• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

New Balance kits

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I care more about who pay us the most. Don’t mind the shirt and shorts from Nike.

Herb

Hope we do go with Nike. Not been overly keen on our New Balance kits, and our club merch/training gear has been pretty naff for years imo.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think New Balance will match whatever Nike are offering - or this is commercial touting via the media...

But about bloody time we got a deal to match the club that we truly are. This will allow us to sign more VVD's and Alisson's - what a difference that calibre of player can make.
It never actually got done as was intended by Real Madrid but I can see us actually following the "Galactico" plan. Originally that plan was to introduce one Galactico mega signing (Van Dijk & Alisson) plus one academy graduate (Alexander-Arnold & Gomez) to the starting 11. If next season it's a "galactico" style signing plus an academy kid like Brewster replacing the back up forwards it'd be in line with that vision. On top of that maybe the occasional squad signing like backup GK and/or fullback cover.

I wish our club were in talks with Adidas rather than Nike. I can't stand Nike
I'm not sure about Adidas tbh.. before we got Warrior as kit sponsors (2012), Adidas slapped LFC in da face, saying that we were no longer a big club!!!!... remember.. We should treat Adidas with disdain..

"The five-time European champions will receive £150m over six years from Boston-based Warrior following the agreement, which sees Liverpool stand second only to Barcelona - who have a £26.3m deal with Nike - in the lucrative kit sponsorship market.
Liverpool have ended a relationship with German sportswear giant Adidas stretching back to 1985 by linking up with Warrior.
And Ayre has hit back at claims by Adidas chief executive Herbert Hainer that Liverpool’s absence from European competition has diminished the club’s appeal by pointing to the size of the Warrior deal as proof of the Anfield outfit’s global popularity.
Ayre said: “We are disappointed that Adidas seem to point to a lack of European football as reason not to agree a new deal and cannot see that we are on par with the biggest football brands in the world.”"

Telegraph 2012 source

"..With a six-year, $18.5 million sponsorship deal coming to an end, everyone expected Liverpool to sign a new contract with Adidas, which has supplied the Reds since 1985. But Adidas was having none of it, claiming the numbers Liverpool asked for would be more in line with a club that has a few trophies with less than an inch of dust on them.
It's all about the money, of course. But Herber Hainer, CEO of Adidas, couldn't resist getting in a dig at the team which really hasn't won anything since Istanbul, and that was a fluke, and it was seven years ago, time to move on. "The gap between their performance on the field and what the number should be is not in balance," Hainer said. "Then we said, ‘Okay we will not do it. That's the end of the story.'""

Source Jan 2012

I'd like Nike if they provide a decent value or stick with NB if they can match Nike's offer.. Oh Happy Days :-)

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I'd personally like to see NB keep the deal. I don't mind Adidas footwear, I have just never been a fan of the Three Stripes accents on the shoulders. I would imagine their designers could be a little more innovative with how they incorporate those stripes. It looks cliche, even worse running the full length of a long sleeve shirt.

If they were able to give us something cleaner and classier along the lines of this older Colombia shirt, I would be all in on Adidas:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I find Adidas design really formulaic most of the time. But above all, I really cannot forgive the fact that from 2005 to 2010, we were by far their most profitable club brand - because we were generating loads of profile they were not paying for. Meanwhile, they were pumping all their marketing into Chelsea, Bayern, and Madrid. The only club they made more revenue from was Real Madrid, but LFC was getting paid a fraction of those three clubs. As soon as the club stumbled, Adidas dropped the club. The three stripes may as well be two stripes through an S.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
It never actually got done as was intended by Real Madrid but I can see us actually following the "Galactico" plan. Originally that plan was to introduce one Galactico mega signing (Van Dijk & Alisson) plus one academy graduate (Alexander-Arnold & Gomez) to the starting 11. If next season it's a "galactico" style signing plus an academy kid like Brewster replacing the back up forwards it'd be in line with that vision. On top of that maybe the occasional squad signing like backup GK and/or fullback cover.
I’d love to see more local kids coming through. But the point is that, for example, we know that Moreno is leaving, do we have a good left back cover in the ranks - or can we spend 10-20m on someone who’s going to be a really good option to Robbo?

Klopp can then strengthen properly where he knows there is no other option.

Signing of Allison really surprised me. Came out of nowhere. But it felt like we really meant business, and that’s what we have this season.

Great thing is that our 1st 11 is as good as any for a long long time - just need the squad depth like city, Chelsea and even united. We could challenge on more fronts.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I’d love to see more local kids coming through. But the point is that, for example, we know that Moreno is leaving, do we have a good left back cover in the ranks - or can we spend 10-20m on someone who’s going to be a really good option to Robbo?

Klopp can then strengthen properly where he knows there is no other option.

Signing of Allison really surprised me. Came out of nowhere. But it felt like we really meant business, and that’s what we have this season.

Great thing is that our 1st 11 is as good as any for a long long time - just need the squad depth like city, Chelsea and even united. We could challenge on more fronts.
Yeah I shouldn't have really used the term "starting 11" more the regular match day squad depending on fitness and form. Bringing in 1 or 2 squad players. 1 or 2 academy graduate squad players. One academy player eyed for a major role. And one stand out, spectacular, signing. That would be the perfect summer to me. For me that's a back up keeper and/or a back up full back (maybe can cover both sides) bought. A back up full back or two (Lewis and/or Camacho?) and/or a back up winger/attacker promoted (Wilson?). Brewster seems eyed for a big role. And a potentially top line player such as Jadon Sancho maybe?

Spitfire

Resident Realist
It was a flawed concept, and the larger issue was keeping the dressing room happy........I think they used Zidane and Pavon as the examples - but ultimately they thought they could not only get players from the academy for cheap but then also pay them on the cheap. It created divisions because regardles of where you come from if you are performing you want to be remunerated fairly.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It was a flawed concept, and the larger issue was keeping the dressing room happy........I think they used Zidane and Pavon as the examples - but ultimately they thought they could not only get players from the academy for cheap but then also pay them on the cheap. It created divisions because regardles of where you come from if you are performing you want to be remunerated fairly.
I think Klopp would make/is making sure it is done fairly here.

Last season Gomez and Alexander-Arnold were both given chances to break in to the main team as starting RB which Alexander-Arnold won. This season Gomez was given a chance to break in as one of our first choice CBs and appeared to have won it before injury.

Next season I expect Brewster to be given a chance to break in as one of our main attacking options in the way Origi has been used recently, sometimes wide sometimes central, but if he wins the position I think he'd be used more than Origi who seems a stop gap only.

Next after that maybe Curtis Jones or Hoever? Really do believe Klopp will manage the full integration of our top academy players into major roles in the squad this way, maybe not as structured as one per year, also maybe the occasional squad filler on a more short term basis too.

This allows him to take all this insane money the club is making and focus it on one or two mega buys per season.

Maybe one or two cheaper/bosman signings per year too when the squad has holes that need addressing (such as if Mignolet insists on leaving).

But as the squad is stable, we shouldn't be losing the players we don't want to, we can maybe surprise some with the occasional super high fee that nobody saw coming.

We've already done that with Van Dijk and Alisson when the squad has other, big, issues that needed addressing in the market.

We might not need to buy many players this summer, we could even be bringing in over 100 million in selling players that aren't required.

Even the joke above about Mbappe doesn't seem too outside the realms of possibility to me at the moment.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Not a fan either, but it's quite natural that fsg look first to make business with American enterprises. They have their connections there. And I'm not sure that Adidas or Puma, beyond being European enterprises, are better than Nike in regards to outsourcing work, allowing them to exploit children and to pay people a miserable salary in atrocious working conditions, for products who will then be sold for extremely hefty prices.

I think that all these big companies are on the same level in terms of cupidity and cynicism. So, it doesn't make any difference.

It would be nice to do what Barca did for a long time and have the Unicef logo on our club's shirt, for free. It would be great actually, but in this environment, it would make it impossible to remain competitive with the oil-fuelled clubs in this league, and with those who accept to make these deals. So, no choice but to accept the devil's money I'm afraid...

That being said, the inflation in there is absolutely staggering. Only six years ago, we struck a 25m deal per year, which was deemed one of the most lucrative ones at the time. And now, we are talking about 80m per year? Absolute fucking madness.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Errrr...... maybe Nike has less to do with this thread ---> https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/who-would-you-buy.15107/page-1226

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Not a fan either, but it's quite natural that fsg look first to make business with American enterprises. They have their connections there. And I'm not sure that Adidas or Puma, beyond being European enterprises, are better than Nike in regards to outsourcing work, allowing them to exploit children and to pay people a miserable salary in atrocious work conditions, for products who will then be sold for extremely hefty prices.

I think that all these big companies are on the same level in terms of cupidity and cynicism. So, it doesn't make any difference.

It would be nice to do what Barca did for a long time and have the Unicef logo on our club's shirt, for free. It would be great actually, but in this environment, it would make it impossible to remain competitive with the oil-fuelled clubs in this league, and with those who accept to make these deals. So, no choice but to accept the devil's money I'm afraid...

That being said, the inflation in there is absolutely staggering. Only six years ago, we struck a 25m deal per year, which was deemed one of the most lucrative ones at the time. And now, we are talking about 80m per year? Absolute fucking madness.
And 2% co-owner of Liverpool is Le Brom James.. Also sponsored by Nike.. It could be the start of a massive link up between FSG and Nike in more than football.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Errrr...... maybe Nike has less to do with this thread ---> https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/who-would-you-buy.15107/page-1226
True but there's no point the club making more money if it's not for a plan of how to benefit the club. Most obvious way of doing that is players on the pitch. Although we are also improving the training facilities and (hopefully still) the ground. So if this money goes towards those projects then there is more money freed up for improvement on the pitch.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
True but there's no point the club making more money if it's not for a plan of how to benefit the club. Most obvious way of doing that is players on the pitch. Although we are also improving the training facilities and (hopefully still) the ground. So if this money goes towards those projects then there is more money freed up for improvement on the pitch.
The club consists of shareholders, staff (playing and non-playing) and infrastructure. Buying players does not directly benefit the club, it's an investment risk which could go either way (increase or decrease club value) and dependent on asset performance. So club making more money so that they could afford to build better infrastructure (capital expenditure), pay their staff more money (human capital) and of course higher dividend yield (investment capital gain), still benefit the club. Buying players are acquiring players outside the club, so not directly benefit the club.

brush85

Anything that allows us to keep moving forward. Always been partial to nike but it doesn't matter.

The club is being ran superbly off the field. They'll get the best deal

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Here's a question for you all:

For many a year now, the last home game of the season features the kit for next season.... but this year, if we have a chance to win the league - should the team play in this seasons kit?

Arminius

FSG PR plant

For many a year now, the last home game of the season features the kit for next season.... but this year, if we have a chance to win the league - should the team play in this seasons kit?
Won't happen unless NB renews. They have rights to this entire season - up to them if they wish to use that to show a shirt for next season. Obviously, they won't do that if is Nike, or even if still undecided.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

League will be won by then.