• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Fekir be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

• A giant screen playing the leaked video from last year which we'll use for VAR

• The railing at Melwood, looking forlornly at it cos he knackered his knee again

• A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

• A furious Man City fan demanding to know why THEY aren't in the picture as champions

• Big Virg, because fucking anyone can lean on him

• An enormous pile of cash that Mick Edwards saved us

• The crushed spirit of James Pearce

• His mum, because he's not fucking coming

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Nope which is why its dead. This thread has more life I think lol;-)
Actually, I think Klopp would still have him with open arms. The issue is really the fact that after the medical (and assumedly the increased insurance costs and likelihood the knee could go pop again at any time thus making it a far riskier transfer than it was 24 hours prior) Lyon stuck to their price. If they were willing to come down or restructure the deal so it's appearance-heavy, then I think it'd be back on. The fact that they're not willing to do the former is fair enough - he's their captain and a top player after all. The fact that they're not willing to do the latter though speaks volumes.

GaryBarlow99

Actually, I think Klopp would still have him with open arms. The issue is really the fact that after the medical (and assumedly the increased insurance costs and likelihood the knee could go pop again at any time thus making it a far riskier transfer than it was 24 hours prior) Lyon stuck to their price. If they were willing to come down or restructure the deal so it's appearance-heavy, then I think it'd be back on. The fact that they're not willing to do the former is fair enough - he's their captain and a top player after all. The fact that they're not willing to do the latter though speaks volumes.
It does. The issue for them is he only has 20 months left on his contract and doesn't look like he will sign a new one. The interesting thing is how no other clubs went in for him after we pulled out. Aulas even said he was offered to Chelsea and they didn't want him. I've said it before but the whole thing is just weird.

Klopptinho

Banned Users
It does. The issue for them is he only has 20 months left on his contract and doesn't look like he will sign a new one. The interesting thing is how no other clubs went in for him after we pulled out. Aulas even said he was offered to Chelsea and they didn't want him. I've said it before but the whole thing is just weird.
Personally i think we changed our minds when klopp realised we needed to replace karius and get a world class goal keeper . That shifted the budget a lot and i heard him mention that atletico madrid wanted 100m euros for their keeper - says to me we enquired . We managed to get shaqiri and Alisson for slightly less than that but those moves put the fekir deal off the rails . Rumours that we tried to restructure the deal whilst paying the same amount would make sense . If we had managed to sell origi ings and markovic then we might have gone back in.

C

Caradoc

Reading the TIA Home Page article on Ox’s past injuries, current injury and prognosis its perhaps not surprising that the club weren’t prepared to follow up on the Fekir deal. Having made that decision I’m really not sure how or why they would now go back on it.

Noo Noo

I must admit I thought that we had gone through the medical, probably had another look / a further medical even and then decided that it wasn't to be. From then on it was all about Lyon trying to entice us back to the negotiating table and we simply didn't take up the offer.

However, I dont for one minute believe that we simply walked away and left Lyon hanging without any explanation / discussion. Perhaps restructuring was discussed at that point but then it almost comes down to a who blinks first scenario. I honestly haven't seen or heard anything that says were were looking to restructure, I honestly thought we had drawn a line through it and moved on rather than Lyon refusing to move on price but I've so wrong so often it would come as no surprise if that was the case again.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
He was brilliant against City, especially first half. Ran the game. I wonder whether he would have come straight in to the team had we bought him or he would have had to wait, like Fabinho. Real shame this one didn't come off. Yet.

Red Spud

The one factor that makes me think this deal could still happen is that his contract expires in 2020 so transfer fee with drop if he doesn't sign a new one.

So if he stays fit all season and puts up similar numbers to last year I could see us trying to sign him in the summer for around 30m but don't see anything happening before then.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
There's the article on the main site which discusses ox and his injury and how that might have put us off signing fekir

Once bitten , twice shy.

Limiescouse

There's the article on the main site which discusses ox and his injury and how that might have put us off signing fekir

Once bitten , twice shy.
It's almost certainly nonsense.

First of all, its just a weird idea that people of the quality and experience as we have at this club would somehow have their eyes open to a risk of injury from watching what happened to Ox. They are already well aware this stuff can happen and what it means when it happens.

Second of all, the timeline makes no sense. If there was anything about Ox's injury that would have put us off Fekir we either wouldnt have entered into negotiations at all seeing as it was public knowledge he had suffered a similar injury, or we would have pulled out long before we did. Instead, even once we had the relevant information about Ox's knee and his prognosis we continued on trying to make the Fekir deal happen. Assuming it is true we pulled out when we did because of concerns over his knee, then it would have been because of the specific issue we observed in Fekir's knee, and our medical people would not have needed to experience Ox's injury to have been able to spot those issues or be concerned about them when they saw them.

Furthermore, my reading of the situation, which admittedly is partially guesswork given the lack of information coming out from our side, but is educated guesswork, is that it is not the ligament per se we were concerned with. When you damage the knee the way Fekir did there is a lot of collateral damage, primarily to the cartilage. These are not issues that are going to extend the recovery, or even really provide any extra challenges to the recovery. They do pose questions though about how well the knee in general (not the ligament specifically) will hold up to the wear and tear of being a professional athlete. Think Ledley King. The fact Fekir had to get his knee scoped 6 months or so after making his return is not proof this is a problem for him, but it is consistent with someone who will likely experience these problems. If you are looking to make a signing for a role as important as this and for that cost you want them to be able to play 250 games over that 5 year span. We seemingly looked at a knee we were concerned would likely only be able to hold up for 125. Unless we somehow change our medical opinion, this situation is unlikely to change unless we get a valuation that reflects how many games we think he is likely to be able to play.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to Kicker Bayern are interested in signing Fekir.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Meh. If we go back to Lyon, I’d prefer it to be for Aouar.
You know how we work right? We were in for Lemar in Jan, talked about us going to buy him for £90m after selling Coutinho. Come summer we went for Fabinho without anyone noticing it. Out of the blue.... so not to worry, we still be talking up about this Fekr fella, but when summer arrives, we will surprise everyone.

Foldy

Do you ever feel like sometimes you're just p***ing into the wind when telling people the reasons he wasn't signed back in the summer!? We'll still be linked to him after he's medically retired and driving his mobility scooter down the bookies in his slippers.

GaryBarlow99

Liverpool news: Lyon president reveals truth about Nabil Fekir transfer KO
LYON president Jean-Michel Aulas has revealed he pulled the plug on Nabil Fekir’s potential move to Liverpool.

By Alex Harris / Published 10th December 2018

Fekir was on the brink of heading to Anfield before the World Cup but the transfer spectacularly collapsed at the 11th hour.
The truth behind the France international playmaker’s failed switch has since been the subject of speculation.
And Aulas has revealed a “change of heart” from Liverpool convinced him to axe talks.

“At the final moment, the three parties did not find an agreement, but not just Liverpool and Lyon, who had had an agreement,” he said.

“There was a change of heart from Liverpool’s point of view, as we were in a tight situation in that Nabil was about to go to the World Cup, we decided to finish (talks).
“Nabil at the time was OK with all of that.”
It has been suggested a that a long-term knee issue flagged up during the medical process put Liverpool off completing the deal.
And Aulas said: “I think it was one of the arguments that was used on the Liverpool side, but personally I do not think it was the real reason.”

Fekir has 18 months left on his contract and Lyon are running out of time to secure an extension.
Aulas is hell-bent on securing the 25-year-old’s future and has a deal ready for him to sign.
“It is ongoing, it is on my desk,” the Lyon bigwig told RMC show Breaking Sport.
“We are going to make it so that he is aware of it soon, with complete transparency.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/747391/Liverpool-News-Nabil-Fekir-Lyon-President-Transfer-KO-Rumours-Gossip

GaryBarlow99

France Football report he is available for €40m so £36m. Sell Origi in January to Wolves (£18m) and use that and the Ings money to come (£18m) in the summer and we've got the beautiful French bastard :well done::celebrating:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Liverpool news: Lyon president reveals truth about Nabil Fekir transfer KO
LYON president Jean-Michel Aulas has revealed he pulled the plug on Nabil Fekir’s potential move to Liverpool.

By Alex Harris / Published 10th December 2018

Fekir was on the brink of heading to Anfield before the World Cup but the transfer spectacularly collapsed at the 11th hour.
The truth behind the France international playmaker’s failed switch has since been the subject of speculation.
And Aulas has revealed a “change of heart” from Liverpool convinced him to axe talks.

“At the final moment, the three parties did not find an agreement, but not just Liverpool and Lyon, who had had an agreement,” he said.

“There was a change of heart from Liverpool’s point of view, as we were in a tight situation in that Nabil was about to go to the World Cup, we decided to finish (talks).
“Nabil at the time was OK with all of that.”
It has been suggested a that a long-term knee issue flagged up during the medical process put Liverpool off completing the deal.
And Aulas said: “I think it was one of the arguments that was used on the Liverpool side, but personally I do not think it was the real reason.”

Fekir has 18 months left on his contract and Lyon are running out of time to secure an extension.
Aulas is hell-bent on securing the 25-year-old’s future and has a deal ready for him to sign.
“It is ongoing, it is on my desk,” the Lyon bigwig told RMC show Breaking Sport.
“We are going to make it so that he is aware of it soon, with complete transparency.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/747391/Liverpool-News-Nabil-Fekir-Lyon-President-Transfer-KO-Rumours-Gossip
lol

Liverpool said that they were no longer interested so I said, "right, that's it, you can't have him!"

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Doubt Fekir was 'OK' the move fell through and probably still fancies the move to us,this twat Aulas is worse than a politician with his one sided horseshit but for me Fekir is more likely to be here than staying where he is,definitely not staying there so Aulas is just talking bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.