Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Nabil be leaning on?

• The executive wall. With the Shankly quote. In a suit.

• A giant pile of knee scans

• Aulas' ego

• A crutch or walking stick

• A television playing the leaked video of himself

• The contract table of course

• Fabinho, Naby, Shaqiri, and Alisson arranged in a pile

• His World Cup medal

• A gibbering Dejan Lovren, looking sullenly at said World Cup medal

• Michael Edwards' laptop, which has gained sentience and rules us all

• Leans are so 2017 - it's all about the posed screaming and badge grabbing

• Red wall, looking like a moody, hard bastard.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryBarlow99

You can flip that though and say selling players could change the team dynamic especially if they are popular in the dressing room. Getting VVD last January didn't affect the dynamic and neither did selling Coutinho. We actually improved so I think the issue of changing a team dynamic by brining players in is overexaggerated a bit. It seems to stem from Newcastle's collapse years ago from bringing Asprilla in.

C

Caradoc

Did Fekir fail his actual medical? I’m not sure he did! My impression was that there were concerns that arose from his medical and a second opinion was sought. That is not the same as failing his medical as far as I am aware.

Limiescouse

If you ignore the overwhelming empiric data to support that one of the two methods have a much higher success rate - then it doesn't matter.
How much experience do you have reviewing clinical studies and other medical literature?

Surgical techniques are notoriously challenging to study traditionally, and so a basic analysis of per reviewed published literature is often misleading. When a new blood pressure pill hits the market its effects are going to be comparable in a patient in Manhattan as they are to a patient in Boise, and those effects are not going to be different 1 year from the market launch. With surgery that is not the case. There are large differences among surgeons and among surgical centers in terms of basic skill and techniques. There are differences with respect to to choice of patient and choice of requirements of the donor. There are advances made in the treatment of the donor tissue. All these things come with a steep learning curve. So, with respect to ACLs surgeries, almost the entirety of the literature on donor grafts is based on a procedure that does not reflect what a cadaver graft would look like today.

scouseheadross

Septical
You can flip that though and say selling players could change the team dynamic especially if they are popular in the dressing room. Getting VVD last January didn't affect the dynamic and neither did selling Coutinho. We actually improved so I think the issue of changing a team dynamic by brining players in is overexaggerated a bit. It seems to stem from Newcastle's collapse years ago from bringing Asprilla in.
I get your point but not great examples! Coutinho was at best a distraction and well rid of after shitting all over our first game of the season and Klopp personally! We got Virgil in asap in Jan after chasing all summer and cocking it up.

Apart from a creative spark like Fekir, there aren't gaping holes to fill and Shaq has been doing pretty well in that role when he's played. Unless its someone like Rabiot who we may get now but not in the summer, I think for once it makes sense to stick not twist.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I get your point but not great examples! Coutinho was at best a distraction and well rid of after shitting all over our first game of the season and Klopp personally! We got Virgil in asap in Jan after chasing all summer and cocking it up.

Apart from a creative spark like Fekir, there aren't gaping holes to fill and Shaq has been doing pretty well in that role when he's played. Unless its someone like Rabiot who we may get now but not in the summer, I think for once it makes sense to stick not twist.
Exactly bringing in Fekir would limit Shaqiri's minutes and considering how well he is playing and not getting in the team I doubt it's even being considered by Klopp.

There were several articles that when Liverpool found out Shaqiri was available they stopped interest in Lemar as well.

scouseheadross

Septical
Did Fekir fail his actual medical? I’m not sure he did! My impression was that there were concerns that arose from his medical and a second opinion was sought. That is not the same as failing his medical as far as I am aware.
What would be your definition of failing a medical?
The deal was all set but didn't go through due to medical concerns. What else do you call that?!

Keegans Perm

Exactly bringing in Fekir would limit Shaqiri's minutes and considering how well he is playing and not getting in the team I doubt it's even being considered by Klopp.

There were several articles that when Liverpool found out Shaqiri was available they stopped interest in Lemar as well.
I'd agree with that. It seems it would make more sense to bring Werner in if anyone as with Solanke leaving, we are bringing in someone with more quality to step in for one of the front 3 against lesser opponents.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Failing a medical.
It's not necessarily that simple. LFC may have found something in their medical that changed their valuation of Fekir - increased risk of future injuries, for example. That doesn't mean he failed the medical. It means they wanted to mitigate that risk with a lower fee - one which Aulas would not agree to.

wibseyred

It's not necessarily that simple. LFC may have found something in their medical that changed their valuation of Fekir - increased risk of future injuries, for example. That doesn't mean he failed the medical. It means they wanted to mitigate that risk with a lower fee - one which Aulas would not agree to.
Which ever way you want to make out it all falls back to one thing. What ever showed in that medical changed everything so that's a failed medical o what ever deal was agreed it's that which scuppered those terms.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Despite the vocabulary used people do realise you don't pass or fail a medical right? The doctor doesn't have a report and two stamps, one saying pass in green ink one saying fail in red ink. The medical compiles a report of a players current physical condition and then the club purchasing the players registration decides if it's worth the risk. It's a judgemental call taking into account initial outlay (fee), ongoing costs (wages & insurance premiums), likely security (chances of insurance pay out, after all pre-existing conditions are always a sticky point), projected length of service (A long contact is a negative if something major goes wrong and a positive if something minor goes wrong) and then assessing the team needs along with the state of the market (how desperate you are to address a need in the squad and are there alternatives). That's why some players "pass" a medical with one club after "failing" a medical within someone else already (such as Demba Ba and Loic Remy). The player is still in the same physical condition for both medicals, both sets of medical reports would have similar/identical findings. Just that someone like Wigan Athletic can't afford to have a player sitting in their treatment room that Newcastle United could for example.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Despite the vocabulary used people do realise you don't pass or fail a medical right? The doctor doesn't have a report and two stamps, one saying pass in green ink one saying fail in red ink. The medical compiles a report of a players current physical condition and then the club purchasing the players registration decides if it's worth the risk. It's a judgemental call taking into account initial outlay (fee), ongoing costs (wages & insurance premiums), likely security (chances of insurance pay out, after all pre-existing conditions are always a sticky point), projected length of service (A long contact is a negative if something major goes wrong and a positive if something minor goes wrong) and then assessing the team needs along with the state of the market (how desperate you are to address a need in the squad and are there alternatives). That's why some players "pass" a medical with one club after "failing" a medical within someone else already (such as Demba Ba and Loic Remy). The player is still in the same physical condition for both medicals, both sets of medical reports would have similar/identical findings. Just that someone like Wigan Athletic can't afford to have a player sitting in their treatment room that Newcastle United could for example.
It's still pass or fail because the outcome is binary. Either a player's physical condition is acceptable to a club with reference to the terms of the proposed transfer or it isn't.

Fowler's Left Peg

He was currently physically fit enough to pass the club medical. However something cropped up that told the club there ‘maybe’ issues down the line therefore the tried to negotiate some sort of insurance.

Could it not be simplified by comparing it to an MOT? Your car passes as it is deemed up to standard but it has a few advisory items where the tester feels there could be an issue?

Kopstar

★★★★★
He was currently physically fit enough to pass the club medical. However something cropped up that told the club there ‘maybe’ issues down the line therefore the tried to negotiate some sort of insurance.

Could it not be simplified by comparing it to an MOT? Your car passes as it is deemed up to standard but it has a few advisory items where the tester feels there could be an issue?
Nope, he was well enough to pass a fitness test. His physical condition, however, was not good enough within the terms of the proposed transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.