Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Nabil be leaning on?

• The executive wall. With the Shankly quote. In a suit.

• A giant pile of knee scans

• Aulas' ego

• A crutch or walking stick

• A television playing the leaked video of himself

• The contract table of course

• Fabinho, Naby, Shaqiri, and Alisson arranged in a pile

• His World Cup medal

• A gibbering Dejan Lovren, looking sullenly at said World Cup medal

• Michael Edwards' laptop, which has gained sentience and rules us all

• Leans are so 2017 - it's all about the posed screaming and badge grabbing

• Red wall, looking like a moody, hard bastard.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Last edited:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Looks like a fabulous replacement for Coutinho, hope the lad comes and brings fire with him.Like the fact he is their captain, a leader/ winner.These are the type of signings to take us to the next level.

Red&War

Don't watch any French football because its kack. Anybody care to share some opinions on this guy? Strengths/Weaknesses etc.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Don't watch any French football because its kack. Anybody care to share some opinions on this guy? Strengths/Weaknesses etc.
In my opinion, he is a dribbler, a very agile (not fast) player in close quarters. His finishing is really good too. He can create, but it's not his main threat, he is more of a Ronaldo kind of player in a sense that he usually creates chances for himself. But he has good vision and understanding of the game.

His weakness is that sometimes he should pass and do things faster but he just carries the ball or hold it and then he loses possession. I didn't check, but he is not a very strong or tall so he can be bulied easily, especially in PL football I should say. Also, he is not the usual 10 that moves around and find spaces, come deep to get the ball and etc, he usually plays only in the final third of the pitch. But that might be just an orientation from his manager since Lyon midfielders are very creative and offensive.

Some people here think he can play as 8 or winger. I think he is best as 10 or false 9. Not fast enough to play in the wings and his strenghts are better used as close as possible to the opposition area.

Edit:
I super recommend watching french football. There are a lot of great young players like Ndombele, Aouar, Tolisso, Tousart, Malcom, Jorge, Mukiele etc.

Jayus20

In my opinion, he is a dribbler, a very agile (not fast) player in close quarters. His finishing is really good too. He can create, but it's not his main threat, he is more of a Ronaldo kind of player in a sense that he usually creates chances for himself. But he has good vision and understanding of the game.

His weakness is that sometimes he should pass and do things faster but he just carries the ball or hold it and then he loses possession. I didn't check, but he is not a very strong or tall so he can be bulied easily, especially in PL football I should say. Also, he is not the usual 10 that moves around and find spaces, come deep to get the ball and etc, he usually plays only in the final third of the pitch. But that might be just an orientation from his manager since Lyon midfielders are very creative and offensive.

Some people here think he can play as 8 or winger. I think he is best as 10 or false 9. Not fast enough to play in the wings and his strenghts are better used as close as possible to the opposition area.
Disagree on that he can be bullied easily. He's built like Hazard, small and agile but strong at the same time. He can definitely play in the Mane role 100% which why I think people are saying he could play on the wing. He couldn't play like Salah though I don't think as like you say he doesn't have the pace. Like you I don't see him playing as a #8 he's just too attack minded. Think he can play as a CAM, winger or false 9 and that's about it but honestly that's pretty ideal for what we want imo.

Koon

Disagree on that he can be bullied easily. He's built like Hazard, small and agile but strong at the same time. He can definitely play in the Mane role 100% which why I think people are saying he could play on the wing. He couldn't play like Salah though I don't think as like you say he doesn't have the pace. Like you I don't see him playing as a #8 he's just too attack minded. Think he can play as a CAM, winger or false 9 and that's about it but honestly that's pretty ideal for what we want imo.
Just checked here, he is the most dispossesed player in his team, 2.8 per game. The next ones are Aouar and Depay (1.8).
I must remember we are talking about french football. They are very soft and allow a lot of space to run. English football is different. Less space, more physical players and less contact considered as foul.

When players like Hazard/Coutinho/Fekir have space, they can dribble and do stuff, but when they don't have it, it's different. If you watch Fekir playing a few games, you will see many situations where he will lose possession because he will try to dribble and won't be successful. That's because he is a pure dribbler, that's his main threat. He wil almost always try to do that. Coutinho and Hazard are different, they are more team players. Fekir does that because he is very, very, very agile. I can't remember a more agile dribbler. He is superior to Hazard and Coutinho in that department. I would compare him to Neymar, for example (but obviously Neymar is on another completely different level).

About playing Mané's role, I tend to agree. But that's like Firmino. He can play as RW or LW, but is that his best position? My doubt is can he play winger/8 as good as he plays 10? I think he can play as 9, especially thinking about our system, but as winger and 8 I have some doubts. But if Klopp wants him (wich I don't think he does), things will work out.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
When players like Hazard/Coutinho/Fekir have space, they can dribble and do stuff, but when they don't have it, it's different. If you watch Fekir playing a few games, you will see many situations where he will lose possession because he will try to dribble and won't be successful. That's because he is a pure dribbler, that's his main threat. He wil almost always try to do that. Coutinho and Hazard are different, they are more team players. Fekir does that because he is very, very, very agile. I can't remember a more agile dribbler. He is superior to Hazard and Coutinho in that department. I would compare him to Neymar, for example (but obviously Neymar is on another completely different level).
Not sure how much you've seen of Hazard, he's always running with the ball. Check out the stats for 'most dribbles' in the premier league, Hazard is always on top by an absolute mile. He's incredibly agile and doesn't need any room at all to run into.

Koon

Not sure how much you've seen of Hazard, he's always running with the ball. Check out the stats for 'most dribbles' in the premier league, Hazard is always on top by an absolute mile. He's incredibly agile and doesn't need any room at all to run into.
Hazard is a considerably better player all round, obviously he will do more than Fékir in every department when he has the ball. Passes per game, key passes, disposed and etc, it will probably be better than Fékir especially because Hazard has more "resources", he doesn't rely on dribbling as much as Fékir. But when it comes to that fast dribble when you don't have too much space, I can't remember a more agile player than him and Neymar in close spaces, not even Hazard. Maybe only Emre Mor? But the boy is anywhere near as good as anybody we are talking about here.

People should watch a few games of Fékir to understand what I mean about him. Videos will show only where he thrives, a few full games will show the big picture. He is not exactly a team player he is more of a soloist. If you compare him to the likes of Hazard, he will be like the most unselfish player in the world.

Also, by watching his games people will be able to see my boys Aouar and Ndombele.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
People should watch a few games of Fékir to understand what I mean about him. Videos will show only where he thrives, a few full games will show the big picture. He is not exactly a team player he is more of a soloist. If you compare him to the likes of Hazard, he will be like the most unselfish player in the world.
Part of Coutinho's game I hated most was his tendency to try dribble past players at the wrong moments, failing and slowing down the play when he could just play a pass to our wingers for a 1v1 opporunity. He looks very similar in this regard. He looks like an upgrade to Ox in terms of going forward though - but does he have the grafting and engine to play in our set up?

Midfield 3's generally set up with a 10, 8 and 6. By all accounts, Fekir is a pure 10. Fekir, Keita, Hendo (or an upgrade) would work.

inaiq

"Some people feel the rain others just get wet"
Will he be another VVD signing debacle or will we have learnt our lessons in the transfer market? Klopp get his signings before the start of next season and not wait till Jan? Or, all previous signings were according to plan and the various outlets were spewing out links are always close to the mark?. Summer will be good and if the signings so far have not quite been on the mark(timing, money, attributes), and yet we are in the CL final.. what if?:think:

VictoryInSight

Tactical Genius... at least on Football Manager
Part of Coutinho's game I hated most was his tendency to try dribble past players at the wrong moments, failing and slowing down the play when he could just play a pass to our wingers for a 1v1 opporunity. He looks very similar in this regard. He looks like an upgrade to Ox in terms of going forward though - but does he have the grafting and engine to play in our set up?

Midfield 3's generally set up with a 10, 8 and 6. By all accounts, Fekir is a pure 10. Fekir, Keita, Hendo (or an upgrade) would work.
Totally agree. A pure #10/second striker (when he played alongside Alexandre Lacazette).

If he were to fit into our team, he would be competing for Bobby Firmino's (in a front three) or Ox/Lallana's (CAM in a 4-2-3-1) spot. He doesn't look like a player who hangs out on the wings.

Rybo_11

Looks like a solid player to me, would help breaking down sides who sit deep and frustrate us. Has that ability like Couts to pull something out of the bag. I am looking forward to seeing how we strengthen this summer. Think we will see a lot of deals early doors with the world cup coming up and the fact prem teams agreed to shut the window before the start of next season instead of the end of August.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I always thought he was the far better player than Lacazette and made him look a better player than he was.. It's no surprise Fekir is still smashing it whilst lacazette has struggled so much in the EPL.

That does suggest one element of doubt, the French league is not the Premiership, and a player who has had an ACL I'd be very worried their body would stand up to the rigours of English football. Is there any real evidence of any player whose successfully had a top class career in England after an ACL?

Kopstar

★★★★★
I always thought he was the far better player than Lacazette and made him look a better player than he was.. It's no surprise Fekir is still smashing it whilst lacazette has struggled so much in the EPL.

That does suggest one element of doubt, the French league is not the Premiership, and a player who has had an ACL I'd be very worried their body would stand up to the rigours of English football. Is there any real evidence of any player whose successfully had a top class career in England after an ACL?
Van Nistelrooy?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Ending up in Europa after missing out on a top four finish and losing a champions league final would feel as bad.
Well history can't repeat itself, as for starters it was the Europa League, secondary we couldn't achieve top 4 on the final day, thirdly we will still have some European football.

The only part of history repeating itself is that we needed to win on the final day last season to get top 4.... that is the same this time.

Cologne-Liverpool

Or we know there's going to be another big day to the bank in three or four years down the road...... :J
Well, he is supposed to be the Coutinho replacement, right? ;-)

Don't know much about Fekir - if it is true that he has a good first touch and the ability to control the ball in tight spaces that alone would be nice to have a little bit more of in the squad. Btw - does he take free kicks?

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Well, he is supposed to be the Coutinho replacement, right? ;-)

Don't know much about Fekir - if it is true that he has a good first touch and the ability to control the ball in tight spaces that alone would be nice to have a little bit more of in the squad. Btw - does he take free kicks?
Having watched his highlights reel this morning, I can say with some confidence Fekir would immediately become the best free-kick taker in the squad. Looks like he's scored some belters.

Edit: Like this one! :shocked:

Last edited: