• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Nathaniel Clyne - Welcome to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanonkop

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/187852-liverpool-sign-nathaniel-clyne

Liverpool sign Nathaniel Clyne
1st Jul 2015 - Latest News

Liverpool FC are delighted to confirm that a deal has been completed to sign England international defender Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton.

The 24-year-old full-back has penned a long-term contract with the Reds to become the sixth new player at Anfield so far this summer.

Clyne made 94 Barclays Premier League appearances during the past three seasons, after switching to the south coast side in 2012.

He was a goalscorer for Southampton at Anfield on the opening weekend of the last campaign, blasting into the Kop end net in a 2-1 defeat.

His consistent form earned international recognition and Clyne made his England debut against Slovenia in November 2014. He has five caps in total.

After inking his Reds deal, he told Liverpoolfc.com: "I'm delighted and it's a dream move for me to come here and play for such a big club with all of its history. I can't wait to get started.

"As soon as Liverpool showed their interest in me, I was happy and just wanted the deal to go through.

"The gaffer has shown a lot of interest in me and this is a place where I can improve as a player, I think. It's definitely a good opportunity to come here and try to fulfil my potential.

"I've played at Anfield before and know what the atmosphere is all about. It's a great atmosphere and will make me rise to the challenge. I'm really looking forward to it and hopefully it can push me on to putting on good performances."

Clyne follows James Milner, Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Joe Gomez and Roberto Firmino in agreeing transfers to Liverpool ahead of next season.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
This is an outstanding capture, as I've said elsewhere earlier on in the summer I was convinced he was nailed on to join United. He's been one of the best RBs in the division over the past couple of years, and hopefully he will carry on that form for us.

Welcome to the club!

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Delighted to have signed him early. Hopefully he settles in fast and is our RB for the next few years.

More great work by the club. A couple more in and a few out and we'll have got a strong looking squad together.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Welcome. Best of luck. On the face of it, very good business

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
Excellent acquisition, so far our transfer activity has nearly been spectacularly

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Welcome Nate.
More delighted with this deal than all the business we've done this summer, bar Firmino of course, because I still can't believe we got him for under £20m! That was the price the papers were saying would take for Southampton to sell so to get him for £12.5m is huge!

BikerJoe

I don't own 90min.com!
Welcome Nathaniel,

Heres to hoping he stays for a long (injury free) time!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Good player, good business but hardly a make or break the season type deal. He'll do well enough I think.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Good player, good business but hardly a make or break the season type deal. He'll do well enough I think.
This depends. Him staying fit and on form would mean that Can won't be playing there ever again and that Marković and Lallana won't have to play as wing backs. That's a great start, no?! :)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Thought there's one done by prolix? Anyway, welcome.... Hope the new coaching staff will be better suited to "educate" you in defensive areas of the game.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I wish he had said he had come to win trophies and not because of our "history"... We will know we are back when that is the reason they give.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
This depends. Him staying fit and on form would mean that Can won't be playing there ever again and that Marković and Lallana won't have to play as wing backs. That's a great start, no?! :)
Markovic done ok at wingback and Lallana barely played there.

He's a decent player but I'm not expecting a decent right back to be a game changer for us. I doubt he'll be much better than Manquillo really.

mmusi99

I wish he had said he had come to win trophies and not because of our "history"... We will know we are back when that is the reason they give.
go and read the whole interview at Liverpoolfc.com, there is somewhere where he spoke about playing in each competition to win it.

nevermind

Do not trust Atoms they make up everything
Wish the lad well and hopefully be a regular for many years.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Welcome to LFC Nathaniel!

Time will tell whether this a good move or not, but on paper, it seems like one. We bitterly needed a right back with Johnson departing, and Flanagan still in the blue regarding his long-term fitness.

Hopefully he'll deliver right away, and make this spot his own for years to come, as it would mean we'll be successful with him. Fingers crossed!

Welcome Nathaniel,

Heres to hoping he stays for a long (injury free) time!
He missed three and five games in the two last seasons. Not bad... Touch wood it will remain the same while he's with us!

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Bit like buying a fridge. It doesn't wow you but you kind of need it anyway of you don't have one

And we didn't have a reliable option there and the last days of Glen Johnson were a harrowing ordeal

This will do. But the striking situation is the game breaker ultimately and feel we could be barking up the wrong tree there. But this for this position is steady enough

Not sure Rodgers will get the best out of him, but if he doesn't the next man should have a steady option for the next few years

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Bit like buying a fridge. It doesn't wow you but you kind of need it anyway of you don't have one

And we didn't have a reliable option there and the last days of Glen Johnson were a harrowing ordeal

This will do. But the striking situation is the game breaker ultimately and feel we could be barking up the wrong tree there. But this for this position is steady enough

Not sure Rodgers will get the best out of him, but if he doesn't the next man should have a steady option for the next few years
A welcoming post to a new player, and you compare him to a fridge and even manage to knock the manager !

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
A welcoming post to a new player, and you compare him to a fridge and even manage to knock the manager !
Nope, think it's an accurate assessment

Necessary purchase but coming to work for someone who sucks at coaching defences. But sure he has the self belief for it at any rate, otherwise he would have gone elsewhere :)

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Nope, think it's an accurate assessment

not really... I would say about 25% of what you post on this forum is EVER accurate.

any ways, back on thread topic..

welcome and good luck.. ! hopefully this is a player that holds a starting position with the club for the next 5 years...

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
He looked great when I watched him this season and I remember thinking, "damn would have been a good signing last window" when I saw the early links to him; figured he'd be off to United, Arsenal, etc. Great news on the signing.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Thats our RB sorted for the next 5 years. Solid and a top signing.

Coutinho'sToeNail

welcome nath great addition to the squad great bit of buisness for the club now to look forward to seeing you playing!!

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I'd love to know, apart from the reported £90k/week salary, what it was that ultimately convinced Clyne to join us. I've seen it said that our latest signing, who will apparently earn £90k/week, has cited Rodgers as a principal reason for joining us. You can understand that - given Rodgers' excellent work with defenders - the £90k/week probably was more of an afterthought.

1. Deluded Brendan ‏@DeludedBrendan Jun 16
    @Tesco Got any deals on? I have a budget of £0 and preferably I'd like the product to be English and show great character.

7,202 retweets 3,784 favourites

2. Tesco ‏@Tesco Jun 16
    @DeludedBrendan Hmm, I'm not sure mate. Would you like me to check our stores in Southampton? - Mike

12,951 retweets 9,485 favourites

3. Deluded Brendan ‏@DeludedBrendan 3h3 hours ago
    .@Tesco Hi Mike, Ive just taken delivery of Nathaniel Clyne from your Southampton store. Thanks again for your assistance.

2,017 retweets 1,564 favourites

4. Tesco ‏@Tesco 1h1 hour ago
    @DeludedBrendan Great news, Brendan. Please bear in mind our 28-day return policy, in case he does a 'Luke Shaw' over summer - Mike

1,899 retweets 1,274 favourites

5. Deluded Brendan ‏@DeludedBrendan 58 mins58 minutes ago
    .@Tesco Thanks Mike, you've shown great character.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Viktor Fagerström ‏@ViktorFagerLFC 18m18 minutes ago

Clyne has agreed a five-year deal, worth around £90,000-a-week at #LFC. (Paul Joyce)

That's high compared to Coutinho for starters!!!
Would surmise this is due in part to theTV deal, passport, glen Johnson's existing packet etc etc. plus there may have been other offers. Transfer fee wise the potential English tax was lower due to him running down his contract, gives more wage flexibility

But he will go straight in to the starting eleven in his position and think he knew that when he was negotiating with us

rab

Fulfills an immediate need in the starting eleven.
Is an upgrade on the player he's replacing as well as the others competing for that role.
Is of an age where you'd expect him to continue to develop into an even better player.
Reasonable fee given we know what Southampton wanted and what Shaw went for the year before.
Rumoured he chose us over United.
Deal completed in time for him to join us for the start of pre-season.

All reasons to be pleased with this deal, now let's hope he produces on the field.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Kind of just no down side to this one. Solid player with potential to get better in a position that turned into a bit of dumpster fire for us by the end of last season. Making this summer's business seem so much better than last. 3 nailed on starters recruited already.

Status
Not open for further replies.