• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

My Liverpool team 2005-2019.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
So, you can pick any player from this period and put him into a reds team. Mine is below, I wonder if anyone else fancies picking theirs?

Reina, Robertson, Trent, VVD/Carra. Alonso, Gerrard, Fabinho. Mane, Suarez, Torres.
Obviously a 4-3-3 combination.
Jurgen at the helm.
Think this would pretty much sweep all before it.
I'll allow 7 subs say: - Alisson, Finnan, Hyypia, Mascherano, Bobby, Salah, Henderson.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I'm new to the Forum, can you tell me where Dalglish, Souness and Hanson are placed amongst the best Liverpool Players of the [past?
The greatest ever player to play for us is debatable - the King or Gerrard. I personally go with the King.
Souness great as player, rubbish as manager.
Hansen is probably one of the best CB we ever had.
Rush, God, Barnes are few more players who would be probably in our greatest 10 of all time.
Despite winning CL, none of the current team guys would get into our top 10 of all time, me thinks.

Alright Now

I'm new to the Forum, can you tell me where Dalglish, Souness and Hanson are placed amongst the best Liverpool Players of the [past?
The King remains the greatest for everything he did on and does off the field. For me, he is LFC’s greatest treasure. After that, most of the smart people i know have either Hansen or Bobby.

As for @andyclegs team above, after his antics at Anfield with Barca, Suarez can take a seat on the bench and wait his turn behind Bobby, Sadio, and Divock.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
The King remains the greatest for everything he did on and does off the field. For me, he is LFC’s greatest treasure. After that, most of the smart people i know have either Hansen or Bobby.

As for @andyclegs team above, after his antics at Anfield with Barca, Suarez can take a seat on the bench and wait his turn behind Bobby, Sadio, and Divock.
Says the Bobby stalker.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Best player? On talent alone I would go for Suarez.

Virgil has to best our best-ever defender, superior to Hansen in many ways.

Best team since 2005? That's hard. This would be my team.

........................Becker............
Trent.........Matip....Virgil.... Robertson
.......................Fabinho...................
...........Alonso............Gerrard.........
.....Mane..........................Suarez......
.......................Torres...........................

Last edited:

Incognito

The Normal One
..............Alisson...........
Trent VVD Agger Robbo
........Xabi.... Fabinho.....
.............. Stevie.............
Mane.....Bobby.....Torres

Bench: Reina, Hyypia, Milner, Salah, Hendo, Kuyt, Suarez

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Here goes:

Mané Bobby Suarez

Xabi Gerrard
Masch

Robertson Van Dijk Hyypia Trent

Allisson​

Subs: Reina, Agger, Carra, Milner, Hendo, Salah, Fowler

It's a bit of a tussle between Mané and Salah, so I've taken the former, based on his current form. And Fowler is preferred to Torres on the bench, because I love this player. He's God, that's all.

Apart from that, it's stunning to see how many quality players during that period of time can't even find a place on my bench. Finnan, Riise, Hamann, Leiva, Fabinho, Gini, Garcia, Coutinho, Sterling, Torres, Kuyt for instance...

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
The problem with picking a team is finding the right players to fit to the managers system. Building a team for Klopp, playing a high line 4-3-3, with the front 3 pressing will require very different players than for Rafa. Not necessarily better or best, but more suited.
For Klopp:
Allison, TAA, Agger, VVD, Robbo, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Salah, Suarez, Mane.

For Rafa:
Riena, Gomez, VVD, Agger, Robbo, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Milner, Kuyt, Torres.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
For me, the best team of 2005 - 2019 is

Alisson
Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Hendo Gini
Salah Firmino Mane

;)

Go on then, swap Gerrard for Gini. But Stevie is going to have to find a out of discipline.

Retro Helix

This was really tough especially up front:
Alisson
Trent, Hyypia, VVD, Robertson
Fabinho
Alonso......Gerrard
Suarez.............Mane
Torres
Subs: Reina, Agger, Carragher, Mascherano, Hamann, Firmino, Salah​

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
This was really tough especially up front:
Alisson
Trent, Hyypia, VVD, Robertson
Fabinho
Alonso......Gerrard
Suarez.............Mane
Torres
Subs: Reina, Agger, Carragher, Mascherano, Hamann, Firmino, Salah​
I know it was tough!!! I just love the idea of Alonso dictating play. I think, if anything, the current team lacks someone like him but fortunately our current sum of oarts altogether compensated for it - especially do since Cotinho left.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Not the most popular choice I know, but I'd have Carra in there ahead of Sami alongside Virgil. I'd have Sami on the bench (and Agger as 4th choice). Always thought that Carra doesn't get enough credit for his peak CB stuff under Rafa even from our fans. As he said it himself (and I think it's true, he's a pretty realistic guy), he wasn't a great ball manipulator, but was never a bad passer of the ball, that's a myth that is too easily thrown about. Sometimes when I hear people talking about him post-playing, I always feel they downgrade him. Plus, he'd be a better fit alongside Virgil, even if that doesn't necessarily have to make sense in terms of balance. We can make balanced teams or just throw what would be the best combination of best players in an XI.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not the most popular choice I know, but I'd have Carra in there ahead of Sami alongside Virgil. I'd have Sami on the bench (and Agger as 4th choice). Always thought that Carra doesn't get enough credit for his peak CB stuff under Rafa even from our fans. As he said it himself (and I think it's true, he's a pretty realistic guy), he wasn't a great ball manipulator, but was never a bad passer of the ball, that's a myth that is too easily thrown about. Sometimes when I hear people talking about him post-playing, I always feel they downgrade him. Plus, he'd be a better fit alongside Virgil, even if that doesn't necessarily have to make sense in terms of balance. We can make balanced teams or just throw what would be the best combination of best players in an XI.
Don’t fancy Carra in this high line :)

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Alisson; Trent, Carragher, Virgil, Robertson; Fabinho, Gerrard; Salah, Firmino, Mane, Suarez

Bench: Reina, Hyypia, Milner, Alonso, Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Torres

One attacker too many there, I guess, and Gerrard in a midfield two was never any good if we're honest about it. But with Fabinho and Virgil to clean up, we'd make it work :cool:

shachart

For me, the best team of 2005 - 2019 is

Alisson
Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Hendo Gini
Salah Firmino Mane

;)

Go on then, swap Gerrard for Gini. But Stevie is going to have to find a out of discipline.
He will also find the back of the net around 15 times.

shachart

Carra was not a bad passer. Ifmemory serves he even played a holding midfielder for England. His problem would be speed.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Here goes:

Mané Bobby Suarez

Xabi Gerrard
Masch

Robertson Van Dijk Hyypia Trent

Allisson​

Subs: Reina, Agger, Carra, Milner, Hendo, Salah, Fowler

It's a bit of a tussle between Mané and Salah, so I've taken the former, based on his current form. And Fowler is preferred to Torres on the bench, because I love this player. He's God, that's all.

Apart from that, it's stunning to see how many quality players during that period of time can't even find a place on my bench. Finnan, Riise, Hamann, Leiva, Fabinho, Gini, Garcia, Coutinho, Sterling, Torres, Kuyt for instance...
I was of the same opinion on Mane and Salah. I just think Sadio would edge it - especially on the run of form he was on when he arrived and since January, 2019 onwards he's been our outstanding attacker.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Alisson; Trent, Carragher, Virgil, Robertson; Fabinho, Gerrard; Salah, Firmino, Mane, Suarez

Bench: Reina, Hyypia, Milner, Alonso, Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Torres

One attacker too many there, I guess, and Gerrard in a midfield two was never any good if we're honest about it. But with Fabinho and Virgil to clean up, we'd make it work :cool:
But what entertainment that team would bring....Bobby would be a false attacker and do his usual bit in the middle - it might work then!!

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I am old enough to remember the Dalglish/ Souness /Hansen team of the late Seventies, early Eighties.
Still the best Engish Club side I have ever seen, possibly the best in the World
I think the 1982-84 team would just edge it over the 78-80 team though. Maybe that could be a thread - which of those teams was the best?

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Alisson

Johnson van Dijk Hyypia Robertson

Fabinho Alonso

Salah Gerrard Mane

Torres
Sorry to be pissy but JOHNSON??? As in the layabout, fancy dan, plays only when he felt like it GLEN JOHNSON? Poor in the air, suspect positioning who thought his natural pace and ability to beat a man (although seldom produce a good cross) were enough so he didn't have to work on his game? That guy should never be in a best Liverpool squad let alone XI. TAA has much to learn and he's only been playing what 3 years but if (god forbid) he was never to play for us again, he'd still IMHI come in ahead of anyone going back to when we last win the league. Rob Jones would be closest with Steve Finnan and before that Markus Babbel worth a shout. Wouldn't want Glen Johnson and his bad attitude anywhere near the squad, sorry.

PaulRoJo

Oh and my team:

Becker; Robertson, VvD, Agger, TAA; Fabinho, Alonso; Suarez, Firmino, Gerrard; Torres.

Bench:
Reina; Carragher; Mascherano, Milner; Mane, Salah, Kuyt.

Not sure about the balance up top but I'd dearly liked to have seen Suarez and Torres together. Hard to see Bobby and Xabi not working brill alongside them and four of the back five pick themselves:. I've gone with the dagger as, at his peak, he was majestic and much quicker than Sami (although Matip is unlucky to miss out).
On the bench carra is the perfect sub who could fill in across the back four. Mash has a strong argument to play instead of fab but I think fabs passing in this team alongside Xabi keeps Monster mash as sub while Millie could fill in anywhere. Up front is ridiculous but Kuyt is severely underrated and as a clever, skillful and hardworking player (albeit slow) could def do a job, ala Bobby perhaps?

Last edited:
Sorry to be pissy but JOHNSON???
My bad. Yeah, bad choice. I don't know why Trent skipped my mind. Probably because I was focused on the period between 2005-2015 for players

Now that I think of it, we even forgot Arbeloa. I'd have him over Johnson too. And yes Finnan was reliable and steady. Underrated

PaulRoJo

My bad. Yeah, bad choice. I don't know why Trent skipped my mind. Probably because I was focused on the period between 2005-2015 for players

Now that I think of it, we even forgot Arbeloa. I'd have him over Johnson too. And yes Finnan was reliable and steady. Underrated
And to be fair, I liked the rest of your team and picked a somewhat similar line up!