• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Fekir be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

• A giant screen playing the leaked video from last year which we'll use for VAR

• The railing at Melwood, looking forlornly at it cos he knackered his knee again

• A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

• A furious Man City fan demanding to know why THEY aren't in the picture as champions

• Big Virg, because fucking anyone can lean on him

• An enormous pile of cash that Mick Edwards saved us

• The crushed spirit of James Pearce

• His mum, because he's not fucking coming

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I know we didn't know his knee would pop but we spent a significant sum on AOC who was very injury prone and now we are going to give him a years extension for the season he missed. It's fucking weird!
It becomes a bit different once they're your player. You're invested in more ways than one.

AOC had had a few soft tissue injuries and one MCL (that he had recovered from) but there was nothing really out of the ordinary for a player who's young and explosive. Fekir had had one major injury (Cruciate Ligament Rupture) - the similar injury that AOC suffered last year. The difference here being that LFC were wholly responsible for the treatment of that injury and there were rumours that the way Fekir's injury was dealt with caused LFC concern about its long-term viability.

If the club are confident that AOC will be able to fully recover why not offer him the year's extension? It maintains his value and is a reward for a player's attitude - something that rubs off on other members of the squad and is invaluable. Particularly as it served as an excellent example and support to Brewster.

Now, if the club had offered Sturridge an extension or were to offer one for Lallana then I'd also be describing that as weird!

Flobs

FADA
Perhaps the difference between Lallana and Fekir fitness wise is that a medical assessment hasn’t revealed Lalla’s knee is about to pop?

Pointing to how much each has played over the last year is redundant, if the reason for swerving Fekir is something in his future, rather than his past.
The predictions have to be based on the past, unless you have a crystal ball.
When Lallana's knee pops we we look back knowingly and say yes we knew that was coming due to him doing so many Cryuff turns.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Seems to have received offers from china but he's not interested.

Also don't think arsenal are that interested in him despite the media reports, they might see him as an alternate to zaha though.

But either way, despite the talent of the player , might we'll be a bullet dodged

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Seems to have received offers from china but he's not interested.

Also don't think arsenal are that interested in him despite the media reports, they might see him as an alternate to zaha though.

But either way, despite the talent of the player , might we'll be a bullet dodged
Last year I really felt like we'd missed out. Now, seeing Lyon desperate to offload him somewhere, anywhere and no-one biting even at half the price we were looking at paying... not so much. It feels like there must be a reason he's generating zero interest and we were probably right to not get involved last summer or this.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Don't know why is this still open. We're not going back. You could see his body language with France last summer after what happened, his head wasn't right. That was also said about both him and Ndombele last season. However, it doesn't make him a bad player, but perhaps a bad investment long term. What he showed against City is that he's capable of really high level performances, match winning stuff right through the centre of the pitch. Technique, dribbling ability, strength, creativity, goal threat, a bit of magic about him. Stylistically, you can see that he'd probably be our best player in terms of technique and linking midfield with attack between the lines here. But as an investment, after what our club found out about him, we decided to close that chapter. Nice player to watch, hope he goes somewhere where he can stay fit and enjoy his football again, even if it's not right at one of the very best clubs, he'll keep trying to get there.

SadiosMio

Perhaps the difference between Lallana and Fekir fitness wise is that a medical assessment hasn’t revealed Lalla’s knee is about to pop?

Pointing to how much each has played over the last year is redundant, if the reason for swerving Fekir is something in his future, rather than his past.
The biggest difference for LFC is lallana already has a contract. Essentially the way we feel about fekir is probably how a lot of clubs feel about Lallana wrt to paying a fee and wages to join their club.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Can't see this happening.

Unless the club have found a secret way to transfer a fit and fully functioning knee to replace his knackered one we likely will have moved on.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to Le Parisien Fekir is close to signing for Real Betis Sevilla.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
That doesn't make sense to me. I would stay at OL over either of those clubs. Whichever club is getting him, Real Betis or Sevilla, I will be saddened to see the Fekir saga officially come to a close without him a Liverpool player. Just doesn't seem right (to me) for some reason.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

It was never about money in the end. We have avoided huge problems with this one. I'm glad.
Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion but could you elaborate further on yours. What huge problems do you believe we avoided by not signing Fekir? I am asking genuinely because I am probably on the polar opposite of that spectrum. And again, I ask because I'm genuinely interested.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion but could you elaborate further on yours. What huge problems do you believe we avoided by not signing Fekir? I am asking genuinely because I am probably on the polar opposite of that spectrum. And again, I ask because I'm genuinely interested.
I guess we’ll see over the next couple of year what happens to his knee, and whether Liverpool were right to swerve it.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
After his ACL rupture in 2016, his cartilage will worn out pretty fast and his knee will never be the same anymore, he has to do special training to build muscles on his leg and it's very difficult after an ACL rupture.. it's a mess. He has a timer in his football carreer (high level football) that is much faster than other players. I've seen lots of good players with this problem never coming back in full force.

We already have Lallana and Ox with problems. I wouldn't like having another AM with the same issue. We have money, Fékir is a good player but he isn't amazing, it's not worth it not even for free, imo. It would be much better looking for a better player, a more reliable one. It's not like Fékir is the only one in the world.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
After his ACL rupture in 2016, his cartilage will worn out pretty fast and his knee will never be the same anymore, he has to do special training to build muscles on his leg and it's very difficult after an ACL rupture.. it's a mess. He has a timer in his football carreer (high level football) that is much faster than other players. I've seen lots of good players with this problem never coming back in full force.

We already have Lallana and Ox with problems. I wouldn't like having another AM with the same issue. We have money, Fékir is a good player but he isn't amazing, it's not worth it not even for free, imo. It would be much better looking for a better player, a more reliable one. It's not like Fékir is the only one in the world.
I think he was a target whilst we assessed if Oxlade would recover, and if he did Lallana would leave he following summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think he was a target whilst we assessed if Oxlade would recover, and if he did Lallana would leave he following summer.
Ox had similar issues before he joined us didnt he? We already knew of his injury problems when we were negotiating with Lyon, it just wasnt made public. So withdrawing from the deal for Fekir after pushing hard to get the deal done makes no sense.

The only thing that makes sense is that something came up in the medical which required a further look and then left us in no doubt the condition of the knee was much worse than we had been led to believe. The fact that neither ourselves or any other top tier club came back in for him that summer, or this one would support that as being the most likely scenario.

Flobs

FADA

I didn't know Lallana had an ACL when was that?
You did miss out Gomez' potential knee problems. :)
I think your assumtions over Fékirs knee are out of order. Special training isn't at all extraordinary in modern professional football many players have individual physical training sesssions. After an ACL leg muscle strengthening can go on for quite a long time after.
I'm just wondering if you think we should look at selling Domez and AOC in the near future?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No top team seems to want to move for a player at €30 million that used to be rated at close to €60 million. In fact no good or even decent teams are seemingly willing to take the risk. All due respect to Real Betis but if they're the best team willing to take the risk with him then it says a hell of a lot for me. We will see if this is the true situation but it's looking like we were being careful (and with very very good reason) last summer.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I didn't know Lallana had an ACL when was that?
You did miss out Gomez' potential knee problems. :)
I think your assumtions over Fékirs knee are out of order. Special training isn't at all extraordinary in modern professional football many players have individual physical training sesssions. After an ACL leg muscle strengthening can go on for quite a long time after.
I'm just wondering if you think we should look at selling Domez and AOC in the near future?
If the car you own develops a fault you work on it, pay to get it up to speed. Especially if it's a fucking brilliant car except the faulty part. That's a lot different than forking out on a brand new car that you know will definitely develop that fault. Especially when you can buy a different car, just as good, similar money, without a strong likelihood of developing the fault.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I guess we’ll see over the next couple of year what happens to his knee, and whether Liverpool were right to swerve it.
I agree Mascot, it will be interesting to watch his career in the next phase. I wish him nothing but top level success.

I respect your opinion. However, I believe much of this is overstated. Everything written here, just change the name and the exact same could be said about a number of players in our own squad.

No top team seems to want to move for a player at €30 million that used to be rated at close to €60 million. In fact no good or even decent teams are seemingly willing to take the risk. All due respect to Real Betis but if they're the best team willing to take the risk with him then it says a hell of a lot for me. We will see if this is the true situation but it's looking like we were being careful (and with very very good reason) last summer.
Yes and no. I don't necessarily disagree with you but the player also has a say, and holds the biggest hammer. We don't know how it's going behind the scenes. By all available information, the player was never the same after the bizarre turn of events with LFC. Other PL clubs possibly could have courted him and he could have possibly just said NO, If I am coming to England it's only for Liverpool. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a player take a one club stance.

EDIT: And if that Real Betis link is real, he must REALLY hate life at OL. That is a very strange choice of a club.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
And for the record, yes I very much agree there are other players in the world just as good that the club could target. Our future success is not depending on whether or not we sign Nabil Fekir. My posts and my opinions are very much in a vacuum. I was excited to have this player in our side and to have Jürgen work with him. My heart goes out to the young man.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yes and no. I don't necessarily disagree with you but the player also has a say, and holds the biggest hammer. We don't know how it's going behind the scenes. By all available information, the player was never the same after the bizarre turn of events with LFC. Other PL clubs possibly could have courted him and he could have possibly just said NO, If I am coming to England it's only for Liverpool. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a player take a one club stance.

EDIT: And if that Real Betis link is real, he must REALLY hate life at OL. That is a very strange choice of a club.
Yes and no. If it really is happening (the Real Betis sale) he knows the dream of coming to us is over. Pretty sure most or all the Prem teams would be able to outbid them on fees and/or wages. Even if he has some strange loyalty to us there are much better (and much richer) teams in Spain, Italy, France, Germany and elsewhere. It isn't Premier League or Real Betis.

Flobs

FADA
If the car you own develops a fault you work on it, pay to get it up to speed. Especially if it's a fucking brilliant car except the faulty part. That's a lot different than forking out on a brand new car that you know will definitely develop that fault. Especially when you can buy a different car, just as good, similar money, without a strong likelihood of developing the fault.
What has that got to do with what I asked? :eh?:

ptt

2020, head of the table.

Unless I’m very much mistaken, no medical can reveal that any joint is about to pop. If it’s functionig fine now, who’s to say it’s going to go bang tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.