• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Fekir be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

• A giant screen playing the leaked video from last year which we'll use for VAR

• The railing at Melwood, looking forlornly at it cos he knackered his knee again

• A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

• A furious Man City fan demanding to know why THEY aren't in the picture as champions

• Big Virg, because fucking anyone can lean on him

• An enormous pile of cash that Mick Edwards saved us

• The crushed spirit of James Pearce

• His mum, because he's not fucking coming

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flobs

FADA
Another cracking player spotted by Klopp :well done:
Weren't we looking at him before his ACL that kept him out a year?
I have the distinct feeling I thought we would look at him again if he showed promise after coming back. Then again I do imagine a lot of things. Certainly don't care. He was the best player in France before his ACL and looks to have got back to that level though is arguably not the best player in France now.

Jayus20

Weren't we looking at him before his ACL that kept him out a year?
I have the distinct feeling I thought we would look at him again if he showed promise after coming back. Then again I do imagine a lot of things. Certainly don't care. He was the best player in France before his ACL and looks to have got back to that level though is arguably not the best player in France now.
Not sure on that but my mate has been raving about this lad for the last 2 years. Last year when I was talking to him about us potentially going for Lacazette he said we shouldn't even consider Lacazette, we should be going for Fekir as he's the far more talented and far better suited player to Liverpool. The guy knows quite a lot about him this is how he described him: "He's very creative, superb passer and good goal record too. Was always regarded as being a level above Lacazette even when he was smashing loads of goals in". He's watched him plenty and read a lot about him over the last couple of years.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
This starting to look good,hope so,good signing ,done early on,now for some more.
Encouraging hearing JH making pretty positive noises and apparently acknowledging we need more quality depth.
Hope so,anyway, we've seen this shortfall for a long time.
Need to bring in quality,though,we saw enough of the "hidden diamonds"rubbish when the fella who went to Celtic was manager.
I am impressed with Klopp's eye for a player so far,long may it continue.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Good player but Naby Keïta can do the same, we need an nr 6.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Jorginho is our target for the #6 position if Emre Can leaves.

Naby Keita is a #8 - a box to box player - a hustler - not a technician or playmaker like Coutinho.

Nabil Fekir is a #8, #10, Striker, second striker and Winger also.

From my limited understanding I'd expand on this a little.

We need a number 6 to replace Can who has also had a lot of number 8 playing time because we had to wait a year for Keita. Jorginho is a number 6 that can "do a job" at number 8 and number 10 if needed.

We are bringing in Keita who is an absolute wet dream for what Klopp wants for a number 8. He can cover number 6 and number 10 but why would you choose to when he is so perfect for that box to box role and he'd be an inferior player in those roles.

Fekir seems like Firmino when Klopp took him and we know what Firmino offered was exactly what Klopp wanted at number 9. They are both what other managers would see more as a number 10 but not seemingly Klopp. Like Firmino he can do a job wide when needed but doesn't seem to offer the pace Klopp prefers from his wingers. He could also play the number 8 position but when he does itd probably be more like when Coutinho did for Klopp this season and we'd end up in more a 4-2-4 than a 4-3-3 with a very fluid front 4 in front of a 2 man base.

That's my take on the situation and I think the three are very separate and very different players. We could easily see all three on the pitch together regularly and itd then just be a case of which other three midfielders or attackers would be joining them.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
The ACL is a bit of a worry in terms of it potentially recurring in the future (just look at Ings...), but in practically every other respect Fekir sounds like he'd be an excellent addition to the squad. Versatility is nothing to be sniffed at, either.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Jorginho is our target for the #6 position if Emre Can leaves.

Naby Keita is a #8 - a box to box player - a hustler - not a technician or playmaker like Coutinho.

Nabil Fekir is a #8, #10, Striker, second striker and Winger also.
I think Keïta is more than that, I've been watching Leipzig closely since Keïta name came up as a reinforcement for us. He can put others in front of the goalkeeper with those clever little true passes things Ferik is good at too. Look I don't mind if he comes lol but we need a #6 more IMO.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think Keïta is more than that, I've been watching Leipzig closely since Keïta name came up as a reinforcement for us. He can put others in front of the goalkeeper with those clever little true passes things Ferik is good at too. Look I don't mind if he comes lol but we need a #6 more IMO.
The thing we need most is someone in the squad who can play like Firmino. We are 100% reliant on Firmino playing to play our first choice tactics. Without Firmino on the pitch We can't play Plan A and have to play Plan B or C with Ings or Salah up top. That can't be right. More I think of it more this rumour makes sense. No reason Fekir and Firmino can't play at same time but we'd have two options for that 9/false 9 position Klopp builds his attack around.

gr_sounder

The ACL is a bit of a worry in terms of it potentially recurring in the future (just look at Ings...), but in practically every other respect Fekir sounds like he'd be an excellent addition to the squad. Versatility is nothing to be sniffed at, either.
I'm not worried about the ACL.... when surgically repaired, the new "ACL" is typically stronger than the last one. The reason that it may have a recurring injury (I've torn the my right ACL twice) is do to a) bad luck (my situation), b) another issue int eh knee that might not have been fixed or checked during the surgery, c) particular movements that make it vulnerable. This last one is the concern... is there a playing/running/tackling style that makes it vulnerable.

So I wouldn't worry too much about a prior ACL injury... (knock on wood).

sterlcoutidge

I can't see him in a midfield three, don't think it suits his game, he reminds me of benzema/suarez more than de bruyne/gotze. I think Klopp is moving back to his 4231 formation that he used so much at dortmund. Think we'll line up as

fekir
mane firmino salah
dm keita
which reminds me quite a lot of klopps teams at dortmund. For example:

lewandowski
reus gotze blazcykowski
bender gundogan
The main difference is that all four of our attackers are harder working and primarily goal scorers, whereas dortmund had a creator in gotze/ kagawa. I'd be excited to see if it works. Think Fekir might step on salah and firmino's toes a bit. I've quite liked having three in midfield the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.