Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Nabil be leaning on?

• The executive wall. With the Shankly quote. In a suit.

• A giant pile of knee scans

• Aulas' ego

• A crutch or walking stick

• A television playing the leaked video of himself

• The contract table of course

• Fabinho, Naby, Shaqiri, and Alisson arranged in a pile

• His World Cup medal

• A gibbering Dejan Lovren, looking sullenly at said World Cup medal

• Michael Edwards' laptop, which has gained sentience and rules us all

• Leans are so 2017 - it's all about the posed screaming and badge grabbing

• Red wall, looking like a moody, hard bastard.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
There's a lot that Liverpool aren't revealing out of respect to the player. There's not been one indication that they want to proceed further with this.

There was a reason that Chelsea backed out of the deal as well.

Anfield rd Dreamer

We aren't going back to him for the price Lyon is going to quote. But he costs us only 15-20m, you think we still won't give a shot?
I don't think so. If we wanted him I'm pretty sure we'd have bought him regardless of price (within reason). And I don't think we'd have got as far as we did if it was a question of stylistic fit or quality level. Something has put us off big time.

Maria

After tonight's performance against Man City, I am sure Nabil's premium price has gone up. Does anyone think our club might change their mind and bring him in in January? I know its a long shot and wishful thinking on my part.

Limiescouse

After tonight's performance against Man City, I am sure Nabil's premium price has gone up. Does anyone think our club might change their mind and bring him in in January? I know its a long shot and wishful thinking on my part.
If we do it wont because he has impressed us with his form, or even managed to stay fit, but because the extra time gave us time to hash out the agreement we were unable to come to in the summer.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Our decision to walk away never had anything to do with his quality as a player. I doubt we come back in unless Lyon reduces their fee significantly.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Doubt we will,seems it had all to do with the injury issue,certainly little to do with his ability as a player,he is a class act.
Although Lyon's antics may have had a bit to do with it.
Time will tell!

Noo Noo

Unless his medical situation improves I think it will still be a no go.
I agree. If the stories of medical problems are true then this is just not going to happen.

I honestly cant see any purchases this January either to be honest.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I agree. If the stories of medical problems are true then this is just not going to happen.

I wouldn't say never. Whether or not we tried renegotiation, it's hard to believe that our top target for last summer would not still be considered if the price was much lower or flexibly arranged to account for the additional risk of that injury.

Noo Noo

I wouldn't say never. Whether or not we tried renegotiation, it's hard to believe that our top target for last summer would not still be considered if the price was much lower or flexibly arranged to account for the additional risk of that injury.
yeah never say never but I just think the reality is that the knee issue is what it is and it stops there.

I guess its a bit like finding your dream car but when you go and look at it there's a bucket load of rust underneath. Everything looks fantastic above but you just know that rust will bite one day. You walk away despite it hurting

Limiescouse

His medical situation will not change (at least not for the better). Our concerns are not the sort that will be minimized by 6 months or even 12 months injury free football.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Nope which is why its dead. This thread has more life I think lol;-)
Actually, I think Klopp would still have him with open arms. The issue is really the fact that after the medical (and assumedly the increased insurance costs and likelihood the knee could go pop again at any time thus making it a far riskier transfer than it was 24 hours prior) Lyon stuck to their price. If they were willing to come down or restructure the deal so it's appearance-heavy, then I think it'd be back on. The fact that they're not willing to do the former is fair enough - he's their captain and a top player after all. The fact that they're not willing to do the latter though speaks volumes.

GaryBarlow99

Actually, I think Klopp would still have him with open arms. The issue is really the fact that after the medical (and assumedly the increased insurance costs and likelihood the knee could go pop again at any time thus making it a far riskier transfer than it was 24 hours prior) Lyon stuck to their price. If they were willing to come down or restructure the deal so it's appearance-heavy, then I think it'd be back on. The fact that they're not willing to do the former is fair enough - he's their captain and a top player after all. The fact that they're not willing to do the latter though speaks volumes.
It does. The issue for them is he only has 20 months left on his contract and doesn't look like he will sign a new one. The interesting thing is how no other clubs went in for him after we pulled out. Aulas even said he was offered to Chelsea and they didn't want him. I've said it before but the whole thing is just weird.

Klopptinho

Banned Users
It does. The issue for them is he only has 20 months left on his contract and doesn't look like he will sign a new one. The interesting thing is how no other clubs went in for him after we pulled out. Aulas even said he was offered to Chelsea and they didn't want him. I've said it before but the whole thing is just weird.
Personally i think we changed our minds when klopp realised we needed to replace karius and get a world class goal keeper . That shifted the budget a lot and i heard him mention that atletico madrid wanted 100m euros for their keeper - says to me we enquired . We managed to get shaqiri and Alisson for slightly less than that but those moves put the fekir deal off the rails . Rumours that we tried to restructure the deal whilst paying the same amount would make sense . If we had managed to sell origi ings and markovic then we might have gone back in.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Reading the TIA Home Page article on Ox’s past injuries, current injury and prognosis its perhaps not surprising that the club weren’t prepared to follow up on the Fekir deal. Having made that decision I’m really not sure how or why they would now go back on it.

Noo Noo

I must admit I thought that we had gone through the medical, probably had another look / a further medical even and then decided that it wasn't to be. From then on it was all about Lyon trying to entice us back to the negotiating table and we simply didn't take up the offer.

However, I dont for one minute believe that we simply walked away and left Lyon hanging without any explanation / discussion. Perhaps restructuring was discussed at that point but then it almost comes down to a who blinks first scenario. I honestly haven't seen or heard anything that says were were looking to restructure, I honestly thought we had drawn a line through it and moved on rather than Lyon refusing to move on price but I've so wrong so often it would come as no surprise if that was the case again.

Red Spud

The one factor that makes me think this deal could still happen is that his contract expires in 2020 so transfer fee with drop if he doesn't sign a new one.

So if he stays fit all season and puts up similar numbers to last year I could see us trying to sign him in the summer for around 30m but don't see anything happening before then.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
There's the article on the main site which discusses ox and his injury and how that might have put us off signing fekir

Once bitten , twice shy.

Limiescouse

There's the article on the main site which discusses ox and his injury and how that might have put us off signing fekir

Once bitten , twice shy.
It's almost certainly nonsense.

First of all, its just a weird idea that people of the quality and experience as we have at this club would somehow have their eyes open to a risk of injury from watching what happened to Ox. They are already well aware this stuff can happen and what it means when it happens.

Second of all, the timeline makes no sense. If there was anything about Ox's injury that would have put us off Fekir we either wouldnt have entered into negotiations at all seeing as it was public knowledge he had suffered a similar injury, or we would have pulled out long before we did. Instead, even once we had the relevant information about Ox's knee and his prognosis we continued on trying to make the Fekir deal happen. Assuming it is true we pulled out when we did because of concerns over his knee, then it would have been because of the specific issue we observed in Fekir's knee, and our medical people would not have needed to experience Ox's injury to have been able to spot those issues or be concerned about them when they saw them.

Furthermore, my reading of the situation, which admittedly is partially guesswork given the lack of information coming out from our side, but is educated guesswork, is that it is not the ligament per se we were concerned with. When you damage the knee the way Fekir did there is a lot of collateral damage, primarily to the cartilage. These are not issues that are going to extend the recovery, or even really provide any extra challenges to the recovery. They do pose questions though about how well the knee in general (not the ligament specifically) will hold up to the wear and tear of being a professional athlete. Think Ledley King. The fact Fekir had to get his knee scoped 6 months or so after making his return is not proof this is a problem for him, but it is consistent with someone who will likely experience these problems. If you are looking to make a signing for a role as important as this and for that cost you want them to be able to play 250 games over that 5 year span. We seemingly looked at a knee we were concerned would likely only be able to hold up for 125. Unless we somehow change our medical opinion, this situation is unlikely to change unless we get a valuation that reflects how many games we think he is likely to be able to play.

Last edited: