• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

My First Time At Anfield

IFC

TIA Youth Team
Hi TIAers

I've been a member of these forums for quite a few years (admittedly dormant for a while) and a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember. Living in South Africa, my love affair with the club has always been a long-distance relationship.

In a few days, I'll be attending my first ever match at Anfield when we take on Fulham. I've been saving up for the trip for a few years and I'm unbelievably excited to finally be making the pilgrimage.

Since it will be my first time in the city I was hoping someone could give me some advice about the must-sees - what are the usual pre-match meet-up spots and where would be a good place to meet other Liverpools fans and really get a feel for the people and the culture. Even just having a pint with some of members from on here would be great.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

YNWA

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Enjoy your trip mate. Dont worry, youll find loads of Redmen there! very friendly people, you can try out the bars near anfield, they usually have a good atmosphere.
Dont forget to take the stadium tour! you can take a photo with the champions league trophy!
I am not sure about melwood, but i think you can visit there!

Suarez7LateralIncisor

TIA Regular
can't help with must-sees and the like as I have been able to get there yet, but have a great visit. I'm very jealous, but wish you the best

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
get yourself into the park pre-match, pain in the arse to get a drink (buy 2/3 at a time) but it's my fave pre-match drinking spot

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
This is my article:

"Oye! pack your bags you are off to UK” these were the words my friend told me, informing about my onsite assignment. For years I had set eyes on this country, I wanted to visit UK once, not because of London, or beauty or not even because of the GBP. Just the fact that this country ate, slept and drank football, or Club football to be specific, made going there and witnessing a football match as my very important wish! It wasn’t London tourist attractions or the Highlands on Scotland that attracted me… just the game and the English passion for the game.

Ever since I started following Liverpool FC after the 2005 champions league victory, they were team I wanted to see playing and that too preferably at Anfield; Anfield, the home of Liverpool FC, the most successful English team in Europe. My first problem was selecting the match and getting a ticket. Thou I held a LFC membership; there was no way I could get the tickets in first attempt. I eventually bought the ticket and then started my planning. Got my travel and accommodation booked and was off to Liverpool on 11/04/2011 and the match I had chosen was Liverpool FC vs. Manchester City FC, the battle of the Rich and the Famous.

I reached Liverpool Lime Street station at 11 am, with loads of time before the kick off (being a Monday kick off the match was scheduled for 8pm), I headed straight for the City Center to check out a few shops and collect my ticket for the match. On reaching the city center I got the first shot of what a football club means to their FANS! LFC barbers, LFC burgers…. Each and every shop is named after the football club. Plus all you could see was fans in the red jerseys. Being match day I suppose there were more Fans than the usual! I got the 18no Bus and headed to my B&B; the Anfield guest house. Situated approx 5 mins from the stadium, the B&B was an old house converted into B&B. the walls of the B&B spoke about the glory days of Liverpool, portraits of Bob Paisley, Daglish and the achievements of Liverpool FC.

I checked in my room! 3 bunk beds and my roommates for the day were a Chinese and an Australian both of them travelling to the UK, just for the match! We spent the next 2 hours discussing football… no politics, no culture queries not even UK weather, just football and off course LFC. The more we discussed about English passion the more we got confused. We couldn’t understand how supporters could hate each other… nor could we figure out why they hated players when they leave the club.

18:00 hrs and we decided to stop talking and start walking towards Anfield. Now just opposite the stadium there were a few ‘pubs’. All of these were full of supporters, singing their songs and cheering Liverpool FC. The atmosphere was surely electrifying and it really takes you up there with them. Mind you if you are not a home team supporter, don’t even dare to go in.

19:00 hrs we enter the stadium, courtesy me and the Chinese friend (we both being from populous countries were in a hurry to get to our seats… and it was worth). We got a nice view of the stadium; we were at the centenary stand with the main stand opposite us, the legendary KOP to our left and the away stand on our right. In no time the players were out for their warm ups and usual we all ran to the front row to get a quick snap of them. The away team and home team practiced in their respective halves with the goal keepers practicing first and then the players. Practice for goalkeepers included taking spot kicks, few close range saves and clearances. While the players played touch and pass.

20:00 hrs the players walk out and the loud speaker plays “You will never walk Alone” a typical Anfield ritual. Every Liverpool supporter would stand up and sing that song, I tried but then preferred enjoying the atmosphere. The starting XI was announced and the loudest cheer came for Luis Suarez, the new darling of KOP. It was all going to start… I was waiting for the referee’s whistle coz it was not just for the start of the game… it was the whistle indicating the fulfillment of my wish. After 90 minutes, while walking out of the stadium, I felt Anfield telling me ‘You will never walk Alone’.

Those 90 minutes were the best for the football fan in me… the fans, the atmosphere, the sport, all made me realize that I had seen a new form of passion, something I never imagined or something I could never reach.

Redheaven

Just get to the ground early and take a nice slow walk round the stadium as the crowd builds towards kick off time, soak up the atmoshphere and look around you at the history of this great club and most of all make sure you are inside in time see the players warm up and to sing YNWA. Enjoy.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Go early have a look around get a feel for the place and check where you need to go to get to your turnstile.

Then head to the Sandon or the Twelfth Man for pre match drinks, dont be afraid to introduce yourself and get talking to guys at the bar whilst waiting for drinks at the bar, sure by time you leave for match you will have new friends :) nightmare getting home afterwards so head back to the pub for few more afterwards.

Good luck and enjoy.

lancashirelad

Hi TIAers

I've been a member of these forums for quite a few years (admittedly dormant for a while) and a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember. Living in South Africa, my love affair with the club has always been a long-distance relationship.

In a few days, I'll be attending my first ever match at Anfield when we take on Fulham. I've been saving up for the trip for a few years and I'm unbelievably excited to finally be making the pilgrimage.

Since it will be my first time in the city I was hoping someone could give me some advice about the must-sees - what are the usual pre-match meet-up spots and where would be a good place to meet other Liverpools fans and really get a feel for the people and the culture. Even just having a pint with some of members from on here would be great.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

YNWA
Good for you I hope you enjoy yourself

If you get to the ground by car and park close to the ground make sure you pay a kid to look after your car, otherwise when you get back it may have a flat tire.

There are several pubs around the ground:-

Albert is usually jammed.....
Try The Park (directly opposite The Kop) try to avoid The Sandon it's not a friendly place to out of towners, anyone without a scouse accent is mildly suspect, but thy're all good, even the Slaughtered Lamb on the corner of Proctor Street.
Whenever I'm over I usually go to The Salisbury,on Walton Breck Road and its not usually as packed as places like The Albert and The Sandon. Good atmosphere in there as well and a short walk to the ground
Be prepared for all the pubs to be packed and 3 or 4 deep at the bar.
Downtown is OK now, the docks and the riverside have cleaned up nicely.
Good luck, enjoy the experience
Avoid the Arkles at the Anfield rd end, its the place for visiting supporters but Iv'e had some good times there, lots of football banter with the opposition.
Learn the songs before you go especially the fields of Annie rd, the Stevie G song and of course YNWA.

kylel39

Never bite the hand that feed's you.......Luis
I would have said the Sandon personally for a pre-match pint (or 6).

Do the Stadium Tour if you can also, a very good tour and the staff are excellent.