Nabil Fekir (AM/ST) Lyon

What will Fekir be leaning on?

• Freshly polished contract table

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • Coutinho's ghost

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Wall of a million sponsors

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Fabinho, leaning on Keita, all propped up by big Virg.

Votes: 33 24.1%
  • Smug Klopp

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • Michael Edwards, although you still can't see his face

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Echo Sub Editor's rhyming dictionary

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Melwood wall. Not the one with a bus stop cock drawn on it.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • A crutch borrowed off The Ox.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Somewhat optimistically for the lad, Illuvatar's todger.

Votes: 13 9.5%

• Total voters

GermanRed

Remember those "Coutinho wasn't a Klopp player he just made do as he was so good?" why is Fekir much different/better?
Here's the leader of the 'Coutinho wasn't a Klopp type of player' movement writing:tongue:

Nabil Fekir: Was fouled more times (105) than any other player in Ligue 1 last season; Conversely, only Ivan Santini (79) committed more fouls than Fekir (72) in France's top tier last term

That numbers prove that he is heavily involved in the games he features in. Commiting fouls not always a bad thing - comminting them as an attacker is a sign of pressing and back tracking (some Coutinho weaknesses IMO) and probably means that most of the fouls happened in opponents half and not around his own box. I don't think Coutinho commited 72 fouls during his whole Liverpool career.

Don't think Coutinho can improve much more right now - Fekir still has a lot of potential that could be unlocked by Klopp. Coutinho probably a bit better with the ball. O magico is gone but we could soon have Le magicien.

vjcpatriot

Aulas fancies that he is a tough negotiator. Therefore if any transfer went through in just 1-2 weeks time he would feel like he took a hit to his reputation. If the deal really isn't dead but just slumbering, then we are going to have to wait till the Finals is over until talks start up again.

I'm still wary of the medicals but what do I know, I didn't actually see them. Was the knee operation that big of a deal. Is it hanging by a small piece of cartilage and could give out at any time?
https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/nabil-fekir-failed-liverpool-medical/

Whatever the reason, the talk of the deal still going on and on and on. So let's just wait and see then. A bit concerning that Fekir is not featuring much in the World Cup. If I saw him running around for about 60 minutes, fully fit, it would ease me mind that the knee issue is greatly exaggerated.

it's hard for me to imagine grown adults going through this extensive a charade, or what aulas gets out of this

but i think the deal has been done, and, for some obscure reason, aulas insists on this dog & pony show of going back & forth

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Absolutely certain now that the delay is Aulas,Lyon grandstanding.
Can,t believe if we do continue to talk that there can be anything at all in the medical brouhaha .We would move on,why buy a crock,when we surely don’t need to.
Don’t see anything ominous in his lack of serious World Cup minutes,either!

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Absolutely certain now that the delay is Aulas,Lyon grandstanding.
Can,t believe if we do continue to talk that there can be anything at all in the medical brouhaha .We would move on,why buy a crock,when we surely don’t need to.
Don’t see anything ominous in his lack of serious World Cup minutes,either!
I think the current prevailing narrative, that we wanted to use the findings of the medical to renegotiate the payment structure of the deal, is the correct one. If not for the World Cup then I think he'd be a Liverpool player already. By all accounts we aren't looking to pay less, just spread the payments over the length of his contract - I'm not entirely sure how that mitigates against his injury flaring up again in the future, perhaps we'd build in clauses to reduce or even cancel the payments if that happens?

Regardless, the problems don't seem to be insurmountable so think this one probably still gets done.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I think the current prevailing narrative, that we wanted to use the findings of the medical to renegotiate the payment structure of the deal, is the correct one. If not for the World Cup then I think he'd be a Liverpool player already. By all accounts we aren't looking to pay less, just spread the payments over the length of his contract - I'm not entirely sure how that mitigates against his injury flaring up again in the future, perhaps we'd build in clauses to reduce or even cancel the payments if that happens?

Regardless, the problems don't seem to be insurmountable so think this one probably still gets done.
If they are insurmountable perhaps Lyon secretly share our concerns over his long-term fitness?

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
If they are insurmountable perhaps Lyon secretly share our concerns over his long-term fitness?
Interesting thought. Hard to say until it's resolved one way or the other! Would be interested to get your take on how restructuring the payments (and apparently not reducing the already-agreed fee) would protect us or mitigate against his ACL flaring up again were he to sign.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Interesting thought. Hard to say until it's resolved one way or the other! Would be interested to get your take on how restructuring the payments (and apparently not reducing the already-agreed fee) would protect us or mitigate against his ACL flaring up again were he to sign.
Restructuring simply by agreeing a revised instalment plan spreading the cost of payment won't, in itself, address that issue. It would need to re-apportion part of the previously agreed guaranteed element to one of contingency payments, such that the payments depended on his fitness. I personally think that a better way of doing it would be to try and obtain insurance against the risk that he breaks down and say that the equivalent cost of the premium payable on that insurance is withheld (from Lyon) during the lifetime of Fekir's contract but paid out to Lyon at the end, if the event insured did not arise (ie his breakdown). Lyon won't like it, obviously, so it may need a compromise whereby Lyon are only on the hook for a % (maybe 50%?) of the insurance premium (so only half that value is withheld).

That's all assuming that we really are still interested notwithstanding the medical concerns.

Jayus20

I don't really know the lad but surely if we want to restructure the agreement then there is a major issue. Which in turn suggests we may have actually walked away. Thoughts.
Or it’s not a major issue, it’s a minor issue but one we want insuring against. If it was a major issue we would have walked away like we did with Remy but we clearly haven’t walked away which suggests it’s not that big of an issue but one which does potentially pose a risk in the future.

Not sure about that. The most recent story appears to vindicate Kristian Walsh/Phil Mcmulty & Rory Smith's comments about us not renegotiating and simply walking away. Perhaps that is a longer term strategy aimed at getting a more favourable deal. One of them claimed we had refused to negotiate on the Saturday when Lyon tried to, and this story simply appears to be an extension to that - Lyon trying to negotiate but no sign we are going back in. However, with more medical info that might shift, but i dont see enough smoke here to think we are cutting a deal.

Jayus20

Not sure about that. The most recent story appears to vindicate Kristian Walsh/Phil Mcmulty & Rory Smith's comments about us not renegotiating and simply walking away. Perhaps that is a longer term strategy aimed at getting a more favourable deal. One of them claimed we had refused to negotiate on the Saturday when Lyon tried to, and this story simply appears to be an extension to that - Lyon trying to negotiate but no sign we are going back in. However, with more medical info that might shift, but i dont see enough smoke here to think we are cutting a deal.
Don’t see enough smoke? They’ve not shut up about it even since we apparently “walked away”. If we’d walked away then the deal would be dead and there’d be no reason to discuss it just like after Remy failed his. Maddock has been pretty reliable lately and he’s saying there’s definitely a good possibility we will go back in for Fekir if we can renegotiate the price. Don’t know how much more smoke you want tbh.

Don’t see enough smoke? They’ve not shut up about it even since we apparently “walked away”. If we’d walked away then the deal would be dead and there’d be no reason to discuss it just like after Remy failed his. Maddock has been pretty reliable lately and he’s saying there’s definitely a good possibility we will go back in for Fekir if we can renegotiate the price. Don’t know how much more smoke you want tbh.
Of course they havent shut up, but I dont see how that equates to smoke - short of the deal having already gone through, they would have said the same thing about any other situation whether to show strength, protect value of their asset or drum up further bids.

All of it is coming from sources around Lyon or French twitter feeds regurgitating news from media outlets in the UK who have no links to the club and simply jumping on every comment looking for something to confirm continued interest, none from our reliables. Maddock is very hit and miss, certainly dont think he is all that reliable. Was it him who was reporting us going in for Oblak when everyone else was naming Alisson as our GK target? Saying we could go back in for him could be him just covering himself - i dont think anyone has said different -

Shame on you. I thought you are staunch Shaqiri supporter. :tongue::tongue::tongue:
He's a deal that always only makes sense in the context of what else we are doing this transfer window. Fabinho, Keita, Fekir and Alisson deals all are more required. I simply don't see a negative with Shaqiri as a more high profile/expensive player for that back up winger role means other (more needed) deals may not get completed. As far as budget winger options go Shaqiri is a lot better than other options!

Aulas fancies that he is a tough negotiator. Therefore if any transfer went through in just 1-2 weeks time he would feel like he took a hit to his reputation. If the deal really isn't dead but just slumbering, then we are going to have to wait till the Finals is over until talks start up again.

I'm still wary of the medicals but what do I know, I didn't actually see them. Was the knee operation that big of a deal. Is it hanging by a small piece of cartilage and could give out at any time?
https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/nabil-fekir-failed-liverpool-medical/

Whatever the reason, the talk of the deal still going on and on and on. So let's just wait and see then. A bit concerning that Fekir is not featuring much in the World Cup. If I saw him running around for about 60 minutes, fully fit, it would ease me mind that the knee issue is greatly exaggerated.
French diplomacy. Everyone gets to have their say and the time to say it then go home to sleep on it. lol

Jayus20

Of course they havent shut up, but I dont see how that equates to smoke - short of the deal having already gone through, they would have said the same thing about any other situation whether to show strength, protect value of their asset or drum up further bids.

All of it is coming from sources around Lyon or French twitter feeds regurgitating news from media outlets in the UK who have no links to the club and simply jumping on every comment looking for something to confirm continued interest, none from our reliables. Maddock is very hit and miss, certainly dont think he is all that reliable. Was it him who was reporting us going in for Oblak when everyone else was naming Alisson as our GK target? Saying we could go back in for him could be him just covering himself - i dont think anyone has said different -
Well what do you seriously expect from our end after the Van Dijk fiasco? We clearly try and keep our mouth shut now so obviously not going to be any smoke from this end. Even while the transfer was on there was barely anything sourced from our end until it was near enough complete. So trying to use the lack of smoke from our end as evidence for it not happening is pretty daft seeing as even when it was happening there wasn't any and lets not forget the Fabinho transfer.

Maddock generally has seemed very reliable lately, not so much last year but this year he has. Yeah he said we preferred Oblak over Alisson but we were interested in both, but Joyce also said we were interested in both so again not really sure how that shows unreliability. I'm more than confident the deal will be resurrected, especially as Fekir has apparently made it very clear to Aulas he wants to come to us and that Lyon are making a move for Ziyech and have apparently been in contact with Ajax. Plenty of smoke as I said.

Last edited:

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Maddock generally has seemed very reliable lately, not so much last year but this year he has.
Forgive me for being so daft but how, when we've only made one new signing this summer and the first news of it was like 1 hour before it , could anyone possibly be considered reliable? Are we handing out brownie points for anyone shooting down random rumours now? Does that make someone reliable? Next we'll be patting people on the back for predicting the sun will rise tomorrow?

Jayus20

Forgive me for being so daft but how, when we've only made one new signing this summer and the first news of it was like 1 hour before it , could anyone possibly be considered reliable? Are we handing out brownie points for anyone shooting down random rumours now? Does that make someone reliable? Next we'll be patting people on the back for predicting the sun will rise tomorrow?
I'm saying he's been reliable because most of the time he's the first to say the Liverpool related stuff and then it's regularly repeated by Joyce later on and we all know Joyce is pretty reliable so by association so shoud Maddock be if he's beating Joyce to the punchline. No one knew about Fabinho, that doesn't make anyone unreliable. Unreliability is spreading misinformation which Maddock and Joyce don't ever seem to do, which is the exact reason why Joyce has the reputation he does.

Jayus20

Okay so Maddock just reported this "Klopp has ruled out a move in the summer transfer window for a replacement goalkeeper." so you know what, I take it back I don't want Maddock to be reliable anymore :indifferent: I'd laugh, but it's honestly not even funny at this point tbh. I really bloody hope Ward is world class.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Okay so Maddock just reported this "Klopp has ruled out a move in the summer transfer window for a replacement goalkeeper." so you know what, I take it back I don't want Maddock to be reliable anymore :indifferent: I'd laugh, but it's honestly not even funny at this point tbh. I really bloody hope Ward is world class.
Unfortunately he clearly isn't. He can't even impress enough in training for more than a year so f.ck knows why he might now be considered the answer. Either he is the answer and Klopp is shit at realising [he may have a blind spot with keepers but I don't believe it goes to the extent of not realising the best keeper between Karius and Mignolet was actually the Welsh bloke keeping them company during training] - or he's not. My money's on not.

He may be decent for a low level PL team but I very much doubt he's good enough for Liverpool.

Hope he shoves these words right back in my face and makes me look a right c.nt.

Jayus20

Unfortunately he clearly isn't. He can't even impress enough in training for more than a year so f.ck knows why he might now be considered the answer. Either he is the answer and Klopp is shit at realising [he may have a blind spot with keepers but I don't believe it goes to the extent of not realising the best keeper between Karius and Mignolet was actually the Welsh bloke keeping them company during training] - or he's not. My money's on not.

He may be decent for a low level PL team but I very much doubt he's good enough for Liverpool.

Hope he shoves these words right back in my face and makes me look a right c.nt.
Well the reasoning I've heard that he wasn't given a chance before wasn't based on ability but a poor attitude and we've seen what Klopp is like with players with poor attitudes (Sakho). I do think Ward has shown he's a decent keeper in the two games so far. I tell you though there are two things that do stick out in my mind with Ward and one is a video of 4 saves in one game from his time at Aberdeen and then the other is that save he made against Atletico last preseason, I mean that save was just truly unbelievable. I'll link them both here:

The first two saves are decent, but honestly those second two are world class. I mean I saw Oblak pull off a very similar save to that 3rd one against Chelsea this season and that one blew me away as well:
look how similar they are, crazy!

And then go to 0.57 on this video and you'll see the save I mean:
Just incredible.

See those saves give me hope. But whether he'll be good enough consistently I don't know. I do agree with you though, for me I always thought he'd be a decent low level PL keeper but maybe he will surprise us.

Gazmaninaus

Well what is interesting is Klopp said he is showing maturity which may be an indication he had an attitude problem previously. However anyone his age should have an attitude if your third choice behind Karius and Migs. That would certainly piss me off.

Gazmaninaus

However back to Fekir. I would not expect any information to come out of our club if he genuinely failed a medical. It's a private matter. However I would expect a lot of bravado the other way round as he is still a selling asset. How many used car dealers tell you the motors fucked. They don't. They tell you it has premium paint. Chrome wheels. Air conditioning. Leather seats. You find out the motor is shite on the test drive.

Jayus20

I thought this is Fekir thread, sorry i am off.
Yeah my apologies, forgot what thread I was in, didn't mean to derail it with Ward stuff.

However back to Fekir. I would not expect any information to come out of our club if he genuinely failed a medical. It's a private matter. However I would expect a lot of bravado the other way round as he is still a selling asset. How many used car dealers tell you the motors fucked. They don't. They tell you it has premium paint. Chrome wheels. Air conditioning. Leather seats. You find out the motor is shite on the test drive.
I honestly don't really feel it shows much either way. Like you can manipulate the situation from both sides to suit near enough whatever agenda you want. Whatever the case though I really do think it's far from over and I'd be very shocked if he isn't a Liverpool player before the season starts. For me, the fact we haven't been linked with any alternatives bar Dybala which was very quickly dismissed says enough to me to think we're still clearly very interested in Fekir. But then you could also say no one knew anything about Fabinho so could be the same situation here with an alternative which is exactly my point of we can fit it to whatever agenda we like haha. But in my head all the clues point towards it being renegotiated once the world cup is over. Like especially French journalists saying we're his dream club, like that really won't help get others interested in him, it'd do the complete opposite if he's a selling asset lol