Nathaniel Clyne (RB) to Cardiff, Fulham or Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
O right, you'd think "We've played 28 games this season and Clyne got about 200 minutes of football. Much ado about nothing." means we won't miss him because he's not played much this season.

I think we've ended up overplaying TAA and having proper cover (Clyne) allowing Gomez (when back) to play center back is a better set up. He is also better than Moreno at left back.

I'm also known to be wrong and don't manage a Premier League football club.
Is he better than Moreno at left back? His two sub appearances recently weren't very good.

If we revert back to the 4231 that frees Milner up to cover at full back. Problem solved.

redfanman

TIA Regular
O right, you'd think "We've played 28 games this season and Clyne got about 200 minutes of football. Much ado about nothing." means we won't miss him because he's not played much this season.

I think we've ended up overplaying TAA and having proper cover (Clyne) allowing Gomez (when back) to play center back is a better set up. He is also better than Moreno at left back.

I'm also known to be wrong and don't manage a Premier League football club.
I think that Klopp has probably decided that having Milner and Fabinho available but not playing every game in the middle allows them to back up Trent or Robbo. Clyne hasnt had much game time when fit, so Klopp must think keeping him offers no benefits.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I’m a bit disappointed in this rather keep him than have Moreno near the team. If the idea is to have Milner in there then that’s fine.
Judging by those few games we've lacked in fullbacks, I think it will be Milner that is going to be used to backup both Robertson and Alexander-Arnold.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Judging by those few games we've lacked in fullbacks, I think it will be Milner that is going to be used to backup both Robertson and Alexander-Arnold.

We may even see Gomez as our first choice RB and Trent as his back up.

FilthyBloke

Seems strange selling anyone now, considering how our fixture list could look by May.
Apart from markovic I don’t see why we can’t wait. Unless we have signings lined up.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Klopp still probably believes a lot in the Gomez/Lovren rotation with Trent in defence, plus other options like Millie (RB/LB), Fabinho (RB/CB), someone like Hoever potentially getting his first minutes in lesser games, etc. Let's just hope Clyne stays fit, plays regular football, gets more clubs interested and we get the best possible price for him next summer.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I think that Klopp has probably decided that having Milner and Fabinho available but not playing every game in the middle allows them to back up Trent or Robbo. Clyne hasnt had much game time when fit, so Klopp must think keeping him offers no benefits.
But we need to keep our team fit. Fullback is probably the most demanding position in our team.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Strange one if true... if Clyne wants to leave, why doesn't he look for a club ready to transfer him permanently? It's not as if he's a youngster in need of game time, for his development or something... and just when he's coming back from his terrible injury issues, he's offloaded on loan? Scratching my head at this...

I'm generally against weakening the squad in the midst of the season. In this case, I'm even more against it. Clyne can efficiently cover right back and left back. So, what happens if Robertson gets a season-ending injury? We're stuck with Moreno. What happens if Trent gets injured? We are forced to play Gomez on the right when he comes back. That is, if Lovren can stay fit for the rest of the season... a tough ask.

And what happens if both of them get injured at the same time before Gomez comes back? Moreno on one side and Milner or Fabinho on the right, which would make our midfield depth thinner, and our defense much more prone to conceding goals. And it's not as if another youngster is about to break into the first team for these positions...

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I disagree hope. I think he's gotta be desperate to play after being out so long, and we're doing him a solid for someone who won't play much this season.

Herb

Can’t dispute his lack of playing time and general influence on our season so far. From my point of view I just wonder why take the risk in letting him go given we know how injury prone most of our defenders are, how shite Moreno is and what a fantastic position we are currently in.

This 16 year old lad we’ve got may well be fantastic but you can’t throw him into this season and expect him to be able to perform at the level required. Not sure I’m keen on Milner covering there for an extended period either really. Started well that season at LB but by the end of it looked very leggy and I think most of us were pretty happy when he wasn’t lining up there last season. For the odd game I’m sure he’d be competent enough but it all just feels a bit square peg in a round hole which I’d hoped we’d moved past.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Interesting that we keep hearing about Ki Jana Hoever, I reckon there's a decent chance he'll be in the 18 for Wolves and could play on the right or in the centre.

Better on the ball than Clyne (to my eye at least) and bigger, even at 16. Really interested to see how he adapts to senior football, in the 3 or 4 games I've watched he's looked a dead cert to make it at a high level.

T.C.B

Interesting that we keep hearing about Ki Jana Hoever, I reckon there's a decent chance he'll be in the 18 for Wolves.

Better on the ball than Clyne (to my eye at least) and bigger, even at 16. Really interested to see how he adapts to senior football, in the 3 or 4 games I've watched he's looked a dead cert to make it at a high level.
Haven't seen him but read a bit about him and he sounds like the real deal. Imagine being 16 and experiencing what he is at the moment.

Incognito

The Normal One
I am with @ILLOK on this, Clyne appears solid at the back but really lacks what is needed to play as a FB in our system. And we do have enough cover. Fab/ Milly can deputize easily.

We needed some outgoings for new signings and I think that's we are heading to with Clyne and Dom both gone now.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Haven't seen him but read a bit about him and he sounds like the real deal. Imagine being 16 and experiencing what he is at the moment.
Technique wise he stands out a mile at youth level for a defensive player in a way I only remember Nathan Ake doing. I've got absolutely no doubt that will hold up at senior level.

Where defending is concerned it's anyone's guess. He's so young it's likely he'll struggle but there's only one way to find out...

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Hoever looks quality, big for his age, but also very clean technically and able to cover multiple positions at the back. A bit like Gomez. Think with Camacho possibly leaving, Hoever and Brewster could be the next two in line for their first senior minutes in this second part of the season.

Limiescouse

Interesting that we keep hearing about Ki Jana Hoever, I reckon there's a decent chance he'll be in the 18 for Wolves and could play on the right or in the centre.

Ive been "excited" about way too many FBs from the youth system over the years to get my hopes up again.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Also, just watch when that lunatic Fabinho takes Clyne's #2 shirt next summer. lol

Maria

This is such a big surprise :shocked:.
I never thought Clyne would be going on loan. I thought he was playing well when he was on the pitch. I know we have had injuries but I still thought he was an important member of the squad.

Red Ted

Our season doesn't hinge on Nathaniel Clyne in any way, he hasn't be a proper part of our set up for a couple of years, Klopp knows what he's doing, there's plenty of cover for the right hand side if Arnold gets injured, Gomez playing there is horrible though, he should always be in the middle.

Always the possibility we might make defensive signing too though it's doubtful.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ive been "excited" about way too many FBs from the youth system over the years to get my hopes up again.
Full back is the only position we've had some success with introducing kids into the first team in the last 15 years or so.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Full back is the only position we've had some success with introducing kids into the first team in the last 15 years or so.
I agree it's been our most productive position but it's not the only one we've had success with. Sterling is the standout.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Even with Hoever on the horizon, I still don't agree with loaning Clyne out. If anything, it's backwards - Clyne is much more valuable to this club at this very moment than Hoever is. If TAA or Robbo get hurt sometime in the next six months, we will regret not having Clyne available to provide cover for those two.

Red over the water

Strange one the Clyne deal. When he played recently I thought he would stick around for a while. He looked strong, rarely beaten in a 1v1, and also fast enough. Granted, he can't do an impression of a winger like some modern fullbacks, but he seemed plenty good enough to be a back up to TAA and arguably even displace TAA in the toughest matches, where resolute defending would be paramount, like against Sane.

Gomez should be seen as a CB. I'm frustrated when he is shunted over to RB as I want him to keep growing alongside VVD in a partnership that looks really good.

Fabinho has played there for Brazil, but he is finding his feet now as a midfielder for us, and I want to see him nail down that spot as he looks very good there.

Milner is a good pro and could fill in at right back, and maybe that's the plan while Hoever emerges?

Good luck to Clyne.

Richard88

Given that he'll only have 12 months left on his contract this summer it would have made more sense to let him leave permanently. Perhaps Bournemouth are paying a reasonably good loan fee (along with wages) though.

Can't say I'm too fussed. Klopp obviously feels that he has enough cover, having successfully navigated the busy December schedule already and having no league cup games this month.

Hoever is also highly rated and looks like another Trent.

Status
Not open for further replies.