New Balance kits, soon to be Nike kits

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
I just came across a Nike "sale" in Canada on their website. I am horrified at the original price of some of the kit. With NB in Canada, a regular kit is C$99 (short sleeves) and $119 (long sleeves). Nike kits are $110 (prior to 2019-2020 seasons) to $150 -200 (current season) before sale. :eek: That pricing is disappointing to say the least. I cannot imagine the justification of a 100% price jump for our LFC kit next season.

https://www.nike.com/ca/w/mens-football-kits-jerseys-1gdj0z3a41eznik1

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I just came across a Nike "sale" in Canada on their website. I am horrified at the original price of some of the kit. With NB in Canada, a regular kit is C$99 (short sleeves) and $119 (long sleeves). Nike kits are $110 (prior to 2019-2020 seasons) to $150 -200 (current season) before sale. :eek: That pricing is disappointing to say the least. I cannot imagine the justification of a 100% price jump for our LFC kit next season.

https://www.nike.com/ca/w/mens-football-kits-jerseys-1gdj0z3a41eznik1

I won't be suprised if the new Nike kit is between £70 to £100+ over here (UK) next season (if there is one).This years short-sleeve home kit cost me £68 ($118 CD) with badges/Mane 10 including shipping and that was in a sale (official LFC store),original price would have been £87 ($151 CD) and thats just the normal replica shirt.They also had the Elite Match day shirt this year for £95 ($165 CD) but with all the badges and a name/number with shipping would have cost £123 ($214 CD),so the NB kits were roughly the same price as Nike over here (give or take Nike being £5-£10 more expensive).

richieh10

Just out of interest does anybody know the difference between the replica shirt and the elite shirt

Is it just the fit?

I understand the elite shirt is the “shirt the players wear”

richieh10

interesting..
that is very interesting.

so the 20% royalties “potentially adding up to 70million” is 25 million more than NB.

for that Nike has to sell 125m of merchandise.

call each shirt £100 that’s 1.25 million shirts.

Based on the figures in the video plus the fact that we’ll be in more stores due to Nike and the global influence of people like LeBron, Drake and Serena I feel like those figures can be achieved relatively easily. (Especially considering the global attraction that PL champions will gain).
It is interesting though, I am 50/50 on whether I feel that we did the dirty on NB a little it if I feel it was a masterful stroke of business from the club.

it is no doubt the best deal however I think NB have been good to us, designed us some quality kits which thanks to the CL win and the imminent PL win will become iconic kits.

At the end of the day though money talks and I’m sure Mbappe will look better in Nike than in NB!!!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
that is very interesting.

so the 20% royalties “potentially adding up to 70million” is 25 million more than NB.

for that Nike has to sell 125m of merchandise.

call each shirt £100 that’s 1.25 million shirts.

Based on the figures in the video plus the fact that we’ll be in more stores due to Nike and the global influence of people like LeBron, Drake and Serena I feel like those figures can be achieved relatively easily. (Especially considering the global attraction that PL champions will gain).
It is interesting though, I am 50/50 on whether I feel that we did the dirty on NB a little it if I feel it was a masterful stroke of business from the club.

it is no doubt the best deal however I think NB have been good to us, designed us some quality kits which thanks to the CL win and the imminent PL win will become iconic kits.

At the end of the day though money talks and I’m sure Mbappe will look better in Nike than in NB!!!
The Nike deal (and the percentage) doesn't just cover kits though it'll be a whole brand of sports fashion like clothing, jackets, hats, all that jazz. Nike have pushed so hard because they seem to believe we can be something that is worn and really fashionable across the board. Like the way New York Yankee branded stuff is everywhere for instance. Still a bit nervous on all this but if it works it could really transform things and make us one of the first, or even the first, name people think of when they think football. The Liverbird and simple LFC is perfect for that kind of simple, recognisable badge that could be on a pocket of jeans or a polo shirt or cap or something.

richieh10

Ye totally agree on that front (I just used the shirt as that is the obvious choice and our best selling item, or I would imagine it to be anyhow)

the Liverbird and LFC is iconic and should be used going forward.

I think that was re-introduced under Ian Ayre and I’ve heard a story, not sure how true it is but one of the major reasons for going back to the Liverbird and LFC crest was that it cost 50p LESS per garment to get that embroidered than the crest with YNWA at the top due to the detail involved in that crest.

50p per garment saving then think of all the LFC garments that’s a huge saving

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ye totally agree on that front (I just used the shirt as that is the obvious choice and our best selling item, or I would imagine it to be anyhow)

the Liverbird and LFC is iconic and should be used going forward.

I think that was re-introduced under Ian Ayre and I’ve heard a story, not sure how true it is but one of the major reasons for going back to the Liverbird and LFC crest was that it cost 50p LESS per garment to get that embroidered than the crest with YNWA at the top due to the detail involved in that crest.

50p per garment saving then think of all the LFC garments that’s a huge saving
A right result however it was gotten to. Complicated football badges, like our crest, appeal to proper fans. They are fine on proper sporting goods. But the badge, Liverbird and LFC is just a nice, simple, clean stamp. Its classy and doesn't look out of place in non sporting situations and it still works great on sporting goods too. If its more cost effective that's just icing on the cake. I like both the badge and crest but the badge works in more environments and situations.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
A right result however it was gotten to. Complicated football badges, like our crest, appeal to proper fans. They are fine on proper sporting goods. But the badge, Liverbird and LFC is just a nice, simple, clean stamp. Its classy and doesn't look out of place in non sporting situations and it still works great on sporting goods too. If its more cost effective that's just icing on the cake. I like both the badge and crest but the badge works in more environments and situations.
It helps that it’s hugely marketable, as well. I’m sure this appealed to Nike.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It helps that it’s hugely marketable, as well. I’m sure this appealed to Nike.
Yeah you look at other super marketable brands and simple is definitely the way to go. Nike themselves, Yankees, Ralph Lauren etc. just something that is clean, clear, simple that stands out and is almost universally recognised for what it is. They get this right with us and even people who don't know anything will be able to recognise that badge and associate it with a top sports team, Liverpool and football. Some might find that side of things bad I don't know but we could well be a cultural icon globally within a few years not just a sporting icon. That would actually help cement us as one of the top teams in the sport on recognition and reputation providing we remain competitive.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yeah you look at other super marketable brands and simple is definitely the way to go. Nike themselves, Yankees, Ralph Lauren etc. just something that is clean, clear, simple that stands out and is almost universally recognised for what it is. They get this right with us and even people who don't know anything will be able to recognise that badge and associate it with a top sports team, Liverpool and football. Some might find that side of things bad I don't know but we could well be a cultural icon globally within a few years not just a sporting icon. That would actually help cement us as one of the top teams in the sport on recognition and reputation providing we remain competitive.
The Yankees logo was the one I was thinking of. It’s transcended spirt and it’s now a fashion statement/cultural icon. I think that’s FSG/Nike’s long term plan.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Regarding the MFY logo, loads of people, especially from outside the US, who buy a cap with that logo like the design or think it has something to do with NYC. They don't make the association with that team, in fact, they don't even know the difference between a right-fielder and a catcher, don't care or ever watch baseball.

Clever marketing though.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think the first step is a Le Bron type hook up, like PSG did with Jordan (which was hugely popular).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think the first step is a Le Bron type hook up, like PSG did with Jordan (which was hugely popular).

Yep Serena Williams, Le Bron, Drake and other Nike ambassadors are supposed to be getting involved with the marketing that will be starting up from this summer.

richieh10

LeBron James has 63.5million Instagram followers, 45.8million twitter followers and 23million facebook followers.

the guy sticks a photo of himself on those platforms of him in a LFC top or a red LFC cap and sales will sky rocket the guys is so influential.
to put that into perspective

LFC has 25.5 million Instagram followers, 14.4 million twitter and 36 million Facebook followers.

the guy is basically an advertisers dream

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
LeBron James has 63.5million Instagram followers, 45.8million twitter followers and 23million facebook followers.

the guy sticks a photo of himself on those platforms of him in a LFC top or a red LFC cap and sales will sky rocket the guys is so influential.
to put that into perspective

LFC has 25.5 million Instagram followers, 14.4 million twitter and 36 million Facebook followers.

the guy is basically an advertisers dream
Drake too 65.9 million on Instagram just checked for a look so probably comparable numbers across the board. Kids see these "influencers" in Nike LFC stuff and at the very most they'll want to buy and wear the stuff as a fashion brand. Some may even start following LFC players and then the team and want to find out more about us. When they do I legitimately believe we are a very easy club to fall in love with. Even for those not all that into sport, casual fans. You'll never walk alone as a motto, mantra, lifestyle, emotionally sang anthem. Some great, humble, talented, funny, characters that play for and represent us. Klopp!!! New generation of fans incoming. Us old grouchy sods will just have to show patience as they educate themselves about us and the sport.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Surprised the commentary described the judgment in favour of Nike as "surprising". It really wasn't.
NB couldn't even meet demand let alone help us create and service more demand. That might not actually be any reflection on the court decision but its what "matching" boils down to for me. If two garages offer to sell me a car and one will need constant work and always perform poorly I wouldn't say its a matching deal with the other car just because the prices are the same. The ongoing costs of one are not as good as the other. I've walked into Liverpool stores 5 times with money in my pocket and would have walked out with the black goalkeeper top if they'd had one as an impulse buy. Always sold out. Then get into issues about how few stores would have NB goods or even talk of NB stores without any LFC goods. They've done OK for us in some ways NB in others they've sold us well short.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
NB couldn't even meet demand let alone help us create and service more demand. That might not actually be any reflection on the court decision but its what "matching" boils down to for me. If two garages offer to sell me a car and one will need constant work and always perform poorly I wouldn't say its a matching deal with the other car just because the prices are the same. The ongoing costs of one are not as good as the other. I've walked into Liverpool stores 5 times with money in my pocket and would have walked out with the black goalkeeper top if they'd had one as an impulse buy. Always sold out. Then get into issues about how few stores would have NB goods or even talk of NB stores without any LFC goods. They've done OK for us in some ways NB in others they've sold us well short.
NB Just can't compete with Nike's reach, door offering, or marketing initiatives. Combine that with a series of broken promises to LFC and anyone thinking it surprising that they lost just doesn't understand the issues. I was banned during the hearing of this case but commented elsewhere that it was clear (to me) that NB would lose a week before the judgment was given. I did see some commentary on the forums at the time, which gave me a chuckle.