• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nathaniel Clyne (RB) to Napoli

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
No they wouldn't.

Van Dijk is what you would class as a really excellent defender.
It was just what used to be said - Clyne never makes mistakes and he's rock solid in defence. Neither of which are true, of course. Against Newcastle he gave the ball away on the edge of our box and against Arsenal he should have given a penalty away, two mistakes in about 20 minutes of football.

Trent's last 7 or 8 performances have been fantastic, there is no scenario in which Clyne gets a game ahead of Trent when he's playing that well, the difference in quality is quite significant.

I'd probably keep Clyne until the end of Jan at the very least (mainly because Moreno is a plank) but it will be no great loss if he leaves.

auzziez

The uselessness of Moreno as a reliable LB backup and recent injuries to TAA and Gomez means we will probably need to keep Clyne for this season at least. He can at the best provide some cover for the RB and LB positions. Not the best option but better than the rest nonetheless. Hardly an attacking threat like TAA or composed as Gomes while defending long balls. But that's what we got for now and have to live with until a better alternative comes up.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Hope we keep him until next summer and then see what we do with these RB/LB backups. We're still in 3 competitions (with a proper chance in the main one) and our depth at the back is not great, not the time to let players go just like that.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Breaking News on Sky Sports News saying LFC have agreed a loan deal till the end of the season with Bournemouth for Clyne,more to follow...

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I don't like this one bit. I understand it from Clyne's perspective but not from club's, even though Klopp does have options like Milner. And what about the other flank? Moreno can't be relied upon these days and I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in January, to be honest, only if Liverpool manage to sign someone who can cover for him.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Agree with everyone else on this page. Obviously I am happy for Clyne and him getting back to the playing level he was prior to his injuries but I don't at all understand the rationale from the club to sanction this when so much is so close to within their grasp this season and it leaves us light for depth at fullback, either side.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Ok, where's Pavard?
Out Injured for 6 weeks.

So we give Bournemouth Clyne and they sell us Nathan Aké? That would be a great deal because he can also cover LW.lol

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Agree with everyone else on this page. Obviously I am happy for Clyne and him getting back to the playing level he was prior to his injuries but I don't at all understand the rationale from the club to sanction this when so much is so close to within their grasp this season and it leaves us light for depth at fullback, either side.
I guess Clyne is seen as 3rd or 4th option at full back, so is unlikely to get any games to restore match fitness, and our run over the next couple of months isnt too honerous (just before xmas i saw someone from Anfield index say we had something like 10 games over 70 days while City had 12 in 62 i think)

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Yeah bit of a strange move for us,good experienced RB/LB option,seems professional enough not to make an issue having to sit on the bench atm.

Maybe Matip and Gomez aren't too far away from getting back to 100% and with the likes of Fabinho and Milner being able to cover RB,Klopp feels he'll not get much game time,so it's better to send him on loan and strengthen Bournemouths defence against our rivals,than have him wasting away on our bench.

Either that or we have something in the pipeline transfer wise.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Out Injured for 6 weeks.

So we give Bournemouth Clyne and they sell us Nathan Aké? That would be a great deal because he can also cover LW.lol
So in something like 3 weeks he is back, right? Wouldn't mind at all.

Pavard ticks all the boxes we need for RB and CB. Would be a very smart buy.

I can't believe Klopp is thinking about using our second best CB and best DM as RB, especially after last night.

We are challenging for the title, it would be a huge mistake thinking we are good with Milner, Gomez and Fabinho. Guardiola lost points thinking Delph was enough, we can not return the courtesy.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
We've played 28 games this season and Clyne got about 200 minutes of football. Much ado about nothing.

Milner is a better fullback than Clyne and should get those minutes.

Good signing for Bournemouth though, Simon Francis is injured for the season and is also absolutely hopeless.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
There have been murmurings of Bristol City's Lloyd Kelly, 21 year old Right Back, being scouted.

Bournemouth were said to be interested, but they've taken Clyne, and yesterday some folk on the twittersphere we talking about the Mercedes Van kicking around Melwood again.

Oh I love the fun of the transfer window - this would not be Babel-copter worthy getting Kelly in, but a youngster in, with Klopp and Liverpool's recent eye for a good transfer, does whet the appetite.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Surprised we’ve let him go. He was great v United

Joe Gomez x

There have been murmurings of Bristol City's Lloyd Kelly, 21 year old Right Back, being scouted.

Bournemouth were said to be interested, but they've taken Clyne, and yesterday some folk on the twittersphere we talking about the Mercedes Van kicking around Melwood again.

Oh I love the fun of the transfer window - this would not be Babel-copter worthy getting Kelly in, but a youngster in, with Klopp and Liverpool's recent eye for a good transfer, does whet the appetite.
Seen Lloyd play quite a few times, he is primary a Centre half being 6,3ft and at the minute he's in left back for Bristol playing very well. He is a lefty so I'm not sure if he will go right back in being honest.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Pearce popping up on twitter saying it's also an indication of how much they like Ki-Jana Hoever, but he surely won't have an impact during the rest of this season.

I think it's more a case of Clyne hasn't played for two years, and he needs a run of games to either generate a market for him or get him up to speed and ready to go for preseason. Probably the first, but you never know with Klopp.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
So in something like 3 weeks he is back, right? Wouldn't mind at all.

Pavard ticks all the boxes we need for RB and CB. Would be a very smart buy.

I can't believe Klopp is thinking about using our second best CB and best DM as RB, especially after last night.

We are challenging for the title, it would be a huge mistake thinking we are good with Milner, Gomez and Fabinho. Guardiola lost points thinking Delph was enough, we can not return the courtesy.

We used Milner over Clyne in the Wolves game,after Clyne had a good game against United,even Klopp seemed impressed with how well he played after that game but still dropped him.

That tells me Klopp is more than happy with the cover he has over Clyne and giving into him wanting 1st team football.Personally i'd prefer not to use Fabinho at all at RB and after lastnights game,i think he should be the first name on the teamsheet in midfield from now on.

Just read the echo piece on this move and they mention Ki-jana Hoever,maybe Klopp is going to blood another youngster at RB during the 2nd half of the season.

In regards to the title race,we probably wont get a harder game than lastnights match and even then,it was only small maragins that cost us atleast a point,with Citeh playing outta their skins and us having a few players not playing at their best.It's one small blip against a great team,hopefully Klopp will get them back on track,focus one game at a time and carry on where we were before the Citeh game.

Last edited:

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Seen Lloyd play quite a few times, he is primary a Centre half being 6,3ft and at the minute he's in left back for Bristol playing very well. He is a lefty so I'm not sure if he will go right back in being honest.
Guess the twitter folk are off the mark then!

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We've played 28 games this season and Clyne got about 200 minutes of football. Much ado about nothing.

Milner is a better fullback than Clyne and should get those minutes.

Good signing for Bournemouth though, Simon Francis is injured for the season and is also absolutely hopeless.
Strange statement considering he's been injured the vast majority of them no?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-confirms-three-more-15520745

As recent as the 7th of Dec he was on the list of unavailable.

Hopefully it means we are bringing in that Kelly lad as I'd much prefer Clyne ahead of Moreno.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Not at all, completely irrelevant to the point I was making.
O right, you'd think "We've played 28 games this season and Clyne got about 200 minutes of football. Much ado about nothing." means we won't miss him because he's not played much this season.

I think we've ended up overplaying TAA and having proper cover (Clyne) allowing Gomez (when back) to play center back is a better set up. He is also better than Moreno at left back.

I'm also known to be wrong and don't manage a Premier League football club.