Navigating the next 7 matches - rotation options.

GermanRed

vs Southampton

Alisson
Clyne Gomez VvD Robertson
Milner Henderson Keita
Salah Firmino Shaqiri

vs. Chelsea (Carabao Cup)

Mignolet
TAA Fabinho Matip Moreno
Wijnaldum Henderson Keita
Shaqiri Sturridge Mané

LFCFFC

Wouldn't mind seeing Fab start against Soton.

BigJon

v Southampton

Allison
TAA Gomez VVD Robertson
Gini
Milner Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs - Shaq Sturridge Matip Henderson Mingolet Clyne

v Chelsea LC
Mingolet
Clyne Matip Phillips Moreno
Fabinho
Henderson Keita
Shaq Sturridge Origi

loudmouthmiller1892

Captain of the Sandon Hotel's debating team
Wouldn't mind seeing Fab start against Soton.
The word is that Jurgen wants to mould Fab into a more attacking mid. If he plays, and is on the front foot, then who plays the 6, do you think? Both Gini and Hendo put a shift in, in the PSG game, so it it is one or the other. Who who you go with?

loudmouthmiller1892

v Southampton

Allison
TAA Gomez VVD Robertson
Gini
Milner Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs - Shaq Sturridge Matip Henderson Mingolet Clyne

v Chelsea LC
Mingolet
Fabinho
Henderson Keita
Shaq Sturridge Origi
Good shout putting Origi on the wing for the Chelsea game. Usually Lallana would step in, but he got a niggle whilst on Poundland duty. It looks like Solanke will go sub striker. In the event of Studge going off, he would have to push Moreno up the wing in order for Origi to go up front, so I think he may just utilize Dom if needed.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
vs Southampton

Alisson
Milner Henderson Keita
Salah Firmino Shaqiri

Mignolet
TAA Fabinho Matip Moreno
Shaqiri Sturridge Mané
This is a good shout. Like to see Nat Phillips too.

RedForever2014

Chelsea are clearly focussed on the league, they sent their kids to the Europa League match I hear.

They'll probably do the same for the League Cup.

Either way, I don't think we risk key players the Wednesday before we then play Chelsea, Napoli and City in 7 days.

Southampton is crucial with those two PL matches up next.

………………..Alisson
TAA...…...Gomez...…...VVD...…..Robertson
………………..Hendo
……..Gini...………….Keita
Salah...……………………………….Shaqiri
…………………..Firmino

Chelsea League Cup depends on whether Klopp wants a look at Origi or Solanke, or wants to use Camacho/Jones/Philips and whether Lovren and Lallana are fit. But definite second string for me.

………………….Mignolet
Clyne......Matip…………..Lovren…………Moreno
…………………...Fabinho
………..Lallana...…………….Keita
Shaqiri……………………………...Origi
……………………..Sturridge

Chelsea PL is the Southampton team with Mane for Shaqiri and Milner or Gini for Keita.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Chelsea are clearly focussed on the league, they sent their kids to the Europa League match I hear.

Either way, I don't think we risk key players the Wednesday before we then play Chelsea, Napoli and City in 7 days.

………………..Alisson
………………..Hendo
……..Gini...………….Keita
…………………..Firmino

Chelsea League Cup depends on whether Klopp wants a look at Origi or Solanke, or wants to use Camacho/Jones/Philips and whether Lovren and Lallana are fit. But definite second string for me.

………………….Mignolet
…………………...Fabinho
……………………..Sturridge

Chelsea PL is the Southampton team with Mane for Shaqiri and Milner or Gini for Keita.
Poor Sadio, what did he ever do to you?

Redopium

Matip, Clyne, Moreno, Origi, Shaqiri, Fabinho and Sturridge should all be starting the Chavski game.

Livvy

Alles wird gut

………………..Alisson
………………..Hendo
……..Gini...………….Keita
…………………..Firmino

………………….Mignolet
…………………...Fabinho
……………………..Sturridge

Not sure what you've heard about "playing the kids", didn't look like that. It seems he is chosing the same players all the time though.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I personally think, unless Soton use a small forward, this would be a good opportunity to give Matip a game. I think it's very important that our reserve CB's are prepared in case there is an injury or if young Gomez's form takes a tumble. I don't think Lovren is ready yet ( hopefully for the league cup game). I think a lot had been made of Matip's late subs in games. People are tying this as the cause of poor late performances rather than the effect of the teams overall performance dropping and Klopp needing to bring on Matip to help with defensive solidity.

Given Matip is being used as a sub suggests he is only being kept out of the team through Gomez's form. But Gomez sitting out a game during a 4 day rest period in the season i don't think will have negative side effects on his own form. Of course, if the coaches don't think he needs a rest then he probably won't be benched.

For the midfield, it seems like Keita will start given he sat out the CL game, Hendo had very few minutes in the Spurs game so i think he'll also start regardless of playing the CL game, and Milner is Milner. I think Gini will be the unlucky one.

As for forwards, doesn't make sense to change our most used front 3. Bobby surely will start. So for me, Keita for Gini and potentially Matip for Gomez.

RedForever2014

Poor Sadio, what did he ever do to you?
I was just thinking of giving him a rest ahead of the Chelsea PL, Napoli and City games he'll be needed in, whilst I also felt Mo needs to play his way back into form. Obviously there's an argument for Sadio against Southampton instead of Mo.

I think what we need to do for PL and CL matches, other than against the very top sides, is still only make limited changes to what we'd consider our best 11 (the side that started against PSG with Bobby for Sturridge). Maybe one defender, one midfielder and one forward.

Keep 8 of the 'best 11' and our level should remain enough, with 10 or 11 of the 'best 11' required against the best (subject to injuries).

Tomorrow we could change a defender (Matip for Gomez), a midfielder (Keita for one of the PSG starters) and a forward (Shaqiri for Mane or Salah).

Against Chelsea in the League Cup we need to field a shadow 11, then go best 11 at Chelsea, 3 changes at Napoli, best 11 against City.

Theoretically we could rest 6 of our best 11 in the two matches against Southampton and Napoli, the whole best 11 against Chelsea in the League Cup and at the same time give the rest of the squad 90 minutes against Chelsea (League Cup) and 6 of them two matches in the next five.

Not sure what you've heard about "playing the kids", didn't look like that. It seems he is chosing the same players all the time though.

I just heard it off someone, but am glad they're taking it seriously. Chelsea and Arsenal having Thursday night football helps our PL cause.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
vs Southampton

Alisson
Milner Henderson Keita
Salah Firmino Shaqiri

Mignolet
TAA Fabinho Matip Moreno
Shaqiri Sturridge Mané

Playing Fabinho at CB is Footy Manager style tactics, can't see Klopp doing anything of the sort. Plus why rest anyone for the PL. It's key we batter southampton at the weekend, for me anyway.

Same team for So'ton

Enter Shaqiri and the kids for the league cup, particualrly fullbacks and wide forwards. The bottom line is that the league cup is a pain in the arse come January with double fixtures for semi's etc. It's handy if we can stay in it to give some kids like Brewster, Curtis Jones etc a go but I'd rather go out of it by November, hopefully Klopp is of a similar opinion.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I was just thinking of giving him a rest ahead of the Chelsea PL, Napoli and City games he'll be needed in, whilst I also felt Mo needs to play his way back into form. Obviously there's an argument for Sadio against Southampton instead of Mo.

I think what we need to do for PL and CL matches, other than against the very top sides, is still only make limited changes to what we'd consider our best 11 (the side that started against PSG with Bobby for Sturridge). Maybe one defender, one midfielder and one forward.

Keep 8 of the 'best 11' and our level should remain enough, with 10 or 11 of the 'best 11' required against the best (subject to injuries).

Tomorrow we could change a defender (Matip for Gomez), a midfielder (Keita for one of the PSG starters) and a forward (Shaqiri for Mane or Salah).

Against Chelsea in the League Cup we need to field a shadow 11, then go best 11 at Chelsea, 3 changes at Napoli, best 11 against City.

Theoretically we could rest 6 of our best 11 in the two matches against Southampton and Napoli, the whole best 11 against Chelsea in the League Cup and at the same time give the rest of the squad 90 minutes against Chelsea (League Cup) and 6 of them two matches in the next five.

I just heard it off someone, but am glad they're taking it seriously. Chelsea and Arsenal having Thursday night football helps our PL cause.
I’d have a few tweaks to your teams.

- I’d start Mane against Southampton, with the intention of hooking him on sixty. There is a fine line between rotation and rhythm. We don’t want to burn out Sadio, but neither do we want to have him coming back in cold. I also think him, Mo and Bobby need minutes together, to find their rhythm

Imagine a ragged Saints team breathing a sigh of relief at seeing Manés number go up, and then seeing Shaqiri in the touchline. Must be spirit crushing.

- Agreed on all change in the league cup, but I think Lovren and Lallana are both injured. My team

Mignolet
Fabinho
Shaqiri Jones
Markovic Sturridge Origi​

Then full strength for the Chavs at the weekend.

RedForever2014

I’d have a few tweaks to your teams.

- I’d start Mane against Southampton, with the intention of hooking him on sixty. There is a fine line between rotation and rhythm. We don’t want to burn out Sadio, but neither do we want to have him coming back in cold. I also think him, Mo and Bobby need minutes together, to find their rhythm

Imagine a ragged Saints team breathing a sigh of relief at seeing Manés number go up, and then seeing Shaqiri in the touchline. Must be spirit crushing.

- Agreed on all change in the league cup, but I think Lovren and Lallana are both injured. My team

Mignolet
Fabinho
Shaqiri Jones
Markovic Sturridge Origi​

Then full strength for the Chavs at the weekend.
Yes I think Mane could start tomorrow and then a week off should be sufficient before the three matches.

For the League Cup match I'd start Keita, as he needs more game time asap to settle in, plus if we want to get through we need a bit more in midfield. 90 against Chelsea could be a good one for him.

I'd probably also prefer Solanke down the right. If Markovic got picked ahead of him I think he'd be very miffed.

Would love to see some more of Jones and Camacho, though personally I'd take the view that getting through against Chelsea might then lead to a couple of more favourable ties, in which they could even start.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about

I see your logic - I think Klopp will go strong for Southampton And Chelsea in prem, make changes for Carabao cup..., but Napoli and City will be interesting.

Sometimes players carry little knocks that we are not aware of, or he picks certain players as he thinks that they will do well against certain teams. Squad is good right now - so I'll just let Klopp take care of it all!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Mignolet
Fabinho
Shaqiri Jones
Markovic Sturridge Origi
What is this? :-)

There must still be a bit of thinking behind it, this would be just throwing the towel. Markovic will also not play for the club again.

RedForever2014

There must still be a bit of thinking behind it, this would be just throwing the towel. Markovic will also not play for the club again.
Our best players can't play Sat, Tues, Sat, Wed, Sat, Wed, Sun, including two CL matches and PL matches against three of last season's top 5. They need a week off.

Our other players can't go months without football and be ready when needed. The only game time for them en masse is the League Cup.

It's unfortunate that we drew Chelsea, but at least it's at home, and I'd bank on my side for it of Migs, Clyne, Matip, Philips, Moreno, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, Solanke and Sturridge having a good chance.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Our best players can't play Sat, Tues, Sat, Wed, Sat, Wed, Sun, including two CL matches and PL matches against three of last season's top 5. They need a week off.

Our other players can't go months without football and be ready when needed. The only game time for them en masse is the League Cup.

It's unfortunate that we drew Chelsea, but at least it's at home, and I'd bank on my side for it of Migs, Clyne, Matip, Philips, Moreno, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, Solanke and Sturridge having a good chance.
I expect changes of course, but I don't expect Klopp to change without thinking (and maybe a bit in advance), knowing him for 3 years now, he'll put out a team that can still beat Chelsea potentially twice in a row. There needs to be a bit of balance. The quoted team lacks that so I expect us to field something a tiny bit more serious.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

As I said before, I’d play the tea lady in this competition rather than play any of the first teamers

The other thing to remember is that we have them again the following weekend, only this time in a game that matters. Do you trust Chelsea not to get one of their reserves to do a job on one of our first eleven? It’s exactly the kind of thing that shithouse club is liable to do.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Since we're a club that hasn't won a trophy in 6 years and only got two in the last 12... I count every of the 4 competitions as important, though of course not every equally important and not at all times. We can't become winners if Klopp and his staff throw games like that. We're not poor, yes we have a tough schedule, but aren't we talking about better strength in depth? We'll let's see it then. We'll change players for sure, but most probably not as much. It still needs to be a team that can look after themselves on the pitch, have some sense and balance. Not putting too many players out of position (that midfield most probably can't work neither in a 3 or a 2 and Markovic will simply not play and rightly so).

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Agree with Zoran here. Throwing away games isn't in Klopp's dna, that was rather something we tended to do with Hodgson and Rodgers in charge. Kloppo wants to win every game, and he'll probably start rotating two or three players every game to keep some of them fresh if needed.

I don't expect him at all to put a team of reserve players out against Chelsea. Mignolet might get a game, and it's a good occasion maybe for Shaqiri or Fabinho to start a game. I wonder too when Clyne for instance will be able to show what he can do, Moreno might get a game too in the next weeks. But I'm not sure that all the guys on the bench will be called upon at the same time for that league cup game. Rather in a progressive rotation, judging the fitness of the players game by game, and punctually handing them a rest when they need it.

RedForever2014

As Mascot said, put your best players on the same pitch as a Chelsea side containing any player who doesn't play regularly for them, and don't start crying when one of our boys gets injured.

Klopp isn't cynical, but he needs to recognise it in others and protect us from it.

Last edited:

loudmouthmiller1892

Na, Mate; wish I had inside info, but just heard it on a couple of media platforms. I don't normally listen to the crap that is out there, however, when a couple of people are saying the same thing, then maybe there's a bit of truth in it.

loudmouthmiller1892

I think the word in question is “bollocks”.
It may be bollocks, but it's not out of the question, though. I don't whether you have watched a lot of him whilst at Monaco, but he does some great work in and around the opposition box. Also, think about the dynamics of his situation: We're spoiled for choice in the 6; he may not get much game time in his preferred or 2nd position; we lost Courtinho and didn't replace with Fekir; we've lost Ox and Lallana gets niggles, and; we only have one Naby Kieta. He wouldn't be the first player to have diversify under Klopp. I think you have put him in a box, because you only understand footie from a spectator's point-of-view, because you should realize that the higher we place him up the field- the higher he wins the ball. Plus the the lad can go past people, and although misplaces the odd pass, can play one as well. So, like I say- it may well be misinfo but it makes sense and should not be automatically dismissed. P.S. any chance of answering my posts with some logic, and not just a single word which only suggests I may be talking crap. Nice one!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
It may be bollocks, but it's not out of the question, though. I don't whether you have watched a lot of him whilst at Monaco, but he does some great work in and around the opposition box. Also, think about the dynamics of his situation: We're spoiled for choice in the 6; he may not get much game time in his preferred or 2nd position; we lost Courtinho and didn't replace with Fekir; we've lost Ox and Lallana gets niggles, and; we only have one Naby Kieta. He wouldn't be the first player to have diversify under Klopp. I think you have put him in a box, because you only understand footie from a spectator's point-of-view, because you should realize that the higher we place him up the field- the higher he wins the ball. Plus the the lad can go past people, and although misplaces the odd pass, can play one as well. So, like I say- it may well be misinfo but it makes sense and should not be automatically dismissed. P.S. any chance of answering my posts with some logic, and not just a single word which only suggests I may be talking crap. Nice one!
Well looking at the last few years that we've had jurgen - all 3 midfielders play in all 3 positions, as do the front 3. I suppose he teaches them the roles and duties in each position, and then finds what is best for the team. Mane was regularly playing on the right, before Salah came etc - and they have switched positions in some games too.

But Fabinho has played right back, centre back and holding midfield (with previous club and Brazil)..... will be good to see him though.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
The most expendable of the lot happens to be the league cup. But as klopp says , you cannot prepare for a match expecting it to be okay even if you lose.

Choose the best possible side , fitness and fatigue permitting.