• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Fekir be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

• A giant screen playing the leaked video from last year which we'll use for VAR

• The railing at Melwood, looking forlornly at it cos he knackered his knee again

• A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

• A furious Man City fan demanding to know why THEY aren't in the picture as champions

• Big Virg, because fucking anyone can lean on him

• An enormous pile of cash that Mick Edwards saved us

• The crushed spirit of James Pearce

• His mum, because he's not fucking coming

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
From what I've read Lyon are heading for Champions League qualification sitting in second place in Ligue 1. With two games to go, both Monaco and Europa League finalists Marseille can both catch Lyon for the race of an automatic Champions League spot. But if they finish in second position, it will be interesting to see whether Fekir will stay at Lyon or make a move. (and we have to qualify as well)

Imo Fekir is their captain in a decisive moment of their season, there is really no need to unsettle the player any further until everything will be clear no? We shouldn't complain about other clubs "doing these things" to us while we are doing "somehow the same".

Jayus20

I can't see him in a midfield three, don't think it suits his game, he reminds me of benzema/suarez more than de bruyne/gotze. I think Klopp is moving back to his 4231 formation that he used so much at dortmund. Think we'll line up as

fekir
mane firmino salah
dm keita
which reminds me quite a lot of klopps teams at dortmund. For example:

lewandowski
reus gotze blazcykowski
bender gundogan
The main difference is that all four of our attackers are harder working and primarily goal scorers, whereas dortmund had a creator in gotze/ kagawa. I'd be excited to see if it works. Think Fekir might step on salah and firmino's toes a bit. I've quite liked having three in midfield the past few years.
It wouldn't work with Salah in my opinion. The moment you bring him to a RAM he becomes far less effective because he can't play off the back line so much. Maybe a 4-2-2-2 with Salah and Firmino the most advanced but I don't see us moving to a 4-2-3-1 as our main formation but of course you could be right. I think we'll stick with a 4-3-3 with Fekir mainly helping rotate our front 3, with him playing the odd game in midfield to help break through more defensive teams.

Flobs

FADA
From what I've read Lyon are heading for Champions League qualification sitting in second place in Ligue 1. With two games to go, both Monaco and Europa League finalists Marseille can both catch Lyon for the race of an automatic Champions League spot. But if they finish in second position, it will be interesting to see whether Fekir will stay at Lyon or make a move. (and we have to qualify as well)

Imo Fekir is their captain in a decisive moment of their season, there is really no need to unsettle the player any further until everything will be clear no? We shouldn't complain about other clubs "doing these things" to us while we are doing "somehow the same".
I think that it is evident that Fekir will leave L'OL this window judging from what we have heard. You have to understand the context of French football at the moment. All the clubs outside PSG (and Monaco when their benefactor decides to put money in) are selling clubs. They can not survive otherwise. If you can sell one player and allow you to keep the rest of the group as well as reinforcing with a few players that in 3 years will possibly be worth 5 times what you paid you do it.
Specifically on Lyon they don't want another Lacazette effect and in fact that is noway possible in the present climate. Also they can not afford to pay what Fekir will be demanding. To sell Fekir at the start of the window allows Lyon to do their business and have everyone available for preseason. For Lyon it's a no brainer imo.

As for your second point well even if we have stretched the rules in the past we certainly haven't In this case.

From the information we have had we know that LFC and Chelsea have had contacts. Fekir will chose the club in CL imo (he will use whoever he goes to as a stepping stone to Real).

Dimitriy

From my limited understanding I'd expand on this a little.

We need a number 6 to replace Can who has also had a lot of number 8 playing time because we had to wait a year for Keita. Jorginho is a number 6 that can "do a job" at number 8 and number 10 if needed.

We are bringing in Keita who is an absolute wet dream for what Klopp wants for a number 8. He can cover number 6 and number 10 but why would you choose to when he is so perfect for that box to box role and he'd be an inferior player in those roles.

Fekir seems like Firmino when Klopp took him and we know what Firmino offered was exactly what Klopp wanted at number 9. They are both what other managers would see more as a number 10 but not seemingly Klopp. Like Firmino he can do a job wide when needed but doesn't seem to offer the pace Klopp prefers from his wingers. He could also play the number 8 position but when he does itd probably be more like when Coutinho did for Klopp this season and we'd end up in more a 4-2-4 than a 4-3-3 with a very fluid front 4 in front of a 2 man base.

That's my take on the situation and I think the three are very separate and very different players. We could easily see all three on the pitch together regularly and itd then just be a case of which other three midfielders or attackers would be joining them.
I have a friend who uses the following..."I don't know much about brain surgery, but let me explain you something about it" :-)...On a serious, about the previous...Bringing Jorginho, wouldn't it be to much of players who "enjoy" holding the ball. Isn't it better if the club brings different type of "6", taller, stronger, someone who will pass the ball swiftly...I have that doubt. Nontheless, Klopp has assembled an amazing group of players :well done:

Jayus20

I have a friend who uses the following..."I don't know much about brain surgery, but let me explain you something about it" :-)...On a serious, about the previous...Bringing Jorginho, wouldn't it be to much of players who "enjoy" holding the ball. Isn't it better if the club brings different type of "6", taller, stronger, someone who will pass the ball swiftly...I have that doubt. Nontheless, Klopp has assembled an amazing group of players :well done:
Plain and simple answer to that in my opinion is no. We want someone who can control the tempo of a game from deep. Jorginho can swiftly move the ball if he wants to and he can also put it on a dime from 50 yards if he wants to. Similar with Neves.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
There is an article on the TIA main site about Fekir and it says that the transfer window opens on 17 May. I have also seen this date mentioned by the Manchester Evening news but it is wrong. Whilst FIFA say that national associations must allow a transfer window of 12 weeks this is what the FA have (9 June to 31 August). It was the Premier League's decision to curtail that period - they don't get to simply move the entire transfer window that is set by the FA's notification to FIFA. That is a collective agreement by the Premier League.

I've yet to see TIA main site ever get the date of the transfer windows correct. As mentioned previously domestic transfers can happen from midnight this coming Sunday/Monday. Incoming international transfers between 9 June and 9 August (for Premier League).
How many of your 8,461 posts are clearing up this subject? Half?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
How many of your 8,461 posts are clearing up this subject? Half?
It's got to be close mate! Jack Lusby rarely gets anything right - I'm just grateful that they're not posted in the forums anymore so I'm now much less likely to read them - the Fekir article on the home page is the first TIA article I've read in about a year and only then to see if there was a solid link I could use for opening his rumour thread (still haven't found one - hope that doesn't get me in trouble with the mods!).

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We're a bit more relaxed these days. As long as there is plenty of noise, and it's not a spurious link, starting a thread is fine.

Dimitriy

Plain and simple answer to that in my opinion is no. We want someone who can control the tempo of a game from deep. Jorginho can swiftly move the ball if he wants to and he can also put it on a dime from 50 yards if he wants to. Similar with Neves.
Yes, it has substance (if it was about Neves, I wouldn'd have mention it...he can come from the bench more often). I didn't put it in the reply, but I meant it defencively as well, especially in the PL. Also, if I am correct, in an average, a player controlls the ball about 3 mins per game. Having that as a non-written rule...even with this team, we are good with possession of the ball. With Fekir and Keita, some of the guys will have to "waive their rights" from owning the ball, and including jorginho, the space can get cramped and we mustn't in any way impede the comfort SMF must "enjoy". Again, of course, everything you said about Jorginho stands !

Jayus20

Yes, it has substance (if it was about Neves, I wouldn'd have mention it...he can come from the bench more often). I didn't put it in the reply, but I meant it defencively as well, especially in the PL. Also, if I am correct, in an average, a player controlls the ball about 3 mins per game. Having that as a non-written rule...even with this team, we are good with possession of the ball. With Fekir and Keita, some of the guys will have to "waive their rights" from owning the ball, and including jorginho, the space can get cramped and we mustn't in any way impede the comfort SMF must "enjoy". Again, of course, everything you said about Jorginho stands !
As long as we have some aerially strong CB's I'm sure we'll be alright. Well it's a very easy thing to work out... 90 minutes 22 players averaging like 4 minutes in possession per player however generally we have a more possession than most, especially our CB's and midfielders. I get what you're saying but I'm sure Klopp would have no problem making them all work in tandem and give them all their specific roles.

DB#8 - LFC

I'll believe it when it's confirmed. Like the Lemar supposedly done deal reported not too long ago

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
The ACL is a bit of a worry in terms of it potentially recurring in the future (just look at Ings...), but in practically every other respect Fekir sounds like he'd be an excellent addition to the squad. Versatility is nothing to be sniffed at, either.
On the money,if his ACL holds up his versatility will be very useful,especially given our lack of serious depth in some areas.

kpt

Nabil Fekir to Liverpool reports "are false", according to the player's father. "He wants to play CL football with his formative club," he told @oetl. #LFC

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Nabil Fekir to Liverpool transfer dismissed - by a man who knows best
Player's father insists France international has not even spoken to Reds boss Jurgen Klopp

Of suggestions the player had held talks with Reds boss Klopp, Fekir's father added: “I can guarantee you that he never met him.

“His dream is to play in the Champions League with his boyhood club.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/nabil-fekir-liverpool-transfer-dismissed-14637960.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Phil123

Nabil Fekir to Liverpool transfer dismissed - by a man who knows best
Player's father insists France international has not even spoken to Reds boss Jurgen Klopp

Of suggestions the player had held talks with Reds boss Klopp, Fekir's father added: “I can guarantee you that he never met him.

“His dream is to play in the Champions League with his boyhood club.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/nabil-fekir-liverpool-transfer-dismissed-14637960.amp?__twitter_impression=true
Pulisic it is then ;-)

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
Anything can happen at this point anyways

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
Chance Lyon won't qualify for the CL, so maybe keeping their options open for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.