen as a protest against tactical voting :p.

Its a simple thing MOM poll, lets not skew results by voting for your 2nd or 3rd choice. I have no problem with people voting for their first choice (if they believe it was Lucas), but if people are purposely trying to manipulate the result (against their own footballing opinion) how can it be described as anything but agenda driven ?

It puts a completely different slant on things he people start voting tactically.

Lets say hypothetically Gerrard was my MOM, but viewing the results its a two horse race between Henderson and Lucas. Would it be right for me to vote for Lucas to help him win ?

Yes politically people do vote for those that are not their first choice, but what is their motivation ? Typically its as protest (Monster Raving Loony Party), to prevent another from winning (eg voting Labour at next election,even if values are Lib Dem to block conservative government), or to help try make a statement (Green party).

Lets keep it simple, and vote honestly.
I think you have summed up the point I was initially trying to make perfectly. The thread question is a simple on- who did you think was the best player on the pitch against West Brom? But when people try to vote for certain favored players despite them admitting that Suarez was better overall it just doesn't make any sense and only goes to highlight which players have a bigger fan group.

My initial discussion with Red Riot was not aimed solely at him and he should in no way feel obliged to change his vote. I just wanted him to clarify his position on voting for Lucas as MOTM even though he said initially that he thought Suarez was better. I mean fair enough if you genuinely thought Lucas was the better player (even though I won't agree with it at least that's the proper way of voting) but just voting for him for the sake of it to make his 'stats' look better is what annoyed me.

Anyway like other have said there are much more important things to discuss and get frustrated over so I'll leave it at that. And whoever voted for the 3 subs needs a good ass kicking! ;-)

Lucas

Why the fuck are we even talking about tactical voting - this is an internet poll about who you thought was the best player in a game. This is taking place on a fans' discussion forum, it's not a bloody general election, why is this even an issue. This whole issue is ridiculous.

Some people thought Lucas was the best player, some though Suarez was, what does it even matter in the end. The whole forum seems to be turning into a debate about Leiva. Get a grip, people.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Lucas said:
Why the fuck are we even talking about tactical voting - this is an internet poll about who you thought was the best player in a game. This is taking place on a fans' discussion forum, it's not a bloody general election, why is this even an issue. This whole issue is ridiculous.

Some people thought Lucas was the best player, some though Suarez was, what does it even matter in the end. The whole forum seems to be turning into a debate about Leiva. Get a grip, people.
An Internet forum will always open up a debate especially when one thinks Suarez did much better than anyone else in the team but went on to vote for someone else thinking that player needs a vote. That does not make any good nor bad for the player in questioned. But it does open up a can of worm of the poster who voted for the other player even though he thinks Suarez played better, he will be questioned as to why he contradict himself, especially when the particular poster pride himself with football and English language expert.

Lucas

lfc.eddie said:
An Internet forum will always open up a debate especially when one thinks Suarez did much better than anyone else in the team but went on to vote for someone else thinking that player needs a vote. That does not make any good nor bad for the player in questioned. But it does open up a can of worm of the poster who voted for the other player even though he thinks Suarez played better, he will be questioned as to why he contradict himself, especially when the particular poster pride himself with football and English language expert.
I'm not talking about particular people, but the whole thing. To me all it boils down to is 'my choice is better than your choice' and 'I'm right, you're wrong' childish mentalities.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Lucas said:
I'm not talking about particular people, but the whole thing. To me all it boils down to is 'my choice is better than your choice' and 'I'm right, you're wrong' childish mentalities.
Now you have gone off context.... Nobody here said their choice is better, everyone in here is clear that Suarez is the better player. That is exactly the reason it went out of context. You have a choice to vote, if you think Mignolet is the man of the match because to you he is above everyone else in his performance then great. But to say Suarez played better than anyone but I am going to give it to the most controversial player in the club, in the forum, you are baiting for an argument.

Besides I actually didn't see anyone claiming my choice is better than yours, more like my choice played better and you agree, why vote for the other. Not sure how you come up with that conclusion of yours to be honest.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
The reason it goes against the grain is simple. We come onto a forum to learn the views of others. A poll is a snapshot of those views. If we get into a situation were people portray different views to what they actually hold, what is the point of a forum?

Your not learning anything but a skewed perception of the beliefs of others.