Navigating the next 7 matches - rotation options.

loudmouthmiller1892

Captain of the Sandon Hotel's debating team
Well looking at the last few years that we've had jurgen - all 3 midfielders play in all 3 positions, as do the front 3. I suppose he teaches them the roles and duties in each position, and then finds what is best for the team. Mane was regularly playing on the right, before Salah came etc - and they have switched positions in some games too.

But Fabinho has played right back, centre back and holding midfield (with previous club and Brazil)..... will be good to see him though.
I know, mate- can't wait to see him as well! I think Jurgen would have chosen Shaq as our attacking mid if he had the legs (and I don't mean longer legs, ha), but I think he would get tired. Don't get wrong, he would be up for it and do some lovely stuff, but, unfortunately, he would get subbed eventually. You know, Fabhino is a technical player (not very skillful, but technical), but people will put players in a box. Jurgen, on the hand, loves the idea of total football- that's why keepers have evolved into sweeper keepers, because the modern game requires you to assume more responsibility than your shirt number suggests.
Cheers.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
It will be a mixture, something we started already against Saints. You need to be able to beat Southampton at home after a European game with a few changes, that's not relaxing in the league, we're only 5-6 league games in, no need to panic. That + how the game played itself out (game won in the first half even with a so-so performance, a new positive characteristic of this team, being able to win more without playing at our best), should help us for the next one or two games. This is not the time to start choosing 100% between this or that competition (it's not April or May), we don't have to throw the towel in the "least important" trophy (something we bang on about, the need of starting to win things, well there you go, a valid trophy which we won a record 8 times and we proud ourselves also through our trophies won, give me some more of that thank you very much). It's how we build a winning mentality. We're playing well, we're well prepared, we started to rotate a bit lately, it should all help us to still put a decent side to try and beat Chelsea twice in a few days. The prospect of doing that is exciting.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
So we now have Chelsea, Chelsea, Napoli and City.

Jurgen made wholesale changes in the Carabao Cup last season (Leicester away), but I think he may not make as many this time. We've got great momentum at the moment - we've deserved to win every game - if anything, by bigger margins than we have got - and we are still not fully clicking yet - a few more gears to come.

The Chelsea and City games in the league are huge - if we win both of those, that really says something - and I'll start getting proper nervous.

But what a start to the season thus far.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
So far we’ve got through without ever really reaching top gear. I think we’ve now reached the stage where we’re going to have to find those extra gears at some point(s) to get through these next four games.

Its been a really tough start to the season by any standards and we’ve done extremely well to date. I suspect that Klopp will keep changes to a minimum for the next 4 games although the FLC tie might see 3 or 4 changes but with those rested featuring on the bench.

In fact, the bench is now a key part of what we can achieve because there is hardly a drop in standard throughout the matchday 18 with Lallana, Clyne and Lovren on top of that. We’ve come a long, long way even over the past 12 months. Its quite incredible really and a testament to the efforts of FSG, Michael Edwards, Klopp & his coaching team and the players.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
It will be interesting to see who we line up on Weds. I didn't actually realise how many we had out with injury atm - obvious ones are Ox, Lallana, Lovren and Brewster, but also Origi and Big Dom.

I don't think we'd take any chances with Lallana, but Lovren sounds really close so I could see us playing a Lovren-Matip partnership with Clyne and Moreno on the sides. Keita and Fab will surely start, but I think one of the regulars will also start as Klopp is just not going to play a whole second 11. His words after the match on the weekend suggested Gini needed a rest, so I can't see him playing, but maybe Milner who only played half a match on the weekend? Of course we could try the Shaq AM role again to spare any of Hendo, Gini or Milner playing, but I don't think that is an option as we don't have enough forwards to cover. I can see Mane playing with Studge in the middle and Shaq on the other side.

My team on weds:

AB
Clyne Lovren Matip Moreno
Keita Fab Milner
Mane Studge Shaq

Still a very strong side, and reflects the players that got a bit of a rest on the weekend, and with useful options off the bench in Bobby, Salah, Hendo. Big Virg might start if Lovren isnt ready or maybe Klopp will be ballsy and partner Gomez with Matip?

dockers_strike

A tough little run of fixtures. But like I keep saying (sorry) we need to jib the League Cup. Of course Im not saying we deliberately lose the game. Im saying we should be playing the first teamers who havent got many or any games so far plus some of the better U23s. Im talking a team with Mignolet, Clyne, Moreno, Matip, Fabinho, Shaqiri, Sturridge etc. Chelsea away in the league will be a tough game, it's not been a good ground for us in the past. Im far from convinced by that Kepa lad in goal for them and Hazard is always a danger as is Giroud. I'll feel a lot easier if Virgil is fit for this and hopefully Jurgen returns to him and Joe as the preferred cb pairing. If he goes with Matip I fear the worst.

City at home will be massive especially with Napoli midweek. This could be a real cracker and hopefully, Jurgen's hold over Guardiola continues. Dream on boys and girls and come on you reds.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
These next 2 matches against Chelsea, back to back, are tricky. Momentum is a big thing, and it doesn't matter if its tge second string or not, coming to tge second match after a win gives you confidence. While the league is more important, you lose the LC match and we are out, you kose the PL match and there is still a whole season to go to recover.
Sturridge and Shaq have proven that they are able to step in and rotate the front three without a drop in the overall team performane. Keita and Fabinho can do the same in midfield. Matip also proved he is adequate backup and hopefully Lovren will be fit soon. Moreno and Clyne while on paper are suitable backups, have not kicked a ball in a long time, but they will need to step up sooner or later to give Robbo an TAA a rest.

I suspect we will see Moreno, Matip, Keita and Sturridge all playing afainst Chelsea in the LC.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
With the current squad it seems that Klopp is going to change a little,not a lot,so we'll probably see Migs,Clyne and Fabinho in the cup,maybe Moreno,expect Shaq and Sturridge to start.
Of course,he might go in with a strong squad and then start resting,but that depends too much on what Chelsea do.
Klopp will be in this to win it,and this year he has the squad,even with the two hard ones coming up.

Red over the water

Out of the league Cup, fine margins. Not disastrous by any means, but it would have been nice to go deeper.

A good result away from home in the league with a draw. Alisson made a couple of good saves but on the balance of chances we should have won all three points at Chelsea. Can’t have too much to complain about though. Sturridge’s late worldie almost made it feel like a win.

A win against Napoli would be ace as it would really set us up for the rest of the group games. Then onto the home game against Man City, which could go either way as both teams have so much quality. Should be a cracking week, then hopefully we go on a good run of accumulating three points with monotonous regularity against some lesser lights.

RedForever2014

It goes without saying that the next two results determine the success level of the 7 matches.

Currently 3 wins, a draw and a defeat in the least important of the three competitions played in the past few weeks. We don't want that becoming an even split of defeats and wins.

We need a result at Napoli, at least a draw to keep us ahead of them before they play PSG back to back, ideally a win to keep us in control of the group. Then the two RSB matches give us the chance to as good as qualify whilst PSG and Napoli take points of each other, before we play PSG and Napoli again. It's a tough group, but the sequence of matches favours us, especially after the opening round win over PSG.

City will be tough, but we're capable of beating them or at least not losing.

I think the Chelsea PL match showed us we're competitive, but haven't really stepped up a level in midfield or attack. Their midfield won the battle and our attack didn't turn up until the subs.

We're better defensively, but as I said in the post match thread, our first choice midfield only really works when the forwards are bang on form, it's not creative enough to make up for any profligacy up top. Keita and Fab will benefit us when they settle, and offer genuine midfield rotation after Xmas, which hit us last season during the run in. But in terms of the best 11, we haven't really stepped up a level in midfield and attack.

Against Napoli I'd start Sturridge with Salah and Mane, saving Bobby for Sunday. I'd also start Keita and give Gini or Milner a rest. Can't see us using Keita against City, so we need fresh legs in the normal three.

Not sure we can really rest a defender against Napoli. We could perhaps give Fabinho a run out at right back.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Smash both Napoli and City to send a message to PL and CL teams that we are going to crush anyone in our path to the Treble (PL, CL and FA cup). :celebrating::celebrating::celebrating::celebrating:

It's not empty boasting or day dreaming - I believe it's doable!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not turning all those chances at Chelsea into a win puts us in a slightly difficult position. Had we taken three points from Stamford Bridge, then the Napoli game becomes a bit of a free hit. With City perfectly capable of turning us over, if we don’t beat Napoli, that could be winless in four, and that would send us into the international break with a few question marks.

So I think we’ll to go pretty strong fit both those games, and then get some rest into players when the fixture list is kinder after the break.

RedForever2014

Definitely need a result in both, two draws at least.

Avoiding defeat at Napoli is crucial or it undermines the PSG win.

Re City, personally I can't see us having a chance of the title if we don't take at least 4 points off them. Really we need to win both matches given that they're less likely than we are to drop points in other matches during the run in, if we're both still in the CL.

The swing in these head to heads is crucial.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Expect to beat Napoli, they are not as good as PSG and we ripped them up. City is another story. I would take a draw from that one to be honest

loudmouthmiller1892

Captain of the Sandon Hotel's debating team
Squad management is key to those two fixtures. If there's more than 5 individuals who play in both games then I think we may struggle due to the intensity of them and also the frequency. R 'n' R in the interim for those who will feature in both fixtures is integral to getting a good result against City.